• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

The Notch

Nathan

Blade of Justice
Years
apple made it popular with their iphone x to house their faceid tech and thin out the bezels and now several android makers are also introducing it in their phones to follow the "trend"?
question is, how do you feel about notches in smartphones? do you think they have their uses or just entire dislike them?

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 17, 2024
With screens getting larger and taking up more of a device, it was only time before it happened. And with the Android P preview now out and sporting support for devices that have notches in the upper screen, as well as UI adjustments so that the notch is compensated for, I feel it's going to become a more commonplace thing. It looks kinda ugly, but in the Essential phone, it is extremely minimal with just a very small camera, it doesn't look too bad. It's going to be down to companies and how minimally invasive they make the notch in conjunction with the UI.

Years
What honestly annoys me about the notch is how it's not shown whenever you take screenshots from the devices that do have it.

Exothermic

Keeper of the Hammer
Years
Personally, I don't mind it since most of my smartphones have notches, but I'd prefer a phone without the notch for the same reason Percy mentioned. It simply isn't necessary and has no benefits of it's own.

Last edited:

Nathan

Blade of Justice
Years
With screens getting larger and taking up more of a device, it was only time before it happened. And with the Android P preview now out and sporting support for devices that have notches in the upper screen, as well as UI adjustments so that the notch is compensated for, I feel it's going to become a more commonplace thing. It looks kinda ugly, but in the Essential phone, it is extremely minimal with just a very small camera, it doesn't look too bad. It's going to be down to companies and how minimally invasive they make the notch in conjunction with the UI.

honestly what truly annoys me is the fact that some android makers simply use the notch to copy apple and they're just putting a camera and a couple sensors there. like there's no need for an actual but they just add it anyway. like you said, Essential did it better and also Xiaomi with their upcoming Mi Mix 2S.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
Years
cc5d9ed7c91eeafe70c662eca39aabc532c21e63.jpeg

If this is how notches are gonna be handled in the future, I'm all in for it. But until the smartphone makers get their phones out like this, I'd stick to one with just small bezels (S8, S9 etc) than go for a full-screen phone with a notch.

Notch just gets in the way and is pure ugly, in my opinion.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 17, 2024
<snip image>
If this is how notches are gonna be handled in the future, I'm all in for it. But until the smartphone makers get their phones out like this, I'd stick to one with just small bezels (S8, S9 etc) than go for a full-screen phone with a notch.

Doing it that way makes it incredibly unintrusive. I'd probably go for a notch like that honestly. Having it in the middle seems to be really janky.

Years
cc5d9ed7c91eeafe70c662eca39aabc532c21e63.jpeg

Now that right there makes me want to support notches, and probably how Apple should have done theirs to begin with.

Years
i just think it's super hilarious that manufacturers are doing this with no shame whatsoever. even oneplus is going to start doing this with the oneplus 6 which has me massively disappointed.

instead of offering anything unique, the go-to solution is to just copy whatever apple is doing. sad days.

Years
question is, how do you feel about notches in smartphones?

They all look stupid to me. Especially when I used a demo X in fullscreen.

I much prefer having a home button and bezels because at the end of the day phones like my 6S have plenty of screen, a few extra mm means nothing to me.

Back