• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Throwback v211001: Kanto, Your Way

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Have you given any thought to importing the tall grass onto Faraway Island? It's very easy to do and doesn't look out of place with the Firered tiles. The way you have it now with the regular patches of grass looks kind of awkward.

Translating the little "chase Mew" mini-game from Emerald to Firered would be even more awesome.
I could change the grass, but the real issue with that is the heart of the matter. The thing about the tall grass there is that it propels the Mew chase to a more interesting level. Changing Mew's behavior to how it is in Emerald requires porting the necessary behavior over. I haven't tried it, but I bet it's not trivial. Then I'd need to increase the number of OW sprites for Mew. I haven't looked into it enough, but that might require repointing and expanding the OW table because of how many there are and how large they are.

Really, the whole thing feels unsatisfying to me, including Faraway Island itself. Kind of like everything else in the Catch 'em All patch currently available for people to download. I'll end up giving the Mew event a major facelift before it's all said and done. It'll be significantly different from how it is now... but chances are it also won't look like it came straight out of Emerald, either.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Aug 26, 2016
Hi RichterSnipes,
First I'd like to start by thanking you for the hack! It's great. I'm having an issue with the Johto starters at trainer tower, though. I got Chikorita for beating Knockout mode first (the readme says it should have been Totodile?), and I don't get any pokemon for beating the other three. Is there a specific time that I have to beat? Is it possible I've run into a bug?

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Bug Fix Version 3.9.1d Available!
Hi RichterSnipes,
First I'd like to start by thanking you for the hack! It's great. I'm having an issue with the Johto starters at trainer tower, though. I got Chikorita for beating Knockout mode first (the readme says it should have been Totodile?), and I don't get any pokemon for beating the other three. Is there a specific time that I have to beat? Is it possible I've run into a bug?
You see, this is why I've been going back to every event that I've done to give them revisions and overhauls. I finished up with this one just a few days ago and just then realized this major issue. The variables I had the game check were getting cleared upon entering a battle! This made it so you'd always be rewarded a Chikorita and nothing else. I was hoping that no one would notice before I had the update ready, but alas.

Thanks for reporting this! I'm keeping true to my word in releasing bug fixes in the interim. I've updated the first post with the fix for FireRed. For anyone who's run into this issue, please complete the latter three modes of Trainer Tower again. You'll be offered the prize Pokémon even if your new time is slower than the previous one.

Changelog:
Spoiler:
Since I'm talking about updates, I'll give a progress report for this part of the hack. I've finished updating events for all Pokémon except Mew, and I haven't touched Celebi yet. The finished events have either gotten reworded text or completely changed altogether. Work is coming along gradually, but I never cease to amaze myself at how much better I feel I'm making this whole project.

Oh, and one more thing:
NO NO ROAMING POKEMON. That means it'll be near impossible to encounter them, let alone get decent natures.
Remember when I said that I (probably) wouldn't be able to get all three roaming? I WAS WRONG.

All three legendary beasts are now obtainable one-time only through roaming. I don't know whether to feel like a genius or a monster. {XD}

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Apr 8, 2024
Thank you for creating an amazing and nice update. And quick question are you going to and a day and night system in the hack? And thanks so much for read this message.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Thank you for creating an amazing and nice update. And quick question are you going to and a day and night system in the hack? And thanks so much for read this message.
You're welcome!

Day and Night don't serve a functional purpose in FR/LG. As to whether I'll put it in or not, it's in the same pile as stuff like the Physical/Special Split, Fairy-type, and Mega Evolutions: They'll never be a mainline part of the hack, but I may choose to add as-is options for them depending on how I'm able to get hack setup options implemented.

If I don't ever end up putting them in in any capacity, remember that there's nothing stopping you from adding it in yourself! :)

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Whoa. How did you end up doing it? Did you have to change the game's code or was it simpler than that?
I found a way to do it through the peasantry of scripting. I did say that I'm not really an ASM hacker, didn't I? :)

Just to be clear, in the big update only up to one of the three will be roaming at any given time. There's a bit of technical info behind it and I haven't divulged all the details on how it'll work in-game. What I can say is that it feels seamless and sensible. I'll share more in-depth details once I get closer to release.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Aug 26, 2016
Thanks for the reply! I tried it out and it worked perfectly. Quick question: How does the RTC feature actually work? That is, where does it pull the time value from? I tried "cheesing" things a little to get both Espeon and Umbreon in rapid succession by changing my system clock between a few different values, but ended up with Umbreon every time.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Thanks for the reply! I tried it out and it worked perfectly. Quick question: How does the RTC feature actually work? That is, where does it pull the time value from? I tried "cheesing" things a little to get both Espeon and Umbreon in rapid succession by changing my system clock between a few different values, but ended up with Umbreon every time.
Do you have RTC enabled in your emulator? It's not always enabled by default.
Maan, i found a little bug, well i think its a bug haha. Whem you go to the Dex entry of Dratini, his size is huge XD
You sure about that? Something tells me you're just surprised by that!

Dratini is 5'11" and 7 lbs, give or take a few oz. depending on the game. Its FireRed Pokédex entry even says as much: "Even the young can exceed 6.5 feet in length."

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Aug 26, 2016
Ah, there's the problem. OpenEmu (I'm using a Mac) automatically enables/disables the RTC based on the cart ID of the game that's being emulated. Using a hex editor to change the ID from BPRE (Fire Red) to AXVE (Ruby) fixed it. Espeon received! Thanks!

Years
Do you have RTC enabled in your emulator? It's not always enabled by default.

You sure about that? Something tells me you're just surprised by that!

Dratini is 5'11" and 7 lbs, give or take a few oz. depending on the game. Its FireRed Pokédex entry even says as much: "Even the young can exceed 6.5 feet in length."

Sorry man, i didn't know they were so big hahahaha. Yeah i am surprised heheh :v

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Thank you everyone for your continued support and interest in Throwback! It really does mean a lot to me.

I'm going to be taking a bit of a break from hacking for now. I only have a few things left to change and update before putting everything together, but they're mostly the big ones. By that, I mean Mew and Celebi. I'm completely stuck with what I want to do with them now, and I'm not getting anywhere just plugging in more time into the hack and hoping for some revelation. I'll get back into it sometime before the end of September. I have a deadline in mind for releasing the big update, and I know I'll be able to meet it even with this break.

I'll still help anyone with support or bug reports if they have any.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen May 24, 2020
Hi again RichterSnipes! It's nice that you're taking a break, since everyone needs one every once in a while! I've been enjoying this hack to the fullest as much as I can (college stuff getting in the way and my GF are the only things stopping me to keep on playing, seriously, it's that good haha).

Also, regarding your last post, may I ask when will the deadline for this major update be? (or is it a secret?:2:) It sounds like it will take you quite some time, so I'm just curious.

Anyhow, thanks again for keeping us up-to-date with your progress! Take care!

Last edited:

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Hi again RichterSnipes! It's nice that you're taking a break, since everyone needs one every once in a while! I've been enjoying this hack to the fullest as much as I can (college stuff getting in the way and my GF are the only things stopping me to keep on playing, seriously, it's that good haha).
Thanks! And I'm sorry for not having anything. TBH I feel bad that people playing through Throwback right now are stuck with (mostly) the same version that's been out for almost two years. This update should have happened a long time ago, and there's a lot of things in the currently-available version that I'm disappointed in now.

Here's what I'm thinking of doing: I could send out pre-release patches via PM for the first three parts of the hack that are listed in the OP (8-bit music, Wardrobe, Catch 'em All). It'd let people who want to live on the bleeding edge play the game with the changes I've made up until a couple of days ago, and I'd be able to get some extra opinions and bug reports on them before it's released. No updates to the Extras part of the patch would be provided, as that's going through tons of changes in its foundation.

Let me know what you guys think, and I'll see what I can do about it!
Also, regarding your last post, may I ask when will the deadline for this major update be? (or is it a secret?:2:) It sounds like it will take you quite some time, so I'm just curious.

Anyhow, thanks again for keeping us up-to-date with your progress! Take care!
The update will be out by November 4. That's two weeks before Pokémon Sun and Moon release.

Years
  • Seen Mar 19, 2022
Hey, longtime lurker, first time poster. I just wanted to give you props on this awesome hack. I see a lot of hacks that try to create essentially new games, which is cool, but I'm personally more interested in hacks that improve and iterate upon the great foundation that is these classic games. I just played through Mt. Moon and the improvements and changes were noticeable and very welcome.

I do have nits to pick and some feature suggestions but since it seems like you're coming out with a big update in the near future, perhaps I should wait to see what you have in store? I'd definitely be interested in any preview or prerelease versions of the patches to give feedback.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Hey, longtime lurker, first time poster. I just wanted to give you props on this awesome hack. I see a lot of hacks that try to create essentially new games, which is cool, but I'm personally more interested in hacks that improve and iterate upon the great foundation that is these classic games. I just played through Mt. Moon and the improvements and changes were noticeable and very welcome.

I do have nits to pick and some feature suggestions but since it seems like you're coming out with a big update in the near future, perhaps I should wait to see what you have in store? I'd definitely be interested in any preview or prerelease versions of the patches to give feedback.
Hey there! I'm exactly the same way. I like trying out more ambitious mods and hacks of games that travel far from what the base game is. At the end of the day, though, I mainly want to play the best version of a released game that stays as faithful as possible to the source material. What's "best" is different for any given person. I hope that I'll be able to allow further user customization with the upcoming update to Throwback so people can have more control in making what they feel is "best."

Go on right ahead with your suggestions! There's bound to be some that I've already got changed, but I'm always open to feedback. There's enough time before my deadline for me to potentially add some more things in.

Years
  • Seen Mar 19, 2022
Awesome! I've got quite a few then. Keep in mind that some of these are pretty pie in the sky. I also don't do ROM Hacking myself, so I don't know how easy or difficult anything is to implement, so I'm just going to suggest everything and left you wade through the stupid ideas:

Things that I think could be implemented a little better

New Threads:
While I definitely dig the classic look, I feel like the sprites themselves can sometimes be a little bit of a mixed bag. For example, on the back sprite of the male trainer, I feel like you should be able to see part of the white area on the front of his cap based on his pose, and you don't.

Classic Music:
This is really a marvel and I have to give you massive kudos for making it work as well as it does. However, the volume of the tracks does make this feature less enticing for me personally. They completely drown out many of the sound effects. I know that you can't just adjust the volume as you said earlier in the thread, but is it possible to make everything else louder to match?

DECAPITALIZATION:
This is overall much appreciated, but I've noticed some inconsistency where menus will share both normal and ALL CAPS options, and I find it offputting.

The little things

"Red whited out" should be "Red blacked out". This seems like some kind of weird censorship thing as the former isn't even a common English expression. It would also be true to the original Red/Blue/Yellow.

Reinstate the creep factor of the old peeping tom outside the Celadon gym. His lines were neutered in FRLG.

Things I'd like to see that I think are potentially within the scope of the project

Note that a lot of my suggestions will be in service of making the game less tedious. Playing the Generation VI games and then going back to the Gen I games, they can often feel like a slog, even with the Gen III updates and the further modernization made by your patch. Some of these may inadvertently make the game easier, but it my opinion they would almost all make it more fun.

Poison:
The implementation of poison in the field feels like a half step, as it did in generation 4. Often if I forget to stock up on antidotes I'll just run around until my Pokemon reaches one HP, then heal it up with potions as a workaround. In the name of modernization, I feel like you should just go all the way and implement Gen V/VI poison, where it only effects Pokemon in battle. While it would take away a little bit of poison's uniqueness as a status condition, it would also make it more difficult to shake: you either need to be prepared with the right items or it will follow you into further battles.

Experience Points:
In Generation VI, when multiple Pokemon participate in a battle, they all receive the full share of experience when that Pokemon is defeated rather than it being divided among them. I personally feel like this is a no-brainer change because it makes it significantly easier to raise weak Pokemon like Magikarp, Abra and Zubat early in the game without the issue of all your Pokemon becoming over-leveled too easily.

It also encourages switching and discourages weird practices like having your better Pokemon whittle an enemy down to low HP and then letting them faint so that your weak Pokemon can claim the kill and get all the experience (seriously, how cruel).

More controversial, but also welcomed by me, would be the updated Exp. Share item, which gives full experience points to your entire party for each felled foe. I like it as an optionally enabled item, because it removes tedium for casual players who want to use it but also preserves the challenge for players who choose to keep it off. It would also work as a tribute to the classic "Exp. All" item, which doled out experience to your entire party (admittedly in much smaller amounts).

HMs:
Can we make these unlearnable? I know this isn't something that's ever been implemented in the series, but god it feels bad to saddle one of your Pokemon with Cut or Flash, or to give up one of your six Pokemon slots for an HM Slave.

I don't see how you could get stuck due to forgetting one, since they are infinitely reteachable, and you can only trade out Pokemon at the Pokemon Center (or more likely never when using a ROM).

An alternative option would be to have a free Move Deleter and forgotten Move Tutor at every Pokemon Center, probably as part of the PC system or through a separate machine. This would preserve Game Freak's reasoning behind keeping the moves unforgettable but not punish players so much for using them.

Pie in the Sky ideas

Some of these I'm pretty sure you've stated are outside the scope of the project but I'd still personally be jazzed to see any of them.

Physical/Special split:
Its kind of weird going back to a game without this and not having moves like "Bite" behave intuitively. Even worse is seeing potentially awesome Pokemon like Kingler and Flareon suffer from no STAB moves that take advantage of their great offenses. I think this would make more Pokemon useable and ultimately make the game more enjoyable. I personally think it's worth breaking compatibility with the other 3rd generation games, since the goal of this project is to create the "definitive" version of the original Pokemon story.

Fairy type:
Pretty much for the sake of modernization, and because Normal-type Clefairy just doesn't feel right anymore.

Updated Base Stats/Movepools/Abilties/Move Properties/Typing/EV yields/Experience yields:
Basically just modernization changes to make the game feel fresh and more consistent to what current Pokemon players are familiar with. I don't know how feasible it is to add new moves to the game (as awesome as it would be), but the others would still be appreciated (seriously Tackle needs that 15 point boost, it would speed up the early portions of the game considerably).

Gen IV+ Evos/Prevos of the classic 251:
Basically to make the game feel more complete. I would hold these for the National Dex of course, just like the Johto Pokemon.

Mega-Evolutions:
I'm sure its been suggested a billion times, but It would be a really fun post Elite-4 thing, and tie well into the Pokemon Origins anime.

Particularly controversial ideas

These are ideas that have never actually been implemented in a Pokemon game, but which I personally think would help make the game less tedious. You may love or hate these, but I just figured I'd put them out there.

Pokemon that faint in battle survive after the battle with 1 HP:
This is something that I've seen in several other RPGs and it would be essentially to cut down on tedium early in the game, where revives are hard to come by. No one likes having to run in and out of Mt. Moon with several fainted Pokemon, wouldn't it be better to be able to Potion up your fainted Pokemon and press on? As controversial as it probably would be, I think this could be a big feature. If Game Freak implemented it, it'd probably become a staple.

Ether & Elixir available in stores:
Another common occurrence in the early game is running to the Pokemon center and back to replenish PP, which can feel tedious. I have some radical ideas for solving the "PP problem", as I've always felt PP was kind of a clumsy mechanic, but for a mod like this, it's probably best to keep things closer to the official games. A more agreeable solution would be making Ether and Elixir available in stores, so you can stock up for a long trip, much like Potions.

Years
  • Seen Mar 19, 2022
Fair enough, I know those aren't the most popular features and they do make the game easier, although the Exp. Share is totally optional.

Also, I thought of another feature that would be fun: an optional Pokemon Yellow patch for those who have fond memories of that version of the game. I imagine having Pikachu follow the player might not be possible but the other features seem pretty straightforward.

I'd also like to see the animations when you use an item on a Pokemon removed. Afaik they're not in any other game in the series and the really just slow things down.

Lastly, the new title screen is cool but even cooler would be a remake of the original Red/Blue title screen that shows Red next to various Pokemon. Not sure how feasible this is but it's something I'd love to see.

Last edited:

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Whoa, now that's a mouthful! I'll try to break this down a bit piece by piece.
Things that I think could be implemented a little better

New Threads:
While I definitely dig the classic look, I feel like the sprites themselves can sometimes be a little bit of a mixed bag. For example, on the back sprite of the male trainer, I feel like you should be able to see part of the white area on the front of his cap based on his pose, and you don't.
I've considered this several times while editing the sprites. The issue here is that the perspective in the backsprites is just odd in general. I do want to be as accurate as possible with them, but that doesn't mean much if the result looks worse because of it. This may be one of those cases where trying to be more accurate in that department may end up with something worse off as a result. I'll certainly give it one more try, though.
Classic Music:
This is really a marvel and I have to give you massive kudos for making it work as well as it does. However, the volume of the tracks does make this feature less enticing for me personally. They completely drown out many of the sound effects. I know that you can't just adjust the volume as you said earlier in the thread, but is it possible to make everything else louder to match?
Unfortunately, that's the reality of what I'm working with here. Adjusting the PCM channels to be quiteter would require completely reworking every single tune in the game and changing traits about them all. Not only would that take a lot of time, it'd also result in something that couldn't be as accurate on a base level. The other option would be to, as you said, make everything else louder. There's not a switch you can just push to suddenly make every sample-based sound become louder. I'd have to edit each and every sample/track in the game using them to be louder individually. First off, that in itself is pretty ridiculous, if you ask me. And second, the vanilla game's loud enough as it is. No need to make it even louder.
DECAPITALIZATION:
This is overall much appreciated, but I've noticed some inconsistency where menus will share both normal and ALL CAPS options, and I find it offputting.
If I may ask, which menus are you talking about? There are menus in the official games that also have a mix of normal and all caps. If there's actual problems with them, I'll see what I can do about any offending menus.
The little things

"Red whited out" should be "Red blacked out". This seems like some kind of weird censorship thing as the former isn't even a common English expression. It would also be true to the original Red/Blue/Yellow.
I've already changed this for the upcoming update.
Reinstate the creep factor of the old peeping tom outside the Celadon gym. His lines were neutered in FRLG.
The old man standing outside the Celadon City Gym in FR/LG is still a creep. Moreso than the original games, actually. He won't even turn around to talk to you! His dialogue and demeanor weren't toned down until HG/SS.
Things I'd like to see that I think are potentially within the scope of the project

Note that a lot of my suggestions will be in service of making the game less tedious. Playing the Generation VI games and then going back to the Gen I games, they can often feel like a slog, even with the Gen III updates and the further modernization made by your patch. Some of these may inadvertently make the game easier, but it my opinion they would almost all make it more fun.

Poison:
The implementation of poison in the field feels like a half step, as it did in generation 4. Often if I forget to stock up on antidotes I'll just run around until my Pokemon reaches one HP, then heal it up with potions as a workaround. In the name of modernization, I feel like you should just go all the way and implement Gen V/VI poison, where it only effects Pokemon in battle. While it would take away a little bit of poison's uniqueness as a status condition, it would also make it more difficult to shake: you either need to be prepared with the right items or it will follow you into further battles.
I've implemented this for the upcoming update.
Experience Points:
In Generation VI, when multiple Pokemon participate in a battle, they all receive the full share of experience when that Pokemon is defeated rather than it being divided among them. I personally feel like this is a no-brainer change because it makes it significantly easier to raise weak Pokemon like Magikarp, Abra and Zubat early in the game without the issue of all your Pokemon becoming over-leveled too easily.

It also encourages switching and discourages weird practices like having your better Pokemon whittle an enemy down to low HP and then letting them faint so that your weak Pokemon can claim the kill and get all the experience (seriously, how cruel).

More controversial, but also welcomed by me, would be the updated Exp. Share item, which gives full experience points to your entire party for each felled foe. I like it as an optionally enabled item, because it removes tedium for casual players who want to use it but also preserves the challenge for players who choose to keep it off. It would also work as a tribute to the classic "Exp. All" item, which doled out experience to your entire party (admittedly in much smaller amounts).
As far as Exp. Share goes, I agree with CrabInfestedPubes. No need to make the games even easier than they already are. Honestly, from what I've heard with the new games, it really seems like enabling it just breaks them. Not to mention that it'd take some pretty hefty ASM work to code that functionality into the game. I'm incapable of doing that myself.

The updated participation Exp. distribution behavior is a bit different, though. It seems like you'd be able to change that if you know where to find the calculated formula for it in the ROM. I don't know where that is, though, and I'm unsure off the top of my head if anyone does. It's not quite as game-breaking, and it makes sense from a general RPG perspective. If I can figure out a way to do it, I may consider it. No promises on it, though.
HMs:
Can we make these unlearnable? I know this isn't something that's ever been implemented in the series, but god it feels bad to saddle one of your Pokemon with Cut or Flash, or to give up one of your six Pokemon slots for an HM Slave.

I don't see how you could get stuck due to forgetting one, since they are infinitely reteachable, and you can only trade out Pokemon at the Pokemon Center (or more likely never when using a ROM).

An alternative option would be to have a free Move Deleter and forgotten Move Tutor at every Pokemon Center, probably as part of the PC system or through a separate machine. This would preserve Game Freak's reasoning behind keeping the moves unforgettable but not punish players so much for using them.
You can get stuck if you release all of your Pokémon that can learn Fly or Swim while you're at Cinnabar Island, keep releasing Pokémon until you only have one left, then finish all Pokémon battles there, then run out of money and items so you can't afford any Poké Balls. Then again, that'd require you to deliberately screw yourself over. Plus it wouldn't matter whether or not you could make your Pokémon forget HM moves.

I don't know how I feel about this one, simply because no games in the series do this. Maybe? Again, no promises.
Pie in the Sky ideas

Some of these I'm pretty sure you've stated are outside the scope of the project but I'd still personally be jazzed to see any of them.

[list of Pie in the Sky ideas]
You're right in saying that I've directly stated that some of these are outside the scope of the hack. However, I've made it implicitly clear that all of these are outside the scope of it. Breaking compatibility with the official games isn't in my intentions, but there's a bigger reason, too.

You say that you like playing updated/improved versions of games. I do too. However, you reach a point where certain changes begin to transform a game into something else entirely. In Pokémon games, the keystone element of them is their battle systems. Each generation has a specific battle system that signifies what Game Freak felt was acceptable for a given period of time. They serve as milestones in the series' development as a whole. That needs to be acknowledged and accepted. If you go about changing the rules, you begin destroying what that game was and turn it into something else entirely. You'll essentially be making it a Frankenstein's monster of Pokémon games.

I understand why you feel that way, though. Here's another example. One of the most influential releases in modern-era videogaming is Grand Theft Auto III. That game single-handedly changed what open sandbox and action gaming was like. It was an incredible game for its time, and it's an important piece in the medium's history. However, going back to it nowadays is difficult, especially so if you've played any amount of Grand Theft Auto V like so many other people have. The mechanics in GTA III have been surpassed far and wide in later games. It makes that game look antiquated in comparison.

Regardless of how you may feel a game has aged, though, you have to take it for what it is. It's a game of a particular period in time, and it represents where gaming was at that point in time. Changes and updates in how that kind of game behaves won't retroactively make the old games less complete in comparison. It just shows how far the series or genre has come.

The idealist part of me kind of took offense to your comment about how adding things like this would "make the game feel more complete." I know what you mean, though. If you go so far as to adopt every new addition to the games as necessary, it makes playing the older games more rough. I think the best thing to do is to remove that feeling from your mind when replaying the older titles. Take them for what they are and don't fret about what they aren't. I'm fine with Pokémon hacks that make something new including these features. If they're trying to remain faithful to their given generation, though, changing any part of the battle mechanics betrays what they actually are.

I've stated that I may find a way to add as-is options for battle mechanics changes in the future if I find a good way of doing it. Although I still stand by this, I've decided that there are some things that I still feel go too far. This is a list of things that I will never add to Throwback under any circumstance:
  • New Pokémon
  • New moves
  • Mega Evolutions
Particularly controversial ideas

These are ideas that have never actually been implemented in a Pokemon game, but which I personally think would help make the game less tedious. You may love or hate these, but I just figured I'd put them out there.

Pokemon that faint in battle survive after the battle with 1 HP:
This is something that I've seen in several other RPGs and it would be essentially to cut down on tedium early in the game, where revives are hard to come by. No one likes having to run in and out of Mt. Moon with several fainted Pokemon, wouldn't it be better to be able to Potion up your fainted Pokemon and press on? As controversial as it probably would be, I think this could be a big feature. If Game Freak implemented it, it'd probably become a staple.
What if Game Freak actually implemented this for Sun and Moon? You'd be feeling pretty great about yourself then, wouldn't you? :)

I actually wouldn't quite rule this one out. The problem lies with figuring out how to implement it.
Ether & Elixir available in stores:
Another common occurrence in the early game is running to the Pokemon center and back to replenish PP, which can feel tedious. I have some radical ideas for solving the "PP problem", as I've always felt PP was kind of a clumsy mechanic, but for a mod like this, it's probably best to keep things closer to the official games. A more agreeable solution would be making Ether and Elixir available in stores, so you can stock up for a long trip, much like Potions.
I don't disagree with you, but I can't help but feel that doing this would be considered blasphemous for some reason. That's got to be the only reason that Game Freak insists on not making them purchasable... right?
Also, I thought of another feature that would be fun: an optional Pokemon Yellow patch for those who have fond memories of that version of the game. I imagine having Pikachu follow the player might not be possible but the other features seem pretty straightforward.
Implementing Pikachu's Beach is in no way straightforward. At all.

Beyond that, though, the fact that there's no way to have Pikachu follow you makes the whole idea of that kind of hack extension pointless to me.
I'd also like to see the animations when you use an item on a Pokemon removed. Afaik they're not in any other game in the series and the really just slow things down.
The animation is there to help you gauge how much your Pokémon likes you. The closer it comes in to you when using an item, the more it likes you.

That said, I know there's other ways of finding that out. I won't rule it out entirely, but it's real low on my priority list.
Lastly, the new title screen is cool but even cooler would be a remake of the original Red/Blue title screen that shows Red next to various Pokemon. Not sure how feasible this is but it's something I'd love to see.
I'd love to put that in the hack. Unfortunately, I don't think anyone has the hacking skills to do that. It's a pipe dream, for all intents and purposes.

Hope you didn't mind my equally-long response your own response!

Back