• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"Anime" Challenge

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
After having played Pokemon Yellow for a number of years, I've found ways of trying to keep myself entertained as I replay Yellow over and over. Nuzlockes, Monotypes and other unique challenges only get me so far. As such I developed the "Anime" challenge where you pick an Animated show that you like(doesn't have to be Japanese anime, just has to be Animated) and take its characters(notably the protagonists) and analyze them. From your analysis, pick the Pokemon that best represents them. Sometimes multiple Pokemon can represent the same character, hence giving even more replayability if you opt to do this challenge again with the same show.

An example of what I mean is the following:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles:

Donatello as Blastoise
Michaelangelo as Samurott
Raphael as Torkoal
Leonardo as Greninja
Splinter as Raticate
Shredder as Bisharp
Rocksteady as Rhyhorn
Leatherhead as Krookodile

and so on and so forth. The more characters you list for your challenge, the more Pokemon you get to capture because while the challenge uses Standard Nuzlocke rules, it has one major difference. Instead of the first encounter rule, you may only capture Pokemon from the list of characters. Once a character is captured, they're crossed off your list and when all characters are exhausted, no more Pokemon may be caught(hence pick your show and characters carefully).

When starting an Anime challenge, you must declare the show and all "participating" characters. If you don't list the characters(and the Pokemon who represent them) at the start of the challenge, they may not be added in later on. Once a character and their corresponding Pokemon have been chosen, that choice is locked once your challenge begins(so think carefully). Challenge starts the moment you acquire PokeBalls or your first character(whichever comes first).

For my inaugural "Anime" challenge, I've opted to do the show Star vs. the Forces of Evil. As such, here are my characters and corresponding Pokemon picks:

Star Butterfly: Butterfree
Marco Diaz: Machoke
Jackie: Venusaur
Tom: Charizard
Pony Head: Rapidash
Queen Butterfly: Lapras
King Butterfly: Primeape
Ferguson: Snorlax
Alfonzo: Farfetch'd

Doing this challenge on Pokemon Yellow hence all my picks are Kanto Pokemon. Star is the main character and a social Butterfly(hence Butterfree). Marco can be a bit of a show-off while being proficient at Martial Arts, hence Machoke fits him to the letter(would do Machamp but I can't trade to Evolve it). Jackie is a delicate and beautiful flower and hence I chose Venusaur to represent her. Tom is a demon with a hot temper. Short of Magmar, who else but Charizard for him. Pony Head and Rapidash... self explanatory no? Queen Butterfly gets the Queen of the seas in Lapras. King Butterfly(aka River) can be a bit wild, hence Primeape. Ferguson is a hefty set character, hence Snorlax while Alfonzo can be a bit inconspicuous and a rare sight within the series(hence a rare bird Pokemon for him).

If you have a favorite show or want something unique with regards to a challenge, feel free to give my challenge a go. I intend to start my challenge sometime tomorrow when I got some time to dedicate to it.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Star vs. Forces of Evil Yellow "Anime" run

For reference to the type of challenge, see here

For those interested in following along, I'm doing a Pokemon Yellow "Anime" Nuzlocke run with a Star vs. the Forces of Evil theme. Unlike standard Nuzlockes, there is no first encounter but rather I'm restricted to catching/acquiring only the Pokemon who represent my cast of characters during this run. As a refresher, here's the cast:

Star Butterfly: Butterfree
Marco Diaz: Machoke
Jackie: Venusaur
Pony Head: Rapidash
Tom: Charizard
King Butterfly: Primeape
Queen Butterfly: Lapras
Ferguson: Snorlax
Alfonzo: Parasect

Welcome to the world of Mewni or rather I would like to welcome you but its a rather dark time right now. Monsters are rampaging throughout the lands and its dangerous to go out alone. When Star Butterfly became old enough, her training to become the next Queen began in earnest. She was informed that she would be undergoing numerous trials, testing both her skill and endurance. Along the way she would be granted the option of recruiting friends and family to help her.

After receiving basic battle training, she mastered her first spell in Dagger Heart Blast(aka Confusion) and was closely watched by her Father as she made her way to her first Trial. Upon entering the Trial Area, King Butterfly began attacking everything in sight, riling Star in the process. While his intentions were in good faith, River realized he was being overprotective and relented. Star would face the rest of the Trial solo.

Out of nowhere, Rock Monsters began attacking her. First they hit her with a hard physical blow sending her skyward while another emitted a screeching sound that could pierce diamond. Suddenly one of them grabbed Star and began squeezing her. Out of desperation, she called upon her recently mastered spell and disposed of the monsters. Having passed her trial, she began her trek to the next area with her Father by her side.

Game Time: 2 hours 3 minutes
Trials/Badges Completed: 1

Current Cast:
Star Butterfly: Level 12 Butterfree
King Butterfly: Level 12 Mankey

Cast Members left to recruit:
Marco
Jackie
Pony Head
Tom
Queen Butterfly
Ferguson
Alfonzo

Dead Members:
None

*Note: I boxed Pikachu after training Star and King Buttefly to a sufficient level*

To be continued....

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Diary of Star Butterfly, Day 26.

I was overjoyed in completing my first trial but the fact I came close to nearly losing my life really left me to think about my friends and especially my family if I was to fail. Although the trek through the mountains towards the second trial area was arduous, both myself and my father grew stronger together. We even ran into remnants of Ludo's gang of monsters who were ransacking the countryside and quickly sent them packing in typical Butterfly fashion. While I've yet to see my mother since she left to determine the cause of the chaos ravaging our beloved kingdom, my father assured me that we would be reunited soon enough.

The second trial area happened to be a big lagoon full of water with a central platform. Out of nowhere monsters from the depths of the deep began defending their sacred home. Through sheer instinct I disposed of several of the monsters through my trusty Dagger Heart spell. Then out of nowhere I got hit with a blast of water that nearly separated me from my wand. Before I hit the ground I cast one of my newest spells in Easy Peasy Time Freezy(Sleep Powder) to buy myself some time. Although I could have defeated the last elemental myself, my Father stepped in and finished it off after witnessing the hit I took. With the trial completed, we made our way to the Butterfly sanctuary north of the trial area to recuperate.

On our way to the sanctuary, my ex-boyfriend Tom made an unexpected appearance. To say I was overjoyed to see him is an understatement but considering he offered to help me was an offer I couldn't refuse under present circumstances. He would require some training though as his skills are vastly inferior to my own. Fortunately, it is rumored that the sanctuary has a training arena from which we can train in relative safety.

Game Time: 4 hours 16 minutes
Trials/Badges Completed: 2

Current Cast:
Star Butterfly: level 21 Butterfree
King Butterfly: level 21 Mankey
Tom: level 10 Charmander

Cast Members left to recruit:
Marco
Jackie
Pony Head
Queen Butterfly
Ferguson
Alfonzo

Dead Members: None

*Note: I trained Pikachu to 20 in the hopes of acquiring Jackie from the trainer in Cerulean. Unfortunately, despite being level 20 and having the Cascade Badge in hand, I'm unable to acquire Jackie at this time. Perhaps later on in the journey or I may have to forego having her on my team. Pikachu has since been re-boxed and a good hour or so was spent training it.*

To be continued...

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Just giving a challenge update(sorry no story as its late and I'll be busy for the next few days).

Game Time: 12:00
Badges/Trials Completed: 4

Cast Members:
Star Butterfly: level 39 Butterfree
Marco Diaz: level 31 Machoke
Jackie: level 35 Ivysaur
Tom: level 33 Charmander
King Butterfly: level 31 Primeape

Boxed:
Ferguson: level 30 Snorlax
PonyHead: level 28 Ponyta

Cast members left to recruit:
Queen Butterfly
Alfonzo

Dead Members: none

*Note: Managed to recruit Jackie after training Pikachu a few more levels. It has since been boxed and for good this time.*

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
Years
I wrote out a lot about this but my phone suddenly reset and my head hurts from all that so I'll edit in some reasons why i chose them later if needed... But I'm doing Hitman Reborn characters in Pokemon Crystal, so here they are:

Tsuna- Arcanine
Gokudera- Persian
Yamamoto- Poliwrath
Mukuro- Noctowl
Chrome- Espeon
Hibari- Pidgeot
Ryohei- Machoke
Lambo- Marowak
Reborn- Ursaring
Basil- Ampharos
Haru- Meganium
Kyoko- Togetic
Ken- Houndoom
Chikusa- Furret

Before I start, I wanna ask: Are we allowed to reset/hunt for a certain gender to match the characters? Or just use the one we got? Cause I just realized I picked like 3 higher m:f ratio Pokemon that are all girls....

Back