• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen What is your current team in r/b/y?

Years
My current pok?mon red team is:
Zena (a nidoqueen level 68)
Kyle (a fearow level 68)
Dylan (a nidoking level 68)
Benny (a blastoise level 68)
Connor (a raticate level 68)
and Smokeweeds (a vileplume level 28).
My current pok?mon blue team is:
Phil (a charizard level 62)
Ian (a jolteon level 62)
Kate (a nidoqueen level 62)
Todd (a butterfree level 62)
Cedric (a graveler level 62)
and Zaxton (a aerodactyl level 33).

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
I just finished Blue a few days ago

My final team was

Venasaur (Level 49)
Fearow (Level 44)
Clefable (Level 43)
Kingler (Level 45)
Flareon (Level 43)
Rhydon (Level 49)

Kind of low leveled, but the elite four was still pretty easy.

Years
I just finished Blue a few days ago

My final team was

Venasaur (Level 49)
Fearow (Level 44)
Clefable (Level 43)
Kingler (Level 45)
Flareon (Level 43)
Rhydon (Level 49)

Kind of low leveled, but the elite four was still pretty easy.

You are really lucky to having a underleveled team like that and still knocking out the whole e4 and blue, congratulations.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Doing another Yellow run for kicks and this is my current roster:

Pikachu(level 55)
Charizard(level 56)
Sandslash(level 54)
Blastoise(level 50)
Mew(level 46)
Venusaur(level 55)

Mew, Venusaur and Blastoise are boxed right now since I'm busy training other Pokemon. I haven't even beaten Giovanni yet, hence most of those levels are from leveling up other Pokemon. My final team might change as I might opt to use random Pokemon I normally don't use.

Typically, I like having the following team:

Pikachu(Starter and solid Water/Flying coverage)
Vulpix(love my furry fox for Grass/Ice coverage. Jynx only applies on Ice though).
Lapras(Slow but incredibly strong Water/Ice STAB that covers Rock/Ground/Fire/Flying and Dragon)
Snorlax(Amnesia + Rest + Body Slam = GG)
Sandslash(favorite Ground type that destroys Electric, Poison, Rock and Fire types)
Butterfree(Get it for Brock and never look back).

Years
Doing another Yellow run for kicks and this is my current roster:

Pikachu(level 55)
Charizard(level 56)
Sandslash(level 54)
Blastoise(level 50)
Mew(level 46)
Venusaur(level 55)

Mew, Venusaur and Blastoise are boxed right now since I'm busy training other Pokemon. I haven't even beaten Giovanni yet, hence most of those levels are from leveling up other Pokemon. My final team might change as I might opt to use random Pokemon I normally don't use.

Typically, I like having the following team:

Pikachu(Starter and solid Water/Flying coverage)
Vulpix(love my furry fox for Grass/Ice coverage. Jynx only applies on Ice though).
Lapras(Slow but incredibly strong Water/Ice STAB that covers Rock/Ground/Fire/Flying and Dragon)
Snorlax(Amnesia + Rest + Body Slam = GG)
Sandslash(favorite Ground type that destroys Electric, Poison, Rock and Fire types)
Butterfree(Get it for Brock and never look back).
Nice and, mew, hmm, interesting.
Did you evolved your vulpix?

Venks

Water Pokémon Master
Years
My last speedrun in Pokemon Red was a silly attempt with Bulbasaur. Took me about 4 hours to beat the game, my team was:

Venasaur @ Lvl 60
Pidgey @ Lvl 13
Lapras @ Lvl 16
Paras @ Lvl 8
Moltres @ lvl 51

Lapras actually saved me a couple of times, knocking out Pokemon more than twice its level with Surf when Venasaur knocked them low. Also Moltres was super important against Agatha as ol boy Venasaur couldn't do much of anything to her.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Nice and, mew, hmm, interesting.
Did you evolved your vulpix?

Well in Generation 1, Glitches allow you flexibility or freedom to get Pokemon you otherwise couldn?t. Mew can be acquired through a special circumstance of the ?Hexidecimal? Glitch(aka Ditto Glitch since Ditto is used to ensure what Pokemon you encounter) and through that glitch, it?s possible to get level 100 Pokemon instantly. In my current playthrough, I?m in the process of filling out my Pok?dex. All I have left is to catch Omanyte, Eevee(twice), Ekans, Machamp and Alakazam. Latter two is because I can?t get them through trade evolution(GBC after all. I?ve already caught Gengar and Golem). I can also opt to get Mewtwo at level 1 wherein I can instantly make it level 100 as opposed to waiting until I beat the game to catch it at level 70. Now I?m simply training other Pokemon to evolve them and perhaps swap them into my party after enough training.

As for Vulpix, I?ve been known to go through games without evolving it since it?s my favorite Pokemon. In this run though, I will be to fill out the Dex. It may make my final party though since it?s Evolution is one of my favorite Fire types.

Years
Well in Generation 1, Glitches allow you flexibility or freedom to get Pokemon you otherwise couldn?t. Mew can be acquired through a special circumstance of the ?Hexidecimal? Glitch(aka Ditto Glitch since Ditto is used to ensure what Pokemon you encounter) and through that glitch, it?s possible to get level 100 Pokemon instantly. In my current playthrough, I?m in the process of filling out my Pok?dex. All I have left is to catch Omanyte, Eevee(twice), Ekans, Machamp and Alakazam. Latter two is because I can?t get them through trade evolution(GBC after all. I?ve already caught Gengar and Golem). I can also opt to get Mewtwo at level 1 wherein I can instantly make it level 100 as opposed to waiting until I beat the game to catch it at level 70. Now I?m simply training other Pokemon to evolve them and perhaps swap them into my party after enough training.

As for Vulpix, I?ve been known to go through games without evolving it since it?s my favorite Pokemon. In this run though, I will be to fill out the Dex. It may make my final party though since it?s Evolution is one of my favorite Fire types.

Well, kinda interesting i've saw videos of how to catch mew a long time ago in youtube, and i have done the mew glitch in yellow to catch gengar and it surprsingly worked, and then i used the tgb dual to trade the lvl 7 gengar to my pok?mon blue.
And i captured a vulpix in my team, i was thinking of using it and training it, but i already have a fire-type in my team, and i am also thinking of evolving it into ninetales, i simply don't know what to choose, keep charizard or pick vulpix.
And why you have 2 fire-types in your team?

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Well, kinda interesting i've saw videos of how to catch mew a long time ago in youtube, and i have done the mew glitch in yellow to catch gengar and it surprsingly worked, and then i used the tgb dual to trade the lvl 7 gengar to my pok?mon blue.
And i captured a vulpix in my team, i was thinking of using it and training it, but i already have a fire-type in my team, and i am also thinking of evolving it into ninetales, i simply don't know what to choose, keep charizard or pick vulpix.
And why you have 2 fire-types in your team?

Hexidecimal list <- Use this link to view all the Kanto Pokemon and their associated Hexidecimal values. You can force an encounter with ANY Kanto Pokemon in RBY on that list provided you have a Pokemon with a Special value corresponding to it. For those Pokemon at the top of the list, you can add 255 to their value(since the list repeats post 255, hence 256 would be Rhydon). To ensure you meet the Pokemon you want, you simply encounter a Wild Ditto and have it transform into the Pokemon with the Special stat wanted(since the encounter uses the special stat of the Pokemon last fought/encountered and Ditto copies the values when transforming(only thing it retains is hitpoints)). Meaning its possible in Red, Blue or Yellow to get Pokemon not native to your game without having to trade for it. You can even use the Ditto Glitch to get Pokemon that are hard to acquire(like the Kanto starters or Safari Zone Pokemon since Pokemon encounters via the glitch do not flee).

A special case of the above glitch can be found on the way to Bill's place north of Cerulean. To perform it, you need an Abra(which you can catch south of Cerulean). There's a trainer with a level 17 Slowpoke who has a Special stat of 21(the same as Mew). You then simply glitch a Trainer(say the one to the left of Nugget Bridge) by Teleporting back to Cerulean at the same time you come into his view. Then battle that Slowpoke Trainer(be sure to make him walk to you) and defeat him. Teleport back to Town once you do and walk towards Nugget Bridge. Menu will then open(which is a good thing) and then close to start an encounter with a level 7 Pokemon(in this case Mew). If you use "Growl" on the Slowpoke(or any Ditto you encounter for the Ditto Glitch), you can reduce the level of the encounter Pokemon by 1 for each time you use Growl. If you do it 6 times, it will be level 1(wherein you can pop it to level 100. Just know that Mew only knows Pound so have TM/HM's ready).

I also never have two Fire types within my party at any one time. If I opt to utilize Vulpix/Ninetales, Charizard or w/e Fire Type I have with me gets boxed. In Yellow version though, Charizard's usefulness is far greater due to being able to learn Fly. Therefore I can forego having a Flying Type like Fearow or Dodrio for getting around the region and lessens the need for Psychic Types since I can use Charizard to fight Grass, Bug and Fighting Types(while Sandslash or another Ground type can handle Poison and Ghost(since they have Poison Typing and no Levitate ability)). Also, if you want a solid Normal type to use, Tauros is widely considered to be the best option due to its incredible power and speed.

*I should add that the Ditto Glitch can be used to duplicate items(Ex: Master Balls or Rare Candies) using Hexidecimal values of 182 to 184(which are stable). Simply defeat the encounter Pokemon rather than catching it. Upon encountering them, items in the 6th slot will be "duplicated" This method is stable and I haven't witnessed it corrupting the game unlike the "Old Man" method in Red/Blue.

Last edited:
Years
Hexidecimal list <- Use this link to view all the Kanto Pokemon and their associated Hexidecimal values. You can force an encounter with ANY Kanto Pokemon in RBY on that list provided you have a Pokemon with a Special value corresponding to it. For those Pokemon at the top of the list, you can add 255 to their value(since the list repeats post 255, hence 256 would be Rhydon). To ensure you meet the Pokemon you want, you simply encounter a Wild Ditto and have it transform into the Pokemon with the Special stat wanted(since the encounter uses the special stat of the Pokemon last fought/encountered and Ditto copies the values when transforming(only thing it retains is hitpoints)). Meaning its possible in Red, Blue or Yellow to get Pokemon not native to your game without having to trade for it. You can even use the Ditto Glitch to get Pokemon that are hard to acquire(like the Kanto starters or Safari Zone Pokemon since Pokemon encounters via the glitch do not flee).

A special case of the above glitch can be found on the way to Bill's place north of Cerulean. To perform it, you need an Abra(which you can catch south of Cerulean). There's a trainer with a level 17 Slowpoke who has a Special stat of 21(the same as Mew). You then simply glitch a Trainer(say the one to the left of Nugget Bridge) by Teleporting back to Cerulean at the same time you come into his view. Then battle that Slowpoke Trainer(be sure to make him walk to you) and defeat him. Teleport back to Town once you do and walk towards Nugget Bridge. Menu will then open(which is a good thing) and then close to start an encounter with a level 7 Pokemon(in this case Mew). If you use "Growl" on the Slowpoke(or any Ditto you encounter for the Ditto Glitch), you can reduce the level of the encounter Pokemon by 1 for each time you use Growl. If you do it 6 times, it will be level 1(wherein you can pop it to level 100. Just know that Mew only knows Pound so have TM/HM's ready).

I also never have two Fire types within my party at any one time. If I opt to utilize Vulpix/Ninetales, Charizard or w/e Fire Type I have with me gets boxed. In Yellow version though, Charizard's usefulness is far greater due to being able to learn Fly. Therefore I can forego having a Flying Type like Fearow or Dodrio for getting around the region and lessens the need for Psychic Types since I can use Charizard to fight Grass, Bug and Fighting Types(while Sandslash or another Ground type can handle Poison and Ghost(since they have Poison Typing and no Levitate ability)). Also, if you want a solid Normal type to use, Tauros is widely considered to be the best option due to its incredible power and speed.

*I should add that the Ditto Glitch can be used to duplicate items(Ex: Master Balls or Rare Candies) using Hexidecimal values of 182 to 184(which are stable). Simply defeat the encounter Pokemon rather than catching it. Upon encountering them, items in the 6th slot will be "duplicated" This method is stable and I haven't witnessed it corrupting the game unlike the "Old Man" method in Red/Blue.
Thank you, also what is your team in red and blue?

Last edited:

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Thank you, also what is your team in red and blue?

I don't own Red/Blue, only Yellow. Ditto glitch works in all 3 versions. If I was to play either Red or Blue, my team would likely be the following:

Red:
Blastoise
Raichu
Vileplume(Red Exclusive)
Hypno/Alakazam
Arcanine(Red exclusive)
Fearow

Blue:
Blastoise
Raichu
Sandslash(Blue Exclusive)
Ninetales(Blue Exclusive)
Hypno/Alakazam
Fearow

Last edited:
Years
I don't own Red/Blue, only Yellow. Ditto glitch works in all 3 versions. If I was to play either Red or Blue, my team would likely be the following:

Red:
Blastoise
Raichu
Vileplume(Red Exclusive)
Hypno/Alakazam
Arcanine(Red exclusive)
Fearow

Blue:
Blastoise
Raichu
Sandshrew(Blue Exclusive)
Ninetales(Blue Exclusive)
Hypno/Alakazam
Fearow

That would be a good team, tbh, you know there is something called emulators?
Just saying.
Blastoise must be your favorite starter do you?

Last edited:

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
I am sure it took a lot of time to raise those 3 starters.

Kanto starters in Yellow don?t take long to raise when you have them all by the time you have three badges. Heck you can get Charmander and Bulbasaur before you even face Misty. Plus Mew grows exceptionally fast and is extremely strong so leveling it is rather easy. Just takes a bit of time and grinding to get them to a battle capable level.

Years
Kanto starters in Yellow don?t take long to raise when you have them all by the time you have three badges. Heck you can get Charmander and Bulbasaur before you even face Misty. Plus Mew grows exceptionally fast and is extremely strong so leveling it is rather easy. Just takes a bit of time and grinding to get them to a battle capable level.

I think you are right, but in red and blue you can choose only one, i agree with the idea of having 3 starters at my team in yellow, did you put tms on them? I always put tm26 on my blastoise or charizard (depending on what i choose, because blastoise is my starter of choice) because is my favorite ground-type move, in my charizard in blue i have put fissure and fire blast, because i already beat giovanni, the problem i have with fissure, is because it misses a lot, is annoying as hell, did you have learned fissure at one of your starters? Fissure is like earthquake but the difference is that is inaccurate and can miss so many times.
And more, did you learned earthquake at one of your pok?mons?

Last edited:

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
I think you are right, but in red and blue you can choose only one, i agree with the idea of having 3 starters at my team in yellow, did you put tms on them? I always put tm26 on my blastoise or charizard (depending on what i choose, because blastoise is my starter of choice) because is my favorite ground-type move, in my charizard in blue i have put fissure and fire blast, because i already beat giovanni, the problem i have with fissure, is because it misses a lot, is annoying as hell, did you have learned fissure at one of your starters? Fissure is like earthquake but the difference is that is inaccurate and can miss so many times.
And more, did you learned earthquake at one of your pok?mons?

I only use one TM on Kanto starters and that?s if I have Squirtle in my party. If I do, I teach it Ice Beam for Lance?s Dragons. Otherwise it?s only HM?s(Cut for Bulbasaur, Strength and/or Fly on Charizard(Yellow only on Fly) and Surf for Blastoise). In fact, I rarely use TM?s. Only ones I habitually use are Ice Beam and Dig.

While Earthquake is indeed nice, I?d prefer to get STAB out of it so I typically get Geodude or Diglett(who learn the move naturally). Plus the only time I?d use Earthquake is against Electric or Poison Pokemon(wherein Dig can more than do the job against Electric and other types can handle Poison(like Psychic)). I must also point out that you can get the other Kanto starters in Red/Blue via Ditto glitch. Since Ditto appears on Route 15(far earlier than Cinnabar Mansion in Yellow) you theoretically can get them without battling Erika, Koga or Sabrina(just will take a lot of grinding to get the Special value needed). Bulbasaur takes a special of 153, Charmander is 176 and Squirtle is 177. Since Psychic Pokemon typically have high Special stat, simply train Mew or another Psychic type and you should have it by level 60 or so(if not less).

Years
I only use one TM on Kanto starters and that?s if I have Squirtle in my party. If I do, I teach it Ice Beam for Lance?s Dragons. Otherwise it?s only HM?s(Cut for Bulbasaur, Strength and/or Fly on Charizard(Yellow only on Fly) and Surf for Blastoise). In fact, I rarely use TM?s. Only ones I habitually use are Ice Beam and Dig.

While Earthquake is indeed nice, I?d prefer to get STAB out of it so I typically get Geodude or Diglett(who learn the move naturally). Plus the only time I?d use Earthquake is against Electric or Poison Pokemon(wherein Dig can more than do the job against Electric and other types can handle Poison(like Psychic)). I must also point out that you can get the other Kanto starters in Red/Blue via Ditto glitch. Since Ditto appears on Route 15(far earlier than Cinnabar Mansion in Yellow) you theoretically can get them without battling Erika, Koga or Sabrina(just will take a lot of grinding to get the Special value needed). Bulbasaur takes a special of 153, Charmander is 176 and Squirtle is 177. Since Psychic Pokemon typically have high Special stat, simply train Mew or another Psychic type and you should have it by level 60 or so(if not less).
Nice, and when i play pok?mon red and blue, i never realized that earthquake can sometimes one hit psychic types, looks like psychic has a hidden weakness to ground and normal types, because hyper beam also can one hit blue's alakazam, even the psychic move can one hit graveler, seriously is me or the pok?mons have a secret weakness?
Also, giovanni wasn't really that hard to beat, simply, an nidoqueen with an decent moveset like ice beam, surf, horn drill and earthquake can easily take out ground, grass, fire, rock, psychic and even bug types.
I decided to make her teach surf because of lack of water type pok?mon, so why not teach a dual poison-ground type to surf into the ocean.
And if you wanna know, my charizard in blue has the following moveset: slash, fissure, fire blast and flamethrower.
I teached it fissure because i only had one tm earthquake, i had to teach it to kate.
Is it decent?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Apr 23, 2019
Nice, and when i play pok?mon red and blue, i never realized that earthquake can sometimes one hit psychic types, looks like psychic has a hidden weakness to ground and normal types, because hyper beam also can one hit blue's alakazam, even the psychic move can one hit graveler, seriously is me or the pok?mons have a secret weakness?
Also, giovanni wasn't really that hard to beat, simply, an nidoqueen with an decent moveset like ice beam, surf, horn drill and earthquake can easily take out ground, grass, fire, rock, psychic and even bug types.
I decided to make her teach surf because of lack of water type pok?mon, so why not teach a dual poison-ground type to surf into the ocean.
And if you wanna know, my charizard in blue has the following moveset: slash, fissure, fire blast and flamethrower.
I teached it fissure because i only had one tm earthquake, i had to teach it to kate.
Is it decent?

No, Psychics doesnt have any weaknesses to ground or normal.
For all its power, alakazam simply has garbage physical defense, and the AI stats might not be the greatest. Hyper beam + stab can quite often ohk Zam with certain pokemons.

Years
No, Psychics doesnt have any weaknesses to ground or normal.
For all its power, alakazam simply has garbage physical defense, and the AI stats might not be the greatest. Hyper beam + stab can quite often ohk Zam with certain pokemons.

Oh thanks for explaining, i though it was because it was weak against ground or normal.
The same thing happens with graveler when using psychic on him.

Last edited:
Back