• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Nicknames: Sharing and Suggestions

Years
Here's a thread to post the nicknames that you gave your precious Pokemon! Be it silly names, names that fit a Pokemon's background/origin, or just names that you think fit a Pokemon's personality and vibe.
This thread can also be used for posting and suggesting possible nicknames for a certain Pokemon.
_______________________________________​

Here's some of the nicknames I gave to my Pokemon.:

Treecko/Grovyle/Sceptile: Leif
Leif is a male name and a homonym of "Leaf," and this evolutionary line is Grass type. duh.
Mudsdale: Bojack
Nickname based off the show Bojack Horseman. duh.
Swellow: But Does She
I have quite the mind, don't I?
Roselia/Roserade: Tango
Because in many forms of media, Tango dancers are sometimes depicted holding roses in their mouths.
Exploud: LOUD NOISES
Do I really need to explain?
Gliscor: Alucard
hellsing abridged is amazing (or just name it Marty)
Porygon-Z: Anomaly
An anomaly is something that is abnormal. Porygon-Z is based on the idea that the Dubious Disc, filled with malicious software, corrupted Porygon2 and it had caused major errors.
Kartana: Papercut
It's a Pokemon with a paper-like body that also has swords for hands. What else would you name it?
Sableye: Amethyst
It's fond of gems, and this particular gemstone matches its color very closely. Finally, "ame" means "soul" or "spirit" in old French.
Charizard: Tabasco
mama mia that's a spicy meatball
Infernape: Rafiki
IT'S THE CIRCLE OF LIIIIIFE!!
_______________________________________​

So everyone, once again, feel free to post your Pokemon's nicknames and suggestions for other Pokemon!

Last edited:

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
Years
  • Age 28
  • UK
  • Seen Apr 17, 2024
Blaziken - Kagutsuchi
Infernape - Wukong
Emboar - Zhu Bajie
Salamence/Garchomp - Tiamat
Flygon - Gaia
Ninetales/Zoroark - Kitsune

Most of the nicknames I use are based on deities, mythological figures, etc. Some are also named after an anime/game character they remind me of - Kotori for Decidueye, for example.

Last edited:

Raffy98

[color=#2d9bce][b][span="font-family: 'century got
Years
I don't usually nickname my Pokemon, but one day while playing SoulSilver I caught a Vulpix and I had the great idea to name it "Mozilla" in reference to the web browser Firefox. haha

Arjay

#GoStags
Years
When X and Y first came out I thought Chesnaught looked kinda like it was based on bigfoot so I named mine Grassquatch.

Years
Rowlet (male, starter in Sun): Growlet

Mudkip (male, starter in Alpha Sapphire): Crasher Wake

Zigzagoon (male, X): Ziggy Smalls

Slakoth (Black 2): Bread (it "loafs around")

Froakie (male, starter in X): Lancelot

My first starter back in 2001, Totodile (male): VERYGATOR

Togetic (male, Gen 2): ROCKSMASH

Poliwrath (female, Gen 2): WATERFALL

Doduo: Gemini

Mightyena (male): Sirius

Stantler (male, White 1): Prongs

Tepig (male, my starter in Black 2): Pork Chop

Growlithe (Black 2): Hot Dog

Ditto: Nymph

Smeargle (male): Picasso

Magnemite (Black 2): Faraday

Azurill (Emerald): ITCHY

My friend nicknamed his Trubbish in X Wumpkins. There's also some random NPC girl in the Johto games who said she called her Pidgey Strawberry.

Last edited:

Ultra Sun

Yes this is PC user Sun lol
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 29, 2022
I call the Snorlax in my VG Silver Joeseph.
It's the most basic name ever, but also fitting bc
1) Snorlax looks basic and has a basic typing
2) It looks like a Joseph

Lord Flamingo

Hmm, pretzels.
Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Apr 13, 2018
I have certain naming schemes for different types - for example, Fire-type Pokémon can be named after volcanos, Electric-type Pokémon can be named after stars, Grass-types after flowers, and so on! I do have some preset names for determinated Pokémon, though.

Treecko line - Byblis.
Pikachu line - Rigel.
Tepig line - Teide.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
Years
HAVE SOME LORE

I named my Tsareena in Ultra Moon "H Mayonnaise". The origin of this nickname is a bit of a stretch, really, but it came to mind when a friend said "homemade mayonnaise". And what video game character has a name that sort of rhymes with mayonnaise? Bayonetta. And both Bayonetta and Tsareena have long legs. So...

I have even worse nicknames for my Pokemon, but that's for another time I guess.

Back