• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Creepy/unsettling Pokemon designs?

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 8, 2017
togepi-16846.jpg

Are there any Pokemon that somehow, in some way, you find unnerving to look at?

It doesn't bother me so much now, but when I was little, Jynx really creeped me out. She's not human - yet at the same time, looks just human enough to be unsettling. I dreaded exploring ice path.

Cofagrigus because it's a living coffin. Enough said.

Cubone, because every single one in existence apparently has a dead mother and decides to wear her skull for whatever reason.

Not really a Pokemon technically, but Missingno is also creepy because it can corrupt your savegame, and possibly your whole cartridge.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cool_Porygon

Lurking in the shadows
Years
Sableye with its creepy grin, Gengar as well. Also Malamar, I found it unsettling even before seeing it in the anime.

Years
I guess Gengar is naturally unsettling and other Pokemon like Banette for example are too.

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
Years
Guzzlord, Those are either hands in his mouth or his last meal trying to escape.

His Pokédex entries aren't much better.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Spoiler:

hhhHEHHHHEEEELP
From the moment I saw it, I was unsettled haha.

AliceBlaze

Shiny Collector
Years
Mr Mime with its creepy smile and the fact it practically breaks the fourth wall in the 3DS games.

Crobat in 3D.
Spoiler:

I don't mind it as much in the 3DS games though.

Exeggutor's Red/Blue sprite with its unproportioned body and creepy smiles.
exeggutor.png

Shiinotic with its black, souless eyes.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
Years
There's actually a multitude of Pokémon that set me off. The Whismur family, Sigilyph, the Ultra Beasts, and a few others simply for their bizarre designs, and Sableye because it looks really unsettling.

Plus, have you seen Darkrai's legs?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
Conceptually, the Paras line is pretty disturbing imo - it "evolves" by having the parasitic mushrooms on its back take over control of its body. I know it's not even the worst, most Ghost-types have far creepier backstories/dex entries.

Visually though, I definitely agree the UB's have a very unsettling, un-Pokémon look about them. Sableye kind of creeps me out too, especially in the later games where it makes that "ticking" motion when animated.

Spyro

[title=Free 6iv Dittos!][url=https://www.reddit.co
Years
  • Seen Oct 5, 2018
I think the Litwick line is pretty creepy since I've read their Pokédex entries. Those Pokémon are actually malicious/evil :(
Spoiler:

And look at its face with the creepy smile!
Litwick shines a light that absorbs the life energy of people and Pokémon, which becomes the fuel that it burns.
While shining a light and pretending to be a guide, it leeches off the life force of any who follow it.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 7, 2020
When I was playing through Red as a seven year old kid, two things used to absolutely freak me out in those games.

Missing-.gif

MissingNo. absolutely scares me. It's like the Cthulhu of the Pokemon Universe. A promise of absolute power but at the ultimate price of the slow destruction of the entire game's universe. When finding MissingNo. it was like unleashing a great, powerful and unstoppable evil. After I had unleashed MissingNo. in the original Red version when I was little, that thing haunted me across my pokemon games for a few years, destroying save files, distorting pokemon, NPC's and even towns, it turned my game into a horrific mess, it was practically traumatic to me.
I have many memories of MissingNo. and not a single one is good. Even to this day, his picture is absolutely unsettling to me.

092.png

The original art style of Gastly was pretty freaky to me (before the anime decided to turn it into that silly looking floating black ball). I actually remember having a nightmare as a little kid about being haunted by a Gastly that looked exactly like the original sprite style for Red and Blue. Just a misty floating face haunting me with that disturbing fang filled smile. Don't get me wrong, I do think this is the absolute best art for Gastly, but it's the best art because of how creepy and unsettling it is in this form.

Last edited:

LuminousWarrior

Knight In Battle Scarred Armour
Years
I absolutely love Ghost-types as a whole, ever since I faced down Morty as a kid. But, even though I love Ghost-types, there is one Pokemon that just gives me all the wrong kind of heebie-jeebies.

250px-354Banette.png

BANETTE!!! I know that all Ghost-types are creepy and unsettling in thier own way. Gengar is a nightmarish shadow, Misdreavus enjoys screaming in your face, Drifloon abduct kids or at least tries to. Every Ghost-type has something that makes them scary. But that's fine by me, because they're supposed to be scary. They're ghosts! They're creepy in all the right ways, and I love them for it. But Banette. Freakin' Banette! I'm fine with Shuppet, but not Banette. I don't know what it is about those freaky little voodoo dolls, but Banette is on a whole other level of nightmare.

Also, while I'm perfectly fine with them, my Dad can't stand Mr. Mime.

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
Years
Honestly I don't really find a lot of the Ghost Pokemon in existence to bet that... scary. I mean yeah they CAN be scary... but a lot of the time they're just cute. Or awesome looking. Or sometimes both. But THIS thing....

iu

It's got eyes on its arms and I don't approve. ;-;

Really what is with this thing? It's a tentacle monster with eyes on every tentacle. It's even an amalgamate of 7 of its pre-evolution a la Magneton and Dugtrio. I don't know what they were thinking here but it reminds me of parasitic worms and I can't say I like it.

The Ultra Beasts in general I'm... ok with, for the most part, but Buzzwole is also kinda scary, what with it being a giant mosquito. Parasect also is creepy as its situation reminds me a lot of cordyceps fungus, which like the mushrooms infesting Paras infects and takes over its insect host, forcing it to propagate its spores until it keels over and dies. Scary stuff there.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
Banette, Banette, Banette, Banette, Banette, and I guess Banette.

Strangely enough, I really only seem to consider 1 out of all the 802 mons that exist right now to be remotely 'creepy'. Pah.

Back