• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do you feel about the smaller pokemon teams for the later female companions?

Years
Pokemon they catch ought to matter when the catch phrase that started the Franchise is "Gotta catch em all". If protagonists aren't catching Pokemon, then what is the point? How can you call it Pokemon when they arent even doing the core aspects of what made the Franchise what it is? Unova gets ripped to shreds for a lot of things but you can't criticize it for a lack of captures(even if it was mostly Ash doing it). Heck they highlighted the "lack of Pokemon" in Episode 39 when Mallow's Steenee was snatched by Team Rocket. With no other Pokemon in her arsenal, Mallow was completely helpless. Wouldn't you think that she, as a character, would try to remedy that problem as soon as possible? Same deal if Lana's Popplio(which she lost in Episode 16) or Lillie's Vulpix were taken. What would they do? I suppose Lana has her Lapras that she uses to go Fishing but it's a Rider Pokemon and as for Lillie, she's in the same boat as Mallow. There have been numerous chances for the Female protagonists to catch more Pokemon but these characters haven't bothered and it's an utter disgrace(character goal be damned).

However if you want me to answer your question, at least two characters have been outright neglected or are complete and utter trash: Mallow and Sophocles. Lana and Kiawe aren't much better thanks in large part to owning Z-Rings and crystals but even they're growing stale and boring by the Episode in my eyes. As for Lillie, she had some moments and the Aether arc was decent but frankly was used too soon or not in the manner in which I would have done it(would have based it more like the games with a demented Lusamine). Furthermore, her "Fear arc" isn't over. First it was touching Pokemon and now it's a fear of heights. Really? It's facepalm bad and why Sun and Moon is rightfully getting ripped to shreds for not being Pokemon.

The media franchise moved on from just being about catching lots of cool Pokemon a long time ago. The very fact that B/W had lots of captures and was still by far the lowest point of the anime is just more proof that captures isn't the be-all-and-end-all. Even Ash, the MC, has long since moved on from just catching as many Pokemon as he can. It's unviable from a stroytelling perspective and shallow and boring motivation.

I can't really talk about the S/M anime because i haven't watched it but I think we're straying from the topic really if we get too much into which characters are/aren't good. The topic brought up was the number of Pokemon caught by female protags and the fact remains that catching a lot doesn't make up for a lack of character development or storytelling. It's much more fun to watch a compelling character with a smaller to medium-sized selection (Serena or Dawn for example) than it is to watch a boring character do the same. Misty had a plethora of available mon but she was still boring as a character. She had no real arc or development through her long stay in the series.

Good characters/stories > A million undeveloped mon characters caught by a stagnant deutoragonist.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
I don't really think the amount of Pokemon a female companion has matters, but I did find myself bored by the fact Serena only had a team of three. Then again, Serena didn't get a goal until the literal second half of X/Y, hence why she didn't get many Pokemon, I suppose.

Other than that, the amount of Pokemon the female companions have doesn't really matter...

LadyJirachu

Fluffy and Elegant :3
Years
I like it when girls have teams of 6, even if teams of 3 are easier to put together in my head. A full team means more girl power to me! :P

Oh well, I guess.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 24, 2019
Pokemon they catch ought to matter when the catch phrase that started the Franchise is "Gotta catch em all". If protagonists aren't catching Pokemon, then what is the point? How can you call it Pokemon when they arent even doing the core aspects of what made the Franchise what it is? Unova gets ripped to shreds for a lot of things but you can't criticize it for a lack of captures(even if it was mostly Ash doing it). Heck they highlighted the "lack of Pokemon" in Episode 39 when Mallow's Steenee was snatched by Team Rocket. With no other Pokemon in her arsenal, Mallow was completely helpless. Wouldn't you think that she, as a character, would try to remedy that problem as soon as possible? Same deal if Lana's Popplio(which she lost in Episode 16) or Lillie's Vulpix were taken. What would they do? I suppose Lana has her Lapras that she uses to go Fishing but it's a Rider Pokemon and as for Lillie, she's in the same boat as Mallow. There have been numerous chances for the Female protagonists to catch more Pokemon but these characters haven't bothered and it's an utter disgrace(character goal be damned).

However if you want me to answer your question, at least two characters have been outright neglected or are complete and utter trash: Mallow and Sophocles. Lana and Kiawe aren't much better thanks in large part to owning Z-Rings and crystals but even they're growing stale and boring by the Episode in my eyes. As for Lillie, she had some moments and the Aether arc was decent but frankly was used too soon or not in the manner in which I would have done it(would have based it more like the games with a demented Lusamine). Furthermore, her "Fear arc" isn't over. First it was touching Pokemon and now it's a fear of heights. Really? It's facepalm bad and why Sun and Moon is rightfully getting ripped to shreds for not being Pokemon.

"Gotta catch 'em all" hasn't been used in over a decade. It's not what the series is about.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 24, 2019
They dont have the charm the previous girls had. They dont really travel with Ash, their "goals" are so dull and boring etc.
I hope we get a PROPER ONE main girl again in the next gen.

We have one, Lillie. She's as much of a main girl as any previous one.

Years
"Gotta catch 'em all" hasn't been used in over a decade. It's not what the series is about.

Remember that the slogan was reused starting from 2013, around 10 years after it was first dropped.

Shame that Ash still seems to be the only one showing it, since he's now catching way more Pokemon than all the companions in every saga since BW, though to be fair in BW he did have his largest amount of regional captures since Kanto, even if the slogan itself was reinstated in promo media and advertising a generation later than that.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 24, 2019
Remember that the slogan was reused starting from 2013, around 10 years after it was first dropped.

Shame that Ash still seems to be the only one showing it, since he's now catching way more Pokemon than all the companions in every saga since BW, though to be fair in BW he did have his largest amount of regional captures since Kanto, even if the slogan itself was reinstated in promo media and advertising a generation later than that.

It stated being reused in international marketing, yeah, but it's still not used in Japan, where the series originates.

Years
  • Age 41
  • Seen Nov 2, 2022
There are too many main characters in Alola for everyone to have full teams, but there could have been more for XY Serena. I think they were rushing into the next gen or Zygarde storyline, so they did not give the anime long enough for her to get more. I am also hoping they bring contests back and Serena will have a full roster.

Back