• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Daily Chit-Chat: What even is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
can we seriously talk about weather in this thread? Or is this something Zach is pulling our legs? lmao

Humid with a random thunderstorm or two. It has been like this every day this week here in Houston.

TF, I'd love to see more programming stuff. I've seen lack thereof since this section was born, so if you and Zach were to bring something like that back, I'd totally enjoy it.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
You're kidding me, right? I thought you of all people would know that meteorology is science. :P

No I ask for the sake of the people at the other DCC who hate people that talk about weather.

I just want to talk about weather and not get BS over it. lmao

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
Let's discuss how its 125 in Las Vegas on the afternoons. That's the terrible weather to discuss.

bruuuuuh, I lived through that weather throughout my teenage and early 20 years. I know what that type of heat is like over there. It's unbearable.

Texas heat is freaking insane though. You can't even breathe in it. It's 90 degrees but with the stupid humidity it feels like 110 and it's omfg awful.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
an official WEATHER CHAT finally yes

It's been unusually humid in Sweden as of late. >80%RH at ~27 degrees Celsius. I'm really not used to that, I prefer my air dry haha.

EC

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2022
Three 90 degree days in a row starting today. Might even be too hot to go poolside.

Years
We lucked out and only got one 90 degree day this past warm spell, but it was the warmest day we've had since 2010 (it hit 96 on Saturday). And then severe storms rolled in for every area around me except for my town. The portion of the storms on track to hit my town just completely fizzled out 20 miles away.

Years
Alright y'all, I've fallen behind on Element of the Week already, but I promise a new one is coming up today! :)

Also it is seriously hot as fuck here. 88° (31° C) here at 10:30am. -_-

Years
Okay so to bring life back into this DCC, I want to ask you guys something I've been tossing around in my head for the past week and have been discussing with Zach intermittently.

I'm considering starting a new feature in TL called "Programmer's Mindset" where I discuss the ideas and principles of programming in a way that everyone, even those that don't program, can understand (Such as making analogies and comparisons to things that people can grasp). It'd be a semi-frequent feature, not weekly or monthly, but I would make some posts on it every month, and I'd be the basis for the introduction, and when people discuss them, I can answer questions or even use people's discussions as future topics. Who would be interested in reading/discussing such a thing?
A little late reply, but I definitely think this is something we could look forward to here!

Cersei Lannister

Mad Queen
Years
I'm building a computer for my boss today! That'll be so much fun... but it's been so long >.> I hope I don't forget anything. Any tips?

Edit: pro tip - make sure you buy the right kind of RAM. We had 288 pin and needed 240 pin.

Last edited:

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
Can you afford an i7? A good motherboard? An SSD? Those are highly recommended. But I think it also depends on what your boss really wants in terms of specs. Those are the things I used last time when I was building/upgrading the bank computers when I was working there.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is, what is your budget?

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
I'm building a computer for my boss today! That'll be so much fun... but it's been so long >.> I hope I don't forget anything. Any tips?

Edit: pro tip - make sure you buy the right kind of RAM. We had 288 pin and needed 240 pin.

Can you afford an i7? A good motherboard? An SSD? Those are highly recommended. But I think it also depends on what your boss really wants in terms of specs. Those are the things I used last time when I was building/upgrading the bank computers when I was working there.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is, what is your budget?

Probably also a good idea to ask what the computer will be used for, too. I might even be able to give you a sample build, complete with price if you're in a certain few countries.

Cersei Lannister

Mad Queen
Years
Probably also a good idea to ask what the computer will be used for, too. I might even be able to give you a sample build, complete with price if you're in a certain few countries.

All the pieces are bought and assembled except for the RAM, but thank you.

It has an i7, SSD, and good mobo as well sorry just saw the post above.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
All the pieces are bought and assembled except for the RAM, but thank you.

It has an i7, SSD, and good mobo as well sorry just saw the post above.

Sounds nice! What was the i7 and mobo's exact model, by the way? That way I might be able to say what and how much RAM to get. (you'd be surprised how the latest platforms don't really like the cheapest RAM you can get, performance-wise)

Cersei Lannister

Mad Queen
Years

EC

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2022
Been some cold nights. The pool will never warm up at this rate.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021

DDR3-2400 (higher is better, but make sure it's DDR3) CL11 (lower is better) RAM? Just get something that's good enough and looks great with your system - black or blue heat spreaders and black PCB on the RAM goes well with your current setup. Don't go with bog-standard bare DDR3-1600 CL11 RAM - in addition to being slower than the CPU would have liked it - you want at least DDR3-1866 CL9 or equivalent faster RAM, they also look really ugly. And since faster RAM at 1866 CL9 is really darned cheap, there's no point getting the bare minimum. If DDR3-2400 CL11 RAM is too expensive, try DDR3-2133 CL10 or DDR3-1866 CL9.

Also, you should try to get the RAM in pairs. Kits of 2 should be more than good enough. Is your boss going to game on the system? Then a kit of 2 8GB (16GB) will work, otherwise opt for a kit of 2 4GB (8GB).

Video card?

Also, you probably should also get an aftermarket CPU cooler from the likes of Corsair, Cooler Master, or some other company you'd know. Even if you're not overclocking, the Intel stock cooler won't let your CPU perform at its best, especially during summers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back