• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Emboar

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Our lovely fire starter final evolution. :) What do you guys think of Emboar? Think it is as bad as people say? Or do you love the design? Discuss!

Years
I really apologize to anyone who's an Emboar fan, but it's really one of the worst Fire types out there to me. I'm the kind of person that likes to give Pokemon a second chance to see whether or not I truly like them or not but... I can't bring myself to do that with Emboar. It just doesn't click with me for whatever reason.

I also think my dislike for Emboar stems towards its concept more than anything else which is an interesting but... still, odd route for Game Freak to take for a Fire/Fighting type.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I've always loved Emboar as a concept. It's cool, it is strong, can learn a BUNCH of moves for coverage - electric, water, fire, fighting, grass, plus HP as well...

But it's just not pretty. It looks cool... but not pretty... and it is kinda slow. It is expected yeah but I would have hoped that it would have been more bulky to make up for that slow-ness. Still as far as fire types go, coverage is awesome.

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
Embroar is pretty interesting! Though idk if it needed to be part fighting... maybe on one hand it covers a fire-type's rock weakness, but still. Its pretty strong in-game and its pretty useful for a fire type overall in bw cause iirc, there's not much fire pokemon to choose from.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
I picked Tepig and I'm looking forward to its final evo~

I always liked Fire/fighting types, even though they became oversaturated after gen 5... And Emboar's design is really good imo.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jul 3, 2018
I know lots of people hated Emboar for being the third Fire/Fighting starter in a row, but I actually really like him, and he's my favorite of the Unova starters, if only because he's the only dual type. I actually think that Pignite is pretty useful in the early game of B/W, due to his type advantage against Lenora, so I frequently find myself using him. My only real issue with him was the fact that he seemed really bland and underutilized compared to Blaziken and Infernape. I mean, having Arm Thrust as his only level-up Fighting STAB was just ridiculous. But I like him nonetheless.

Last edited:

Star Arcana

Hope springs eternal
Years
Eh, not a huge Emboar fan, to be honest. When Tepig's design was revealed, I had high hopes for the line, but these were quickly dashed. I don't remember exactly what I had in mind, but it certainly wasn't a pig wearing a jump suit (Pignite) and a third fire/fighting type in a row.

My bf's a fan though, and I don't think Emboar's trash or anything; it just fell way short of what I felt Tepig's final evo could have been (both design and type wise).

That being said, I do like its name.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I know lots of people hated Emboar for being the third Fire/Fighting starter in a row, but I actually really like him, and he's my favorite of the Unova starters, if only because he's the only dual type. I actually think that Pignite is pretty useful in the early game of B/W, due to his type advantage against Lenora, so I frequently find myself using him. My only real issue with him was the fact that he seemed really bland and underutilized compared to Blaziken and Infernape. I mean, having Arm Thrust as his only level-up Fighting STAB was just ridiculous. But I like him nonetheless.
I agree with being easy early on. Emboar really did make battling Lenora easy... and given how many complaints the battle got for being hard I would say it was worth it. Certainly easier than using Serperior haha.

Back