• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Apple unveils two new iPhones & iOS 7

First impressions: Your thoughts?

• Total voters
Years
Tomorrow's the day! Making it a bit early, but hey.

Today would be one of the worst days ever to buy a new iPhone. That's because tomorrow Apple is expected to announce not one but two new iPhones -- the iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C.

At its headquarters in Cupertino, Calif., Apple will hold an event on Tuesday that it says will "brighten everyone's day." Beyond that Apple hasn't said much about its next phones, but thanks to rumors, leaks and heavy speculation, we have a pretty good handle on what is coming at the gathering, which begins at 10 a.m. PT / 1 p.m. ET.

abc_iphone_5_130820_wb.jpg

The iPhone 5S
Think of the iPhone 5S like the iPhone 4S -- an update to the current iPhone with some new tricks. According to the leaks, the iPhone 5S will look like the 5, though it might come in a new gold hue. It is expected to have one big difference though on its home button: a fingerprint reader.

According to leaks and some leaked software code in iOS 7, the fingerprint sensor will allow you to log into the phone with just a swipe of your finger. Other improvements are said to include a faster processor and a better camera. So if you are holding out for an iPhone with a bigger screen than the current 4-inch display, it looks like you are going to have to wait a bit longer.

HT_iphone_5c_nt_130819_4x3t_384.jpg

The iPhone 5S won't be alone in the spotlight tomorrow. A plastic, lower-cost version of the iPhone, called the iPhone 5C, is expected to make its debut. According to the many leaked photos of the phone, it will come in a series of colors, including yellow, white, green and blue.

The idea is that this phone will be a cheaper model than the 5S and might replace the iPhone 4S or 5 on store shelves as Apple usually drops the price of older models when the newest iPhone is released. Both the iPhone 5S and the 5C will launch on Sept. 20, sources told ABC News.

An iOS 7 Release Date
The biggest news at the event might not even be the hardware. In June, Apple previewed iOS 7, the next version of the iPhone and iPad software that looks radically different. Everything has been redesigned with new colors and icons and there are new features too, including a Command Center for easy access to settings and a new camera app. Siri also has a different voice.

Apple will announce the release date of the software at the event, which will likely be the week of the iPhone launch. Apple has already said that iOS 7 would be out this fall for the iPhone 4, iPhone 4S and iPhone 5.

iPods and Apple TV
Beyond the iPhones and iOS 7, Apple is also likely to also update its iPods as it does at its annual September event. However, there are conflicting reports about whether Apple will introduce a new Apple TV or just a software update for the Apple TV. According to the very reliable All Things D, there will be just a software update that enables more streaming capabilities from your iPhone or iPad.

Of course, this is all speculation until Apple takes the stage. ABC News will be at the event in Cupertino and will have live blog coverage starting at 9:30 a.m. PT / 12:30 p.m. ET

• Will you be getting the new phone?
  • Opinion of the design?
  • Opinion on iOS 7 (design, features, etc)
  • Can Apple make a comeback in lieu of Job's death and tumbling stock prices, as well as heightened competition from Samsung?
  • Anything you'd like to see Apple implement? What don't you like about the phone/the OS?

Tune in to the live coverage tomorrow morning for the big reveal!

Discuss away!

Last edited:

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
Years
Today would be one of the worst days ever to buy a new iPhone.
Yeah so my friend actually bought an iPhone 5 today (his 4S was broken and he's been wanting to replace it for quite a while). I didn't know about this before reading your blog entry, but yeah when I tell him about this he is going to be pissed.

iOS7 I did know about though, because of E3. I always tune in to E3. I've always hated iOS, maybe iOS7 could change that? I don't know, we'll see.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I personally don't like the way how Apple whips out a new iPhone every year. It always makes think that my current iPhone (which is perfectly fine, by the way) is outdated and gives me the urge to have it replaced. D:

Anyway, I really like the design of iOS 7. It seems to be very beautiful, and I love its simplicity. I'm not going to get this phone, but I may go out to the store and test out its new features. One thing that I'd to see is an improvement to the quality of the phone's camera. I would also like to see its weight decreased a little, if possible.

Last edited:
Years
I personally don't like the way how Apple whips out a new iPhone every year. It always makes think that my current iPhone (which is perfectly fine, by the way) is outdated and gives me the urge to have it replaced. D:

Anyway, I really like the design of iOS 7. It seems to be very beautiful, and I love its simplicity. I'm not going to get this phone, but I may go out to the store and test out its new features. One thing that I'd really to see is an improvement to the quality of the phone's camera. I would also like to see its weight decreased a little, if possible.

That's marketing for ya.

And I really do like the design of 7. My question is, if the 5C is cheaper than the 5S, what can it not do? If it does basically the same things, has iOS 7, and is significantly cheaper, then Ill buy that. Unless the 5S is a gift from God.

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
I really think it's time for Apple to do more than just do a few changes. It's time to get rid of the "S" line and just innovate every year. The differences between the iPhone 4 and 5 are pretty miniscule, imo, and it's time to make a splash. The differences between the Galaxy SII, SIII, and S4 are all quite different and I think Apple needs to look at what their rivals are doing. Samsung has a larger market share than they do (yes, I'm not just talking out of my ass, see pie chart).

smartphone_market_share.png.CROP.article568-large.png

They can't live on just the iPhone brand loyalty forever.. I hope that iOS 7 has enough innovation on the software side to cover up the lack of innovation on the hardware side. A four inch screen? OMG THAT IS TINY TODAY! And it's not wide at all... browsing webpages with it is a pain in the ass (yes, I've used an iPhone and a lot of these complaints come from two iPhone users I know!). Make the phone like a little bit wider at least...

PS: I know the fingerprint scanner is pretty awesome, I've got to admit, but tbh that's the only really big "feature" that they're introducing with the 5S. Whoopty doo.

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
Years
I really think it's time for Apple to do more than just do a few changes. It's time to get rid of the "S" line and just innovate every year. The differences between the iPhone 4 and 5 are pretty miniscule, imo, and it's time to make a splash. The differences between the Galaxy SII, SIII, and S4 are all quite different and I think Apple needs to look at what their rivals are doing. Samsung has a larger market share than they do.

They can't live on just the iPhone brand loyalty forever.. I hope that iOS 7 has enough innovation on the software side to cover up the lack of innovation on the hardware side. A four inch screen? OMG THAT IS TINY TODAY! And it's not wide at all... browsing webpages with it is a pain in the ass (yes, I've used an iPhone and a lot of these complaints come from two iPhone users I know!). Make the phone like a little bit wider at least...

PS: I know the fingerprint scanner is pretty awesome, I've got to admit, but tbh that's the only really big "feature" that they're introducing with the 5S. Whoopty doo.

Agreeing with most of what you said. The S phones are barely a step up from their predecessors. I'm thinking the S stands for Slap a slightly better camera and processor on it. The small screen, however, is fine with me. My 4S's screen allows the phone to remain small and nothing is hard for me to see.

My contract ends this December, so I'll probably be upgrading to the new iPhone, or the iOS at least because it's a free upgrade. My 4S is getting worse by the day; it dies at 15% battery and keeps turning the volume all the way up by itself... My only issue with iOS 7 is that most of the new features can be achieved via jailbreaking, so I'm hoping the 5S will have better hardware to make my upgrade worth it.

Echidna

Years
I really think it's time for Apple to do more than just do a few changes. It's time to get rid of the "S" line and just innovate every year. The differences between the iPhone 4 and 5 are pretty miniscule, imo, and it's time to make a splash. The differences between the Galaxy SII, SIII, and S4 are all quite different and I think Apple needs to look at what their rivals are doing. Samsung has a larger market share than they do (yes, I'm not just talking out of my ass, see pie chart).

Well in my mind, Samsung > Apple. In all ways, shapes, and forms. This is my own opinion though...

iOS 7 does looks pretty damn sleek. I for one am really looking forward for more reveals in that regard.

Years
I am probably going to watch the keynote as much as possible tomorrow, but I just really never understood on how the iPhone 4 would be eligible for the iOS 7 upgrade, but not the iPod Touch 4G, which is a newer system than the iPhone 4.. but I am intrigued at how much the design in iOS has changed for version 7, and I'll be looking forward to see what things Apple has to say tomorrow.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
I'm liking the design of the home and lock screen. Looks like they're trying to win over the Samsung fans with the design alone. But I can't seeing just that winning over Samsung fans and this new iPhone would need alot more new features to do that. Lately I've thinking alot of what kind of phone I want as a first phone and so I might go to a store to test this out when it's released along with other phones and judge which is better.

Years
I'm liking the design of the home and lock screen. Looks like they're trying to win over the Samsung fans with the design alone. But I can't seeing just that winning over Samsung fans and this new iPhone would need alot more new features to do that. Lately I've thinking alot of what kind of phone I want as a first phone and so I might go to a store to test this out when it's released along with other phones and judge which is better.

I really like how the two base wallpapers are dynamic and move/are animated like ones you can find on the Galaxy. That's really cool to me.

Serene Grace

Pokémon Trainer
Years
That's marketing for ya.

And I really do like the design of 7. My question is, if the 5C is cheaper than the 5S, what can it not do? If it does basically the same things, has iOS 7, and is significantly cheaper, then Ill buy that. Unless the 5S is a gift from God.
The 5C seems to be made out of plastic instead of the usual glass and aluminium, therefore it would be cheaper to manufacture and sell. The majority of the cost factor of the current iPhones aren't their insides, but the premium materials used to make the body of the devices. It is rumoured to have exactly the same insides, software, etc. as the "5S" though so if you don't care for the deign (the more expensive iPhone should look better) then the 5C is the way to go.

That image is a little bit too vague, in my opinion, as is shows Samsung's total market share compared to Apple's.

Remember: Samsung sells a majority of Android phones, with a lot of them being cheap phones sold to emerging markets such as China, Russia, etc. where the iPhone isn't available and therefore a lot of the 33% comes from a place where Apple doesn't even sell their items. Part of what Apple is trying to do is to justify this by releasing the 5C which is a more affordable version of the iPhone. I believe a more suitable and fair image would be Apple's iPhone 5 market share vs. the Samsung Galaxy S3's as they're always released in the same countries at similar prices. The battle between both, as shown here, paints a starkly different picture.

Another thing to note: even when taking this into consideration (the above market share pie chart), Apple still remain more profitable than Samsung because, although Samsung sells more than Apple, most of that 33% comes from their cheaper phones, whereas Apple's prices remain premium (the iPhone 4 - the cheapest iPhone - today, the day of the event, is still £319). This means Apple have a higher price per unit than Samsung and this leads to them being more profitable than Samsung in the same market, even with less phones being sold.

That being said. This market is heating up, and the competition is fierce. If Apple stop giving people a reason to buy their phones, then people will do just that. I think targeting emerging markets is a great way to improve their sales and profitability, however the core product must still be attractive enough for people to want to buy it.

That is something Apple does pretty well, to be honest.

Years
I just now realized that I spelled Samsung wrong in the Poll, so go vote again, lol.

I won't be hearing anything until about 12:30, so I'm just sticking to Twitter to see what, if anything, is already out there.

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
Years
Apple said:
A chip with 64-bit architecture. A fingerprint identity sensor. A better, faster camera. And an operating system built specifically for 64-bit. Any one of these features in a smartphone would make it ahead of its time. All of these features in a smartphone make it an iPhone that's definitely ahead of its time.

It also comes with three different colors for the frame, including gold, silver, or gray. iOS 7 will be released on the 18th.

I think the phone will be good. Definitely a step up from the 5. But really the only thing that it has over its competitors is the 64-bit processor IMO.

nimbo

~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jul 16, 2016
I think it's a pretty decent upgrade. If you already have the 5 it won't be too much of a step up, but for someone with the 4/4S (like me!) it's going to be a nice change. I am so excited for it, I am debating whether or not to get the gold or the silver one. Might have to see it in person.

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
All I have to say is ...wow. The 5C, the supposed 'cheap' phone... is $549 off contract and $99 on contract. That's not cheap. Apple just lost the European market... it's 599 Euro. That's almost $800. This is the iPhone 5C, btw, not the 5S...

Echidna

Years
All I have to say is ...wow. The 5C, the supposed 'cheap' phone... is $549 off contract and $99 on contract. That's not cheap. Apple just lost the European market... it's 599 Euro. That's almost $800. This is the iPhone 5C, btw, not the 5S...

Sadly, that's always the case with American electronic companies. Take Microsoft for instance, with its XBox One's $499/€499 pricing and the Kinect bundled in, which most people don't need/want and is only adding to the price so that Microsoft can make more money.

'MERICA

\/

Grey Cat
Years
That isn't unique to Apple, in fact its common every high-value product industry I can think of.
Sadly, that's always the case with American electronic companies
That isn't unique to American companies, lots of things are are cheaper in the US compared to Canada/Europe for many reasons.

Toronto Star said:
Everything from books to hockey pants and cars could be cheaper if Ottawa eliminated many import tariffs or brought them into line with lower U.S. rates, a Senate committee says.

Higher tariffs are one of the key causes of a persistent Canada-U.S. price gap that has infuriated many consumers and led federal Finance Minister Jim Flaherty to call for the senate study.

Canadian consumers have been complaining about the price gap since 2007 when the once lowly Canadian dollar soared above parity with the U.S. greenback.

Goods in Canada were 24 per cent more expensive, on average, in 2007 and still 14 per cent higher last spring, said Doug Porter, deputy chief economist at BMO Capital Markets, who has been informally tracking a basket of goods over the years.

BBC said:
Sony announced the price of its new Playstation 4 console in Los Angeles to rapturous applause. At $399 it is significantly cheaper than Microsoft's Xbox One, priced at $499.

But British gamers have less to cheer about, however. As usual, they will pay much more than their American cousins for the same machines - £349 ($546) for the Playstation and £429 ($671) for the Xbox.

The huge disparity has come to be expected by customers on this side of the Atlantic, but how do the companies explain the difference?

"There are many factors that influence the final price of consumer electronics in different markets," a spokesman for Microsoft says. "This includes, but is not limited to tax, tariff and exchange rates."

Sony attributes much of the disparity to the cost of doing business in the UK. David Wilson, head of PR in the UK, says, "It's cheaper to do business in the US," and adds that operating in lots of small European countries is more logistically challenging than in the US.
(I can't post links yet)

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
What is the point of having a affordable phone when it's about 4x more expensive than a desirable Windows Phone like the Lumia 620 or a Android Phone like the Nexus 4.

The fingerprint sensor on the 5S looks very interesting though, I like fingerprint sensors a lot and I'm surprised it took that long for one to be put on a phone (although they have already happened before, just not on very mainstream phones).

Echidna

Years
That isn't unique to American companies, lots of things are are cheaper in the US compared to Canada/Europe for many reasons.
Yes but what is unique about American companies is that they only care about the money. Seriously.

Back