The PokéCommunity Forums Fan Games ROM Hacking Tools, Tutorials & Resources
Tool Spiky's DS Map Editor (NOW OPEN-SOURCE)

Tools, Tutorials & Resources Various tools to help you develop your hacks can be found here.

Old July 23rd, 2013 (3:07 PM).
♥ Quick Claw Guillotine ♥

It might just be whatever warp command that was used ~ there's multiple ones. If I had to guess, that particular warp command might not do mapchanging completely... maybe the command Magius used for tempwarps like Memory Link Flashbacks.

If you were to warp (with the same command used) to an unedited map instead, does this problem still happen?

(also might want to see what matrix is loaded when you reboot too :P)
    Old July 23rd, 2013 (8:31 PM).

Here is the script, it works find if I port to a already used map. and my map works find if I give it an already used header. it just not liking headers > 614 even if i clone another header to it it still fails to load it.
      Code:
      2E 00                                            //LockAll;
      AB 00 3F 00 00 00                           //PlayCry, Pokemon 63, Forme 0;
      AC 01                                           //FadeToBlack;
      AC 00                                           //WaitCry;
      C4 00 67 02 21 00 00 00 20 00 02 00 //WarpMapXZYF, Map 615, X 33, Z 0, Y 32, Face 2;
      AB 01                                           //FadeFromBlack;
      2F 00                                           //UnlockAll;
      02 00                                           //End;
      Old July 23rd, 2013 (9:07 PM). Edited July 23rd, 2013 by Bond697.

Quote:
        Originally Posted by Magius View Post
        Here is the script, it works find if I port to a already used map. and my map works find if I give it an already used header. it just not liking headers > 614 even if i clone another header to it it still fails to load it.
        Code:
        2E 00                                            //LockAll;
        AB 00 3F 00 00 00                           //PlayCry, Pokemon 63, Forme 0;
        AC 01                                           //FadeToBlack;
        AC 00                                           //WaitCry;
        C4 00 67 02 21 00 00 00 20 00 02 00 //WarpMapXZYF, Map 615, X 33, Z 0, Y 32, Face 2;
        AB 01                                           //FadeFromBlack;
        2F 00                                           //UnlockAll;
        02 00                                           //End;
        could you send me a patch that will produce this same issue? ideally in white 2. i'd like to poke at it a little bit. e: also, what does "doesn't like it" mean exactly?
        Old July 23rd, 2013 (10:11 PM).

http://www.mediafire.com/?3jxl2xd4alwe2w4

I get almost the same effect if i load the save in a clean rom, minus the existence of the actual map.
          I am thinking the game was design to not attempt to load map headers over 614 since there was only 614 available. i would guess cause they expect save editing would happen and didn't want any unwanted result of the game trying to load a map header that didn't exist.

Old July 24th, 2013 (12:21 AM). Edited July 24th, 2013 by Spiky-Eared Pichu.
          NDS Hacker/Researcher

Quote:
            Originally Posted by Magius View Post
            http://www.mediafire.com/?3jxl2xd4alwe2w4

I get almost the same effect if i load the save in a clean rom, minus the existence of the actual map.
            I am thinking the game was design to not attempt to load map headers over 614 since there was only 614 available. i would guess cause they expect save editing would happen and didn't want any unwanted result of the game trying to load a map header that didn't exist.

That means there's a value in a binary file somewhere in the game that controls the header number. I thought Gen V headers would be easy to expand, but it looks like we have the same problem we had in Gen IV. If I ever find that value, I will make sure SDSME edits it when adding and removing headers.

EDIT: I've spend the whole day looking for the bytes that control that with no luck. The function that loads the header data is in the arm9.bin, and I have found the file loading code, but there's no reference to the amount of headers available. I have also frozen values in the RAM while playing the game and tried to reset to check if I had managed to edit the value, but couldn't find anything either. Until the bytes are found, I have disabled the two buttons in the Gen V header editor in SDSME.

Jump into DS hacking with SDSME!

Beta 2 available!!

Old July 25th, 2013 (8:26 AM). Edited July 25th, 2013 by Bond697.

Quote:
              Originally Posted by Spiky-Eared Pichu View Post
              That means there's a value in a binary file somewhere in the game that controls the header number. I thought Gen V headers would be easy to expand, but it looks like we have the same problem we had in Gen IV. If I ever find that value, I will make sure SDSME edits it when adding and removing headers.

EDIT: I've spend the whole day looking for the bytes that control that with no luck. The function that loads the header data is in the arm9.bin, and I have found the file loading code, but there's no reference to the amount of headers available. I have also frozen values in the RAM while playing the game and tried to reset to check if I had managed to edit the value, but couldn't find anything either. Until the bytes are found, I have disabled the two buttons in the Gen V header editor in SDSME.
              what's the address of the function that loads the header data? and the file loading code? i have virtually all the file-loading code labeled, but knowing which one it is beforehand would be nice.

e:

lol, already had it labelled:

Spoiler:

kazo, try going to 0x1478C in the arm9 and increasing that 0x00000267.

e2: nvm, it works
              Old July 25th, 2013 (10:38 AM).

Spiky, I'm pretty new to ROMhacking, so bare with me please;
                I'm trying to edit text, ANY text, and with your program, whenever I do, and load up the ROM, it freezes on the next scene transition.

At first, I tried to edit the text to not show the opponent's next pkmn (so it's always a blind switch if you switch), and that caused freezing.

So I put it back the way it was, tested, all was well.

I then tried to edit Juniper's opening statements by just /one word/ and the same thing happened.

Is the program still buggy/unfinished or am I screwing up something so bad I don't even know it?
                Old July 25th, 2013 (11:37 AM).
                NDS Hacker/Researcher

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by LeviTrueblade View Post
                  Spiky, I'm pretty new to ROMhacking, so bare with me please;
                  I'm trying to edit text, ANY text, and with your program, whenever I do, and load up the ROM, it freezes on the next scene transition.

At first, I tried to edit the text to not show the opponent's next pkmn (so it's always a blind switch if you switch), and that caused freezing.

So I put it back the way it was, tested, all was well.

I then tried to edit Juniper's opening statements by just /one word/ and the same thing happened.

Is the program still buggy/unfinished or am I screwing up something so bad I don't even know it?
                  I think the problem you have is that you're using save states. When hacking games data moves around and changes, so loading a save state is useless because the emulator expects to find some data and it can't find it. It's not a problem with the text editor, SDSME works fine :)

Beta 2 available!!

Old July 25th, 2013 (12:09 PM).

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Bond697 View Post
                    what's the address of the function that loads the header data? and the file loading code? i have virtually all the file-loading code labeled, but knowing which one it is beforehand would be nice.

e:

lol, already had it labelled:

Spoiler:

kazo, try going to 0x1478C in the arm9 and increasing that 0x00000267.

e2: nvm, it works
                    thanks man.

for anyone try this quick fix untill th program is updated its the adress in the uncompressed arm9 binary, and also in b2 its at 0x14774 if anyone needed it.
                    Old July 25th, 2013 (12:40 PM).

Quote:
                      I think the problem you have is that you're using save states. When hacking games data moves around and changes, so loading a save state is useless because the emulator expects to find some data and it can't find it. It's not a problem with the text editor, SDSME works fine :)
                      I am utterly ashamed that I couldn't think of that being the issue.
                      Thank you for putting up with my foolishness.
                      On a related note, it wouldn't make a difference if it was an already-hacked rom, IE: VoltWhite2, would it?
                      Old July 25th, 2013 (2:33 PM).

Quote:
                        Originally Posted by LeviTrueblade View Post
                        On a related note, it wouldn't make a difference if it was an already-hacked rom, IE: VoltWhite2, would it?
                        Wouldn't make a difference.

The cool thing about NDS games is that files are separated and easy to pick out of the rom, unlike GBA games. You can 'blow up'/open any game, even hacked ones {:3}
                        Old July 26th, 2013 (12:25 AM).

Quote:
                          Originally Posted by Kaphotics View Post
                          Wouldn't make a difference.

The cool thing about NDS games is that files are separated and easy to pick out of the rom, unlike GBA games. You can 'blow up'/open any game, even hacked ones {:3}
                          I figured as much, but I've encountered a few tools that work with the full ROM that won't work on hacked ROMs because of some sort of offset in the code? Or at least that's the only explanation I read.

And now to figure out how I pissed off the KeyBearer NPC since I've been testing on VoltWhite2. Apparently editing the text insulted him and he won't speak to me. So time to either remove him or fix it.
                          Old July 31st, 2013 (2:44 AM).
                          POKEMON OMICRON CREATOR

Hi Spiky, I have been using MKDS Course Modifier and I was able to edit the title screen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pyc2Z7uGyo
                            Will SDSME support some features of MKDS like NCLR + NCGR + NSCR files or a NITRO explorer?
                            Thanks a lot for your tool. ;)
                            Old July 31st, 2013 (4:36 AM).
                            NDS Hacker/Researcher

Quote:
                              Originally Posted by Trifindo View Post
                              Hi Spiky, I have been using MKDS Course Modifier and I was able to edit the title screen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pyc2Z7uGyo
                              Will SDSME support some features of MKDS like NCLR + NCGR + NSCR files or a NITRO explorer?
                              First of all, that title screen is simply AMAZING. I think you're the first one to successfully edit it. MKDS Course Modifier is a powerful tool, and I know features like texture and palette editing are attractive, but I'm not planning to add them to SDSME. On the other side, an explorer is already available, although in a different way than you may be expecting. If you navigate to the folder your current ROM is, you will see there's a new folder with all the game data inside. You can access and edit the whole filesystem of the game this way, but always making sure you close every program using the files (except SDSME, of course) when saving, or a random error may happen.

I may add a shortcut or something to SDSME to make it more visible :)

Beta 2 available!!

Old July 31st, 2013 (11:43 AM).
                              POKEMON OMICRON CREATOR

Quote:
                                First of all, that title screen is simply AMAZING. I think you're the first one to successfully edit it. MKDS Course Modifier is a powerful tool, and I know features like texture and palette editing are attractive, but I'm not planning to add them to SDSME. On the other side, an explorer is already available, although in a different way than you may be expecting. If you navigate to the folder your current ROM is, you will see there's a new folder with all the game data inside. You can access and edit the whole filesystem of the game this way, but always making sure you close every program using the files (except SDSME, of course) when saving, or a random error may happen.

I may add a shortcut or something to SDSME to make it more visible :)
                                Thanks a lot for the information. ;)
                                I have one more question, I have been trying to replace and edit the buildings models but allways the game frezees or the textures are wrong. I think that to solve this problem we must edit the file called "build_model_matshp.dat", is that correct or the problem is just the .nsbmd file?
                                Old August 2nd, 2013 (4:58 AM).

Spiky, there is one thing I can't seem to get;
                                  I'm trying to change a pond to act like a puddle with water encounters.
                                  How would I do that?
                                  IE: the first water you come into contact with in B2W2, I want to set it where you can walk across it and encounter the pokemon set just to the 5 water encounter slots.

Could you spare the time to tell me how?
                                  Old August 2nd, 2013 (12:54 PM).
                                  Lord Natural Harmonia Gropius Lord Natural Harmonia Gropius is offline
                                  Pokemon HGSS Researcher

Nature: Sassy
                                    I will like to say DS game modding has come so far.
                                    Old August 2nd, 2013 (9:21 PM).

Quote:
                                      Originally Posted by Team Fail View Post
                                      The only way water table encounters happen is by surfing. I believe the water in Icirrus City uses a grass table. I'd take a look at that as a reference. Just remember that it's possible that grass and walkable water in Icirrus City can use the same table.
                                      Dang. I was really hoping for a way to get some water encounters early without needing a fishing rod.

Ok then;

Know any way to change the look of the map to include puddles in the grass? That way I could put some water pokemon in the grass table and it would at least /seem/ feasible for you to encounter -say- a surskit in the grass tables.

I really wish I could just make Key Items out of the HM's so you didn't need them.
                                      Old August 2nd, 2013 (10:29 PM).

Quote:
                                        Originally Posted by Username? View Post
                                        Dang. I was really hoping for a way to get some water encounters early without needing a fishing rod.

Ok then;

Know any way to change the look of the map to include puddles in the grass?
                                        Edit the map so that it has the same tiles & permissions that mimic those at Icirrus City.
                                        Old August 3rd, 2013 (1:49 AM). Edited August 3rd, 2013 by pokemontouroku.
                                        pokemontouroku pokemontouroku is offline

Quote:
                                          AMAZING!! I learned to edit title screen by watching you do it.
                                          But no animations.Please give me a clue.
                                          http://uploda.cc/img/img51fcccc57eafe.png
                                          Old August 3rd, 2013 (10:00 AM).
                                          POKEMON OMICRON CREATOR

Quote:
                                            Originally Posted by pokemontouroku View Post
                                            AMAZING!! I learned to edit title screen by watching you do it.
                                            But no animations.Please give me a clue.
                                            http://uploda.cc/img/img51fcccc57eafe.png
                                            Really good title screen. ;)
                                            To add animations you must make them in 3ds max and export the .imd file with a .ita file. (This is my first clue)

Spiky, have you discovered something new about buidldings?
                                            Thanks
                                            Old August 6th, 2013 (6:13 PM).
                                            pokemontouroku pokemontouroku is offline

Quote:
                                              Really good title screen. ;)
                                              To add animations you must make them in 3ds max and export the .imd file with a .ita file. (This is my first clue)

Spiky, have you discovered something new about buidldings?
                                              Thanks
                                              Thank you for your advice.
                                              g3dcvtr.exe:imd→nsbmd,ita→nsbta
                                              In spite of adding animations in 3ds max there is no change in title screen.
                                              My method of adding animations is wrong.How I add animetios in 3ds max?
                                              I feel so ashamed.
                                              Old August 7th, 2013 (3:03 AM).
                                              POKEMON OMICRON CREATOR

Quote:
                                                Originally Posted by pokemontouroku View Post
                                                Thank you for your advice.
                                                g3dcvtr.exe:imd→nsbmd,ita→nsbta
                                                In spite of adding animations in 3ds max there is no change in title screen.
                                                My method of adding animations is wrong.How I add animetios in 3ds max?
                                                I feel so ashamed.
                                                Very well, you are a good NDS hacker.
                                                You must edit the offset of the texture coordinates and insert a keyframe (frame 0), then you go to the frame 30 (in the timeline) and you change the texture coordinates with a different number and insert a keyframe (fame 30).
                                                You can use the play button to see your animation. ;)
                                                Old August 10th, 2013 (1:35 PM).
                                                8-bit producer & Pokémon GB music hacker

Nature: Gentle
                                                  Quote:
                                                  A starter editor wouldn't be hard to add, but I think that it wouldn't make very much sense in a tool like SDSME. However, maybe in the future I will make other small tools for things like that. If I have enough time, I will also try to write some basic documents on how to use SDSME, because the tutorials available don't cover everything and are outdated.

SDSME 1.9.0 will introduce a (once again) redesigned tileset editor, but that this time it will actually EDIT things. You'll be able to edit palettes and textures without MKDS, and also change some interesting settings that weren't previously available anywhere (transparency and texture flipping). Here's what it looks like (not finished, there are lots of features to add yet):

Looks cool. I haven't looked at your thread for weeks. It would be one of the most awesome things in NDS ROM Hacking history to be able to edit the palettes so easy.
                                                  Old August 15th, 2013 (9:33 AM).
                                                  master3019 master3019 is offline

When I open up a Soul Silver rom, and go to the map editor, it shows it all white. I'm sorry if this problem has been addressed before, but there's a lot of pages, and I don't have time for that. If there's any way to fix this, please let me know.

Quick Reply