• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Toughest Gym Battle

Years
What was your toughest gym battle in DPP or HGSS? Which gym just gave you more trouble than the others?

I struggled with a couple of them. I remember trying to basically win Platinum with Infernape and struggling with Crasher Wake. Cynthia was also pretty tough as a champion.

It may have just been me, but I found HGSS to be some of the toughest games. Whitney was always annoying, Morty gave me a little trouble on a couple playthroughs, then there was always the Kanto gyms which could be difficult to me.

Then again, I might just suck. xD

Years
I found the Crasher Wake gym battle to be a rather tough battle back in the day
Since his Gyarados pretty much knocked two of my pokemon out and after i got lucky and knocked it out He sent out his
Floatzel which proceeded to wipe my entire them out

This was during the time i only decided to train one of my pokemon in my team

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
Bugsy. By far the toughest Johto gym leader - whereas Falkner can be combatted by levelling up all your pokémon or trading for that Onix, I find Bugsy challenging even if I use Cyndaquil due to just how powerful Scyther is.

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
I think Candice in Platinum was kinda the toughest for me to beat? Not because she was strong mind you, but rather she had kind of a good strategy, taking advantage of her Abomasnow's Hail Warning with her Froslass's Snow Cloak ability, and having Double Team to boot. The Evasiveness was annoying... but that was the only reason she took longer to beat.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 8, 2024
Fantina and her Mismagius. Need I say more? If you went in with no strategy what-so-ever, you could come out on top, but it would be very difficult to do so.

Years
I'd say Fantina in Platinum especially. That Mismagius is way too OP to have at such an early stage of the game and it doesn't help that you have literally no options for Dark-types available to you by that point. Oh, did I mention it also has Shadow Ball?

Crasher Wake is an honourable mention with his strong Floatzel, which will pretty much outspeed anything on your team and has Ice Fang to cover Grass-types. Also as Shawn said, Candice is nothing but an evasion noob with that Froslass. Double Team + Snow Cloak combo is nothing but there to make you mad.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Online now
I did a Rock monotype once on Platinum

You can guess which gyms were fun to do

Years
Fantina and Whitney are always really tough for me, Claire usually gives me a bit of trouble but just for the amount of times I've lost to her, I think Whitney is the toughest.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 8, 2024
Don't know how I forgot Whitney, although I don't think she was as much of a problem as she was in Generation 2 for the simple fact that I knew what to expect from her. So I went in with a strategy just her.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 21, 2024
Ugh! Whiney and Milktank, you can't stop the cow from rolling you around I mean literally Milk Drink + Attract and Roll out combo is utterly difficult to dealt with.

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
Years
Since I have a rough time training on Gen 5 and earlier, any battles in Sinnoh felt difficult, especially the League and later Gym Leaders. But HGSS was such a pain every time, I can easily beat GSC multiple times in a row, but HGSS seems even worse for any kind of training somehow. In GSC I got to the point where even Whitney and Morty werent threats, but in HGSS its hard to beat any of them... Chuck is especially hard for some reason though, with or without type advantages.

blue

gucci
Years
Gardenia was quite tough, but maybe that's because I chose Piplup and due to the lack of Fire-types available in Sinnoh. It wasn't so bad in Diamond & Pearl but in Platinum she has a Roserade, and that early on it can do some major damage!

Years
Gardenia was quite tough, but maybe that's because I chose Piplup and due to the lack of Fire-types available in Sinnoh. It wasn't so bad in Diamond & Pearl but in Platinum she has a Roserade, and that early on it can do some major damage!

She actually had Roserade in D/P as well as Platinum. In fact, the only team difference she even had was Cherubi in D/P which was replaced by a Cherrim in Platinum.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Nov 1, 2023
Definitely Fantina and Crasher Wake( honorable mentions to Gardenia), but mostly Fantina.

Fantina is hard because she is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy too overpowered in D/P. All of her Pokemon were fully evolved and high leveled for the time. Her Driflblim was stupidly annoying with minimize ( seriously, in the slowest gen, this really is crap), Ominous Wind seems to get me every time with it's boost and Astonish adds insult to injury.

Gengar is a pain too. Spite and Confuse Ray seem to love being the bane of my existence.

Lastly, Mismagius. OMG, I chose Monferno for this game and I felt the full force here. Who's bright idea was to make her LEVEL 36!! FOR THE 3rd GYM? !!! WTF?!! This is unfairly cruel. I get challenge, but this is just awful. I usually end up between level 25-30 when fighting her so I'm always screwed.

Edit: Fantina is 5th in D/P my bad. Still doesn't change how difficult she is though.

Psybeam always confused me no matter what. Magical leaf killed my remaining Pokemon as it never misses, and of course, there is another Pokemon with Confuse Ray, so when I switch out I get confused again and bodied by Psybeam or Magical Leaf. So glad they nerfed her in the remake. She desperately needed it.

Last edited:

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
Years
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

This may be one of those Gym Battles where it depends on your starter. I started with Turtwig who by the time I got to Fantina knew Bite (Or maybe Crunch I can't remember) and with Ghosts weakness to dark attacks... Admittedly Drifblim is faster than you'd expect it to be though.

In my last Pearl run I was doing a Pearl run I did a Grass Monotype. The hardest leader for me was Gardenia whose Roserade gave me problems. At the time I only had a Grotle and Budew on my team. Once he evolved into Torterra though he got Earthquake which made Maylene's Lucario much easier and I had no issues with any of the remaining Gyms.

In HGSS the hardest leader for me was Morty and his Ghost/Poison Types. I was doing a Grass Monotype once again...if only I trained my Weepinbell up enough to know Knock Off.

Years
Fantina is hard because she is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy too overpowered in D/P. Her being the third gym leader was an awful idea. She needed to be at least forth or fifth. All of her Pokemon were fully evolved and high leveled for the time.

Fantina is only the third Gym in Platinum, she was fifth Gym in D/P. Also she had Drifblim in D/P only, replacing it with Haunter and Duskull in Platinum. But yes, her Mismagius had a wide coverage moveset and Shadow Ball, which is way too powerful for that stage of the game.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Nov 1, 2023
Fantina is only the third Gym in Platinum, she was fifth Gym in D/P. Also she had Drifblim in D/P only, replacing it with Haunter and Duskull in Platinum. But yes, her Mismagius had a wide coverage moveset and Shadow Ball, which is way too powerful for that stage of the game.

EDIT: Correction, I meant to switch that. Will do. Still does not change the fact she was incredibly tough to beat as a kid. It's not as bad now, but still difficult enough with the stupid Mismagius.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 15, 2022
I just replayed Platinum a couple of months ago and Crasher Wake and Fantina were more difficult than I had remembered them to be.

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Apr 4, 2017
My toughest gym battle is definitely Morty, especially because I had very few non-Normal and Fighting moves, maybe only having three or four.
I didn't have Odor Sleuth.
Bugsy was a little irritating, as his Metapod had Tackle, which fooled me.

Back