• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Smash 4/7/2013 + April CoroCoro: Mewtwo's New Form!

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
But yet, you never really know. Yes, it could very well possibly be a legendary, but in my mind, I just kind of think it's one of those background legendaries with some sort of story behind them, kind of like the Musketeer trio, if anything.
Yeah but they're still legendaries, certainly.
I still think that this "new" pokemon is a Mewtwo forme... it's called Mewtwo's awakening so perhaps this is Mewtwo's "Perfect forme" having awaken it's true power and having gained full control over them, no longer needing to seclude itself inside a cave.
Oh I hope not though. :( Mewtwo's story was all about finding himself and a working philosophy, not about finding and tapping into his true power or anything. It'd kind of go against what we saw of him last time, when he was using his power only to protect those close to him and wasn't very fond of it.

Years
  • Age 29
  • NJ
  • Seen Nov 29, 2013
When I first saw this new mewtwo I was surprised. I didn't like it initially and this was the last thing I would expect pokemon to announce today, but the more I looked at it and compared it to the other modern legendaries that I am not so fond of *cough*Kami Trio*cough* I realized I really do like its design. It is much more clean and not full of clutter like White/Black Kyurem and many of the other legendaries who's designs I don't like. Also the fact that pokemon is returning a great legendary pokemon from the first generation to the spotlight is exciting and should be awesome for the younger generation (And South Korea who never recieved first gen) to experience! Of course they couldn't just toss Mewtwo into a new game and expect everyone to be ok with it, they needed this new pokemon to carry him into the new gen. Also I know I personally have been waiting for a mewthree for as long as I can remember and I'm happy with how he turned out! He looks unmistakably similar to mewtwo, strong, sleek, and definitely what an upgrade of mewtwo should look like.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Well perhaps his need to protect his friends awakens this new forme, or causes it to actually be able to mutate it's genes by will (biokinesis), becoming a new Pokemon to gain a new power to due so.

Mujahid

Sir Froakie is impressed.
Years
Who else is with me that this is WAY better than we all initially thought. The body design gives it such a retro look.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Years
It looks cool in a vacuum. I'm more exited about all the Pokemon being beaten up in the video. All Classic Pokemon right? And they all look awesome! That is something to be excited about.

I have no interest in Legendaries, let them do whatever gimmicky crap they want, as long as the regular Pokemon aren't guilty of the same shenanigans.

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
Years
I am not happy about this design at all. Shouldn't a Mew related Pokemon look somewhat like a cat?

I'm going to just take a wild guess and say that a scientist was apart of both Team Rocket and Team Plasma's science departments. Said scientist probably also got a hold of one of the supposedly failed Mewtwo attempts, so what we're seeing here and in the movie is actually a completely separate Mewtwo.

Aeon.

Carrion
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 22, 2016
It looks as if it could be Mewthree or something. I dunno, it just looks too... different to be a new forme of some sort.

JP

wut?
Years
  • Age 33
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 13, 2019
mmm....I don't think this would be a legendary Pokemon by any means...though I could be wrong. Maybe it's a psuedo-legend of some sort? I don't imagine it playing any significant role in the story...
The fact that it's related to Mewtwo alone makes it a legendary and not some pseudo-legend. Also having it appear in a pre-Gen 6 movie is a rather big deal and the past few games have surely taken cues from the anime as oppose to the anime taking cues from the games. After all, Mew and Mewtwo never had huge story value in the original games either, it wasn't until they were introduced outside the games that they became as important as they are now. Sure, it may not have an important role in the main story of the game, but who's to say it won't have an important post-story role?

What would seem so strange is introducing a new forme to a first generation Pokemon after all these years, and to a very popular Legendary nonetheless. It's just hard to understand why they would do that, apart from some sort of fan-service. Granted, generation 6 = new generation, new 'rules' I suppose.

There's also this image that I saw recently, http://i.imgur.com/hTkpnqt.jpg which shows Genesect and it's four different 'formes' with the different tapes, then Mewtwo next to it with two separate hexagon shapes beneath him, definitely hinting at something. Perhaps hinting two formes? Or is it perhaps for Mew and this new Mew-Pokemon? I love Mewtwo, so all this speculation and new found attention to him definitely has me excited. I'm much more interested in the idea of a third Mew-Pokemon than a new forme, and I won't lie when I say that I'd be a tad bit disappointed if it ended up being a new forme, but the renewed interest in Mewtwo that GameFreak is giving is almost as equally interesting and awesome.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
The fact that it's related to Mewtwo alone makes it a legendary and not some pseudo-legend.

It is probably a legendary....but it could end up being a questionable legendary.

Phione doesn't really fit the legendary pokemon mold. We could be looking at another anomaly.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I think it became official now...

Yeah it is official. :3 Anything released on Smash is official! Unless you mean if it's a new Pokemon or an evolution or not yet which definitely isn't official. :(

JP

wut?
Years
  • Age 33
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 13, 2019
It is probably a legendary....but it could end up being a questionable legendary.

Phione doesn't really fit the legendary pokemon mold. We could be looking at another anomaly.

Very true, though I feel that's a role better fit to the 'cute' Pokemon types. Although, this type of reveal usually ties into that 'special' Pokemon, such as Lucario and Zoroark in the past. Who knows, maybe this is some sort of Mewtwo spin-off who's not as rare and possibly not as strong but has ties to the Mew's, similar concept to Phione and Manaphy I suppose.

Sadly though, the more I think about it the more I'm thinking that we're all just overthinking this (as most of the Pokemon fanbase does lol) and this is simply a new forme. ( :( )

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
...why must October be so far away?
:( I want my Mewthree now, the in-game footage was mindblowing...
Would you like to borrow my DeLorean? At your own risk, however...

The official site makes it sound like it will have some story behind it, calling it the continuation of the Legend of Mewtwo...we're suppose to uncover some secret behind it I think. Whether it's post game or pre is up in the air.
Well, it's definitely the original Mewtwo coming to Ash's aid in the movie, and we can only assume (for obvious reasons) that it's the same Mewtwo that has somehow found its way to Unova. The tail isn't converted to a form of hair like the new version of Mewtwo (as I'll call it for now). Ash immediately recognizes it, as well, as his memory of it wasn't erased in Mewtwo Returns like it was in the first movie, while Cilan seems to have an expression of, "You know him?".

Thus, yes...many years later, we're finally continuing Mewtwo's story, and I'm sure something happens in this movie that causes the legendary to appear in Gen. VI in all forms (meaning we're possibly finally getting another Mew after all these years, and maybe catchable, and maybe even possible Shiny?).

Cyclone

Kirozane

Frolic and fun~
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 12, 2023
All, the information on Pokemon.com is labeling this as a new Pokemon, not a Mewtwo form
so you have seen a new Pokemon.

This isn't the first time Game Freak has called a new form of an older pokemon a new pokemon. It could still just be a mewtwo form. I mean, what reason would Nintendo have to make a mewthree.... Besides, isn't the tail end of the new movie "Mewtwo's Awakening"? He wasn't dormant all that time. He was just underground like the hipster he is. The only way it could be a new pokemon would be if Mewtwo were to evolve.... And that'd just be kinda odd, no? So don't count out it being a new form just yet. It could still be just that, with Game Freak tryin to get us off the trail.

darkpokeball

Beware the Chainsaw Meowth 0.o
Years
This isn't the first time Game Freak has called a new form of an older pokemon a new pokemon. It could still just be a mewtwo form. I mean, what reason would Nintendo have to make a mewthree.... Besides, isn't the tail end of the new movie "Mewtwo's Awakening"? He wasn't dormant all that time. He was just underground like the hipster he is. The only way it could be a new pokemon would be if Mewtwo were to evolve.... And that'd just be kinda odd, no? So don't count out it being a new form just yet. It could still be just that, with Game Freak tryin to get us off the trail.
When did GF call a forme a new pokemon? Have I just been out of it?
Mewthree better not be a forme...I'm excited for an entirely new pokemon, not just some enhancement to an old one.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
When did GF call a forme a new pokemon? Have I just been out of it?
Mewthree better not be a forme...I'm excited for an entirely new pokemon, not just some enhancement to an old one.

When Black Kyurem and White Kyurem were released on Smash and Coro Coro they were referred to as New Pokemon. Even the two main sites called them New Pokemon that Kyurem could transform into.

Back