• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

S&T Feedback Thread

Years
Let me just step in on this. In my three years acting as the moderator of this section, I have always asked for feedback, whether it'd be from the community staff, or the members themselves. Every time I've asked, one of the top points that comes up is to host more easy-going threads to garner more engagement within the section. I'm only upholding what the members want of the section, and so long as it's within reason of both PC and the section itself, I have no problem with the content that goes about in the section. I should also mention that the threads in the section that are active now are very similar in context to how they were even back before I was a moderator.

Not everything in this section is meant for discussion, either. Sure, there are a lot of "spammy polls" in here, but let them be spammy polls. They are not meant for hardcore discussion at all. Besides, every time I see a more-lengthy discussion topic come up in here, it gets fewer replies than those that are easy to post in.

Finally, let me just say this: times change. Never in my time as a member on PC have I ever seen all the active threads in this section be entirely discussions. Maybe that's how they were several years ago, but those members who upheld the section in that manner have since moved on and new members have come in. It's ultimately up to the members on how a section's content rolls along, and what the current moderator sees fit is good. I'm not trying to ignore your feedback, but I just wanted to let it be known that I have tried to get deep with discussions in here with little-to-no success.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Feb 16, 2020
Let me just step in on this. In my three years acting as the moderator of this section, I have always asked for feedback, whether it'd be from the community staff, or the members themselves. Every time I've asked, one of the top points that comes up is to host more easy-going threads to garner more engagement within the section. I'm only upholding what the members want of the section, and so long as it's within reason of both PC and the section itself, I have no problem with the content that goes about in the section. I should also mention that the threads in the section that are active now are very similar in context to how they were even back before I was a moderator.

That's great! :) But I think "more easy-going threads" is a very different request from meaningless polls. And thanks for bringing up that last point—I'm not as familiar with how things were immediately before you became a moderator so this is always cool to know.

Not everything in this section is meant for discussion, either. Sure, there are a lot of "spammy polls" in here, but let them be spammy polls. They are not meant for hardcore discussion at all. Besides, every time I see a more-lengthy discussion topic come up in here, it gets fewer replies than those that are easy to post in.

100% disagree. IMO spammy polls don't belong here at all. If you don't think that's the case then I guess that's ultimately where this discussion ends. The reason I don't think they belong is because they're very successful at driving away any other kind of thread—I'm very confident that if the kinds of threads seen were a little different, lengthy discussions would end up gathering a much larger number of replies!

Finally, let me just say this: times change. Never in my time as a member on PC have I ever seen all the active threads in this section be entirely discussions. Maybe that's how they were several years ago, but those members who upheld the section in that manner have since moved on and new members have come in. It's ultimately up to the members on how a section's content rolls along, and what the current moderator sees fit is good.

I think the behaviour of mods is a very important example, and this becomes more important in the long term. It may very well be that times have simply 'changed', but that's just as likely to not be true—maybe everybody else is just being driven away because all it takes is one simple glance at this place to see what it's really about.

I'm not trying to ignore your feedback, but I just wanted to let it be known that I have tried to get deep with discussions in here with little-to-no success.

Sure! And hey, it's super nice that you're able to reflect on this and constructively reply to feedback. I'm just stating mine—and I believe there is a way to nurture discussions, it's just much harder than promoting cheap threads, and it takes much longer.

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
Eh, sometimes I see users chat about many tech related stuff on discord... which yeah, I'd love to see them transfer that to this board. I think it's still better to cater to the members who love discussion at length, and the ones who want to unwind and just chat casually. There are positive sides to both, after all - ones that you'd probably wouldn't want to pass up.

Either way though, I think I can definitely say that people should act as examples on being the change you want to see if post quality is an issue; with patience, open mindedness, and dedication also key.

Last edited:
Back