• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Question] Diamond and Pearl OW sprite with HGSS Tileset

pokefan41

RMXP Game Developer
Years
  • Seen Oct 20, 2023
Over the past week I have been trying several different sites to find the hero sprites for HGSS for my new game project. After a lot of headaches, I had come across an alternative, the Diamond and Pearl hero OW sprites. After inputting one sprite sheet into my game, I noticed the sprites seem to not match very well with the HG SS tileset sheet I'm using. What I wish to ask is, is it a bad idea to try to use DP sprites with the HGSS tileset? I am only using the hero tileset for this, and I was going to try to make the HGSS sprite sheet myself, but I keep messing that up too.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2019
Dude, there is no 'right' or 'wrong' way to make a game. If you want to mix tilesets and think it looks good, do it. It'll add some individuality to your game as so many games out there don't even bother and just use the default tilesets to the point where you can't tell any of them apart.

If you think they don't look right, then it's probable that your audience won't think they look right either however, so either don't use those tiles, or open them up in paint and edit them to closer match the style, no one is going to chastise you for editing a default tilesets.

pokefan41

RMXP Game Developer
Years
  • Seen Oct 20, 2023
I think I have gone a bit overboard with my posts lately. And I probably am silently annoying everyone else. Not intentionally though. I am going to try grabbing a spritesheet off the spriters resource site and try to make the hgss protagonists essentials compatible since I can't find them myself.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2019
I think I have gone a bit overboard with my posts lately. And I probably am silently annoying everyone else. Not intentionally though. I am going to try grabbing a spritesheet off the spriters resource site and try to make the hgss protagonists essentials compatible since I can't find them myself.

Why do you feel you're annoying people? I've not seen any of your other posts, so you haven't annoyed me, I'm just offering some general advice that someone gave me, as I see you making the same mistake in this post, regarding "should I do x or y?" that if you keep thinking there are 'rules' to making a pokemon fan game, how they look, how they feel etc. Then

1. Your game is going to look like everyone else's and won't stand out in a crowd
2. The project will become much more of a chore and will not be enjoyable for you to create
3. You won't be making a project for you, and your passion, rather making one to please other people and gain favour.

Don't ever take that as an attack it is just something you may want to consider.

Last edited:

pokefan41

RMXP Game Developer
Years
  • Seen Oct 20, 2023
Right now I don't have anything set in stone yet. I'm still fleshing out my story for the game, which btw is coming out very well. What I may end up doing is scrapping all the hero sprites I have and commissioning someone to help me design an original character since I don't have any artistic skills to speak of.

As for your point on annoyance, I am actually not sure why I said that. Any effort I made to come up with a reason why I made that point leaves me to conclude, if I have to strain to come up with a reason, then there isn't one. No one has said anything negative, I haven't been told I was or am annoying, so I don't know why I said that.

I do appreciate your advice. Thank you for taking the time to reply to my inquiry.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 24, 2018
I use dppt/hgss sprites and tiles. Check deviant art and grab any free use tiles you can and then get a tileset template and make your own. Ik what you mean though hgss has that 3desque model look and dppt still has the sprite look. Wish you the best.

pokefan41

RMXP Game Developer
Years
  • Seen Oct 20, 2023
After carefully going over my story ideas, I've decided none of the main characters will satisfy my idea. I will need to request a custom sprite for my main characters. Unless someone wants to volunteer now, I'm not ready to formally ask for help. Right now I'm just trying to get the story written down. I'm not doing anything else in essentials until after I have written the story out.

Back