• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

[PKMN FULL] Hisui Legends [M][IC]

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 23, 2024

[tab=kenji-1][/tab] [tab=kenjipkmn-1][/tab] [tab=kenjijournal-1][/tab] [tab=haruswagon-1][/tab]

1 - Daybreak

Somewhere in the forests just beyond the village gates, a small Survey Corps team is returning from their reconnaissance expedition. They are tired and slightly beat up, but proud of the progress made and eager to return home. On the way back to Jubilife, however, faint, metallic scrapes that sound like clashing steel catches the attention of an alert scout.

"Sir," He stops in his tracks. "Do you hear that? I—the village! We must be under attack—"

The captain leading their mission gestures for him to be quiet as he holds up a hand and listens intently. His eyes scan the horizon briefly, and he drops his hand with a dismissive wave.

"Ah. It's the Kimura kid's bird. The one in Security." He frowns. "That thing just kind of roams around on its own when he's off duty. Not really a threat, it seems, but scares the villagers nonetheless. Especially when it does that in the middle of the night. I'll try to talk to one of Security higher ups about it, see if the boy can't be persuaded to keep it in a Poké Ball or a cage or something. Anyway, don't worry about it right now. We're on pace to return by daybreak. Keep moving."

🌲 obsidian fieldlands 🕙 early morning

Under the fading stars of the dawn, Kenji sits cross-legged by a tree with a small, wooden washbasin next to him. He likes it out here. A lot of the villagers are afraid to step outside of Jubilife's gates, but it doesn't seem as dangerous as everyone believes it to be. Perhaps it's just because he's not strayed too far out yet. He swishes a handful of berries from Haru's wagon in the cool water and looks on with amusement as his brother's Skarmory and a wild, grey bird Pokémon engage in some form of chasing game.

"Why don't you go play, too?" He suggests to his stalwart companion. Sure, he can't fly, but maybe they can modify the rules of the game a little. Unhitched from the wagon, Haru could still run around in the forest and have some fun. He never seems to have fun anymore. The Skiddo tilts his head, considering this briefly before returning to his wagon's side to stand guard. Kenji gives him a sad smile. "Oh, buddy. It's not going anywhere. And look, they found another friend. Hey Miyu, can Haru play with you guys?"

The Skarmory doesn't respond, but the two birds descend upon the new rodent-like Pokémon they'd noticed. Perched on a lower branch, it skitters back and forth as they fly around it. Kenji watches with intrigue as they seem to mimic the directions it moves in.

In a swift motion, Miyu suddenly snatches the little beast off the branch and flies up. The other bird Pokémon knocks into her, prompting the Skarmory to drop the creature she is holding. It falls to the ground and looks a little dazed, but quickly rights itself before scurrying off and disappearing in the brambles. Incensed, the Skarmory rakes at her opponent with metal claws. The grey bird spreads its wings to charge at Miyu in response, knocking her into the tree behind her.

Ah.

They are not playing.

A chilly gust of wind reminds him he hadn't brought his overcoat. Kenji shivers. It suddenly feels a lot less tranquil out here. Maybe it's time to go.

"O-kay," He stands up, putting away the clean berries as Haru climbs into his harness. Kenji empties the water in the washbasin under a tree and loads up the little wagon. "Well, it's about time to head back and make breakfast, I think. Miyu, are you coming—no, I guess not. Okay, carry on. We'll see you at home."

kimura residence 🕙 morning

"Just onigiri, miso soup and some fresh berries today, didn't have time to come up with anything fun." Kenji rattles off what's on the menu this morning as he swiftly sets the table for three. From the corner of his eye, he could see his brother exhale with a grin. "You don't have to look so relieved."

"I'm not." Takeo insists defensively. Kenji turns to face him with a skeptical smirk and he quickly relents with a sigh. "I'm just saying, there's been a lot of strange stews lately and there's nothing wrong with a good, traditional miso soup. Back me up, Gran."

"Well, I think Kenji's cooking is wonderful, no matter what he makes." Their grandma chortles as she takes her place at the table. "Where's your sense of adventure?"

"Reserved for my actual adventures, I'm afraid—not my taste buds."

"But you liked the caster fern-wrapped rice I made last night, yes?" Kenji asks.

Takeo considers this for a moment as he pops a berry into his mouth. "Yeah, that was alright."

"Okay, noted!" Kenji bounces on his heels, excited for the breakthrough in getting somewhere with his brother's picky tastes. "I think using the fern to wrap it all up helps trap the flavors of the mushrooms as it all cooks, and even Miyu seemed to—" He stops abruptly as he scans their house for the Skarmory. "Hey, is she back yet? Miyu, I mean. She followed me out this morning, but, uh. We kinda split up."

His older brother shakes his head. "No, she's probably still getting her own breakfast. She'll just meet me on the way to work as usual, I assume." He continues scarfing down his meal, unconcerned.

Kenji fidgets. "I left her in the forest this morning when she started fighting a big, grey bird for... 'breakfast'. She'll be fine, right?"

Takeo laughs. "What, against a Staraptor? Yeah, of course. I've not seen anything Miyu needs to be afraid of 'round here, and she knows not to wander too far without me. Don't worry 'bout her." He tips the remainder of his soup down the hatch and wipes his mouth on the back of his hand. "Okay, I'm off. Thank you for breakfast, brother. Bye, Gran!"

Kenji watches as Takeo grabs his sword and heads out the door with a wave. "Well, he's probably right." He shrugs.

"Probably. No need to fret, dear." Gran agrees, sipping her tea. "Now, sit down. Eat." She prods his stomach. "You're all skin and bones still. Just preparing the food doesn't make you full, you know."

"I know! I am!" Kenji smiles, finally taking his seat as his grandma launches into a passionate rant about how much tougher it's been to weave Aiko's wool into fabric, with the dry, autumn air being so much more conducive to static build-up. He nods along absently while he eats, until he feels something lightly poke his shin. He looks down to see Haru gently butting into him with his horn, reminding him of their duties.

"Oh—sorry to cut this short but I should get going too, now. Come, Haru." He beckons to the Skiddo as he stands up. "Bye, Gran, we'll pick this up after work!"

"Ah, ah, ah. Kenji, come back." He stops just outside of their doorway to let his grandmother catch up. She tsks as she reaches over to tie up the belt of his uniform.

"Gran," Kenji whines. "Stop that."

"Stop trying to leave the house like a slob if this embarrasses you." She shoots back firmly. The old lady is small and frail, but her voice is not. "Your work may not be as flashy or glamorous, but it's honest, hard work; you keep us all fed. And this is a fine uniform. Wear it with pride."

The girl sweeping up the front porch next door glances over. The rowhouses on Canala Avenue are all fairly close together, so she must have heard their conversation. She giggles as their eyes meet and he winks at her. "Yes, Gran."

"Good boy." His grandmother reaches up to give him a pat on the shoulder. "Now, stand up tall and report to Leader Colza."

Party

Skiddo ♂ // Haru

Synthesis
Rain Dance
Sunny Day
Leech Seed
Razor Leaf
Tackle

Journal

1 - Daybreak

Haru's Wagon
(Inventory)

Currently empty​

Foxrally

[img]http://i.imgur.com/omi0jS3.gif[/img]
Years
4TxuOPL.png
Mina Yan
Construction corps
komala.gif
Komala ♂ Yawn / Snore / Play Rough / Substitute / - / - / Comatose

aqOunfh.jpg
Starlies were chirping, Cherrim were opening their petals, and flowers were dancing in the early breeze as nature slowly awakened; the gentle morning sun peeking through the clouds and shining brightly on the streets of Jubilife, signalling that another day had dawned, bringing with it new hopes, aspirations and stories ready to be seized by he fair residents of the village.

…and Mina was still awake.

Clutching the makeshift weapon in her hands, the girl was still on her bed, sitting across from the grey, furry intruder sleeping on the floor. The room was still a mess from the night before, with straw scattered all over the floor and the furniture having been moved either to act as a blockade between her and the Pokemon, or as a way to box in the beast and lead it to the door. Mina's eyes were heavy and bloodshot, her hair frizzed and loose; she hadn't even changed out of her uniform, the dirt-stained, untied Kimono now loosely hanging from her shoulders. She found herself continuously leaning against the wall in brief waves of exhaustion, before snapping herself awake once her head bumped against the wood - only to find the Pokemon hadn't even moved at all from its position. She rubbed her bleary eyes with a free hand and dragged it across her face.

"Just gotta… wait it out…"

The accursed creature in front of her had spent the entire night gorging itself on the leftover stew, grabbing every minuscule bite with its hands before licking its fingers in a mind-numbingly slow process. She had hoped it would get full at some point, or tired, or perhaps even uncomfortable from the constant effort of holding onto the fake-leg, but no - eight hours later, here it was, licking and biting at the edges of the pot with its tiny mouth, showing no signs of leaving. It hadn't even stopped to rest in between the bites of food - was this thing asleep at all, or did it just never wake up…? And in that case, was it ever truly asleep to begin with? What if that was its survival strategy, out-awaking its prey after cornering them by simply pretending to be asleep? Was Mina's fate already sealed? Had she fallen into a trap, and simply served herself on a silver, oran-stew-garnished platter?

"Mmmmaaaahhh." The Pokemon opened its mouth wide and let out a soft yawn.

The young woman blinked and shook her head; okay, the lack of sleep was really getting to her. She clutched the broomstick in her hands a little tighter; if this Pokemon was some sort of unsleeping ghost-type, perhaps it would disappear in the daytime. And if it tried to attack her…

"I'll be reh… reh… readyyy…" her voice trailed off as her eyes drooped and she slumped over, dropping the broomstick.

Suddenly, three loud knocks sounded through the front door. "Alola!"

It was the voice of her survey corps friend, Maoka. "Oy, Mina! You awake in there?"

Mina once was once again startled awake, her eyes snapping open as she leaned up and let out a confused groan.

"I can hear you tossing and turning in there! I'm coming inside, okay?"

Before Mina could even register his words and mumble something in protest, the wooden door slid open and Makoa stepped in, the blue-uniformed young man entering backwards to take his shoes off. He wasn't properly dressed yet, lacking the usual survey corps pouch or hat, instead letting his braided hair hang loose. "I just wanted to make sure you didn't oversleep after last night," he began, "you sure don't want lukānela Sanqua to think you're a… late…"

His voice trailed off as he turned around and witnessed the scene before him. "Tapu Bulu, what the hell happened here?!"

"Long… story…" Mina muttered, fighting desperately to stay awake against the unnatural wave of drowsiness.

"Are you okay? You look like you haven't slept at all, what happened to your clothes? Why is your furniture all over the room, and why is your sock- wait, is that a Pokemon?!"

The Alolan's eyes grew wide as they landed on the small, furry figure sleeping beside the cooking pot. The look of shock was quickly replaced with a toothy grin as he walked up to the creature and crouched down, "And a Komala, no less!"

With whatever little strength she had, Mina managed to raise her arm in an effort to stop him. "S-stop… It could be… dangerous…"

Makoa laughed and shook his head, "Komalas, dangerous? These sleepy things couldn't hurt a cutiefly if they wanted to!" He picked up the grey Pokemon by its shoulders. "Isn't that right, you little hiamoe? Look at that smile!"

The Komala opened its mouth, letting out a happy gurgle before waving its limbs back towards the floor, signaling it wanted to go back to its pillow.

Makoa chuckled and put the young Pokemon back down before looking at Mina again. "Okay, now I need to know this story."

Mina opened her mouth to say something, but she barely squeaked out a word before slumping sideways again, overwhelmed by the exhaustion. "Sleepy…"

"Ah, it must've used Yawn on you." Makoa mused as he reached into his pocket, rummaging around for a bit before handing her a purple-tipped yellow berry. "This should help. Humans tend to feel the effects of it a lot faster than Pokemon."

Mina groggily reached for the berry and stuffed it into her mouth. It had a nutty, coffee-like taste, and as she chewed on it, she felt a burst of energy course through her, jolting her senses awake.

She sat up properly, blinking as she looked at the half-eaten fruit. "Wh-whoa- what is this?"

"Chesto berry," Makoa replied. "Real useful out in the field. Wards off the ghost types and their hypnosis."

Mina scowled and she glared at the Komala. "This thing tried to hypnotize me?!"

"No, no- your body probably just responded to its yawning. A lot of 'regular' things Pokemon do can have secondary effects, take for example their sweat-"

"Okay, I get it, just- please, get it away from me." Mina closed her eyes and raised her hands, motioning toward the Pokemon.

"Hold on. You still haven't told me how you managed to find a Komala all by yourself; these guys tend to be pretty skittish, even back home. They're native to Alola, and pretty rare anywhere else, so it's not normal for one to wander so close to a human settlement."

Mina opened her mouth to respond, then paused for a second, before accepting how ridiculous her answer would sound regardless of how she framed it. "...it fell out of the sky."

"...what?"

"I- alright, so, I was walking back home, and this giant bird-thing was flying above me, and I thought it looked really weird at first, but then I realized it was two Pokemon and they were fighting over a berry-"

"Midair?"

"I know!" Mina nodded vehemently. "And I was going to take another path home, but then I noticed the fighting got more intense, and suddenly, that grey furball was falling to the ground."

Makoa raised an eyebrow. "And it landed on you?"

Mina bit her tongue. "It… well… I don't know what got over me…" she began slowly, "...but for some reason… I thought I could catch it."

"Ahahah! Seriously?"

"Shut up!" Mina's face turned red. "What else was I supposed to do?!"

"I just want to know where the real Mina is and what you've done to her." Makoa continued to laugh, shaking his head.

"Yeah, well- it was probably one of its mind-controlling hypnosis tricks." the girl exhaled out of her nose. "Anyway, after that mistake, it ended up following me home, and now here I am, here it is, here you are." Mina motioned towards the Komala. "You can take it away now; that's what you survey people do, right?"

"Well, not exactly… I'd have to ask the kapena about it first, then defer it to the medical corps to make sure it's not sick or anything. But I guess I can hold onto the little guy until then." Makoa crouched down to face the Komala. "How's that sound, my friend?"

As he reached out to pet the Pokemon, its body suddenly dissipated into smoke. Both humans blinked and looked at each other.

Mina shot up and looked around the room. "Is it actually gone? Oh, thank- aah!" As she took a step forward, she felt the furry creature rub against her leg again, and nearly tripped backwards. "How does it keep doing that?!"

"Part of my job is figuring it out." Makoa laughed. "Well, clearly our little hiamoe buddy here isn't ready to let go of you."

Almost on cue, the Komala mumbled out a cry, climbing a little higher up Mina's leg.

"What am I supposed to do then?!"

"Just stay together until I can get the survey corps to relocate it. I shouldn't take more than a few days, at most."

"A few days?! I could barely last a few hours with this thing! A yawn is enough to knock me out, gods forbid it snores or something-" Mina could feel her chest tighten as she tried to calm her breathing.

"Mina." Makoa placed a hand on her shoulder. "You'll be fine. It won't be for long, and Komala here is nothing to worry about. You did the right thing by saving its life… the least you can do now is follow through with it."

Mina looked at her friend and took a deep breath. "...okay."

She glanced at the now-lopsided clock hanging from her wall and gasped; "Ah, crap! I'm going to be late for work!"

"Better holo then, girl!" Makoa laughed as he headed to the exit. "I'll see you at dinner, yeah? Try not to worry so much!" He called out before closing the door.

Mina sighed and looked at the Komala on her leg. "Yeah, I'll try."
yoMiVe7.png

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
mKRWaSz.jpg
Adam Maynard
diglett.gif

Over The River and Through The Wood II

"Hello? Anyone out there?"

Adam pushed away the low-hanging branches from his chosen path. The river continued to run beside him, though the waters had slowed as he made his way deeper into the woods. Gone were the soothing sounds of the river's burbling, and the resonating cries of the rocks within as the the cool water trickled over them in the warmth of the midday sun. Instead, they'd both been replaced with an eerie sort of quiet, one that was much too still to be chalked up to simply being 'alone'.

The elderly man pressed on his back gently, holding on to one of the branches for a few seconds longer as he surveyed the area. With a soft sigh, he pulled a canteen from his pack and began to fill it in the river that had led him in. "Suppose he might be thirsty when we do find him. Best to fill up while the river's still close, I'd say."

Adam smiled, looking at the small spiders which had covered their heads with a sort of watery orb as they scurried away from the hand which dipped into their home. "Now, now... I'm not here to hurt you. My apologies for disturbing your slumber little ones." The man took a few steps back, taking a seat on a fallen log as he took a sip from the freshly filled vessel.

"Dew?"

One of the tiny Pokemon poked its head out from behind a rock several feet away from the river it had surfaced from. The sound signaled a 'great returning' of sorts as many more of the creatures than Adam had originally seen escape from their homes quickly made their way back to the river, burrowing and burying themselves in the loose pebbles and rocks which made up the riverbed.

Adam started to pull out the string-bound notebook, and then hesitated as he began searching for a writing utensil. "Observations can always wait." The man muttered, placing his book back in his pack before wiping the moisture from his moustache. "For now, I'm to get back to the search. That lad has spent far too long out here already - and may well have already made the same observations as I during his tenure."

The man placed both of his hands against the log and struggled to push himself back to his feet. Adam's eyes closed as his nails braced him against the bark, and then with a shudder, he managed to lift himself back up.

"Hoo. Boy... can't be doing that too many more times now, can we?"

"Dig?"

Adam looked down at the tiny Pokemon which had just poked its head up beside him. Mort jittered slightly, his attention swapping between the Pokemon that had just re-entered the river and the man who he'd been leading around for the last several hours. The Diglett ducked below the dirt, leaving only its eyes and the top of its head visible as it twisted and turned, as if on a swivel.

"Here, friend." Adam smiled, pulling a small berry from his pack. "A treat, to thank you for the help thus far."

"Dig?" The Pokemon replied, its head slowly rising out from the fresh hole it had created. Mort inched closer to the fruit, taking a moment to examine it from a distance before bounding back beneath the earth. Only a second or two later, the Pokemon re-emerged just inches from where the berry lay and began to partake of the fresh fruit.

"Hoohoo, good lad. I'm happy that you're enjoying it." The man smiled, pulling an apple from his pack before taking a knife to it. Adam cut the fruit into eight wedges, and then with a shaky hand began to peel back the skin from the fruit's flesh before slipping one of the cleaned wedges into his mouth. "Hmm... hmm..." Adam slowly closed his eyes, pressing the piece of apple against the roof of his mouth over and over, savoring the sweetness of the fruit before taking a sip of water to wash the mash down.

"Hera?"

Adam slowly opened his eyes, turning his attention towards the new sound. "Oh, well that certainly is a large horn, isn't it? A bit of a heart-shape to it, or perhaps more practically put, a spade. Hmm..." the man sat still, slowly continuing to peel the apple as he watched the creature approach his own Mort, its eyes fixated on the berry which had only a few of the tiniest of bites taken from its flesh as it sat on the forest floor.

"Herahera." The Pokemon pointed at the berry and took a demanding step forward, causing Mort to slowly retreat into his burrow.

"Hey now, don't go stealing others' food. If you'd like one, there's more than enough to go around." Adam rocked back and forth a few times before managing to find his footing. The man quickly made his way over towards the two Pokemon, placing himself between the newcomer and the berry he'd offered to Mort. "That berry there belongs to my small friend. If you'd like, I could offer you a bit of a larger one?"

The Pokemon stared at Adam, its eyes unblinking as its mouth slowly opened and closed with its gentle breathing. The survey corps member watched the Pokemon carefully, unsure of what to expect from the horned creature. A few minutes passed, and seeing as there was no rising conflict, the man slowly reached into his pack and produced another - albeit significantly larger - pomeg berry.

"Here, for you, my friend." Adam held out the berry towards the new Pokemon, taking a seat just beside Mort. "And for you, an apple slice?" The man questioned, letting his hand hover just above the Diglett's head beside him as he dexterously split one of the wedges into two with a single hand.

The elderly survey corps member's mind was fixated on the task he'd been giving upon setting out from their base camp, but from his brief introduction to this new Pokemon he'd reasoned that it was likely the same that he'd considered searching out to aid him in finding his missing associate. There was a building unease in his mind as the seconds turned to minutes, but as the Pokemon across from him began to feast on the offering, he pushed the thoughts aside and began to consider how best to proceed now that he'd found the first part of his plan.

"Hmm, wild Pokemon, 'tame' Pokemon... the differences between these two is quite interesting for one who has come to know and befriend one. Though I'll not proclaim myself an expert of any kind, I do wonder..." the man shook his head. "There's much younger men and women out here seeking those very same answers. I've already lived my life, there's no need to go stealing their glory away with my own daytime fantasies."

"Hera?" The new Pokemon seemingly replied, holding out its 'hand' towards the elderly man.

"Ho ho... another, then? Alright, but after that I'll need your help - you understand?" Adam looked down at the Pokemon as he pulled another larger Pomeg berry from his pouch. The man smiled, despite the Pokemon's unwavering expression. "Very well... here you go, friend."

"Hera!" The Pokemon exclaimed excitedly as it quickly snatched the berry from the elderly man's hand and began to gnaw on the exterior.

Adam watched patiently as the Pokemon made quick work of the second fruit, and then smiled warmly as the bug turned back towards him once more - the juice and some of the fleshy exterior of the fruit still hanging from its face as a familiar 'hand' reached towards him once more.

"Yes, yes... I have many more where that came from. But first-" the man slowly pulled a third Pomeg berry from his pouch and dangled it before the Pokemon's eyes before pulling his hand back. "Have you seen this insignia around here?" Adam furrowed his brow slightly, unsure of what if any of his words would make it through to the untamed creature. His hand motioned towards the patch on his shoulder a few more times, the fruit tracing the fabric of his sleeve as he watched the Pokemon with bated breath.

"...Hera?" The Pokemon tilted its head slightly, its gaze slowly switching from the berry to the insignia.

A few more quiet moments passed as the rotation of the berry began to slow, and the smile on Adam's face began to fade. "Ah... hmm..."

"Hera." The Pokemon replied, turning away from the man before continuing on into the forest.

Adam slowly put the berry back into his pack, though his gaze never left the Pokemon as it took its leave. His brow continued to sit furrowed upon the frames of his glasses as he pressed them further up the bridge of his nose; watching, waiting, and hoping for the Pokemon to turn back towards him, or give them any indication that it had understood what he was after whatsoever.

The man watched as the Pokemon's form disappeared into the thick of the trees, and then he waited, no longer following the creature's form but instead the rustling of the distant leaves and the shadows which crept along even deeper within. His breathing continued, a little more rapidly now as he waited to see the fruits of his labors.

And he waited...

And waited...

Patiently...

Waiting...

Adam wiped the sweat from his brow as he ran his hand through his hair. The man let out a quiet sigh as he began to shift over towards the fallen log he'd previously been seated upon. "Seems we're back to our own devices then..."

"Hera?"

The cry came from just behind the man, mere seconds after he'd deigned to turn his back on the forest into which the Pokemon had disappeared. The sound of it startled him wholly, causing him to shoot forward into a kneeling position. "By God, lad... don't startle me like that." The man pressed the three middle fingers of his right hand into the left side of his chest and began to rub gently as he rose to his feet. His gaze slowly turned towards the Pokemon which had returned to him after he'd already given up hope. "...Here for another berry?"

"Hera." The Pokemon nodded, producing a small bit of torn cloth which had emblazoned onto it a torn, but still recognizable isnignia.

"My, my... you've actually done it." The man smiled, quickly fumbling for the berry he'd previously promised. "Do you remember where you found it? Can you lead me to him?"

The Pokemon excitedly grasped for the berry, turning its back on the man as it started to walk back in the way that it had come.

Adam smiled, twirled his moustache, and then placed his canteen back into his pack before sealing it back. "Come on, Mort. I do believe we've got a lead."

"Dig!" The Pokemon excitedly popped beneath the ground, only to pop up beside the Pokemon which was set to lead them further into the forest. "Dig, dig, dig."

"Hera." The Pokemon nodded, raising the berry to its mouth but not yet digging in.

Years
Monthly Update #2

Available Pokemon

Obsidian Fieldlands
216.png
172.png
420.png
214.png
108.png
265.png
422.png
415.png
234.png
129.png
396.png
266.png

Crimson Mirelands
418.png
201.png
415.png
281.png
339.png
315.png
172.png
095.png
427.png
425.png
446.png
436.png

Optional Prompts

- A Pokemon has taken up residence in the village and has done nothing but cause trouble.
- Delegates from the Diamond and Pearl clans are visiting the village. Babysit them and keep them from getting on each others nerves.
- A member of the survey corps has gone missing in the wilds.
- A group of Pokemon have been eating the agricultural corps' crops.
- A strange item has washed ashore on Prelude Beach. What is it? Can it be useful?
- Tao Hua is refusing to supply Choy again. Better help Choy get some goods for himself or do something to calm Captain Tao down.
- Galaxy Team members keep reporting seeing mysterious lights in the night.

Alpha Catch Opportunities

There is only one of each of these, so whoever claims first gets to make the catch!

Foxrally

Years
4TxuOPL.png
Mina Yan
Construction corps
komala.gif

U9w2CBu.jpg
As Mina reached the Galaxy Hall, she stopped herself right at the front door to catch her breath. Glancing at her reflection in the window, she patted down the loose flyaway hair and dusted her uniform off, giving it one final top-to-bottom check. Kimono was clean, belt was neatly tied, shorts were (mostly) dust-free, and…

"Maaah."

Almost as if noticing her gaze meeting its own reflection, the accursed Komala on her sock let out a yawn as it buried its face into Mina's shin.

Mina felt a shiver go down her spine, but stifled it with a deep breath. "No. Just act natural, and you'll get through the day."

She pushed open the door and jogged up the stairs, giving Bagin a hasty wave as she passed him. As she turned the corner into the construction corps offices, she found the main door already open - a lucky sign! If she got to her own office quickly enough, she could stuff the little pest in a corner for the rest of the day and not have to think about it anymore. Mina slipped through the entrance, mumbled a few greetings and made a beeline for her desk.

She was barely a few steps away from the door when a looming female silhouette suddenly appeared in her path.

Mina gulped and looked up.

"Hey! Good morning!"

"O-oh, hey, Inaba!"

Mina felt a brief moment of relief - it wasn't her boss - but the feeling soon faded as the coworker in question spoke again.

"Or I should say, good morning to the both of you!"

Mina chuckled nervously as her heart sank. Her cover was blown. "Heh, do you mean-"

"Oh. My. Gosh. He is so CUTE!!" Inaba squealed, crouching down to the Komala's height and petting its head. "Guys, Mina finally brought her Pokemon to the office!"

"Um, it's not actually-"

"Ooh! Lemme see!"

Voices began echoing through the room as more people came over to see what was being talked about. Before Mina could speak, another clerk appeared beside Inaba and pet the Pokemon.

"Aww, isn't he a dear?"

"Thanks, but y-"

"Whoa, Mina's got a Komala? I've never seen one in person!"

"He's not-"

More and more people had crowded around her. The Komala was clearly eating up the attention, leaning its head into the headpats it was receiving. One of Mina's coworkers shook her hand;

"Hey, congrats, kid! It's a big responsibility."

"Wait, what? He's not my-"

Another chimed in, "He looks just like my Teddiursa at home! Hopefully this one doesn't evolve." They laughed. Mina shuddered at the thought.

"So, what's his name?" Inaba asked, and as she looked up all the other pairs of eyes looked at her.

"Uhm… it's… well, it doesn't have one." she laughed sheepishly.

The room erupted with voices again as all present began to pitch names, ranging from complete nonsense to slight variations of the word 'Komala', none of which Mina could properly hear.

"Ahem." a curt voice suddenly cut through the noise, silencing the crowd. It wasn't Sanqua's voice, but one they all knew as well.

"If you all have time to fawn over fuzzy animals in your work time, you'll also have time to do so in your free time. I don't think Sanqua wants to see her entire department huddled around some employee's Pokemon when she comes in."

An awkward silence hung in the air for a moment. Then, one by one, the clerks shuffled back to their desks, eventually leaving Mina alone.

"And you, Mina. You're late." the woman before her spat. "Seventeen whole minutes late."

Mina straightened up and adjusted her uniform, now properly looking this coworker in the face. Izumi Saito, a woman with the face of a Staraptor and the personality of ten. She wasn't Mina's boss, not by a long shot, but being the top architect in their ranks had earned her Sanqua's trust, and in that way, power.

"I had an emergency, Izumi. I was going to explain it to Sanqua."

"Sure you were." the woman scoffed. "The same way you 'were going to' have all those forms on her desk first thing in the morning."

Mina held her tongue and pursed her lips. "Anyway, I got work to do." She said, turning around to leave.

"Excuse me, you don't get to leave while I'm talking to you. Lateness plus an unauthorized Pokemon on premise?"

Mina breathed. "If you're looking for an apology, I'm sorry for breaking the rules, Izumi."

"Don't let it happen again, or Sanqua will be notified." the woman smiled curtly and nodded. "And that's miss Saito to you." She turned around and began walking away.

Mina's breaths quickened as she clutched the strap of her bag tightly, her eyes fixed on the smug woman. She had to stay quiet, she told herself, not today, this wasn't worth getting angry over. It was fine. It was-

"More like miss 'stop pretending like your babysitter power trip actually means something!" Mina spat out. All heads turned to look at her.

Izumi glanced back at Mina, then smirked. "Looks like Sanqua will be hearing about this after all."

----------​

Mina nearly slammed her office door as she went inside and shakily took a seat at her desk. She cupped her head in her hands and groaned.

"So much for a discreet entrance…"

She peeked through her fingers, finding the Komala still clinging to her leg. The sock-trick wouldn't work now, there was nothing to stuff it with - but perhaps she could keep it distracted for some time? She looked around the room for something remotely edible or even entertaining. Most of her entertainment in the office came from the old Mahjong set that had come with the desk, but other than that, this was as barren of a wasteland for a Pokemon as it was for her. She sighed and adjusted herself in her chair; perhaps the beast would just sleep the work day off and be content with hanging on to her leg for the duration.

"I've survived this long, I can do a few more hours." Mina told herself, nodding as she grabbed the first stack of paperwork to file. "Multiple purchase orders for the supply corps, packaged in groups of three… okay." She grabbed the first document and unfurled the oversized sheet. "Fill out A… then B… then C." she muttered.

"Good! This is good. See, I'm totally functional. No panicking. Look at you, Mina." the young woman nodded to herself as she dropped the first sheet in the 'completed' pile.

She repeated the process several times. "Form A, then B then- wait."

Her eyes grew as she lifted the bottom of the sheet, only to find it was gone. She then glanced down at the Komala… and noticed the paper in its mouth.

"No, no no no! Bad! You're not supposed to-" Mina's hand moved back and forth frantically as she debated pulling the sheet out of the Pokemon's mouth; surely this was a trick to get her hand bitten off. She eventually built up the courage to pinch the paper with two fingers - but by then, most of it was gone.

"You just ate! How are you still hungry?!" she yelled out, still attempting to yank the document from it.

The Komala growled, tightening it's grip on the paper and reaching out to grab more beside it.

"Oh no you don't!" Mina exclaimed, moving her Komala'd leg away and using the other to kick the box of papers in question, knocking it over in the other direction, while continuing to pull on the currently-hostage documents in the Pokemon's mouth. The Komala swung its arms at her other leg, grumbling angrily about what she assumed was the Pokemon equivalent of spilled milk. The young woman growled back, using her free hand to push the Komala's face away, bumping her head on the bottom of the desk and causing all of the pencils to roll and fall off;

"Try to hypnotize me now, you-"

It was then that her office door opened. Mina froze.

Inzumi stepped in, looked at the mess, and pushed her glasses up. "Miss Sanqua wants you in her office."

yoMiVe7.png

Years
Orion Archambeaux

Crimson Mirelands
Pronouns: He/Him
Construction Corps
    [tab=signup][/tab]

Old Memories, New Friends

"Ah, douce sérénité."

The words slipped from Orion's velvety lips as the man ascended a grassy hill which overlooked Crimson Mirelands. A cluster of Combee fluttered about a deciduous tree in the distance, whilst a Buizel absentmindedly swam about in the expansive marsh which lay beyond. Such a picturesque view was enthralling. It was as if the land itself was inviting him to explore and uncover its abundant natural treasures.

Orion's purpose for being in such a place was to gather new resources to be utilized for construction, as well as fresh ideas regarding design. He drew inspiration from a plethora of different places, from the ornate gothic cathedrals in which were scattered about his home region of Kalos, to the tiered pagodas which were a staple of Kantonian and Johtonian architecture, and he even looked to the techniques in which those indigenous to Sinnoh employed to developed property, for they knew the land better than anyone else. His desire was to build homes which were innovative and indestructible simultaneously, and he hypothesized that examining various ecosystems was the perfect way to gain new methods of assembling better, sturdier structures, as unfamiliar environments offered much to learn.

"Oui très beau. Now, how much further?"

Accompanying him was none other than Orion's younger brother, Leo, a young man of twenty who was quite the firecracker, though an excellent worker nonetheless. Kahil had come along for the ride as well and had alternated between resting atop Orion's shoulders, clamping down on his arm, and trotting alongside him over the course of their journey.

Orion's lips curved upwards and he slung his arm around his brother's shoulders. "Don't tell me you're already tired, Le. We've got a ways to go yet."

Leo crossed his arms, clearly dissatisfied at his brother's reply. "It seems like nothing but marsh. You gonna collect swamp water or something?"

Orion chuckled at this, before rubbing his knuckle against his brother's hair whilst concurrently swinging his forearm over Leo's neck, placing the younger man in a chokehold. "Great idea. How 'bout I toss you in, and you get us the swamp water?" Leo wheezed and spluttered, though was unable to escape, Orion's muscular frame and iron grip proved to be a deadly combination. Much to Leo's elation, Orion released the man from his grasp, another laugh escaping his lips. Teasing Leo was something instinctual, he did so thoughtlessly, as if the universe itself was guiding him to do so. T'was the role of the elder brother.

Kahil in the meantime, had taken upon himself to sprint down the hill, but had ended up with tangled feet and tumbled the rest of the way down, collapsing in a murky puddle below. Orion slid down and Leo followed, guffaws filling the space between them.

"You alright, buddy?"

The Gible re-oriented himself, hopping out of the puddle and subsequently splashing the two men before him, before hopping up and chomping down on Orion's forearm.

"Seems fine to me." Leo commented, a toothy grin plastered to his face.

"'Course he is. Kahil's a tough little guy. Isn't that right?" The dual-type pokemon kicked his feet about, indicating that he agreed with Orion's statement. Kahil then returned himself to the ground, where he began to play about the marsh, kicking up mud and water, disturbing an assemblage of Lotad who idly floated nearby.

Orion grabbed at the hem of his cotton shirt, slipping it over his shoulders before tossing the article of clothing in the grass. He then splashed his Pokémon, chuckling earnestly as Kahil gawked at him in utter surprise.

"Oi, what happened to examining the area?" Leo asked, folding his arms over his chest whilst cocking a brow at his older brother, mildly amused by the man's playful antics.

"Lighten up, will you?" Orion responded with a laugh, as Kahil proceeded to pelt him with muddy water. "Don't be such a stick in the mud."

Leo, seeing an opportunity for revenge, positioned himself directly behind Orion as he turned his back to splash at Kahil once more. With a sinister smirk painted upon his dark features, Leo roughly shoved Orion and the elder man toppled over, plummeting face first in the mud.

As Orion gradually collected himself, Leo nearly doubled over from laughter. "Think you got a little something on your face, frère!!"

"Oh, yeah? Is that right?" Orion grumbled, as Kahil continued to carelessly splatter dirty water upon the man. This only made Leo guffaw more cacophonously.

Orion regained an upright position, nearly slipping in the process, before charging at Leo, knocking him off balance as the two tumbled into the mud. At this point, the brothers were full on wrestling, with Orion utilizing his brute strength to his advantage, easily overwhelming his younger sibling.

It all felt as if it were a memory being relieved, the two boys pinning each other in the mud, whilst their siblings joined in on the brawl. Their papa would watch from the porch, hiding his internal amusement with a tight-lipped frown. Eventually maman would burst out of the house, waving a handkerchief in an animated fashion, scolding her children for their heedlessness and her husband for failing to interfere and prevent such a commotion from occurring in the first place. She'd march them in the river and ensure they all clean themselves thoroughly, so as not to trek as much of a speck of dirt in their house. After all of that, they'd return home to a hearty dinner.

The kerfuffle did indeed draw attention, unbeknownst to the siblings who were too preoccupied with trying to murder one anothrr. A lone Turtwig watched cautiously from atop the hill, munching on a Pecha berry.

"Give up, Ori." Leo had pinned his brother, though the architect was not ready to accept defeat. "Like hell I will." He grasped at the mud, grabbing a handful before hurling it at Leo's face. Capitalizing on the man's recoil, Orion pulled Leo into a chokehold, nearly crushing his esophagus with the force of his bicep. After a brief struggle, Leo vigorously tapped at his brother's forearm. "Fine, fine, you win." Orion freed Leo, who groaned as he slumped down in the mud, whilst Orion raised his arms triumphantly. "See that, Kahil? Now, that's how you win a fight!!"

The Archbeaux brothers cleaned themselves up at a nearby lake, before continuing on with what they set out to do, gathering resources. However, the two were followed, by none other than Turtwig, who had taken quite an interest in the group. He trailed them, remaining in the cover of the brush and at a relative distance, not wanting his presence to be known.

Orion was examining some clay when the rustling of shrubs captured his attention, and the man cocked his head in the approximate direction wherein the sound originated. He glanced at Leo momentarily, who had distracted himself with comparing the wood of several different tree species to assess their durability. Orion turned his attention back towards the bushes before spotting what appeared to be Turtwig. The pokemon hadn't quite yet realized his mistake, as Orion extracted a ripe Payapa Berry from a pouch that he utilized as a means of food transportation. He slowly approached the brush, crouching down meters away from where Turtwig concealed himself, outstretching an arm, berry in hand.

"Come on out. I won't hurt you." The Turtwig became cognizant that Orion was aware of his presence and at the sound of the man's smooth voice, retreated further into the cover of vegetation. Kahil materialized at his Orion side, earning a gentle headpat from the construction corps affiliate. "Don't make any sudden movements, Kahil, we don't want to startle it." Whether or not Kahil had any understanding of human language, the Gible seemed to embody Orion's calmness and seamlessly followed instruction, seating himself in the grass.

Eventually, curiosity seemed to envelope the Turtwig and that, paired with the fragrant aroma of the Payapa Berry, drew the grass-type from his shelter. He gradually approached Orion, before munching on the succulent fruit from the palm of the dark-skinned man's hand. As the pokemon ate, Orion hesitated slightly, before bringing his hand to gently stroke the pokemon's back, attempting to earn its trust. Leo observed from afar, never failing to be surprised at Orion's gentleness with pokemon.

After he had finished eating, the Turtwig scampered away again, remaining in the bushes and at close distance. Orion returned to his work, catching sight of Turtwig poking his head out of the brush from time to time. At one point, Kahil had coaxed the Turtwig into playing a game of chase with him, something which made Orion smile.

As evening was fast approaching, Orion and Leo were satisfied with their work and had gathered the necessary resources and had begun to head back to camp. Turtwig, once more, followed them, though was considerably less stealthy in doing so.

Orion turned briskly to face the grass-type, his quickness nearly startling the creature. "Would you like to come with us?"

The Turtwig tilted his head at the question, as if contemplating it. He then approached Orion, nipping at his pant-leg and drawing a chuckle from the man. "Alright, then. Why don't you ride on Leo's shoulders? We'll take you back to camp."

tumblr_inline_p0jhp95FDr1qd0gcp_1280.png

Zyir the Turtwig
Razor Leaf / Withdraw / Bite / Synthesis / Curse / Superpower

Last edited:

ShinyDiamond

[b]The Other Promise[/b]
Years
attachment.php

Morgan Hokori
Survey Corps

261.png

Life was bustling in Jubilife Village. Everyone was busy in their daily lives, with the shops selling their merchandise to the locals, the farmers tending to the soil, even the local kids going off on one of their playful adventures. This was a fairly new village, so it is still small & developing. The organization established, the Galaxy Expedition Team, work tirelessly to ensure the safety of its citizens, as well as learning about the region & its wildlife. Many fear the power Pokémon wield, & the Galaxy Team give everything they can to better understand them, in hopes of bringing humans & Pokémon closer together for a brighter future. In the halls of HQ the Galaxy Team established, one member was looking through the request board to see what missions were available.

"Is this really all that's troubling them?" the man named Morgan spoke his mind. He was going through the list of requests out of boredom, but looking through it, he wondered if this village was even capable. He may still be new around these parts, considering he's not from this region, but even he can handle himself. Just how reliable is this organization anyway? He hasn't seen much action since he joined the Survey Corps. Nothing on the request board piqued his interest lately.

"If it's excitement you're looking for, you could always go out into the field & research the wildlife." A voice reached Morgan's ears as he turned towards the sound. Professor Laventon came into the lab, overhearing Morgan's dilemma. "The Galaxy Team is always looking for new info on Pokémon." It was something, but it didn't peak Morgan's interests much.

"If you're talking about catching Pokémon with one of those contraptions, I'll pass," he explained with disdain. He turned towards the Professor with his usual scowl, which always catches Laventon off guard. "I'm still not sold on trapping Pokémon in small balls. It doesn't sit right with me." Laventon gave him a reassuring smile, aware that not everyone is used to the new Pokéballs they've invented.

"Sure, not everyone's too keen on Pokémon. That's what these Pokéballs are for!" he exclaims, taking out a Pokéball to show to Morgan. "With these Pokéballs, it will help us better understand & get closer to Pokémon, to unite us & live together in pea-"

"Yeah, no need for an explanation Cottonball, I got it." Morgan interrupted him abruptly, calling him by a nickname Morgan always calls him by. Laventon rubs the back of his head recovering from Morgan's comment.

"Right, well, you are in the Survey Corps from what I'm aware... All I'm saying is, you got to help the team if you plan on staying." Morgan sighs, fully aware of the consequences if he doesn't help out.

"...Not like I got anywhere else to go. I just need time to adjust before I decide on anything." Morgan crossed his arms, getting tired of this, he wouldn't say conversation, more like lecture. "I'll be at the beach." He decides to end the conversation there & proceed out the building. Laventon stepped aside to let him through, though still wondering if he'll be alright as he is.

Walking out the main entrance, Morgan comes down the steps & calls out his Poochyena, who has been napping by the steps while waiting for his partner. The guard stationed by the entrance was breaking sweats standing near Poochyena, unsure what he was going to do. Morgan payed him no mind & runs off with Poochyena tailing behind. Heading south, they pass by the locals, who were frightened by Morgan & his Pokémon just by staring at them. They didn't care much for his loud attitude, even more of his Pokémon in general. It's not like Poochyena is causing trouble. He mostly takes naps around the village. You'd think they would've gotten used to it by now. Probably Morgan's fault. He did call them out a few times for giving him stares. He was not nice about it. He got over it, deciding he was better off not caring what they thought of him. It's not like he's going out of a limb for them either. All he cares about is getting to explore the region beyond. The Survey Corps was just about the only Corps out of all the others that let him explore outdoors. Better than being stuck in one place.

He passes the south gate passing a glance at the guards stationed, sprinting onwards to the open fields. It was outdoorsy in Morgan's eyes. He uses it as his training grounds with Poochyena whenever he has the spare time. Sure, they have one in the village, but at least this one's away from prying eyes. Anyway, his destination was further beyond as he & Poochyena take a right turn towards Prelude Beach. The beach was always Morgan's go to place whenever he wanted to do some thinking. It's quiet enough that he can be alone with his thoughts. They soon arrive, stopping by the rock planted close to the shore. He takes a moment to listen to the splashing water, climbing up the rock to sit & think. His Poochyena takes the opportunity to resume his earlier nap, settling besides the rock as sleeps overtakes him. On that beach was a boy & his Pokémon, with nothing & no one to disturb them. It's always nice to know there's always somewhere he can rest his mind.

"Hard to believe it's only been a week since I arrived... The place isn't much, but at least I don't have to worry about sleep, so I'll take what I can get." Morgan breathes deeply, exhaling slowly as he clutches his red scarf tightly. "Wonder how I'll be able to live on my own..." His eyes unhinged, staring deeply at the shoreline, his thoughts occupy him, the crashing waves being the only sound heard.

Eleanor

Princess Era 🎀
Years
Evelyn Laurent
17 - she/her - Security Corps
SHAULA - ♀ - Speed Boost Poison Sting, Defense Curl, Rollout, Screech, Twineedle, Bug Bite

🧭 - Jubilife Farmland
"Oh for the love of… how many of them do you still have!?"

Evelyn and Shaula look with eyes ablaze at the wild Munchlax in front of them munching yet another Pecha Berry that it had been storing somewhere inside its fur. Curing itself from the poison that Shaula had worked so hard to inflict with repeated Poison Stings. After such a long fight, no one in their right mind would have kept going without reinforcements… but those two.

It all started when Evelyn read out a report, warning for a group of Pokémon stealing supplies from the Agricultural Corps. She didn't pay much attention to it, but when Shaula heard her trainer utter the word "berries" she hissed in anger and urged Evelyn to deal with the issue. How could she stand by when some Pokémon were stealing the berries that she was legally going to be entitled to?

Once they arrived at the farmland and sneaked close to the deposit of berries and crops, the two didn't have to wait long before spotting the culprits getting close to the scene of their crime. A Munchlax and two Teddiursa… it was going to be a 3 versus 1 battle.

Shaula did not try even slightly to get up close stealthily, instead rushing to the attack with a Rollout from far away and hurting one Teddiursa before having to scuttle right back towards Evelyn. The problem? Now the two Teddiursa were ready to brawl it out, while watching Munchlax's back.

That soon turned into a… battle? More like a skirmish, a scuffle, where Evelyn could barely see what was going on. Her small Pokémon kept jumping around, faster and more alert as the battle continued, and she let her do her thing for the time being. The Teddiursa were clearly trying to get Shaula's pity with their begging expressions, only to scratch her in response and trying to get her off them, but she wasn't having it. She was taking the attempted thievery way too personally.

Venipede eventually poisoned both Teddiursa with her moves, all the Twineedles and Poison Stings overwhelming them only after a very exhausting battle. Through it all, Evelyn was trying her best to look calm and in control - just in case someone else from Galaxy Team passed by, most likely - but from the look on her face, it was obvious that if she was a Pokémon, she would have long entered the fight herself.

The worst part wasn't even started though. Even after the two Teddiursa ran off in the distance, Munchlax was left.

At first, the Normal-type wasn't even hitting back. Shaula kept at it with Rollout into Twineedle, her usual strategy, but Munchlax just kept staring back with some clueless expression. And then even took a nap in the middle of a battle! So disrespectful and yet, so effective, because when it would wake up again, the damage was basically gone in an instant. Including whatever poison Shaula may have injected into it.

Noticing the various berries hidden in its fur, Venipede soon switched strategy, trying to snatch them away and pass them to Evelyn. That's when Munchlax decided to hit back, trying to tackle Shaula when she got too close or rolling sideways to dodge some hits. Not that it was enough to match its opponent's by now blistering speed, but it was a clear attempt to not give back all of those berries and keep them around in case it needed to heal off some damage.

Munchlax was poisoned once, and dozed off, curing itself entirely. Then, it was poisoned twice, and again slept it away. The third time, it gulped down a Pecha Berry and that also healed it, to Shaula's double dismay… those were her favorites (ironically!) and seeing someone else eat them in front of her… what an outrageous move.

Only after a long, annoying exchange of hits, and only after a good amount of Rollouts, Evelyn can finally call it a day.

She and Shaula were at least able to force Munchlax to battle somewhere else, further away from the berries deposit, by making it dodge and reposition itself over and over. But even then, the thief ended up running away from the scene of the crime on its own two legs. Sure, it was poisoned, and maybe this time it didn't have any more Pecha Berries to use, but… the girl was finding it quite hard to celebrate that as a successful mission.

Only much later she'd find out, during her training sessions, that stealing berries from Munchlax let Shaula learn a new technique, Bug Bite. But, even then, there was a more important take-away from… whatever that was. No matter how powerful Shaula could become, Evelyn was going to need more Pokémon.

Shaula learned Bug Bite!

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
Years
ㅤMagnus Larsenㅤ
Familiar Faces

ezgif-1-da932cd0c8.gif
background art by @cloudtrumpets
» Galaxy Hall, Professor Laventon's Office, late noon

Laventon's office was as cluttered and hurriedly put-together as the professor himself; a blend of Galarian furnishings strewn with wacky contraptions and Eastern comforts. He seemed to hoard his books on any spare surface he could find. The floor was no exception. Magnus half-tripped on a stack of them lying about the doorway, stumbling into the room with three Dewpiders hanging off him. The professor did not even flinch from this clumsy entrance, nor did he glance up; perhaps he was used to it, for he remained engrossed in scribbling at his desk and mumbling to himself.

"But if we used Slowpoke... then perhaps we could... no, no, too unethical," he went on.

Magnus hovered awkwardly in the centre of the room, too polite to interrupt. The Dewpiders, now in good health and obsessed with their human playground, scuttled across his shoulders and over his head, getting their spindly legs caught in his hair. He untangled one for the dozenth time, as patiently and habitually as though he'd been doing it all his life. Of course, the sensible thing would be to keep them inside their Poké Balls, but to Magnus, this seemed very cramped, and he had great sympathy for anything in cramped spaces.

Liesel was not in the least bit happy with this pest invasion. If she wasn't trying to nip their feet, she was taking it out on Magnus by nipping him. He had quite enough of that. Magnus pulled her out by the scruff of her neck and tossed her over to the Kantonian black pine in the corner of the room, where Laventon's Rowlet was perched. Rowlet tilted its head quizzically at Liesel, watching as she scarfed down berries from its feeding tray. Her tail flicked up: "screw you" in Sentret. She really had no manners.

"Precisely, precisely," the professor mumbled in response to all the chatter.

"...Professor," Magnus finally ventured, remembering how Laventon could get carried away for hours.

"Leave the tea on the table, Dorothy, m'dear." He really was lost in his own world. "And do light the fire on your way. Jolly cold this evening."

Magnus glanced at the Cyndaquil in the hearth and shrugged helplessly. He knelt down to build a nest of firewood around it, smiling to himself and reflecting on how little the professor had changed. Laventon was more like an uncle than an employer. The two of them first met when the professor arrived at Magnus's homeland on a research expedition nearly ten years ago. He required the help of a local guide, and the village had offered young Magnus, who they jokingly claimed was half Pokémon. Magnus and Laventon could not understand a word spoken between them, but money is a universal language, something the generous professor was never short of; and so Magnus gladly demonstrated his worth.

He found the professor to be a capricious and amusing man who spoke far too much and seemed overly impressed with everything. They were opposites in nearly every way, though Laventon was really quite taken with Magnus's phlegmatic and taciturn manner and his natural intuition for wildlife, and by all accounts wanted to ship him off to Galar.

"My boy, you have a gift!" the professor had told him upon their parting, those ten years ago. "It has been an honour and a privilege. Should you ever wish to see more of the world, then I would gladly take you under my wing—just remember the name Laventon!" He had given Magnus a card bearing his Galarian address. Magnus could not comprehend those words at the time, but he knew the intentions were well-meant. All he could manage was a retiring smile and a shy, uncertain "takk". Perhaps neither of them had changed. It was not until Magnus left his homeland at age twenty-four did he meet the professor again. Three years on, and here he was, a settler in an alien land.

At last the professor rose from his desk. "Ah, Magnus! Just the fellow I've been wanting to see," he greeted, as though Magnus had only just entered the room. The Dewpiders immediately caught his eye. "Good heavens, it appears you've brought company! Now, where the devil did that tea get to? Dorothy has been jolly forgetful lately. Sometimes I think she doesn't listen to a word I say—makes a chap feel practically invisible. Could be deafness, mind. Might have to lay her off. Dash it, if a man can't end the day with a cup of tea!"

Magnus quietly nodded along to all this prattle. Poor Dorothy. The old maid certainly kept her hands full with this one. But then he had to admit, the office showed no trace of a maid's labour in any way.

"—Ah, but forgive me, I do carry on," the professor relented. "I say, you alright under there? You're looking rather like a Stoutland under the bombardment of her pups. Chuck the rascals in with Oshawott—that'll do them some good—and leave the Poké Balls with me. I'll see to their placement on the farm in the morning."

"I would be grateful," Magnus said with a soft chuckle, untangling more spider legs from his hair and plopping the offending Dewpiders into the water tank, glad to be rid of them. By now he was covered in trails of silk.

Laventon, as usual, was very impressed. "Your first assignment on the field and you bring back not one, but three Pokémon! Very useful specimens, at that. However did you do it?"

Magnus sheepishly rubbed his head. Between the praise and the awkward question, he was feeling very self-conscious. He cleared his throat and stared off into the fire. "...About dragons."

"Come again?"

"I believe I saw one. What do you know of them?"

The professor looked stranded in thought as he puzzled over the sudden change in direction. Then his face lit up. "What's that, you say? A dragon? In the fieldlands? Are you quite sure? Good heavens, man, what did it look like—where did it go?"

Magnus frowned and deliberated on this. He always did, but every second of his silence was torture for Laventon. "It was miles away," he said, extending a hand to the south-west. "Beyond the mountains. Large, like Onix. And no wings."

"A serpent?"

"Serpent, yes. On this I am ignorant, Professor. I have never known them to fly."

"My dear fellow, when it comes to dragons, consider me your walking encyclopaedia!" Impressive, until Laventon withdrew a literal encyclopaedia from beneath a stack of books—with the rest toppling onto the floor. At least it explained the state of his office. He slammed it onto the kotatsu and eagerly flipped through the pages. "Dragon... a dragon, you say... I do wonder..." he rambled on. "Yes, it's as I thought. Beyond the ancient myths and legends, only one true dragon has ever been recorded as serpentine in appearance and capable of flight. They call it Dragonair."

"Dragonair..." Magnus echoed the name, learning it for the first time. Within the book was an ancient Kanto-style illustration. It depicted the sun as a gem upon the serpent's neck, one side hidden in cloud, the other shining bright, with the four seasons mingling around it, all swirling above a great lake. It was reverent, a symbol of prosperity and change. Something did not sit right with Magnus. This Dragonair possessed all the hallmarks of the Pokémon he had seen, certainly from a glance, yet the feelings it instilled in him were nothing alike. Perhaps his memories had only played tricks.

The professor elaborated, staring wistfully into the air as if picturing one right before him. "Extremely elusive. In some regions they are venerated as gods, said to control the weather and bless whoever is lucky enough to see them. We know so little about Hisui and its inhabitants, I'd wager anything is possible—but to think we might be living on the doorstep of one of the world's rarest Pokémon... or rarer still! What a time to be alive! And I shall be the first of my fellows to document it—you see if I don't!"

Laventon swelled with such hearty enthusiasm it was almost contagious, even to someone as placid as Magnus himself, who didn't really know how to express excitement. It was too out of harmony with the rest of him. The most that happened was his eyes shone a little brighter and crinkled at the corners. "I would not mind a small part in that," he said, almost under his breath out of modesty. To his surprise, the professor suddenly whirled on him, grabbing him by the shoulders, his face rapt by the idea.

"My dear boy," Laventon began, for he still called Magnus "boy" out of habit, "If anyone is capable of tracking down a dragon, it's you! Why, it's a splendid idea!"

Magnus waved this off, laughing. "In earnest, Professor, dragons are beyond my experience—"

"I suspect it was headed to Lake Verity!" Laventon interjected, not paying the slightest bit of attention. He hurried over to the map of Hisui that was plastered on one of his blackboards. With a finger on Jubilife Village, he traced it south across Aspiration Hill, then west past the mountain range that stretched along the river, landing it on the great lake. "Yes, I believe so. And certainly reachable by foot. Fraught with deadly Pokémon, naturally, but that's all par for the course—why, you survey chaps practically live for it, ho ho!"

Before Magnus could so much as raise an eyebrow at this, the voice of Captain Cyllene lashed out from the doorway adjoining her office. "Professor Laventon! Am I to believe you are pressuring an injured member into duties well beyond the level of his rank?"

Laventon nearly jumped out his skin. "W-well, I, erm—hold on, injured, you say...?" he stammered.

Cyllene clicked her tongue. "Mr Larsen, is that not blood on your uniform?"

Magnus absently shifted a hand to the place where the Luxio had dug its claws. The puncture was only shallow by his standards, nothing a medicinal leek couldn't fix, and yet it had bled through his clothes when the Luxio first inflicted it. "Just a scratch," he said.

"A wound like that is the very least you will come away with, armed with nothing but your pet squirrel." She side-eyed Liesel, who was passed out asleep in the feeding tray, her stomach distended.

"I would rather stay unburdened," Magnus quietly but firmly protested. Even if he was embarrassed for Liesel. "That is how I work best."

"Then you will be satisfied documenting Bidoof and Starly with the rookies," Cyllene mocked, her arms crossed. She held his gaze intently. "I know a man of higher ambitions when I see one, Mr Larsen. You do not belong in the lower ranks. However, as your captain, it would reflect badly on my judgement to promote someone so ill-equipped for the dangers of this region—dangers you have no real idea of. Do not pretend otherwise. I am striking you from further expeditions until you demonstrate a willingness to follow protocol. Is that clear?"

Magnus clenched his jaw to stop himself arguing further. The captain was the type who never left a room until she had the final word, this much he knew. "As crystal," he relented.

"Good. And as for you, Professor." She turned to Laventon, who automatically snapped to attention like a soldier in salute, only distinctly more nervous. "You will notify personnel that Lake Verity has been marked a danger zone. At least that way, I can ensure you won't be sending any more rookies to their doom." She meant it dryly, though it would not surprise Magnus if the professor had a track record of this.

"As you say, Captain!" said the amenable professor, fiddling uneasily with the pompom on his hat. He always squinted his eyes up in a smile when Cyllene was around, for unlike Magnus, he could not parry the cold steel of her glare; it only made him sweat. "Wouldn't you know it, I have just the Pokémon in mind! Security have reported an Alpha, out in Horseshoe Plains. Now, now, don't look at me like that, Captain, I'm not suggesting that monster of a Rapidash we all live in fear of! But I'm sure neither of you could deny the practicality of a Ponyta?"

Cyllene weighed up the risks, then looked to Magnus. "An Alpha. Think you're up for the challenge?"

"I've tamed wilder things," Magnus said carelessly. In truth, he rather liked the idea. A Ponyta in its own right had many uses—heat, fire, light, resource transportation... but they were skittish and frail and easily detected, with a strong instinct to flee. An Alpha, however, would grow large enough to break in and ride, and a ride in these vast lands was too great a boon. That settled it.

"Well then," Cyllene continued, "If you can catch yourself an Alpha, I might be impressed enough to let you boys off on your little spree. But don't hold your breath on any promises. That will be all. Good evening, gentlemen." She spun smoothly on her heel and returned to her office, a woman of unwavering poise.

As soon as she was gone, Laventon leaned in close to Magnus with an evil expression and a secretive hand to his mouth, and whispered, "Wouldn't it be jolly fun if you came back with an Alpha Wurmple instead?"

Magnus had to reflect on this a moment. "She's afraid of them?" he whispered back.

"Despises bugs! Utterly falls to pieces!"

Both men shared an idea, their eyes full of mischief. They peered over at the water tank, where the three Dewpiders clung to the glass in all their prickly, insectile, slimy glory. Magnus looked back at Laventon, and Laventon looked at Magnus, and a roguish grin spread across their faces.

Magnus scooped up Liesel and stuffed her in a pocket so he could make a quick getaway. Then he joined the professor in fishing out the spiders. Like a pair of misbehaving schoolboys, they crouched by the door and let the Dewpiders slip into her office, where they scuttled along the walls, inching ever closer to the oblivious captain's desk.

He and Laventon made a beeline for the exit. They were just outside the Galaxy Hall's doors when a piercing scream erupted so loud it rattled the windows and made the security guard fall from his post.

"Gyaaaaaaaaaah!!! Laventon! Larsen! Somebody! Get. Them. OUT!!"

"Aha ha ha ha!"

"Ho ho ho! Jolly good! Ho, my!"

Magnus and the professor threw an arm around each other like old comrades, their happy faces catching the last of the evening sun. Across the road, a group of survey members were celebrating the end of their shift with drinks at The Wallflower, same as they always did, and they raised their glasses to Laventon with a cheer and a hoot—it was not the first time his lab specimens "innocently got loose", nor would it be the last. Fortunately for Cyllene, these pranks never seemed to undermine the respect of her recruits, but endeared them to her. Laventon insisted it did her some good.

"Ah, I'd almost forgotten," he said to Magnus, reaching into his coat for a purse of money, "We'll make it two thousand for the day, shall we? That ought to cover your hard labour!"

Uncomfortable by such a payment, especially in the presence of his colleagues, Magnus sheepishly declined. "This is too much," he said. "You are generous, but I have no use for it."

"Nonsense, my good man!" Laventon dismissed with a wave. "Why, if you're short on ideas, you could buy us all a round of drinks! Life's too short to be cheap!"

The survey members all cheered to this, and Magnus blushed at the attention. For once there was a seat at their table for him.

At least there would have been, if the evening did not have other plans in store. Magnus heard his name called from across the bridge, where a young deckhand came running up to hail him. "I'm glad I found you!" said the boy. "There's someone at the docks, just arrived. She's been calling after you. A young lady."

Magnus frowned, his attention piqued. "Young lady?"

The boy nodded. "I think it's urgent. Nobody can understand a word she's saying, 'cept that she keeps repeating your name. Blonde, she is. You'd better go. Pretty girls shouldn't be alone round the docks at this hour."

There were a handful of pretty blondes who knew him by name, and only two of them would travel this far just to see him. He had a nagging suspicion of who it might be. It formed a knot in his stomach. "Very well," he said, and after paying Beni for another round, he reluctantly gestured his leave. The others barely noticed. They only wanted their drinks.

---​

His walk to Prelude beach was anxious and crowded, with many supply corps members bustling goods from the ships to the village and back, and families rushing to greet loved ones ashore. He overheard sailors spit cruel words about the natives; some commotion over stolen cargo. Magnus held little fondness for sailors, as a rule. He distinctly remembered a time in his youth when an old sailor snatched him by his hair and offered to pay good money for it. The only reason he got away was through mention of his father's name. If anyone tried that now, they would come away with their fingers rearranged instead—if they dared accost him in the first place. His stature not only gave him the advantage of intimidation, but of spotting faces among the crowd. Even if he failed to recognise this "pretty girl", she would doubtlessly notice a blonde giant among the sea of dark hair.

And she did.

"Maggie!"

His heart jumped as he turned to the voice. Only one person called him Maggie. The moment he faced her, she was in his arms, buried in his poncho, and he looked down to see bright, pale gold hair, fairer than his own.

"Elsa," he breathed, arms hovering awkwardly by his side as he recovered from the hug-attack, before gently wrapping them around his little sister. He heard Liesel squeak from being squished between them under his poncho.

His sister pulled away just enough to gaze up at him with tear-filled eyes. "Maggie, we've missed you so dearly at home," she said, smiling sadly. She spoke in their dialect. It was nice to hear it. "I never thought I'd hear your voice again."

He struggled to find the words—emotions bubbled up inside him and drowned out his thoughts. All he could do was stare at the face he hadn't seen in almost three years, and marvel at how much she'd grown. She would be eighteen now. Her baby face had slimmed into a heart-shape, with the high cheekbones and icy blue eyes inherited from their mother, but she had Father's platinum colouring, not the strawberry blonde he and his mother shared. Looking at her now, he felt nostalgic, bittersweet and yet deeply troubled all at once.

Elsa searched her brother's face for some hint of gladness. "You look surprised. I thought you would be here to meet me when I got off the boat." Then something seemed to dawn on her. "Maggie, you did receive the letter, didn't you?"

Magnus shook his head, incredulous. "Letter? Elsa, what letter? What are you doing here?"

"So you do not know..." What was that inscrutable sheen in her eyes just now? It was gone the moment she snapped her gaze away, hidden behind her curtain of blonde lashes. Magnus's brotherly instincts told him that devious thoughts were brewing on the other side. He was growing agitated with this mystery. "Know what?" he pressed.

Elsa wrung her fingers, contemplating her answer. "My reasons for being here are not urgent. Marie sent me. The village is safe; things carry on as normal over there, like nothing has changed. But I've changed... No, that's a lie. I've woken up to the true side of me." Her gaze lifted wearily to his. "Magnus, it's been a long journey. I'm tired, and I never want to see another boat again for as long as I live. Can we talk about this somewhere more comfortable? After a good meal?"

Magnus ran a hand restlessly through his hair, mind reeling, like it does in a sickly dream with no explanations. He hated leaving problems up in the air, where he couldn't fix them. But this wasn't the time or place. "Okay," he finally gave in. "But I am not happy, Elsa. Marie had no right. What would you have done if I'd moved on? You'd be stranded with nothing, no-one. You can't even speak the—!"

"I know all that!" she shot back. "But you're here, and I'm fine, so what use is there going on about it? I'm not a baby anymore, Magnus, so don't treat me like a helpless child, like I always need to be minded! You and everyone else..."

She had become so outspoken, so brash. It caught him off-guard. All he could see in her was his rosy-cheeked baby sister. He'd forgotten how much people change when they burgeon from their teenage years. They felt so very long ago. But in the end, he was still her big brother, and it was his sworn brotherly duty to be overbearing at times if it meant keeping her safe. He softened a little, letting her outburst slide over him. Then he smiled. "You've grown so beautiful, Elsa. I knew you would."

Her eyes grew wide and she shuffled uncomfortably, cheeks tinged red; he'd won at dispelling her temper.

"Come," he said, "it'll soon be dark. Let's get you warm. You'll need to walk off your sea legs."

"I don't have sea legs," she muttered, but when she started following him, she wobbled and teetered like a Spinda, and he chuckled at her expense.

"Want help?"

"I'm not an invalid, thank you!"

"You're not fooling anyone, walking like that."

"Oh, shut up, you overgrown Gumshoos!"

And they continued like this the entire walk home.

Last edited:

Jay

[font=Brawler][color=#91a8d4][i]Here comes the boi
Years
TUdkQke.png

[tab=PostBody7-4][/tab] [tab=Pokemon7-4][/tab] [tab=Journal7-4][/tab] [tab=Inventory7-4][/tab]

Part 05 - Puzzle Pieces

"Truth. A solitary and indisputable principle, passed politics and morals, behind emotion and logic, nothing can dispute truth. Everything happens in a singular, indisputable way. Even if opinion exists, even if something is unclear or unknowable, there must always be an answer. Nothing in existence is transient, only transient to our perception, when one undoes every veil, removes their every mask and glances, naked and pure, upon what remains... that is the truth.

There are many like me who do what they do for myriad reasons. For payment, for honour, for the vindication in putting villains in cells. None of that has ever mattered to me.

There is a tale in Unova, wherein I once studied law for a time, of a great dragon who blessed a pair of twin monarchs. One who looked at the world with ideals and dreams... the other who saw things for how they really were and naught else. Conflicted in their opposing ideals, the dragon split in twain, a half each for a ruler in kind. One dragon, pitch black, stood as an epitat to an ideal world. The other, sterling white, was truth itself. It did not dally with fanciful thoughts and half measures. It saw the world for what it truly was and strived to share that vision with its people. Its perfect world was one where the truth was no longer hidden away.

Mayhaps I am an extremist... but even at risk to myself, I seek the same. I wonder, might I ever meet such a creature as that dragon of legend..?"

Carson O'Connor quickly maneuvered himself through the busy main avenue of Jubilife Town towards the commercial building near the docks. It was an early morning, still some fog clinging to the ground and sweeping around his feet and wide and boisterous motions with his every pruposeful step. He had spent the night with just enough sleep to reach the margins of what most would consider 'healthy'. The rest of the time that evening he had spent mulling over the case, collecting previous details together and trying to consolidate his thoughts. The pieces fit together to fit the narrative that Cratesman and the security corps had given him... but it was an imperfect fit. Like a child, forcing the mismatched pieces of a jigsaw puzzle together, out of frustration at their own lack of ability.

It was time to review. A brisk morning walk provided the perfect opportunity.

Cooper Cratesman, a business mogul from Unova, had involved himself with the Galaxy team as a private funder. Since the creation of the team and their arrival in Hisui, he had served as a liaison and manager for incoming cargo to Jubilife. He opperated out of a sizable office on the side of town closer to Prelude Beach.

Recently, valuable cargo consisting of food supplies and building materials has gone missing, costing Galaxy Team a not so negligible amount of poké in recent weeks. Cargo was often left overnight on Prelude Beach due to a lack of wild pokémon and the walled off shoreline, but a number of times now upon checking for cargo in the mornings multiple crates have been missing.

Cratesman believes the perpetrator of what he sees as theft under moonlight to be a young woman in her late teens. Akalli, a member of the native Pearl Clan was accidentally photographed by Jubilife Town's camera enthusiast on the last night some crates went missing. She is the prime suspect in the current case.

Upon checking the dock for clues, Carson himself had verified the immense weight of the individual crates, as well as the ground in the surrounding area... a muddy mess of footprints, soil and sea water that left anyone carrying cargo to sink a half inch in when transporting the goods. Carrying cargo from Prelude Beach was a good way to ruin your shoes. Carson had also chatted to Cratesman, a jovial if easily flustered man, who was in possession of a rare and shockingly obedient pokémon from Unova. The steel type, Klink.

Returning to the docks by night, Carson encountered Akalli of the Pearl Clan. After an altercation, she had explained that her presence on the beach that night had been perpetrated in order to come to the aid of her pokémon partner, whom she had heard crying out for help at its home on Prelude Beach. The partner in question, Kira the Luxio, had been struck by an unexpected electric type attack. A logical deduction assured the group that the only possible perpetrator could have been Cratesman's own pokémon partner, Klink, who was an alien presence and caught Kira off guard.

The suspect had been at the beach on the night of the latest crime, but claims to have arrived not to steal, but to aid their pokémon companion who had been attacked by Cratesman's own pokémon. It all boiled down to her word against Mr. Cratesman's... which didn't put her in a good position, even if Carson believed her, which he did. The Galaxy Team had been riled up by the missing supplies, the food especially. They needed an answer to this case quickly and Akalli was an easy target, even if the damage to relations between the Pearl Clan and the Galaxy Team would be egregious as a result.

If Carson wanted to find the truth and ensure Akalli's aquittal he had only one recourse remaining.

Find the true culprit and indict them for their crimes. Thus did he head to Cratesman's own office, intent on asking more after his pokémon's activities.

Cratesman and Co. was an office of decent size, down by the river but closer to Prelude Beach than Galaxy HQ, it was well made but humble. Signs of minimal paint cracking by the door, the knob was well worn after many uses which would seem strange normally as a shipping firm wouldn't have so many visitors, approximatel .05 centimeters of dust had piled on the inner windowsill, which Carson spotted while taking a quick glance at the decor inside... which was lavish, if well used. Cratesman had established himself early in the Galaxy Team's efforts, making himself a fixture and becoming something innate to the locale in the eyes of the people, that was why his building was clearly one of the oldest in town. It was smart froma business point of view, to become the standard for your field in a brand new economy.

Grasping that well worn door knob, still chilled from the morning dew, Carson was pleased to find the door unlocked as he pushed his way inside.

The inside of Cratesman and Co. was... boisterous, for lack of better terminology. Frilly flower patterned cushions and drapery, overzealous red carpet lining the middle of the hardwood floors, embellished with gold. Carson almost cringed a little at the ridiculous over-zealousness of the design, which was surprising considering, well, everything about the Detective himself.

"O-Oh... pardon me."

Standing behind a small wooden desk was a young woman, mid to late twenties with silvery blonde hair tied in a bun and a pair of half spectacles resting on her nose. She wore a practical working dress with many pockets, some held quills and pencils for writing, others small dusters and bottles of soap for cleaning. She gazed at Carson who so readily sauntered towards her with a mixture of trepidation and confusion... and then a spark of realization.

"You... must be the detective? Mr. O'Connor?" She was aware of him, Cratesman had spoken of him in private, how nice.

"Quite right, my dear! And you might be?" With a flourish of his hat to his chest and a light bow, he kept one eye peeking at the ruffled woman, who answered curtly. "My name is Betta, Betta Clennit sir. I serve as m'lord Cratesman's maid and secretary. If you're looking for m'lord, he's out currently, but I can tell him you- eh?"

Mid sentence, Carson had stepped passed Miss Clennit and her very orderly desk, to explore down the lone hallway that stretched passed her. There was a set of stairs to the right but he doubted he'd find anything of value up there, while to the left was another room... but his cursory glance through the window revealed that to be naught but a living room. The house had a very Western design compared to most in Jubilife Village, something he assumed was due to Cratesman's preference. Still, all that in mind.

"This is the office then?" Carson asked cheerily as he reached for the door handle at the end of the hall, the click clack of hard sole work shoes upon the floor behind him audible as Betta Clennit rushed after him. "I say Mr. O'Connor! It may very well be but you were given no permission to-"

"Madame please, Sir Detective will be fine... and as the criminal investigator assigned to this case I'm sure my good boy Cooper wouldn't mind me taking a moment to rest my heels as I await his return eh?" Before the befuddles maid could splutter a response, Carson turned the handle and stepped into the new room. Quietly pleased the door wasn't locked as he did so, that'd have been awkward.

Surprisingly, the office itself was rather orderly and 'business first' compared to the rest of the building. Very little in the ways of decoration. A rather well made mahogany desk sat front and center, a coat and shoe rack sat mounted to the left wall and by a window to the right, overlooking the agricultural pastures nearby, was a trophy case with a number of altogether useless accolades. A degree in business, some local clubs footy trophy, medals awarded for years of tenure and service at various shipping companies and organisations. Who loved their work as an exporter that they joined a bloody club for it?

"I never! Why I never Mr O'- Sir Detective! I understand your position but you can't ju- I could get in trouble for just allowing-!" Miss Clennit spluttered and panicked at Carson's flippantry but he turned and placated her with a warm smile and a gentle wave of his hand. "Oh my dear, I wouldn't worry! You shan't get in trouble, I'm sure a beautiful woman such as yourself would have no problem with a discerning gentleman such as Mr. Cratesman? He seems like a stand up fellow."

Clennit immediately flushed, her cheeks already red with fluster darkened and she crossed her arms with a frown. "M-My... if you think to assail me with compliments to make up for your grandstanding then you might forget it sir. Mr. Cratesman is not so appreciative of me as you might think so I'd find myself in bother nonetheless."

But of course, Carson already knew as much. Calloused hands, bags under the eyes, a general sense of exasperation and doneness with her surroundins. Miss Betta Clennit was showing classic signs of being overworked by a rather overbearing employer... the poor woman was no doubt receiving extras an excess in stress due to Catrson's behavior, but if his hunches were correct she'd be better off when all was said and done.

"Is that so..?" He rose an eyebrow with the right amount of measured, light surprise. Then looked away from the still rightfully irate maid to glance around the office. "But look here at this shoe rack! Each pair is so immaculately maintained, surely this is your work?" Clennit's brow furrowed at his words, but she did not deny them, instead tapping her foot impatiently as she mumbled. "Well yes, sir, it rightfully is..." Carson let the moment linger without a response as he continued to look expectantly, a classic trick to prompt a person to continue to speak.

"Well as it is that part's barely any work at all, ehe..." She scratched the bridge of her nose awkwardly and her expression softened. Excellent. If Cratesman wasn't present at the office this wall the better, a bit of freedom to explore unfettered and a disgruntled employee to get more information from besides. "Mr. Cratesman never bloody wears the shoes m'sir... as it stands, he's summit obsessed with keeping them clean. Expensive things, those clogs, the beach is dreadfully muddy this time of year and so it is he wears a pair of work cleets and naught else. Won't even let me clean them when he's done for the day, says there's not a point. Well, I tells him, I see a point when I've to clean the capret of your trailed mess, not that he'd give me the time of day to listen."

"Oh dear, that's awful... and what of that pokémon of his? Frightening thing isn't it?" Carson pre-ambles a response, indulging Clennit's clear penchant for gossip. "Must you care for it when he's out."

"Goodness no Sir Detective and thank whatever force may be for it and all..." Clennit sighs. "No he keeps that... thing, with him, at all bloody times. I've not seen him without it in its little ball or floating beside him since I entered Mr. Cratesman's employ."

"Is that so..." Carson smiles amicably, then looks passed Miss Clennit to the trophy case now sat behind her. "What of this then? So many accolades beautifully polished... am I to believe you handle all of this as well." Of course, she did, for who else would. But the awkward shape, pristine glass case and sheer extensivity of these altogether unimpressive trophies and trinkets was sure to server the detective's purpose.

And alas, so it did.

Clennit rolled her eyes and turned dramatically, approaching the case and gesturing to what was inside, irate eyes reflected in the glass as she glared at a rather obnoxious looking piece of metalurgy. A golden statue with many curves, nooks and crannies. "This bloody thing first of all, I'll be I've never seen the like, does nobody think of those doing the polishin' when designin' these things? And don't get me started on-"

She would continue to ramble apace, with Carson nodding seriously and offering affirmation and platitudes... yet while her gaze was taken she shifted to an altogether more interesting sight. Slipping around her peripheral vision, Carson glances at the good mogul's desk. Various documents sat upon it, recent expenditures and ledgers. Typical fair for a man of his occupation, all boring and irrelevant, until one folder caught his eye. A dossier detailing transactions with an insurance company... or three. Various claims for various cargo stolen. Products he of course paid to have shipped and sold to the galaxy team no less. Of course he would want compensation for what he listed as 'losses accrued due to the dangers of the expedition'.

Still... a document so pertaining to the case. It was obvious, this would be important. So as he continued to string along Betta Clennit, Carson made his move, quickly scooping the doccuments into his pouch.

New item added to Court Record!

Insurance Ledger:
A business ledger belonging to Cooper Cratesman providing details of insurance taken out for cargo delivered to Hisui. Multiple claims have been made recently due to 'losses accrued due to the dangers of the expedition'.

"Sir what might you be doing hmm?"

Carson glanced up from the desk quickly to find Miss Clennit staring at him intently. Gratefully, she hadn't seen him swipe the files, but his intense scanning of the desk was clear to see. He had to say something fast, so with a quick glance over the piled papers he grabbed one from the top and presented it sheepishly. "Aw well, my apologies, this caught my interest so I was a mite distracted you see! With this... land... deed?"

Indeed, twas a deed. A deed for land held in Carson's hand by chance. To which Clennit merely rolled her eyes once more.

"Ridiculous that man, I tell you... Sir Detective if you can believe it, he spent a chunk of profits on the most ridiculous thing." Her frown grew wider and a hand rose to rub the bridge of her nose. "Man wanted a private beach... at this time of year? Is it a lon g term investment I shouldn't know but he has no bloody use for the thing. Not to mention in this savage land it'd be swarming with pokémon so I've no idea what he's playing at."

"...long live the bloody king..." Carson slapped his forehead incredulously and nearly threw the deed into Miss Clennit's hands, causing her quite the stir. "What! What is it?" His hands raced to her shoulders causing her to tense at his strange behavior. "Miss Clennit that's it! That's the missing piece, I could kiss you I swear! ACK!"

A hand raced to slap him across the cheek and he span thrice clockwise before settling on his feet. "I should thank you to NOT! Regardless of how beautiful I might be to you sir!" Her blush deepened as she glared at his with disdain, but eventually that softened once more as well. "Though, well, I guess you're not NOT hand-"

"Right, I'm off!" Before she even finished Carson was making for the door, leaving her to watch him with bewilderment. "W-What? I thought you was waiting for m'lord Cratesman! Where are you even going?"

"To unveil the truth at last my dear, once and for all! Thank you Betta Clennit, I shan't forget you! Not a once!"

"What? Wait! Detective!"

Yet he was out the front door, feet in the dirt, racing across the main street once more. At last, everything made sense, there was only one thing left to do.

Unveil the truth once and for all.

Party

"Arrow"
Species: Rufflet
Ability: Hustle
Moveset: Quick Attack / Aerial Ace / Twister / Bulk Up / - / -

Inventory

Personal Effects:

$5000
- Leather Briefcase
- Deerlingstalker Cap
- Stoutland Yard Badge

Court Record - Case 01:

- Case Dossier:
A small folder received from Zisu upon Carson's first meeting with her. It describes the initial details of the case, including a report from Mr. Cooper Cratesman on the exact cargo missing, the last location it was seen, as well as the mogul's initial suspicions of the Pearl Clan girl, Akalli, as the culprit. The dossier includes a number of polaroids taken by the local photographer, recreationally, of Prelude Beach by night. The polaroid's captured a young woman with Akalli's likeness leaving prelude beach under cover of darkness.

- Tuft of Luxio Fur:
A tuft of Luxio fur located at the scene of the crime, it came from Kira, the pokémon partner of Akalli. Kira must have left the fur at the docks sometime recently, owing to her being injured within close proximity to Prelude Beach.

Hyzenthlay

Years
ㅤMagnus Larsenㅤ
Kids These Days

ezgif-1-da932cd0c8.gif
p5I4XHh.png
WK0qEwy.png
WK0qEwy.png
WK0qEwy.png
» Magnus's House, Jubilife Village, morning

Morning again.

Magnus groaned as he rose from the hard makeshift bed he threw together the night before, stretching out the tension in his limbs. He felt himself over for bruises; the rigours of yesterday left him tender and raw in places, and the Luxio scratch was redder than he liked. It smarted under his touch. Feline claws were always nasty. Magnus scoffed at himself for letting it happen, wincing slightly as he applied a clean poultice to the wound. Perhaps he was losing touch since abandoning his life as a hunter.

The house was dim and quiet. Outside, he could hear the murmur of voices and children laughing—had dawn slipped by already? Elsa had fastened the window shutters to stop the light coming in. Elsa... He looked across the room to where she slept, her silhouette gently rising and falling, golden hair tangled about her face. It felt strange to see her again; she was so different now, distant and mature, not the clingy little girl he always remembered her as, the girl he brought up. She looked the perfect blend of Mother and Father. It stirred an ache in his heart, and he reached for the locket that hung perpetually from his neck, gripping it firmly for comfort, as he would his mother's hand when he was only a boy. He closed his eyes and sent a silent plea for her guidance. Then he kissed it and let it fall.

Elsa had not explained anything of her arrival that day. She was edgy, secretive, but above all she was exhausted, and so Magnus let her take his bed for an early slumber—her intentions would reveal themselves soon enough, he knew. But he could not hang around for her all day. He had an Alpha to catch.

He stood—and immediately bashed his head on the wooden beams above the hearth. He cussed through his teeth. The house was hellishly small.

Elsa gasped awake, sitting upright. "Man overboard!" she cried.

"False alarm," he said, a little curtly, his head throbbing. "Sorry I woke you."

"Oh... oh, Maggie, it's you. Thank goodness. I dreamt I was still on the ship." She sunk back into the futon. Her eyes followed him around the room as he donned his uniform, splashed cold water on his face and filled a pot with milk, hanging it above the hearth, where he lit a small fire. "Are you leaving?" she asked.

Magnus stepped over her to open the windows, a packet of nuts in hand. The morning light flooded the house and burned their eyes. As he guessed, it was well past dawn. "I have work," he said. He shook the packet until Liesel came skipping up to the windowsill for breakfast and greeted her by ruffling her ears. "I told you, remember. In my letters."

"But where? For how long? What if I need to find you?"

Magnus thought for a moment. He might be out all day with no way to contact him, this was true. So the important thing was keeping her out of trouble. "In the fieldlands. Several hours, maybe the day." He looked at her, stern and fatherly, as one does over their glasses. "You will be here when I get back." It was not a question.

"You don't mean in here? All day? Maggie, that's absurd—"

"People will prey on your ignorance," he said, raising a dismissive hand. "You may tend the garden, if you like. There is rice in the kitchen for your porridge. And a game of mahjong, if you can find it." When he saw the misery spread on her face, he felt a stab of guilt, but that just made him defensive. "In fairness, Elsa, I was not expecting you."

"...You're thinking of sending me back, aren't you?"

The question surprised him, even though it was true. He did not answer.

"If you were glad, you would make things easier, not try to put me off," she said dejectedly. "Well it won't work. I'll prove I'm worth the effort, Maggie. You'll see!" She noticed his jaw set; his way of saying "that's enough." With a huff, she wrapped herself in an angry blanket burrito and turned the other way to sulk.

Perhaps "mature" was a little off the mark.

He stepped over her again on his way out, patting a tender hand on her shoulder as he did so. "You'll like what I bring back," he said with a secretive smile. She huffed again. This time it was not very convincing. He tied back his hair in a half-up, half-down ponytail, fetched his goggles, whistled for Liesel, and was out the door, pausing only briefly to cast a troubled look at his sister.

Magnus lived tucked between the houses of the biggest gossips in town, close by the river on Canala Avenue. Very little got under his skin; he was a man of easy-going philosophies, and he tolerated just about anyone, but malign gossip went against everything he stood for. Unfortunately for him, he was often the source of it. The moment he stepped outside he had to steady himself with a calming breath—his neighbours were grouped in their little conference of the crones again. Whether it was his long hair, or his hulking frame, or the way he avoided people's eyes, they seemed to think him some uncivilised barbarian; and with this they decided he could not understand their gossip, so made little attempt to conceal it. Nothing he ever heard them say was true.

"And I could hear them, up all hours—on and on they went, in that dubious foreign tongue—up to no good, mark my word on that!"

"It's indecent, that's what, having a lady stay the night when they aren't even married—and half his age, at that!"

"You know what I think. I think she's one of them mail-order brides. You hear about mail-order brides."

"Oh, yes, they're all the rage in Galar these days; all the politicians have 'em, so I hear."

"You watch. If he's not claiming her as his niece, the next best excuse will be his sister. It's what they all say."

So much for justifying Elsa's company. There was no turning this one around. No matter how charitable his actions were, he seemed to fall deeper and deeper into the trenches of idle rumour. Even the children had their tall tales. Those he found sweetly amusing, at least.

Magnus politely dipped his head to his neighbours in spite of his disdain, and, plucking a handful of chrysanthemums from his window box, he gifted it to them. "I pray for you, dear ladies," he spoke with sincerity, to which they pursed their lips and shared a look of prim astonishment. He would not rise to their bait. If there was one resounding virtue his mother imparted to him, it was that love begets love. Eventually.

He carried on to Floaro Street, skipping Beni's and heading straight for the craftworks. Anvin hailed him. "'Ey, Magnus! You didn't show up this sunrise. I have your Poké Balls ready—but first, a favour. I need a man with a strong throw. How's yours?"

"It does the job," Magnus said, which humbly meant he was really quite good. He watched curiously as the smith disappeared inside his workshop, soon emerging with two Poké Balls in either hand, only something was different. They were blue.

"My latest prototype," Anvin said, tossing one up and catching it. "I call 'em Feather Balls. These babies are designed to fly like an arrow—with the right technique. Here. You see those hills beyond the training grounds? Try throwing it as far out to them as you can. Even better if you can hit that tree." He passed one of the Feather Balls to Magnus, who rolled it in his hand, testing its weight.

After a moment of warming up, Magnus locked his sights on the tree. Then, aligning himself with his target, he pushed off his right foot and launched the strength of his body into the throw. The Poké Ball sailed with alarming speed, never losing trajectory. It missed the tree trunk by a foot and flew well beyond it. Then it vanished.

Anvin let out a slow whistle. "Now that did it justice! With a few tweaks, they'll be ready for sale. Keep the other one as thanks." He bagged the prototype in with three regular Poké Balls and handed them to Magnus.

"My thanks," said Magnus with a nod, warm with satisfaction. An upgraded device would surely advantage him on today's mission. He wondered at the engineering behind it.

Avoiding the busy streets, Magnus took the long way round the village, sorting through different strategies in his mind. Ponyta were not merely skittish. They possessed an ability that heightened their senses and boosted their speed for a sure getaway whenever they detected danger. However well he imagined things to go, he had to be pragmatic—one man simply wasn't enough. He needed help.

As he was musing this, he happened upon a scene that caught his interest. Three teenage boys, about seventeen at the oldest, were seated cross-legged in a tight circle on the grass in a residential alleyway. Between them was a small pile of money. The oldest boy, the one with the auburn cowslick hairdo, was goading the other two into "paying all they're worth" on promises he would double it should they win the bet. Magnus leaned against the corner wall, observing quietly. They had not yet noticed he was there.

"I dunno, Slick," said the daggy-looking kid in the beanie, "Thaz what you said last time. I lost my allowance for three months 'cause of you, man. What makes you so sure you'll win?" The youngest, a dark, skinny boy in his early teens, remained silent but nodded his agreement.

"That's what I've been training these past three months for, dipstick!" said Slick. "I'm tellin' you, Guts is at the top of his game. No way that guy's Hitmonlee is gonna kick our ass this time. Have some faith in me, compadres!"

"But isn't Raticate... like... weak to kicks and punches and stuff?" the daggy kid mumbled.

Slick tapped a finger to his skull. "Not if you've got the brains to get around it!"

Magnus shook his head. Pitting Pokémon against each other, making them fight to unconsciousness for sport and money... It was a growing fad, one that left a bitter taste in his mouth. These boys were old enough to serve their community and earn their keep, not toss aside their labour for other shoulders to bear. Perhaps a lesson could be learned out in the field.

The three boys jumped when a pouch of money landed between them with a chink. They all turned to see the imposing figure of Magnus loom above them, casting them in shadow.

Recovering himself, Slick spoke up a little shakily. "H-hey man, what gives?"

"Five hundred says you won't manage a day's work in the fields," said Magnus casually. "Catch a Pokémon, and I'll add two-hundred-fifty to that."

The boys' eyes widened and flicked from the pouch, to each other, to Magnus, then back to each other again. There were whispers between them—except the youngest, who never seemed to open his mouth.

"Five hundred is more than we got put together!" said Slick.

"Yeah, but can we trust this guy? I mean, going out in the field... it's a big deal. I heard it's like... real dangerous out there, you know?"

"Heh, maybe for Wimpods! You scared of dipping your toes in, Eddie? Cause I'm all or nothing!"

"You talk big, pal, but we all know Guts was just a hand-me-down from your brother. You've never stepped foot in the wild before, let alone catch a Pokémon! Like, literally catch one! A Pokémon! In the wild!"

Slick punched him on the arm to shut him up. "You're making me sound pathetic in front of Hercules over here! C'mon, the two-fifty is easy money! Besides, he's obviously Survey Corps. If things go south, it's his neck on the line, not ours!"

"Well, thaz true... And I don't think anyone's gonna mess with this guy's neck..."

They both looked to the youngest, and Eddie asked, "What d'you think, Hector?"

Hector bunched his chin unsurely, then shrugged a "why not?".

Magnus listened to their whispers with a slight tug on the corner of his mouth, pretending he wasn't. These shiftless Unovan kids thinking it was easy money. How cute.

At last they turned to him with their minds made up. "If you think we can't last the day, think again!" said Slick. "I'm from Nimbasa, an' you don't know danger till you've walked the Nimbasa streets in the dead of night! You just lost yourself money, pal!" He made some exaggerated gestures with his hands that only Unovans seemed to do. They were always exaggerating.

"We start now," said Magnus, and he began walking towards the outpost gate, not caring to check if they followed. They shared a panicked look and gathered up all the money before chasing after him.

"H-hold up, don't we need weapons?" Eddie asked.

"I will be your weapon. Don't worry about it."

"But what about our stuff? Y'know, Poké Balls an' survival things?"

Near the gate was a crude shelter where the Galaxy Team stored essential tools for expeditions. Magnus stopped here and rummaged through, passing one thing after another to each of the boys: waterskins, dried berries, medkits, rope, compasses and fire starters. Then he gave them one Poké Ball each from his own bag, keeping the Feather Ball for himself. Along with his hunting knife, the last thing he took with him was a short but study spear. Just in case.

"All you need," he said to them. "Except one thing." He looked pointedly at Slick and tapped his skull the same way Slick had done earlier. The boy sneered. The others looked unsure if they even possessed that all-important tool between them.

"Questions," Magnus said. He meant it patiently, but his laconic demeanour must have intimidated them, for they did nothing but shuffle with hesitation. "Then do as I do."

He beckoned them to walk with him into the wild.

Last edited:

Hyzenthlay

Years
ㅤMagnus Larsenㅤ
Two Birds With Three Stones

ezgif-1-da932cd0c8.gif
p5I4XHh.png
WK0qEwy.png
WK0qEwy.png
WK0qEwy.png
» Obsidian Fieldlands, late morning

"Zekrom smite me! Have mercy! Can't—go on—any—longer!"

Slick and Eddie had abandoned their feet and were now dragging themselves uphill on arms and knees, doubled over, hair matted with sweat, struggling to keep up with Magnus and his ungodly long strides. Hector climbed on ahead of them despite moving at an easier pace, clearly the wisest of the trio. He never once complained. He never once said anything. In fact he was the quietest person Magnus had ever met.

Magnus and his young charges had walked miles since leaving camp. The way to Horseshoe Plains was not a smooth descent like the road to Deertrack Path; there were rolling hills, rocky outcroppings and swathes of waist-high grass between camp and plains. Magnus had a lifetime to finetune the art of hiking. He knew his rhythm, when to stop, when to eat, how to pace himself on a steep ascent. It didn't hurt to have long powerful legs and deep lungs. The rest he worked hard for, and he had faith that anyone else could achieve the same. So he did not trouble himself with the boys' melodramatic display. He was rather impressed they made it this far on dogged determination alone. Even if their motives were somewhat askew.

"Control your breathing," he called down to them from the hilltop. They were too busy treating it like a race. Magnus clicked his tongue, though in truth, his own legs were growing weary, and a bead or two of sweat threatened to dampen his immaculate hair. Swiping a hand across his forehead, he found a comfortable rock to recline against, taking out his pipe and tobacco, a watchful eye guarding the boys. The area around them was clear, no place for danger to hide. Besides, he trusted in Liesel to keep watch—that was her only duty, and that duty was in her blood.

Eventually he heard the huffing and puffing of the boys rise to meet his ears. Hector appeared first, immediately collapsing on the cool grass. Slick and Eddie joined him.

"End me, just end me," Slick wheezed, lying on his back. "This—is how—childbirth—must feel—"

"I think I popped a lung," Eddie sulked. He tried to wring sweat from his beanie. "I'm gonna have blisters like a Seismitoad's warts, man..."

Magnus nudged him and pointed to the medkit that hung from Eddie's belt. "Heal powder," he said. When Eddie couldn't piece together his meaning, Magnus took the heal powder, emptied it into a dish, turned it into paste with a dash of water and pointed to Eddie's feet. A lightbulb went off in the kid's head. "I'd never have thought of that!" he snorted, gratefully applying it to his swollen toes. The other boys did the same with theirs.

"How far are these Horsehair Plains anyway?" asked Slick. "You never even said what we're doing there. We just gonna... prance round the fields all day till the Tauros come home or what? I wanna catch somethin'!"

"Live for the moment, my friend," came the easy-going answer.

Slick scoffed, watching Magnus tilt his head back to blow smoke into the sky, relaxed and completely unfazed by the journey. The boy's expression was caught between jealousy and curiosity. "Hey, can I try that?" he ventured to ask.

Magnus considered this a moment, glancing lazily at Slick. He handed over the pipe, knowing full well Slick would inhale and have an unpleasant experience of it. He did. One puff and the boy started hacking and spitting, tears swelling up in his reddening eyes. "Lungs on fire!" he rasped. "That shit kills, man!"

"Yes," said Magnus, unfazed as before, taking it back from Slick and puffing long, elegant plumes of smoke that coiled around his face. Liesel spluttered and leapt off his shoulder to seek less polluted air.

As the boys talked amongst themselves, snacking on dried leppa berries to boost their energy, Magnus scanned the land below, his eyes searching for movement. Wurmple, Combee, a Starly here and there. These boys would not settle for such easy game. But he would not allow them to charge into peril for the sake of vanity, either. His own target was not yet in sight. They had a while to go before reaching the plains—something was sure to present itself.

Just as Slick, Eddie and Hector began drifting off beneath the sun, Magnus ordered them to attention. They clambered ungainly to their feet. Magnus nodded towards the east. Down at the foot of the hill by a cluster of trees, a Staravia was swooping upon a lone Teddiursa, scratching at it to drive it away. The little bear Pokémon refused to back off. It managed to strike the bird with Payback, clipping it, forcing Staravia to take the fight to the ground. Their cries carried up the hill.

"What am I s'posed to be lookin' at?" asked Slick, squinting towards the battle. Magnus eyed him briefly. Could the boy not see from here?

"Teddiursa and Staravia duking it out," Eddie reported. "You've got this, Teddiursa, little buddy! I call dibs on the cub!"

Fiery ambition lit up young Slick's face. "With a flying-type like that, I could take on Hitmonlee, no sweat!"

Magnus cracked a smile. He gave them the go-ahead, and the three boys practically surfed down the hill with Magnus close behind, directing them to the safest vantage point. They slipped into the tall grass. The wild Pokémon were so preoccupied with their battle that they failed to notice their human spectators. Up close, it became evident what had taken place—Teddiursa succeeded in looting one of the eggs, the yolk dribbled down its front, while a second egg lay broken at the foot of the tree. Staravia was risking everything to protect the last of her brood, fearless with rage. Liesel darted into hiding at the sight of her avian predator.

Slick eagerly readied himself to throw his Poké Ball, but Magnus stilled his arm. "Too angry," he said. "It will not work."

The boy responded with a wide, mocking grin. "This Poké Ball ain't empty!" He threw the ball straight into the skirmish, where it snapped open, and in a flash, a large, mangy rat appeared, catching its opponents off-guard. "Guts, Quick Attack and Tail Whip combo—and keep it going!" cried Slick.

Guts the Raticate zipped back and forth between the two Pokémon with blinding speed, whipping at them with its tail to rile them up and lower their defence. Feathers flew into the air and Teddiursa stumbled back, paws held against its eyes, having been struck across them by Tail Whip.

"Eddie, now's your chance!"

"On it!" Eddie flipped the lock on his own Poké Ball. With a gesture of luck, he threw it at the blinded Teddiursa. It hit. The bear was sucked inside the device which clamped shut with a billow of steam. Eddie cheered too soon—a brief struggle and Teddiursa came bursting out, scrambling to its feet as it made to flee. "No! It's getting away!"

"Guts, Scary Face!" commanded Slick, to which Guts peeled back its lips and bared the gums on its vicious fangs. It gnashed these fangs at the bear cub, and Teddiursa faltered, cowering.

Hector tapped Eddie's shoulder and offered up his own Poké Ball to allow Eddie a second chance. "You sure?" Eddie hesitated. Hector nodded urgently. The ball was thrown and struck true. It clamped and rumbled, breaths were held, seconds were counted, time slowed, and then—click! The Teddiursa was his.

"Wahooooo!" the boy cried, swooping in to grab it. He narrowly avoided a Take Down from Staravia, who was intercepted by Guts. The Raticate bore the full impact while Magnus hauled Eddie into cover by his shirt.

Staravia staggered back from her opponent, shaken by the painful rebound of her attack. Exactly what Slick was waiting for. "Guts! Assurance!" On its master's word, Guts hunkered down, a surge of dark energy coursing through its veins, and when this energy reached its potency, Guts unleashed it in a full-force slam. The bird crumpled under the blow with a despairing shriek. She could not hold out much longer. And she wouldn't have to. Staravia gave in the moment she was absorbed inside the safety of the Poké Ball. Click.

"Hell yeahhh!" Slick hollered at the top of his lungs. "Suck on that, losers! Who's the biggest badboy in town? That's right! You're lookin' at him! Lap it up!" He broke into a very poor rendition of a victory dance with his Raticate, immersed in his own conceit.

"Is he always like this?" Magnus asked Hector, who remained by his side the entire battle. Hector rolled his eyes, wrinkled his nose and nodded yes, grinning widely. Magnus grinned too. He shook his head, bewildered, but he grinned. The entire fiasco left him half-stunned; he could not even bring himself to intervene, raptured by the novelty of it, the intensity and eagerness with which the Pokémon fought, and the electric atmosphere that crackled between human and Pokémon. In those fleeting moments it seemed the most natural thing in the world. The way things were intended. But that idea felt so absurd that he tossed it away, convinced it was the heat of adrenaline and nothing more. Above all, he saw Slick in a new light. The boy held surprising knowledge about Pokémon and their strengths and handled the conflict skilfully. A pity he wasted it on such things.

Eddie approached Hector and offered him the Poké Ball with the Teddiursa inside. "Hey, uh, this belongs to you... It was, y'know, cool of you to give it up. So... let me do the same. I guess." He scratched his head, trying to be noble but looking incredibly sore about it.

Hector rejected this with a smile. He touched his fingers and thumb together, brought the hand to his chest, then rolled the motion away from his body, the gesture of parting a gift.

Eddie beamed. "Gee, thanks, Hecks! You're a real pal!"

It was Slick who unceremoniously broke this tender moment. "Big whoop! You wouldn't have caught jack shit if it weren't for me and Guts, dipstick!" he said in a playful tone, pulling Eddie's beanie over his eyes and shoving him. Slick extended his hand out to Magnus, but in taking, not in offering. "Pay up, compadre, that's two captures for ya. With Staravia here I'll be reelin' it in, so we won't be sticking around for the long haul!"

Magnus ignored the gesture. "In time," he said, striding over to the tree in search for Staravia's remaining eggs.

"What d'you mean, 'in time'? I already earned the money I set out for!" Slick argued. "I ain't no boy scout, buddy, an' I got better things to do than sightsee all day!"

"It is always 'I' with you," Magnus responded distractedly as he found a foothold on the bark and reached up to the nest. "Let your friends speak. I will guide you all back, should they wish it."

With an overblown sigh, Slick turned to his companions. "Back me up, guys. We're done here."

Hector stepped closer to Magnus and Eddie twiddled his thumbs. "Uh, thing is, Slick... we're kinda... enjoying this. And we did bet on seeing it through. It's not even the money, y'know. It feels pretty great! My stuffy nose has cleared up and everything!" His younger friend nodded along.

Slick was at a loss—his lackeys never flouted him before! But everyone knew Slick was enjoying things, too. He just wouldn't admit it. Nor did he want to put in the work. "A'ight," he said, folding his arms and trying to save face, "you two posers think you can one-up me, huh? Fine. I'll babysit you on your little stroll. Since you're forcing me out here, I expect a bigger cut of the money, got it? Hey, are you even listening?!"

Hector and Eddie were gathered round Magnus, who had landed back on the ground with a thud, balancing the nest in one large hand. He held it for them all to see. Inside were three grey speckled eggs. "Little Starly. Or, lunch," Magnus offered to the boys.

"Wait, don't eat 'em!" cried Eddie. "Their mom fought so hard!"

Magnus smiled, expecting this. "Then your hat, if I may?"

"Huh? O-oh, sure," said Eddie, swiping off his beanie and stretching out the fabric for Magnus to tuck the nest in. Magnus gathered up tufts of down feathers that were lost during the fight and blanketed them over the eggs, then folded the hem of the beanie on top. "Keep them warm till their mother is well," he instructed. "You must rotate them every few hours—like this. Understand?" The boy nodded dutifully, holding on to his upturned beanie with the greatest possible care. At least the responsibility would teach him to pace himself. "Good. Let us carry on. You have done well, my young friends, but there is much to learn."

Hector and Eddie looked chuffed to have earned a drop of warming praise from their sentinel guide, who up until now spared little more than honest advice. Slick meanwhile was looking increasingly betrayed. He idled apart from the others as they marched on, straight into the heart of an aspen wood. Far behind them lamented the call of Staravia's mate.

Years
Monthly Update #3

Available Pokemon

Obsidian Fieldlands
268.png
108.png
399.png
077.png
025.png
133.png
417.png
401.png
390.png
234.png
092.png
446.png

Crimson Mirelands
176.png
025.png
427.png
155.png
220.png
401.png
280.png
339.png
387.png
418.png
449.png
400.png

Optional Prompts

- Someone in the village has managed to lose a Pokemon.
- Some members of the Gingko Guild seems to be selling shoddy merchandise.
- The Medical Corps are looking for powder samples.
- Some of the local crops have developed a fungal infection.
- An expedition into the Mirelands hasn't returned. They were expected back days ago.
- Two of the new arrivals are arguing over a coveted store position.
- Someone or something is sneaking around the houses at night.

There is only one of each of these, so whoever claims first gets to make the catch!

Shiny Catch Opportunities

Years
  • Age 29
  • home
  • Seen Aug 16, 2023
8SEnXgf.png

Liliana Collins
ch 2. "B u b b l e s b u r s t"
hatenna.png
A whispered "what…?" was all she could push out of her mouth. Liliana was stood inside a Galaxy Hall office, Pearl at her side, across from the desk of a blue-haired, icy-eyed Galaxy Team official. The latter frowned and nodded wryly, hands folded together atop her desk, as she continued her explanation.

"He was last seen nearly a month ago, when his survey team exploring the Alabaster Icelands was attacked by a powerful unknown Pokémon. Despite the best efforts of our search and rescue teams, we've recovered no trace. Apologies, I thought we had sent word your way, but perhaps it arrived only after your travels began."

Liliana was barely listening anymore. It wasn't that this outcome hadn't crossed her mind by now, but it'd been such a foreign idea, such a worst-case scenario, that she'd pushed the thought away again each time it'd come up. She could only hastily shake her head, afraid her voice would break if she spoke too soon. She swallowed, trying to set it straight, and managed to respond.
"I… I see."

Cyllene sighed, and briefly closed her eyes. "I'm very sorry, madam. I hope you can find the strength to carry on… and we'll make sure to send word to keep you informed of any developments in the search."

"R-Right, of course." Liliana nodded, having slightly regained her composure. "I'll be waiting, then."

"Can I assume you will return to the same contact address as before?"

That question threw Liliana off guard. "I… what? No, I… Is it not possible for me to stay here?"

Where it was dubious so far, at this point Captain Cyllene's voice betrayed a definite note of irritation. "Excuse my assumption, madam. I just couldn't imagine you intended to stay. As you have already been confronted with the considerable danger that this area poses to its inhabitants... not to mention the loss of your foremost pillar of support."

Cyllene's insinuations had the desired effect. Lily was shaken as it was, and the idea of having to brave this existence by herself was equally daunting. Still, she shook her head, and stood her ground. "No, Captain. I want to stay here. I need to... to stay close to where he is, and keep up to date on developments regarding the search... perhaps assist in the efforts myself, if you would allow!"

The captain's brow furrowed deeper, and she had to resist moving her hand toward her face. She returned Lily's expression with a stern gaze, and rose to her feet with some exasperation. "I need you to understand, madam, that Jubilife Village nor the Galaxy Team has any space for freeloaders. Everyone here earns their keep, no matter how... tragic their situation may be."

Liliana clenched her teeth to try and retain a determined expression. "You've made yourself crystal clear, captain."

"Excellent." A slight sigh seemed to escape Cyllene, but she crossed her arms to continue. "I suggest starting asking around our corps to see where you might be of use. Keeping your own particular talents in mind, of course," she added, skeptically looking Liliana up and down once more. The latter instinctively looked over herself, suddenly embarrassed by the frilly dress she'd shown up in to greet her husband.

"Thank you for your advice, captain. I won't let you down."

The light trembling of Liliana's voice did her argument no favours, but after a final greeting, she made herself scarce, little Pearl on her heels. Right now, she wanted to be as far away from Galaxy Hall as possible... though she knew that to find work, she'd likely find herself returning very soon.

Years
Monthly Update #4

Available Pokemon

Obsidian Fieldlands
129.png
440.png
066.png
270.png
216.png
214.png
859.png
025.png
268.png
425.png
265.png
422.png

Crimson Mirelands
111.png
449.png
214.png
420.png
046.png
417.png
387.png
026.png
113.png
415.png
114.png
092.png

Optional Prompts

- A mysterious Pokemon has been spotted in the Obsidian Fieldlands. Investigate.
- The Diamond Clan are accusing the Pearl Clan of thievery.
- The Medical Corps are looking for powder samples.
- A Pearl Clan delegation is visiting to speak with Kamado. They need babysi - guides.
- An expedition into the Mirelands hasn't returned. They were expected back days ago.
- Two of the new arrivals are arguing over a coveted store position.
- Members of the encampment are making noise complaints but others haven't heard a peep.

Shiny Catch Opportunities

Years
Orion Archambeaux

Jubilife Village
Pronouns: He/Him
Construction Corps
    [tab=signup][/tab]

Introducing Oba-chan!

[FONT="Catamaran]Orion fastened his only black braids in a bun atop his head, so as to keep them from imposing on his view. The construction corps affiliate found himself perched upon a rooftop, meticulously applying tiles. Down below, he had entrusted his brother with inserting glass in the window panes, and another assistant of his was seated upon a nearby tree stump, ravenously scoffing down a rice cake. People passed by on the street, some stopping to ogle at his work, others fixating upon him. It was something he was quite familiar with. He was strikingly handsome and this was something which often drew the eye. Furthermore, Orion had features that many were unaccustomed to, which also occasionally attracted attention from passersby. He usually would respond to these lingering glances with a charming smile and a wave, or perhaps a jovial greeting. Orion valued community and desired to establish good relations with the entirety of the settlement's population. It was just how his maman had raised him.

"Is being on a rooftop a job fit for a Pokémon?"
The voice was coming from a small elderly woman, who Orion instantaneously recognized as Izanami Ogawa. She was referring to Zyir, of course, who Orion had instructed to hand him tiles to be placed upon the roof's surface. His other intention was exposure therapy; he wanted to gradually ease his pokemon's fear of heights. So far, Zyir had done reasonably well, despite the momentary hesitancy when he got a glimpse of the ground below.

Orion chuckled at this. "He's doing an excellent job. Isn't that right, Zyir?" The builder then proceeded to affectionately pat his pokemon, who cooed in reply. "It's a nice surprise to see you, Izanami."

Izanami smiled at this. "You can call me, Nami, Orion. Or Oba-chan. I've told you boys that many times, we're practically family, after all." It was true, Izanami had invited Orion and his brother, Leo, to stay with her upon their arrival to the Sinnoh region. They obliged, grateful at the unanticipated kindness of a woman whom they had no prior connection to. Izanami was indigenous to the region and knew the land like no other. She was a kind, brilliant woman, who loved nothing other than sharing her vast knowledge with others. The brothers eventually constructed their own house, from the ground up, but continually paid visits to Izanami, who they viewed as a grandmother. "My bad, Oba-Chan." She, too, visited the Archambeaux brothers on a regular basis, and usually brought them a gift of some sort, despite their adamant protests against her doing so. Izanami enjoyed their company, as her husband had unfortunately passed away a few years prior, and all but one of her daughters had moved out of the village.

Izanami always dolled herself up for her strolls to town, she loved to wear yukata in earthy tones or colours that resembled the setting sun, and on occasion she would even step out in a beautifully intricate kimono patterned with vivid roses. She always styled her hair into a neat bun, and would frequently put in a hair ornament of some sort. She was the epitome of elegance and grace, or Orion thought so, at the very least. She was a youthful spirit, never allowing her age to slow her down in the slightest.

Izanami extracted a paper bag that she had concealed within the draping sleeve of her yukata, gesturing towards it. "I brought something for you." Orion shook his head, a laugh escaping his lips as he quite literally leapt off the roof without a moment's hesitation and landed on his feet. This caught Leo's attention as well and he paused what he was doing, before waving at the widowed woman, whom he didn't notice beforehand. "Oba-chan! So nice to see you!" As both brothers gathered around her, she extracted several bento boxes from the paper bag and thrust them in Orion's hands. "Oba-chan, you shouldn't have. Seriously." She didn't let Orion continue, as she shook her head and smiled. "Oh nonsense! You are both big, strong young men and you need to eat!! There's enough for lunch and dinner, perhaps even leftovers."

Orion set the bento boxes down carefully before bowing to Izanami and Leo followed suit. "Thank you, Oba-chan. You're too kind."

"Oh, stop with the formalities, I'm but an old lady!" She said with a soft chuckle. Leo cast Izanami a serious glance. "We'll repay you somehow, Oba-chan, Need anything fixed in your place, we've got you covered. We can come over tomorrow."

Oba-chan waved her hand at this, as if to toss the idea aside. "My place is just fine, thank you. But you are more than welcome to stop by for tea and we can sit in the garden. That's how we can repay you."

It wasn't unusual for her to bring them bento, or a trinket of some sort that she thought they'd fancy. The brothers cherished every gift Oba-change offered. The two had secretly begun the construction of a new bench which she could place in her garden. She had another, but it was weathered and small. This one would be much larger and significantly more comfortable to sit upon. It was the very least they could do. Izanami, of course, has no idea about any of this. Orion and Leo would present it to her upon completion, which would be any day now.

"Now, I don't want to keep you two, and besides, I'm on route to the market. I've heard that there's a travelling salesperson who's come all the way from Hoenn and has brought all kinds of unique wares! I'd like to see what they have to offer." Oba-chan explained.

"You're not keeping us at all. The house is almost finished." Orion assured her, gesturing to the structure which stood tall behind him. It was a traditional-Sinnohian home he had built for a young family, with large , spacious rooms designed to fit the needs of a lot of people.

"Oh, yes, you boys have done a fantastic job. It looks phenomenal. Make sure not to work yourselves too hard, now!"

"We won't, Oba-chan. You too, if that salesman rips you off, let's us know. We'll deal with him." Leo struck his enclosed fist against his palm, so as to insinuate that he would resolve said situation via throwing hands, if it were to arise.

Oba-chan found this quite humorous. "Oh, don't worry, I know how to strike up a deal. I've been doing it for over 70 years now, I'm an expert at this point. Anyways, I'll be off now." Izanami bowed politely, before turning to walk down the path which led to the village's center. "You two take care."

Orion and Leo waved her off, both feeling elated after the interaction with their beloved Oba-chan. She was living proof that sometimes family wasn't always blood-related, it was chosen. Oba-chan was family, plain and simple.

"Now, time to eat! I'm starved!" And with that, the brothers chowed down, enjoying Oba-chan's incredible cooking. [/FONT]

Last edited:
Years
Star Level 3

You can now evolve Pokemon to their second stage and can have a maximum of four Pokemon in your party. Ten posts until Star Level 4.

Foxrally

Years
4TxuOPL.png
Mina Yan
Construction corps
komala.gif

U9w2CBu.jpg
Mina exhaled and hesitantly pushed the door to Sanqua's office. The hardwood creaked as it slowly swung open. The young clerk tried her best to stand up straight and adjust her uniform, despite the Komala still clinging on to half of it, and forced a smile.

"Y-you called for me, captain?"

Sanqua glanced up from her work, the silver-headed woman holding a ruler and protractor over what looked like a large blueprint of the Galaxy Hall as several more rolled-up sheets and documents littered the desk. "Ah, yes. Please come in, close the door behind you." She gestured to the empty seat in front of her.

Mina gulped. She took a seat on the purple-cushioned chair.

"So, Mina…" the woman began, taking off her spectacles and setting them aside, "Izumi mentioned you brought a new friend with you today. I didn't know you had a Pokemon."

The girl's cheeks turned bright red, "I-I'm so sorry for bringing it in without telling you! I didn't have time to-"

"No, no. It's alright." She put a hand up to her mouth and whispered, "Between you and me, I'm quite fond of the little ones. Particularly those small yellow and brown critters; I saw a few follow Floaro home the other day… their little button noses are so cute~!" Sanqua gushed, which took Mina by a little by surprise. "Let me have a look at him! What's his name?"

"I, um, ah…" Mina stammered as Sanqua got up from her desk and came around to look at the Komala, "I h-haven't given that much thought…"

"Aw, what a sweetheart!" Sanqua exclaimed as she spotted the Pokemon nuzzling against Mina's leg. It looked a bit squashed against the leg of the chair, but that didn't seem to bother it. She squatted down to examine it and gently scratched its head, as Mina remained awkwardly frozen in place, unsure if sticking her leg out would be appropriate in this case.

"I've never seen this species before…" Sanqua poked the Komala on the nose and it let out a startled yap, lightly waving a claw at the spot where the hand was. "And he's got some fight in him too! Perfect. He'll make a great partner."

Mina tensed up for a second. "Um… what… do you mean by that, captain?"

"Ah, right." Sanqua sighed as she stood back up and returned to her chair. "The reason I called you in the first place."

Mina felt like breathing a sigh of relief; this meeting wasn't about the events of the morning. Or at least, she would have, if Sanqua's preceding words hadn't opened a new can of concerns.

"I was going to talk about it yesterday, but you seemed preoccupied," the captain began, sitting down and returning to a more serious stance. "We have plenty of time to discuss it now. Tell me, have you heard of the Sandgem project?"

"I… heard about it from a colleague..." Mina mused. "But I don't know much, no."

"Great, then let me catch you up. We're planning on building another key settlement near the Sandgem flats, just south of Jubilife. Its proximity to one of the great lakes, the ocean, and Ramanas Island would make it a perfect location for Pokemon research and spreading the information across Hisui, so Laventon and his crew have been pushing for the plans to get finalized. We've worked with the survey corps to scout out the area and eventually, we'll figure out some supply routes with the Gingko guild. The problem is, we can't get started on it yet - as you're painfully aware, we're sorely lacking in members at the moment. Our builders are stretched thin as is, and we've got barely a couple of folks running the on-site operations."

Mina shifted uncomfortably. "I could… do my best to help speed up the administrative process…"

"Yes, but…" Sanqua leaned forward and looked directly at her. "I have a question for you, Mina. How do you like it in the office?"

She blinked, unsure how to respond. "It's… good. Lots of organization work, which I like, and everyone is nice to work with. Not as exciting as the outside jobs, I'm sure, but… at least I know I'm making a difference in the Galaxy Team..." She waited for a second and furrowed her brow. "I-Is this about my performance?"

"Oh, not at all." Sanqua shook her head. "You've actually been doing a cracking job. The boys on the field seem to love you; Yorrich couldn't stop singing your praises to me yesterday. Which then got me thinking - a member of the corps as talented and dedicated as you shouldn't be locked up in a small room."

A droplet of sweat trickled down Mira's forehead as she instinctively backed up, "Uh…"

Sanqua inched even closer, her eyes lit with excitement. "I need someone to lead the Sandgem project for me, Mina, someone on the field. An individual who knows our corps inside and out; someone who actually understands the builders and can lead them. And I've sensed that spark of leadership in you from the very beginning, Mina - after all, owning a Pokemon takes a lot of work!"

"Um… It's-"

"Now, I was a bit hesitant offering this at first, given the dangerous nature of leaving the village. But seeing that you have your very own partner Pokemon already, I see no reason to hold back any longer! You've done amazing work here at the Galaxy Hall, and I know you'd do an even better job on the field."

Mina's heart was thumping out of her chest, but she struggled to say anything. "Th-this is…"

"Yes, I know this is a lot, especially for such a large undertaking. But believe me when I say that you have my full trust and support in this endeavor, Mina."

"I… th-thank you…?" Mina stammered, her knuckles white from how hard she was gripping the chair cushion.

"Absolutely, you've truly earned it." Sanqua grinned. "I'll take that as a 'yes' from you then, wonderful!" She stood up and flipped through a stack of papers in one of the cabinets, "We can get started on the paperwork immediately! Fetch me Izumi, please-"

Mina blinked and let go of the chair, only now realizing what she'd agreed to. "Wait-"

The office door burst open and the figure of Izumi Saito marched into the room. "You called for me, Captain."

"Oh! She's attentive." Sanqua raised her eyebrows, then redirected her attention to Mina. "Yes Mina, what's the matter, Mina?"

The young clerk opened her mouth to speak, but then glanced up at Izumi. The woman had a sly smile on her face and a mischievous glint in her eye, looking down at her expectantly, waiting for her to crack. Mina could feel the Komala gripping onto her leg tighter.

Mina pursed her lips and furrowed her brow. "Nothing, captain. I can't wait to get started."

"That's the enthusiasm I'm looking for!" Sanqua smiled. "Izumi and I will take care of the paperwork. You focus on finishing your tasks for now; I'll keep you updated!"

"Thank you." Mina stood up and bowed respectfully, then made her way to the door. As she passed by Izumi, the woman glanced down at Mina's leg and back at her.

"Mind the Pokemon. You wouldn't want it to bump its head on the way out." She smirked.

Mina returned the fake smile and headed back to her office, holding her breath the entire way until she could quietly close the door behind her. She then fell back against it and slumped to the floor, mortified.

She had just signed her own death sentence.

yoMiVe7.png

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
Years
竜​
心​
娘​
Body: Healthy
Mind: Severe Amnesia
Heart: Malaise
"Girl"
Survey Corps
A nameless girl jerked upright in her bed with something resembling a start, a phantom anxiety leftover from the night before having just hit her. Had she overslept? Would she miss out on this job? She never got picked for the real important stuff, so if she messed this up she'd get demoted to ... eating even less! ...The sensation of bedhead drew her from her thoughts, a small grunt of annoyance escaping her. Great. Time to fix her hair again, ugh. She had eat, clean herself up, get dressed, make sure Tyrunt was up and willing, make sure she was packed, and yet somehow brushing her hair was still going to dominate the majority of her morning prep! Sometimes she thought about cutting it, but she knew she was just taking her hair for granted. She'd miss it a lot if it were gone. She'd already made that mistake once--hadn't she? She couldn't consciously remember, but her body seemed to remember just fine, judging by the anxiety the thought gave her. Or were those just her normal feelings? ...No time for that. She needed to break her fast!

She tossed the old clothes she'd been using as a blanket aside and hopped out of bed, waking her pokemon in the process as she hurried over to peer outside for a moment and check what time it was. To her relief, it still looked vaguely like dawn out. Had she convinced her body to wake up at the right time or just gotten lucky? She wasn't sure. Regardless, she then moved to begin rummaging through her pantry. Tyrunt yawned softly and got up at a leisurely pace, shaking herself off and beginning to aimlessly wander the room sleepily checking to make sure her territory was still in order. The girl hurriedly slapped two slices of bread onto a plate and began dicing and piling whatever looked good onto it. Some raddish, some bell pepper, lettuce and onions. Don't forget the cheese! Perfect! ...Well, it was far from perfect, but it was the best she could do without paying someone to cook for her, but at least she had nice fresh ingredients to work with! She certainly felt like a chef wielding that knife anyway. She moved to sit down with her prepared meal, silently pondering if she'd make enough off this mission to be able to afford something sweet, or perhaps some meat.

However, when she lifted the sandwhich up to bite Tyrunt ambushed her, lunging in and chomping down on both the sandwhich, pinching her just below the wrist in the process. The girl shrieked in alarm, and for a moment her eyes met Tyrunt's. Tyrunt stared at her unassumingly, as if she were unaware she'd done anything wrong. The girl, in turn, glared a bit. Yoooou little brat--How dare you steal my sandwhich! ...Is what she kinda wanted to say. Buuut that was probably her sore wrist and empty stomach talking instead of her heart, so she didn't. Instead she took a deep breath, released the sandwhich, and gave Tyrunt a big hug with her other arm, pressing her cheek to the side of the pokemon's snout. "You better use that energy to do good work today, okay cutie~?" she affectionately cooed, showering the pokemon in affection until she released her hand just to get away from it. The girl briefly inspected her hand. There was some slight discoloration where she'd been bitten, a very mild bruise maybe, but nothing serious by the looks of it. She supposed she'd just have to continue fasting for a bit longer, then! Sighing wistfully, she got back up and set out grooming herself for the day.

A good hour and a half later, she emerged from her house in a survey corps uniform that was slightly too big for her small form, the scarf obscuring her face below the nose and the tunic looking a bit bulky around her shoulders. Her hair was crudely tied up in something resembling a very bulky ponytail. One could kind of tell she'd probably struggled a bit with it just by looking at it, but at least she didn't have bedhead anymore! She had noteworthily allowed some of her bangs to hang free. The girl steeled herself for the day approaching. People were depending on her, which meant she couldn't let a little thing like hunger pangs get in the way of doing her job. It was probably her biggest job yet, but that didn't mean she couldn't handle it! She just had to take this seriously! Her job today was to protect some construction corps while they worked on setting up an interim camp, east of... horseshoe plains? She was sure they'd correct her if she forgot.

She set out for the village gate to wait for the other members of the expedition group to arrive, lighting brushing at her stinging wrist and ever so lazily kicking her legs while she waited, her eyes peeled. Tyrunt was following behind her, and decided to lay down and curl up next to her on the ground to catch a little bit of extra rest. Tyrunt wasn't actually asleep though, and any indication that someone was within 15 feet or so would get her to open her eyes and stare, unwilling to be vulnerable near strangers. As she sat, the girl began to idly hum a tune--only she couldn't remember most of its notes, and so it came out as just a couple of disembodied notes at a time, its melody more or less unrecognizable. None-the-less, the humming helped her relax a little as she waited for reasons she couldn't put into words.

ShinyDiamond

[b]The Other Promise[/b]
Years
attachment.php

Morgan Hokori
Survey Corps

261.png

Poochyena was snoring away the morning wind under the rock, not a care for whatever ails the world. Too bad his nap ends so soon as Morgan talks his ear off to wake up. "C'mon already, we haven't got all day." Morgan was itching to get something done already. He's spent enough time at the beach. There's nothing specific he has to do, he just isn't the type to sit still for too long. Poochyena scratches his ear as he wakes up, yawns & looks over at Morgan. "Let's go check out the fields. We need the exercise," he explains as he starts walking back to the main gate, his Poochyena following behind.

On his way through the village, Morgan kept to himself despite the stares from the onlookers. They still aren't warmed up to him, but that hardly matters anyway. As he was passing by one of the buildings, a rather bland individual rushes past him excitedly, nearly knocking Morgan off balance. As he regains his footing, he was already shouting at the man who was rushing off who knows where. "Watch it, bolts for brains!" Morgan anger was shown plainly on his face, teeth grinding, fist raised. The people around just stared at him, whispering amongst themselves. Morgan's already in a bad mood, resulting in his anger being thrown at them now. "Got nothing better to do than talk about me in front of me?" His tantrum scared some of them off, but that didn't stop their gossiping. They were really getting on his nerves. The sooner he gets out of here & away from the villagers, the better. He marches onward towards the Front Gate, fuming inside.

Just before the gate was a guardsman, Rest or something. Morgan could never remember his name or bother to. He wasn't ecstatic to see Morgan either. "Off to the fields again I see. Trouble with the villagers again?" Guess his reputation precedes him.

"They're the ones asking for it." He gave an annoyed answer, itching to get moving already.

"You know it looks bad on us when you cause problems."

"How many times have I heard that already? Can I get going?" The guardsman sighs before letting him pass through. Morgan makes the trip to Obsidian Fieldlands, ready to get some training done.

"That's another ball of mud. Think I scoped this place enough." Morgan had finished up scavenging the surrounding area for any resources he could make use of. It's dangerous territory outside the village, & while he was already prepared, it never hurts to stay safe. Poochyena runs by carrying an apricorn in his teeth, passing it to him. "Nice. Always good to have more ways to fight." Stashing the apricorn in his satchel, Morgan looks around for his next destination when he spots a nearby Machop. Looks like it hasn't taken notice of them yet. This was the perfect opportunity to get some experience. "Pooch, heads up." He whispers, ducking while preparing a ball of mud. It looked just strong enough to provide a decent challenge, at least for Poochyena. Personally, he would prefer to take one a bigger Pokémon, but beggars can't be choosers. Once Machop turns its back, he throws the mud ball at it, striking its head & stunning it. "Gotcha! Go get 'em, Poochyena!" he shouts, Poochyena jumping on Morgan's arm & launching himself at his opponent.

"Give 'em a Headbutt!" Morgan starts off with a Headbutt command, Poochyena landing a hit on Machop. Morgan runs to the side to get a better view & angle of the battle in the meantime. Machop was starting to recover its earlier mud attack, Morgan wasting no time to take the opening. "Knock its eyes out with Sand Attack!" Poochyena kicks some sand at Machop, but It narrowly dodges in time, coming back with a huge rock it picks up & smashes it again Poochyena. "Are you kidding?" Despite taking the advantage, the tables quickly turned, frustrating Morgan. That took a lot out of Poochyena. "OK, just a setback. knock it out with Fire Fang!" Poochyena, injured but still kicking, lunges back with burning fangs, biting Machop at its side. It flinches at it tries to shake him off, with Poochyena getting off as it retaliates with a straight punch. "Outta the way!" Morgan shouts, Poochyena hopping back to avoid its punches in time. "Tackle!" He runs & picks up his speed to ram into Machop, knocking it down finally. As the dust settles, Machop is lying down unconscious, Poochyena still catching his breath. "Freakin' finally won..." Morgan breathes a sigh of relief, walking over to Poochyena with his Pokéball. "Let's get you back inside so you don't have to walk the way back." He beams his Poochyena back into his Pokéball, putting it back into his satchel & looking over at the Machop. A good few seconds pass by before he leaves an Oran Berry for the trouble he caused it. "My bad." He walks off soon after, leaving the cave while avoiding any more nearby Pokémon.

It'd be a while before he got back to the village since Poochyena, while still conscious, did take a hard hit. Might need to take it easy before getting back into it. While deep in thought, Morgan heard some rustling nearby. "Hm?" By the time he turns around, something knocks him flat on the ground as he blacks out.

Attachments

• Dust Icon.png
    Dust Icon.png
    17.5 KB · Views: 144
Back