• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Mouse or touchpad?

Years
When it comes to laptops, I am honestly fine with using a touchpad. I really do not do any hefty activity that would require beyond a touchpad on my laptop, but for desktops it's definitely a mouse.

EC

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2022
Always a mouse. I have a wireless mouse that has outlived three laptops.

I remember trying to play RCT2 with a touchpad. Horrendous.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jul 16, 2019
For around two weeks I was left without my Magic Mouse and only had my MacBook Pro's trackpad to console me. That was the time I found out what other people meant each time they horned at me about how Apple makes the best trackpad around. Multi-touch gestures makes my interaction with a non-touch screen laptop feel natural and over time my exclusive trackpad usage relieved me of my wrist strains. I think it's the best way to navigate around macOS. I love the trackpad so much I purchased a Magic Trackpad 2 for my iMac at home.

When I used Windows I never thought I'd find the trackpad superior to a mouse. So, very shortly after getting my first MacBook I went straight for a mouse and ignored the trackpad because of my awful experiences with laptop touchpads.

Beginning with the 2015 MBPs they've even added force touch functionality into the then-new non-mechanical?just vibrations which feels like a genuine click?trackpad and it got even better. I can do a deep press on any word and it'll bring up definitions, or deep press on any icon in the dock and it'll show any opened windows but that's only two of the available shortcuts force touch introduced with it. To add to that, in the 2016/17 models the trackpad has gotten bigger which is amazing for people like me who use gestures so much. It's the best partner to apps like BetterTouchTool and JiTouch.

I got myself a new Magic Mouse after those two weeks and couldn't get back into using a mouse. It suddenly felt unnatural to use the mouse when there's overall less movement involved while using the trackpad that's just right under my keyboard and the gestures are a godsend. Maybe if Apple introduces a new Magic Mouse 3 with more gestures and force touch I'll give it another shot, but as it is now my mouse is reserved solely for graphic design work, very minor gaming, and a degree of film editing. For everything outside those, the trackpad is my go-to.

Speaking of film editing, I'm beginning to incorporate my trackpad usage while playing around in Final Cut Pro which is proving to be more precise along with powerful keyboard shortcuts.

Last edited:

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
Years
Mouse vs Touchpad false dichotomy? Clit mouses / "trackpoint stylus" all the way.

Not kidding that much. They are mostly comfortable, and feel easier to operate than a touchpad so long as you have sensible mouse buttons somewhere. It helps a lot when you need precise movement, but they lose in the speed department in my experience.

More realistically, my preference is corded mouse > clit mouse > wireless mouse > 3DS with left thumb using the remote joypad homebrew > touchpad with physical buttons >>>>>>> touchpad without physical buttons. Arceus how I loathe those last ones. it's like you never know if you are pointing to a thing or clicking somewhere, and you have to two-finger them for the context menu which sucks extra.

But what I'm hoping is to get one of those finger-clip 3D mouses that the israeli developed quite some time ago, where you basically just move your hand and you do click via literally clicking your index and thumb together. Dunno how does second button work there, perhaps via pinkie finger. I think they were called owls or something. Never really found good information about them on the web.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Mar 2, 2019
I prefer a mouse because it is much easier for moving the cursor around, lol. :)

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Dec 26, 2017
definitely a mouse. There is no question about the fact that a mouse is uch easier to handle and navigate than a stupid touch pad.

malanaphii

i'm about to monologue, son
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Feb 17, 2023
i definitely prefer a mouse. i have a weird mouse which confuses people (i.e. a trackball mouse w the ball in the middle rather than an optical(?) one), but i don't have a problem w optical ones, i've just always used this one at home. now a touchpad is something i will never use again if i can help it lmao

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
Always preferred mouse UNTIL I got my Macbook 2016 model. The touchpad is amazing and the haptic feedback is gold. I really like using it.

But not for gaming of course. Nope. I recently purchased a super silent mouse for my gaming laptop and my boyfriend's mood in the office room has improved tremendously. I guess the old one was... super clicky.

Years
I was using touchpad exclusively on my laptop for 5 years and used gamepad for that few games I played. But in last months I started using mouse more and more. Yet, I still prefer touchpad.

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 19, 2019
My previous laptop had a touchpad that worked excellently, however my current one is rather shitty. I could do photoshop edits with the previous one while this one seems to respond rather sporadically. Mouse ftw.

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
Years
I favour using the mouse when I'm coding or doing something in Photoshop. The scroll wheel is a godsend <3 Whereas if I'm just casually messing around on the internet, I'll put up with the touch pad.

Years
  • Seen yesterday
Mouse is easier to use for me, I think I just used to it. And I don't know how can I scroll the page with my Touchpad..

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 17, 2018
Though both do the functionality the same way, nothing in specific. Yet, the mousepad is a bit user convenient for clicking..

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
Laptop touchpads are so sensitive these days, even if you tinker with the sensitivity scale. Mouse for me. It has been super easier for me.

Years
Mouse, touchpads burn my finger ;;
Well, the laptop ones do, I don't have issues with touch screen.

FlameChrome

[color=#7fffd4]IDK what to put here[/color]
Years
i gotta go with a mouse, i do use the mousepad every once in awhile, but i usually go for my mouse.

Back