• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favorite obscure Pokémon!

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Cryogonal, Skiploom, Palpitoad, Tyrogue and Dewgong are slightly less visible pokemon that I really like :)

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 5, 2021
I see others have mentionned them, but Sigilyph and Crustle are awesome low-key pokemon. Also Kingler, Kingdra, Archen, Whiscash, Eelektross

TaviTurnip

Artist and Streamer | Also a turnip
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
People tell me Maractus is "forgettable" so I'll assume it falls under obscurity and vote for that :P Since I'm a huge fan of it.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
Obscure Pokemon, just the term itself doesn't resonate with me. Pokemon is so well known, no Pokemon can ever be obscure to me.

I think you mean more underused, right?

Years
I honestly am quite fond of a lot of obscure pokemon. Some that immediately come to mind include:
Cherubi, Lumineon, Reuniclus, Skitty, Gothitelle, Articuno, Pachirisu, Liepard, Cinccino, Glameow, Wurmple, & Tropius. (Beautifly, if others perceive it as obscure, although, I personally think it's decently well known. I thought I'd include it, just in case, considering it's one of my favourite pokemon).

All of these pokemon deserve so much more appreciation and recognation, and are unfortunately overshadowed by more popular pokemon.

Last edited:

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
Years
I could go on forever about my favourite obscure Pok?mon, so I'll try limiting it to one:

Spoiler:

Mawa

The typo Queen
Years
Some of my favorite Pokemon, up to you to decide if they are obscure:

Marowak (I assume not, Cubone is kinda epic?)
Rhydon (not rhyperior, Rhydon. with an eviolite, please)
Mienshao
Froslass
Ribombee
Agrron (I assume not)
Armaldo (yeah this one is pretty much obscure?)
And many more...

icycatelf

Alex
Years
Dunsparce, Lickitung, and Shiny Mothim are some of my top favorite Pok?mon, all of which I feel are fairly obscure (though Dunsparce's popularity seems to be growing).

Even I overlooked Mothim for a long time. It wasn't until after XY that I discovered what its Shiny form looked like and fell in love. Since getting a full-odds one in HGSS earlier this year, it's been a strong contender for my #1 favorite Pok?mon. I still can't decide between it, Dunsparce, and Wartortle! Dx

Last edited:

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
I honestly am quite fond of a lot of obscure pokemon. Some that immediately come to mind include:
Cherubi, Lumineon, Reuniclus, Skitty, Gothitelle, Articuno, Pachirisu, Liepard, Cinccino, Glameow, Wurmple, & Tropius. (Beautifly, if others perceive it as obscure, although, I personally think it's decently well known. I thought I'd include it, just in case, considering it's one of my favourite pokemon).

All of these pokemon deserve so much more appreciation and recognation, and are unfortunately overshadowed by more popular pokemon.

Not a bad list but some don't pass the muster due to the Anime. Firstly, Pachirisu is not an obscure Pokemon thanks to Dawn and what happened in 2014.... Skitty is also not obscure thanks to May(I attribute some of Beautifly's popularity to May as well, although its a solid Generation 3 Bug Type). Glameow, even though its stats aren't the best, is well known due to Zoey. It's also a stretch to call a Legendary(Articuno) an obscure Pokemon.

For me in regards to favorite "obscure" Pokemon, its Tauros. Generation 1 Normal Type that doesn't get the love it rightfully deserves.

Last edited:
Years
Not a bad list but some don't pass the muster due to the Anime. Firstly, Pachirisu is not an obscure Pokemon thanks to Dawn and what happened in 2014.... Skitty is also not obscure thanks to May(I attribute some of Beautifly's popularity to May as well, although its a solid Generation 3 Bug Type). Glameow, even though its stats aren't the best, is well known due to Zoey. It's also a stretch to call a Legendary(Articuno) an obscure Pokemon.

Yes, I do agree with you, however, not all pokemon fans watch or have seen the anime, which is why I included Skitty, Glameow, Pachirisu, etc. What's considered 'obscure' is subjective, we all have different ideals and interpretations of the term and what it refers to. So yes, those pokemon aren't "obscure" by my personal standards, but they still remain unrecognized by a sizable portion of pokemon fans.

I included Articuno because while, yes, it is a legendary, however, it's not one what receives a lot of attention and it has a tendency to get eclipsed by more famous legendaries such as Mewtwo. (Again, this is my own perception of things. Maybe you disagree that Articuno is unpopular, which is fair).

Last edited:

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
Cherrim is my fave and it's not... exactly popular. (And that's fine by me because it means I can snag it as a username more easily!)

Honestly most of my faves are a little obscure. Cherrim is my favourite, followed by Probopass who is only popular for how loathed it is, then Cherubi and Vanillite follow them up. I tend to like Pokemon that aren't really viable in the game and then end up not getting a lot of spotlight in the other media of the franchise. :< Oh well.

Years
Obscure Pokemon, just the term itself doesn't resonate with me. Pokemon is so well known, no Pokemon can ever be obscure to me.

I think you mean more underused, right?

Of course, the term "obscure" here should be interpreted in relative terms rather than absolute, considering how massive Pokémon is as a franchise. "Underused" wouldn't really be wrong, either, though.

On topic, Dunsparce is another obscure favorite of mine! It's not very strong, but I would still spend so much time looking for it as a kid whenever I played a Johto game, and it was always really satisfying to finally get one, even if I would never end up using them. Chimecho is another Pokémon I'm fond of for similar reasons! It's much less obscure now, though, thanks to Sinnoh making Chingling—and therefore Chimecho, as well, by extension—so common.

I also love Anorith! It actually might be my favorite fossil Pokémon. I'd love to use both it and Cacnea at some point.

Last edited:

rheometric

certified smeargologist
Years
Dusclops is up there for me.

On a related note, I think the Binacle line might be some of the most obscure Pokémon. I got a pack of cards for the holidays years ago and there was one of those weird little dudes in there -- I remember having a brief mental breakdown because there was somehow two whole Pokémon I didn't recognize. I figured out a little later that it must have just been because I didn't smash many rocks in my X & Y playthroughs.

Neronaya

STAR GATE HEAVEN
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Aug 19, 2023
On a related note, I think the Binacle line might be some of the most obscure Pokémon.

Sometimes I wish I could forget that this weird little "handy" dude exists....
689-Barbaracle.png

honestly I think I really did forget about that line until you just brought it up

Back