• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Long Live the GCC

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 17, 2024
For my .NET development, Visual Studio is preferable unless I have to use otherwise (Such as SharpDevelop for one of my projects, for instance). Otherwise I'll just invoke VS Code and use that for managing things, and have makefiles for building my stuff on the command line. I used to use Notepad++ but after trying VS Code I find it is much more versatile for coding, and it has support for tons of languages, and also runs natively on all OSes I use.

For Arduino though I'll use the Arduino IDE, it allows me to just type, build, and run the code with no fuss. For Java, I have used NetBeans throughout school, but I try not to touch it because Java is gross to me.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Online now
I've been using Sublime Text for a while. I bought a licence so I figured I might as well use it for everything I do. That includes Java stuff that I'm forced to do, as well as my D setup that I'm still working on, which I want to use for freetime stuff.

When working on a terminal I'm decent enough with vim, I suppose.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
Atom on Linux, but if I need to develop for Windows I will use it there too.

Our company projects still target MSVC for Windows, but it doesn't require Visual Studio at all. It's not really just to force the team out of its workflow that is normal for every other platform because of VS's ubiquity.

Digital Waffle

57 61 66 66 6C 65
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Apr 18, 2018
For Arduino I'll just use the default IDE.

For most languages (C / C++ / Rust / Ruby) I usually just use a text editor such as Sublime Text or Atom (although I've dabbled with Vim and Emacs for a while) and gcc via the command line. That said I haven't done particularly large projects in either.

For Python if I'm running on Windows I'll use IDLE, although since mostly use Python for simple scripts I'll usually run it via an online REPL.

Back