• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Foreign Challenge

BugTypeAficionado

Bug types are so hi-technicaaaal!
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Dec 15, 2017
Hello! I'd like to preface this challenge by saying two things. First, you will most likely need some kind of cheating device if you play this challenge on a Gen 5 or earlier game. This challenge revolves around using Pokemon not usually available through normal play, and while the Gen 6-7 games have Wonder Trade, the GTS, and Link Trades available for getting Pokemon, earlier games do not. Not to discourage anyone from running this on earlier entries, but it might be a bit harder to do so.

Secondly, this challenge is not possible on the original Gen 1 Games, AKA Red, Blue, Green, and Yellow, nor the original Gen 2 Games, AKA Gold, Silver, and Crystal. This is rather self-explanatory, but there exist no Pokemon outside of the Kanto region in the Gen 1 games (so unless you intend on running this game by using Strength on the truck next to the S.S. Anne and solo running the game with a Mew, it's not happening), and in Gen 2, every Pokemon that existed at the time could be caught, since the player visits both Kanto and Johto. However, any game from Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, and onward is eligible for this challenge. This also means an Ultimate Challenge would require the Kanto and Johto games to be played in their remake incarnations.

And with that out of the way, let's get this started.

The Foreign Challenge

Rules

1. Your entire team must be comprised of Pokemon not available in the game you are playing. For example, if you're playing Black 2/White 2, you cannot use any Unova Pokemon, nor can you use Pokemon from past generations that can be caught in Unova. Any Pokemon from past generations that cannot be caught or received in Unova are game. I'd search the regional Pokedex for the region you plan on playing as well as checking around to see every Pokemon that is available to you. If it's possible to get it in game, it's not allowed.

UPDATE: Just to clarify, here's a surefire method to test if a Pokemon is eligible. Go to the Bulbapedia page of the Pokemon you wish to use. Scroll to the "Game locations" section of the page, and look at the results for your game of choice. If this Pokemon can be acquired by methods other than Trade, Event, or Pokemon Bank, it cannot be used.

2. Hacked in/Received from Online Pokemon must be reasonable. Lvl 1-10 if received online 1-5 if you're hacking them in yourself, no ridiculous stats or anything. Egg moves are allowed. If you're hacking them in yourself, you can make them shiny if you wish, it doesn't affect anything.

3. HM Slaves are allowed. You can catch a Bidoof or something on your first route to pile on HMs,
you don't need to dedicate a party slot to it. However, keep it in a PC box whenever not in use,
and do not let it battle.

4. Optionally, if you are playing Sun/Moon, you can impose upon yourself a challenge to have each party member be from a different region. If you go for this, your name will be italicized in the Challengers/Champions section to indicate it.
4A. Pokemon that originate from one region and gain an evolution in a new generation will represent the newer generation. So if you have a Swinub, if you evolve it into Mamoswine, it will count as a Gen 4 Pokemon.

If you have any questions or the rules seem a bit unclear, please ask and I will specify as necessary.

Win Conditions

GSC/HGSS: Defeat Red
RSE/ORAS: Defeat Steven/Wallace
DPP: Defeat Cynthia
BWB2W2: Defeat N/Iris
XY: Defeat AZ
SM: Defeat Professor Kukui

Username:
Game:
Team:
Single/Ultimate:

My Team

UPDATE: I restarted my game after submitting this challenge, thinking it had gotten lost, so when it was finally approved, the team I had planned to use was lost. After some long amounts of Wonder Trading, I've gotten a new team for this challenge instead. Hope you understand!

Username: BugTypeAficionado
Game: Moon
Team: Vileplume, Forretress, Altaria, Ambipom, Excadrill, Malamar (All starting at Lvl. 1, base forms)
Single/Ultimate: Single

Challengers

Spoiler:

Champions

Spoiler:

Ultimate Challengers

Spoiler:

Ultimate Champions

Spoiler:

Last edited:

metroid711

Thumbs up~
Years
Yo!
Thing is i noticed Fire red and leaf green is third gen so i can hack pokemon from hoenn and Johto into it.
So is it okay if i do
Username: metroid711
Game: Fire red
Changes: Only pokemon from Johto or Hoenn.

It is very Foreign.

BugTypeAficionado

Bug types are so hi-technicaaaal!
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Dec 15, 2017
Yo!
Thing is i noticed Fire red and leaf green is third gen so i can hack pokemon from hoenn and Johto into it.
So is it okay if i do
Username: metroid711
Game: Fire red
Changes: Only pokemon from Johto or Hoenn.

It is very Foreign.

Yes, it is okay if you use the Gen 3 Remakes for this challenge.

However, if you could, please specify what Pokemon you will be using for this challenge. This is to make 100% sure all Pokemon are eligible before the challenge starts and any plans are ruined. Although they are only available post game, a handful of Gen 2 and 3 Pokemon are available via the Sevii Islands, so those are forbidden from use as well.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Dec 16, 2018
Username: AkiFromFT
Game: Moon
Team: Noivern, Charizard, Omastar, Sceptile, Ampharos, and Zoroark(Will be transferred as the base forms and at lvl 1)
Single
(gonna have to wait a bit for Zoroark and Omastar)

metroid711

Thumbs up~
Years
Yes, it is okay if you use the Gen 3 Remakes for this challenge.

However, if you could, please specify what Pokemon you will be using for this challenge. This is to make 100% sure all Pokemon are eligible before the challenge starts and any plans are ruined. Although they are only available post game, a handful of Gen 2 and 3 Pokemon are available via the Sevii Islands, so those are forbidden from use as well.

Actually i'm gonna pass on this, im doing a sun playthrough and about to start a game on the underground. I forgot about this because it's been awhile since you replied.

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
Years
Just a quick question, what about the online Red randomizer? You can use it to play Red Version but with different generations of Pokemon, including just that generation/s. It's up to Gen 6 and has all the moves and types from then. Would that count at all or is it against the rules since it's still Generation 1?

Years
  • Seen Oct 18, 2023
Can we use sideshow showcase or other hacks for this challenge, such as Theta Emerald EX or the Nameless Fire Red Project Hack? They replace some of the pokemon in Fire Red/Emerald with pokemon from the later generations...

Back