• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Daily Chit-Chat: What even is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
How cold? I would have thought that the effects of summer were pretty nationwide at this point.

Could be worse. Earlier this year it was perpetually hot here. Not to mention all the mosquitos buzzing - and biting - around.

Cersei Lannister

Mad Queen
Years
DDR3-2400 (higher is better, but make sure it's DDR3) CL11 (lower is better) RAM? Just get something that's good enough and looks great with your system - black or blue heat spreaders and black PCB on the RAM goes well with your current setup. Don't go with bog-standard bare DDR3-1600 CL11 RAM - in addition to being slower than the CPU would have liked it - you want at least DDR3-1866 CL9 or equivalent faster RAM, they also look really ugly. And since faster RAM at 1866 CL9 is really darned cheap, there's no point getting the bare minimum. If DDR3-2400 CL11 RAM is too expensive, try DDR3-2133 CL10 or DDR3-1866 CL9.

Also, you should try to get the RAM in pairs. Kits of 2 should be more than good enough. Is your boss going to game on the system? Then a kit of 2 8GB (16GB) will work, otherwise opt for a kit of 2 4GB (8GB).

Video card?

Also, you probably should also get an aftermarket CPU cooler from the likes of Corsair, Cooler Master, or some other company you'd know. Even if you're not overclocking, the Intel stock cooler won't let your CPU perform at its best, especially during summers.

I don't have the link for the video card but it was middle of the road. He won't be gaming on it, just running some intensive programs that don't require the strongest video card. He picked out some 16gb RAM that should work fine. Just gotta wait for it to come in.

Cersei Lannister

Mad Queen
Years
So are we here to talk about the weather or the technology of the weather?

Or computers? ;)

The RAM is coming in this week and then I shall install that and put Windows on there woohoo... whenever I have time u_u

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
So are we here to talk about the weather or the technology of the weather?

Or computers? ;)

The RAM is coming in this week and then I shall install that and put Windows on there woohoo... whenever I have time u_u

Wish you luck and everything's good! :) Planning to overclock the CPU?

Cersei Lannister

Mad Queen
Years
So basically just getting the i7-4790K for a higher guaranteed base and turbo speeds compared to the 4790, huh?

Exactly -- I didn't want to plan on overclocking, but have the option to do so at a later time if requested. I doubt he'll request it :P

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Exactly -- I didn't want to plan on overclocking, but have the option to do so at a later time if requested. I doubt he'll request it :P

Mmm.

A word of advice: you might want to get a cheap aftermarket tower CPU cooler like the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO or a lower-end closed-loop liquid CPU cooler like the Corsair H60. Even if you're not overclocking, the piddly Intel stock cooler the CPU comes with won't be able to cool the CPU adequately enough to prevent turbo throttling at all times, especially during hot summers.

It'll also let you overclock once you want to.

Last edited:

Cersei Lannister

Mad Queen
Years
Mmm.

A word of advice: you might want to get a cheap aftermarket tower CPU cooler like the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO or a lower-end closed-loop liquid CPU cooler like the Corsair H60. Even if you're not overclocking, the piddly Intel stock cooler the CPU comes with won't be able to cool the CPU adequately enough to prevent turbo throttling at all times, especially during hot summers.

I know - he didn't want to pick one up at this time, so I didn't. A/C should be able to keep up where he's using it at least.

Sir Codin

I've been holding off too much on my little bio lesson series. I might do more later, but for now i'm just too busy.

killer-curry

Oro.........?
Years
5467015494.png

So, I went to my campus Library and test the network. Superb.

Cersei Lannister

Mad Queen
Years
I love my home internet. I'm at work so I can't post anything, but boy is it fast.

My last test was 101.87 mb/s down, 119.24 mb/s up. FiOS ??

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Something about my current living location makes it really hard to find tech-related jobs, it seems.

So I applied for Nintendo's developer's program here the other day.

And got accepted!

Someday, I might do the same... I'm still working on mine. Good to hear, though.

Sir Codin

So, I went to my campus Library and test the network. Superb.
That feeling when a campus library in Malaysia trumps high end internet at the American University I went to. My parents are hillbillies, so at best we have 4 Mbps download, barely 2 Mbps upload. For $60 per month.

America's internet speeds as a whole are proof that unregulated capitalism and private free-market enterprise is a tremendously terrible idea; private ISP oligarchies and monopolies abound that provide as terrible a service they want because they're often the only ones in the area. It's either expensive terrible service or you get no internet at all.

Years
Where is everyone?! It's awfully quiet around here. :P

Oh, and I've now been moderator here for three years as of today. o.o

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back