The PokéCommunity Forums Fan Games ROM Hacking
[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

ROM Hacking Need a helping hand? You can get help on any ROM Hacking-related problems or questions you have here.

Closed Thread

Old March 18th, 2013 (3:27 PM).
Wants a Magneton for a Charger

Nature: Lax
    I've been looking everywhere, but I don't see any specific guidance so I wanted to settle it once and for all. What exactly is the lowest flag number you can use assuming I'm using the Hacked engine by JPAN?

Relevant Advertising!

Old March 18th, 2013 (3:55 PM).
    What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by kj3400 View Post
      I've been looking everywhere, but I don't see any specific guidance so I wanted to settle it once and for all. What exactly is the lowest flag number you can use assuming I'm using the Hacked engine by JPAN?
      With the hacked engine: 28. On DavidJCobbs list, anything that says "Used for cut tree in ___" or "Used for rock smash bolder in ____" (or the like) is temporary, and can't be used, even if you have nothing there.

Flags that pertain to story events are good though, those you can use.

Paired with Simba
      Old March 19th, 2013 (4:49 PM).
      Pokemon DarkJasper!?

Nature: Calm
        I've run into a problem with Walking Scripts on JPAN's hacked engine. As long as a Walking Script is functioning, repel will never wear off. Presumably, this is because (according to JPAN's guide) the Walking Script code blocks low-leveled walking events from occurring. This problem also prevents wild encounters, but JPAN got around it by making a couple of specials that call the random water/grass battle generators from the Walking Script to make it work.

So my question is, is there any way I can call the repel check (or whatever it is) from my walking script? It seems possible in some way or another, but does anybody have any idea about how to do it?
        Old March 19th, 2013 (4:59 PM).

Quote:
          Originally Posted by shinyabsol1 View Post
          I've run into a problem with Walking Scripts on JPAN's hacked engine. As long as a Walking Script is functioning, repel will never wear off. Presumably, this is because (according to JPAN's guide) the Walking Script code blocks low-leveled walking events from occurring. This problem also prevents wild encounters, but JPAN got around it by making a couple of specials that call the random water/grass battle generators from the Walking Script to make it work.

So my question is, is there any way I can call the repel check (or whatever it is) from my walking script? It seems possible in some way or another, but does anybody have any idea about how to do it?
          My thoughts are you could run the ASM routine which checks for repel steps left using the callasm command in the script. Though, you would need to have a little bit of ASM knowledge to find that routine and call it and make sure it returns to your script when it is done.

Me and FBI branched this routine a while back to make Pokémon gain HP every step, though, for the life of me, I can't remember where it was, sorry.

Paired with Simba
          Old March 19th, 2013 (5:07 PM).

Nature: Quirky
            Does anybody know how to skip the credits in FR using ASM or Byte Editing? I want to skip it without a press of a button or anything, just skip it.
            Old March 19th, 2013 (5:13 PM). Edited March 19th, 2013 by karatekid552.

Quote:
              Originally Posted by robin22gongon View Post
              Does anybody know how to skip the credits in FR using ASM or Byte Editing? I want to skip it without a press of a button or anything, just skip it.
              I believe it is built into special 0x110 which also does the hall of fame. Let me check.

Edit: Yes, it does do both, and special 0x1A5 just plays the credits. There is no "just hall of fame" special. So, you would have to do some ASM/byte editing to skip them.

Paired with Simba
              Old March 19th, 2013 (5:22 PM).
              Pokemon DarkJasper!?

Quote:
                Originally Posted by karatekid552
                My thoughts are you could run the ASM routine which checks for repel steps left using the callasm command in the script. Though, you would need to have a little bit of ASM knowledge to find that routine and call it and make sure it returns to your script when it is done.

Me and FBI branched this routine a while back to make Pokémon gain HP every step, though, for the life of me, I can't remember where it was, sorry.
                I hoped this might be possible, but unfortunately I don't have any knowledge of ASM. However, I did find this page by JPAN that has some information on repel...but I'm not really sure of what to make of the information. Might this be the routine I would be looking for?
                Old March 19th, 2013 (5:44 PM).

Quote:
                  I hoped this might be possible, but unfortunately I don't have any knowledge of ASM. However, I did find this page by JPAN that has some information on repel...but I'm not really sure of what to make of the information. Might this be the routine I would be looking for?
                  The first routine is the "player used repel" routine that happens when you use it in the bag. Let me look farther. BTW, possibly one of my favorite threads on PC. It is what I used to write my evolution stone tut:p.

I don't see the outside of bag routine in there. It wouldn't be too hard for me to find where the byte is that decreases with each step. Then I could trace it back a little bit. Maybe I have that old routine laying around somewhere....

Edit: yeah, I found the routine, but I neglected to write down where it goes.... Damn.

Paired with Simba
                  Old March 19th, 2013 (6:03 PM).
                  Pokemon DarkJasper!?

Quote:
                    Edit: yeah, I found the routine, but I neglected to write down where it goes.... Damn.
                    Well, if you didn't write down where it goes, how might I go about finding it? I really have no clue how to pinpoint an ASM routine :\

Thanks for your help!
                    Old March 19th, 2013 (6:37 PM).

Quote:
                      Well, if you didn't write down where it goes, how might I go about finding it? I really have no clue how to pinpoint an ASM routine :\

Thanks for your help!
                      I can explain it, but if you don't know ASM, it will be really tough.

1) Use a Max repel. Then open up the create cheat function in VBA and use that to pinpoint the location of the step counter which will decrease (255, 254, 253....) with each step. Just give it a quick youtube, it is fairly simple to use.

2) Set a breakpoint on read of that location. This will be the point at which the game says, "Hmm, he has 25 steps left, continue..." And then later, "Oh! 0 steps left, play message." If you can work backwards from here by following the routine back, you will eventually find where it begins. However, if you can't read ASM, you won't know where that point is.:p

My best advice: if you are serious about hacking, hit up both HackMew's and shinyquagsire's ASM tutorials. From there, read JPAN's documentation and start experimenting. It is a lot, I know, but it is deffinately worth it.

Here is some useful stuff (Darthatron, FBI, and I all use it, probobly more people too):

Instruction reference: https://ece.uwaterloo.ca/~ece222/ARM/ARM7-TDMI-manual-pt3.pdf

JPAN's doc: http://www.pokecommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=47767&d=1247104157

Paired with Simba
                      Old March 19th, 2013 (6:54 PM). Edited March 19th, 2013 by shinyabsol1.
                      Pokemon DarkJasper!?

Quote:
                        I can explain it, but if you don't know ASM, it will be really tough.

1) Use Max repel. The open up the create cheat function in VBA and use that to pinpoint the location of the step counter which will decrease (255, 254, 253....) with each step. Just give it a quick youtube, it is fairly simple to use.

2) Set a breakpoint on read of that location. This will be the point at which the game says, "Hmm, he has 25 steps left, continue..." And then later, "Oh! 0 steps left, play message." If you can work backwards from here by following the routine back, you will eventually find where it begins. However, if you can't read ASM, you won't know where that point is.:p

My best advice: if you are serious about hacking, hit up both HackMew's and shinyquagsire's ASM tutorials. From there, read JPAN's documentation and start experimenting. It is a lot, I know, but it is deffinately worth it.

Here is some useful stuff (Darthatron, FBI, and I all use it, probobly more people too):

Instruction reference: https://ece.uwaterloo.ca/~ece222/ARM...manual-pt3.pdf

JPAN's doc: http://www.pokecommunity.com/attachm...7&d=1247104157
                        Well, I'll give it a shot but I doubt it will work for me. I've looked at lots of ASM tutorials before but never really understood any of them.

Thanks anyways!

EDIT: Just for clarification, what do you mean by "follow the routine back?"
                        Old March 19th, 2013 (7:50 PM).
                        Grudgebearer

Nature: Naughty
                          Why in some cases the offset in which we insert some data must end with 0, 4, 8, ...?
                          Old March 19th, 2013 (10:03 PM).

Hi, i'm Lazzxion

i'm new at this so i'm sorry if this is in the wrong spot
                            i'm currently working on a Pokemon ROM hack to make emerald have a
                            Pokemon Black and White feel to it. During this posses a friend of mine
                            asked me to include Leafeon and Glaceon to Eevee's evolutions.

Unfortunately, no matter what tools i use the limit is 5 evolutions per
                            pokemon and i cant seem to find anything to help me break this limit
                            or just make it so you give eevee away and then gain one of the two
                            while still being able to breed an eevee from them.

I've searched high and low for nearly two weeks with no helpful
                            results, so if anyone can just tell me it's impossible or if there is a
                            way to actually do what i'm trying to achieve, i would be so thankful.

-LazzXion
                            Old March 19th, 2013 (10:18 PM).
                            Banned

Impossible, engine of the game ya'know?
                              Without an engine hack of the ROM you can try it with ASM.
                              Checking levels, stats, etc. of the old pokemon and transfer it to a new pokemon.
                              Kinda make a new and remove the old..
                              Old March 19th, 2013 (11:52 PM).
                              Dark Energy is back in action! ;)

Quote:
                                Originally Posted by Kurapika View Post
                                Why in some cases the offset in which we insert some data must end with 0, 4, 8, ...?
                                Everything inside the rom is in binary, having value of 0 or 1. If we look it at the aspect of a certain address, we have a 32-bit value (or "4-byte value") that points to the address. Now if the highest or second highest (32nd, 31st) bit of this pointer is set to 1, the address won't end with value of "0", "4", "8" or "C". This comes from the way binary works.

So there could be some code that requires both those bits having the value of 0. I personally have no idea why they wanted to program the game like that but it could be one solution, among many.

ROM hacking related stuff

Fixing bugs in a ROM hack

Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
                                -The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations
                                Old March 20th, 2013 (2:32 AM).

Quote:
                                  Well, I'll give it a shot but I doubt it will work for me. I've looked at lots of ASM tutorials before but never really understood any of them.

Thanks anyways!

EDIT: Just for clarification, what do you mean by "follow the routine back?"
                                  Look at the line of your breakpoint, and look one line up, figure out what that is doing, then go one more line up, etc.

Paired with Simba
                                  Old March 20th, 2013 (9:04 AM).

Will none "animated" sprites work in 5th gen games like black and white? im wanting to use some custom sprites in a black rom,but they are none animated, they have a front and back, but can they be used if they are just stationary? is there anything i can use to create a back image and an animated image? thanks.
                                    Old March 20th, 2013 (8:53 PM).

Nature: Quirky
                                      Quote:
                                      Originally Posted by Krakanous View Post
                                      Will none "animated" sprites work in 5th gen games like black and white? im wanting to use some custom sprites in a black rom,but they are none animated, they have a front and back, but can they be used if they are just stationary? is there anything i can use to create a back image and an animated image? thanks.
                                      I don't hack DS Games and there aren't many DS Game hacker, I think you might be able to do it by inserting the same sprite over and over to make an illusion that it doesn't move.
                                      Old March 21st, 2013 (1:36 AM).
                                      Beginning Hacker

Hi, I still have problems with flags... I know many people asked this before, mee too, but everybody gives different answers, but in whatever range I try, there are always flasgs that simply don't work. Is this inevitable, or IS there acturally a range of, lets say, 300-400 flags that are 100% sure to use?

Thanks for any answers,
                                        Reygok
                                        Old March 21st, 2013 (2:46 AM).

Location: Do you really want to know? Really?
                                          Quote:
                                          Originally Posted by Reygok View Post
                                          Hi, I still have problems with flags... I know many people asked this before, mee too, but everybody gives different answers, but in whatever range I try, there are always flasgs that simply don't work. Is this inevitable, or IS there acturally a range of, lets say, 300-400 flags that are 100% sure to use?

Thanks for any answers,
                                          Reygok
                                          If you are not using any scripts that existed from the original FR, then the 100% safe flags are 200-2FF. There are a A LOT of temporary flags for things like rock smash rocks and cut trees (which always come back later so, flag = temporary). So, yeah, the best flags are 200-2FF and there are a few outside of that range which are safe, but you have to be careful. Look at those lists I have posted by DavidJCobb over and over again and see if you can determine what flags are safe and what aren't. Also, if it isn't on the list, that doesn't mean it is safe, it just means that the game didn't use it. (And if Game Freak didn't use it... You have to ask yourself, "Why?".)

Paired with Simba
                                          Old March 21st, 2013 (7:03 AM). Edited March 21st, 2013 by Hacker Bisharp.
                                          Hacker Bisharp Hacker Bisharp is offline
                                          Bug reporter

Nature: Gentle
                                            I need some help
                                            I'm hacking Pokèmon white, for edit text i use pptxt but i can not find the text
                                            I want.
                                            I'm searching the text when you find a new item. Example: Player found a Potion!
                                            Help!

And i'm a good bug reporter. Contact me if you want :D

Old March 21st, 2013 (7:47 AM).
                                            Satoshi Ookami Satoshi Ookami is offline
                                            Memento Mori

Quote:
                                            Originally Posted by Hacker Bisharp View Post
                                            I need some help
                                            I'm hacking Pokèmon white, for edit text i use pptxt but i can not find the text
                                            I want.
                                            I'm searching the text when you find a new item. Example: Player found a Potion!
                                            Help!
                                            You will most likely need a representation of value that Player's name and item is stored at.
                                            Have you tried searching just for "found" word?

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
                                            Old March 21st, 2013 (8:32 AM).
                                            Hacker Bisharp Hacker Bisharp is offline
                                            Bug reporter

Nature: Gentle
                                              Quote:
                                              Originally Posted by Ash493 View Post
                                              You will most likely need a representation of value that Player's name and item is stored at.
                                              Have you tried searching just for "found" word?
                                              PPTXT is not how advance text, i can't search word..

And i'm a good bug reporter. Contact me if you want :D

Old March 21st, 2013 (11:18 AM).

Hi!
                                                I have a question, hope someone can answer!
                                                well, I have a problem to find the offset of the palettes of the battle background, usually i find with emulator and APE, but for some reason failed to find it, if anyone knows the offset, could tell me ..
                                                thanks!
                                                Old March 21st, 2013 (1:03 PM).
                                                shinyabsol1 shinyabsol1 is offline
                                                Pokemon DarkJasper!?

Quote:
                                                  Originally Posted by foxz.
                                                  Hi!
                                                  I have a question, hope someone can answer!
                                                  well, I have a problem to find the offset of the palettes of the battle background, usually i find with emulator and APE, but for some reason failed to find it, if anyone knows the offset, could tell me ..
                                                  thanks!
                                                  It would be helpful to know what game you're hacking...
                                                  Closed Thread

Quick Reply