• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Should I Obtain Permission From A ROM Hack Creator To Create Content On YouTube?

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 17, 2022
Basically, I would like to start creating content on YouTube, and the content in question is Let's Plays of various Pokemon games. The thing is, I would like to start with Glazed but I don't know if it would be inappropriate to do so without obtaining permission from whomever created the game. Should I contact the author or would I be okay under these circumstances?

Years
  • Seen Mar 1, 2024
I think it's fine to play public games without permission, although as a creator I'd definitely appreciate someone reaching out to tell me about their Let's Play so that I can watch it! :)

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
Years
LPs are generally understood to be an Okay Thing™ with its own unique experience compared to the game's baseline (eg.: commentary, fandom talk, what ifs, funny accidents with the saves). And like mgriffin said, the games are out there to be experience and I'm sure their creators would love to find out and have some form of acknowledgement of their work, in particular if you can manage more of that uniqueness.

Years
  • Seen yesterday
@Salvation714

Let's plays are considered fine as Venia Silente said.

That a hacked Pokemon game doesn't ''use their own content'' is plain false in nearly all cases. Yes, it uses a base ROM with lots of content made by GameFreak, but it nearly always contains unique content by a ROM hacker as well.

Back