The PokéCommunity Forums Pokémon Gaming Pokémon Gaming Central
Catch 'Em All Club!

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.

Old February 14th, 2017 (3:13 PM).
Unprofessional Unprofessional

Nature: Adamant
    Evolving Pokemon is the slowest part of making a living dex; most pokemon need about 20-30 levels which is about 1-2 runs of the elite four. Gen VI has ruined me with the exp.share. Instead of just turning it on, and running through the Elite Four, I have to watch the levels of my pokemon and strategically switch the exp.share between a couple pokemon. It's made evolving pokemon so much worse, especially stuff like Dragonair and Pupitar. Thankfully, Deino isn't in Platinum, otherwise I'd proibably have to run the Elite 4 about 5 more times.

Anyway, I've still got a couple pokemon before the living dex is done. I've gotta breed the starters, then evolve them, then just tying up loose ends.
    Living Pokedex Complete: Y, C, LG, E, Pl, HG, B, B2, X, Y, OR, AS, M, UM
    Big thanks especially to DestinedJagold, Xerneas_X, Elements1 and ~RNC~

PM me if you want to trade, or add my FC.
    Old February 15th, 2017 (4:29 AM).
    Pokemon Breeder

Nature: Relaxed
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by ShyRayq View Post
      Evolving Pokemon is the slowest part of making a living dex; most pokemon need about 20-30 levels which is about 1-2 runs of the elite four. Gen VI has ruined me with the exp.share. Instead of just turning it on, and running through the Elite Four, I have to watch the levels of my pokemon and strategically switch the exp.share between a couple pokemon. It's made evolving pokemon so much worse, especially stuff like Dragonair and Pupitar. Thankfully, Deino isn't in Platinum, otherwise I'd proibably have to run the Elite 4 about 5 more times.

Anyway, I've still got a couple pokemon before the living dex is done. I've gotta breed the starters, then evolve them, then just tying up loose ends.
      Do Blissey bases on OR/AS its much nicer than elite 4 runs and you're not locked in to completing the whole lot.
      Side Games : N64: Pokemon Stadium, Mobile: Pokemon Go
      Friend Code : 3583-1391-5475
      Old February 15th, 2017 (4:03 PM).

Quote:
        Originally Posted by Oblox View Post
        Do Blissey bases on OR/AS its much nicer than elite 4 runs and you're not locked in to completing the whole lot.
        *kinda ranty*
        To be honest, I prefer doing E-4 runs in ORAS. I put my Mega-Rayquaza in the front and 5 random pokemon to grind up and just run through it. When my pokemon hits its evolution level, I switch it to the front and let it faint. It'll still evolve, but it just won't get anymore unnecessary experience. If all my pokemon have evolved, I can just end it easily as Mega Rayquaza has low enough defenses to be fainted pretty easily. If I faint, I just end up back at the league, and can go straight back in without having to fly to another location.

Sure, I can do all of those things with Blissey bases, but paradoxically, they give too much experience. I like my pokemon to stay at their evolved levels, e.g./ Kadabras at Lvl16 or Feraligatrs at Lvl30. The E-4 gives enough experience to get there, but not too much to overshoot it. Meanwhile if I go to a Blissey-base, I could potentially, especially for a low-level pokemon, overshoot the evolution level by 5-10 levels, maybe even more. Also they're spread out, as secret bases are all over the place. They're also not infinite, though there's so much experience that you probably don't need to go to every Blissey Base, I'm just gonna go to the E-4 afterwards anyway, so why not just be there all the time?

Also, I just like going through the E-4 with Mega-Ray. Destroying every pokemon with a 1HKO is pretty satisfying. It's also less bland then blisseys over and over again, I guess.
        *end kind ranty thing*

Anyway, I think I'm pretty much done with my Platinum Dex; The only pokemon I had left were Munchlax and Snorlax, because Honey Trees, but I gave in and just transferred a Snorlax from Leaf Green. I might go back and do some more honey trees, but for now, it's good enough for me.

Old February 24th, 2017 (10:30 PM).

Nature: Quirky
        Most of you are probably far ahead of me anyways, but I've got my Alola Dex to around 80% completion! Spent much of today and last night working on it, and this means a lot considering that given how few Pokémon I catch in most games, I typically complete no more than 20% of the dex, tops.

Maybe I'll be able to get 100% this week! (:
        Old February 25th, 2017 (5:49 AM).
        The typo Queen

Nature: Calm
        I'm in!

Name/Nickname: Mawa
        Current Progress: I am in class right now I'll edit this later
        Any other information you'd like to include: My project of Living Dex for Sun: On. My project for shiny (non-living) Dex on Y: on hold.

How is completing the dex in Sun / Moon going? Are you finding it more or less fun than previous generations? If you've already completed it, how long did it take you?

I want to complete my Pokedex but I am also breeding and training some Pokemon. I know my Dex is gonna take time, and it's alright. Still have to make a list of the Pokemon I have, the Pokemon I can have and those I need. I already completed my Pokedex for Y but now I kinda want a living Dex, or at least having all the last evolutions (I can breed them later). With Pokebank I can store them for the next games (if I don't pay for bank for a year will I lose my pokemon or just can't access them?).

I'll start with completing the regional Pokedex in Sun and then I'll move to the National Dex. I like breeding too and I don't have that much time to do many trades so I know it's a long-time project.
        Old February 26th, 2017 (10:20 AM).

Quote:
        Originally Posted by Mawa View Post
        I'm in!

Name/Nickname: Mawa
        Current Progress: I am in class right now I'll edit this later
        Any other information you'd like to include: My project of Living Dex for Sun: On. My project for shiny (non-living) Dex on Y: on hold.

How is completing the dex in Sun / Moon going? Are you finding it more or less fun than previous generations? If you've already completed it, how long did it take you?

I want to complete my Pokedex but I am also breeding and training some Pokemon. I know my Dex is gonna take time, and it's alright. Still have to make a list of the Pokemon I have, the Pokemon I can have and those I need. I already completed my Pokedex for Y but now I kinda want a living Dex, or at least having all the last evolutions (I can breed them later). With Pokebank I can store them for the next games (if I don't pay for bank for a year will I lose my pokemon or just can't access them?).

I'll start with completing the regional Pokedex in Sun and then I'll move to the National Dex. I like breeding too and I don't have that much time to do many trades so I know it's a long-time project.
        Welcome Mawa! (:
        Just working on completing the regional dex in SM for the first time has opened my eyes to how vastly more difficult it sounds to do a living dex, ahah. Good luck if you do decide to start it.
        Old February 26th, 2017 (4:22 PM).
        The typo Queen

Quote:
        Originally Posted by Rainbow View Post
        Welcome Mawa! (:
        Just working on completing the regional dex in SM for the first time has opened my eyes to how vastly more difficult it sounds to do a living dex, ahah. Good luck if you do decide to start it.
        Thanks! With Pokebank it's easier tho. I kept all the Pokemon I catched in Y and in ORAS so I have a good base I think.
        Old February 27th, 2017 (3:21 AM).
        Pokemon Breeder

Quote:
          With Pokebank I can store them for the next games (if I don't pay for bank for a year will I lose my pokemon or just can't access them?).
          Heya Mawa!

I'm not sure how long they'd keep your account active for honestly, a year maybe pushing it but they definitely don't clear anything out straight away. I've gone without paying for a few weeks at most and you lose access but everything was as it was when I re-subbed.
          Old February 27th, 2017 (2:26 PM).
          The typo Queen

Quote:
          Heya Mawa!

I'm not sure how long they'd keep your account active for honestly, a year maybe pushing it but they definitely don't clear anything out straight away. I've gone without paying for a few weeks at most and you lose access but everything was as it was when I re-subbed.
          Not getting access while I don't pay is alright, I just don't want to lose them you know? Like r-subscribe later and they are all gone D:
          Old February 28th, 2017 (2:46 AM).
          Pokemon Breeder

Quote:
            Not getting access while I don't pay is alright, I just don't want to lose them you know? Like r-subscribe later and they are all gone D:
            This is the reason I bought a powersaves to 'backup' my entire living dex to bank and across both my cartridges. Backup save in powersaves, copy up to bank then restore save from powersaves and voila.

I'd hate to lose it after all that work if a cartridge died or I didn't pay for bank for a while.
            Old February 28th, 2017 (6:11 PM).
            The typo Queen

I don't know about getting a Powersave... I like being old fashioned hehe but it can be usefull, I do breed a lot and ev train, more than actual battles...

Soon I'll check my dex and see what's missing there! I know there's a lot, but hey!! I have many evolutionary stones, so if anyone want to trade me some evolutions for my pokedex (they don't have to bee good at all, I only want the copy of the Pokemon) I can give some stones in return!
            Old March 1st, 2017 (2:33 AM).
            Pokemon Breeder

Quote:
              I don't know about getting a Powersave... I like being old fashioned hehe but it can be usefull, I do breed a lot and ev train, more than actual battles...
              WEll as you know I breed all my own and EV train etc the old fashioned way but I love having a backup copy of all my mons.
              Old March 1st, 2017 (7:39 PM).
              Wynaut

Name/Nickname: Wobb
              Current Progress: 587/802
              Any other information you'd like to include: I'm doing a Living Pokedex. I haven't completed the Alola Pokedex yet, but I probably will soon. I just finished with Gen 1 in my Living Dex after my friend gave me his Mew, and now I'm mostly done with Gen 2, just missing 14 Pokemon from Gen 2 now.

Pokemon Cosmos Discord Server: https://discord.gg/kHYePnE

Find me on Discord or whatever. @Wobb#2777
              Old March 2nd, 2017 (1:11 AM).
              Pokemon Breeder

Quote:
                Originally Posted by Wobb View Post
                Any other information you'd like to include: I'm doing a Living Pokedex. I haven't completed the Alola Pokedex yet, but I probably will soon. I just finished with Gen 1 in my Living Dex after my friend gave me his Mew, and now I'm mostly done with Gen 2, just missing 14 Pokemon from Gen 2 now.
                Welcome and sounds like you're progressing nicely. Interesting you're working on things in generation order, I just generally did it randomly catching everything I could then did the breeding/trade evolutions once id caught all i could.
                Old March 2nd, 2017 (7:58 PM).

Quote:
                Originally Posted by Wobb View Post
                Nice work! I believe I saw you talking about this in Discord the other day. I have added you to the members list :)
                Old March 3rd, 2017 (1:54 AM).
                Pokemon Breeder

Forgot to post in here, finished my living dex the other week so 801/802 (eagerly awaiting news of Marshadow) have been working on catching decent competitive nature versions of the Tapu's to replace out in my dex, wish id done the same for the ultra beasts and other legendaries. My end aim now is to replace any legendaries I can with decent nature versions and build them up and hyper train them, i didnt SR for all the legendary giveaways last year but I did for the most part so thats a few more to do and am farming for bottle caps.

Am contemplating re-starting Pokemon sun to try this but the thought of replaying all again so soon is putting me off.
                  Old March 3rd, 2017 (12:23 PM).

Quote:
                    Forgot to post in here, finished my living dex the other week so 801/802 (eagerly awaiting news of Marshadow) have been working on catching decent competitive nature versions of the Tapu's to replace out in my dex, wish id done the same for the ultra beasts and other legendaries. My end aim now is to replace any legendaries I can with decent nature versions and build them up and hyper train them, i didnt SR for all the legendary giveaways last year but I did for the most part so thats a few more to do and am farming for bottle caps.

Am contemplating re-starting Pokemon sun to try this but the thought of replaying all again so soon is putting me off.
                    Why not get Moon? Hahaha.

Or why not start on the non-SM legends? I'm assuming you have the Gen VI games, which would allow that.

Old March 4th, 2017 (12:06 AM).

I have completed the Alola Dex!! Did a bit of trading today with my friend to get Porygon2, Porygon-Z and Scizor, which where the final three I needed.

This is the first time I've ever completed a dex, so I'm pretty happy with this! I'll probably spend most of my time shiny hunting for a few weeks with my new Charm, and then after that mayyyyybe go for the full 802.
                    Old March 4th, 2017 (1:02 AM).

Quote:
                      I have completed the Alola Dex!! Did a bit of trading today with my friend to get Porygon2, Porygon-Z and Scizor, which where the final three I needed.

This is the first time I've ever completed a dex, so I'm pretty happy with this! I'll probably spend most of my time shiny hunting for a few weeks with my new Charm, and then after that mayyyyybe go for the full 802.
                      Congrats! Completing any pokedex is definitely awesome.
                      I do encourage going for the whole national dex, or even a living dex or some capacity. It just feels good to see the whole collection all at once. Still a shame the national pokedex isn't ingame.

Old March 6th, 2017 (1:23 AM).
                      Pokemon Breeder

Quote:
                        Originally Posted by ShyRayq View Post
                        Why not get Moon? Hahaha.

Or why not start on the non-SM legends? I'm assuming you have the Gen VI games, which would allow that.
                        I have moon (I completed it about 2 weeks ago) did sun first though.

I got rid of all my Gen 6 games as I don't tend to go back and replay. Decided i will restart Sun but will take the replay slowly so as not to burn out and do battle tree and breeding etc in Moon on the side.
                        Old March 11th, 2017 (9:20 PM).

how have the rest of you been doing? anyone made progress? (:
                        Old March 12th, 2017 (7:41 PM).
                        The typo Queen

Sadly I haven't made much progress (I got the new Zelda game.... sorry 3DS)

My Dex is currently 66% complete (199 alolan Pokedex/ 280)
                        Old April 2nd, 2017 (12:42 PM).
                        big mood. bye

I've been working on my Diamond dex these days, progress is now 486/493. I'm getting very close. :D
                          Old April 3rd, 2017 (7:17 PM).

I've been kinda bored since I completed the Alola dex, so I'm considering trying to complete the dex in another game or mayyyybe the national dex.

It sounds like a ridiculous amount of work though wow.
                          Old April 4th, 2017 (5:36 PM).

Quote:
                            I've been kinda bored since I completed the Alola dex, so I'm considering trying to complete the dex in another game or mayyyybe the national dex.

It sounds like a ridiculous amount of work though wow.
                            Well, maybe just start with a living dex? Unless you already have one.
                            Then I would agree that you should start with another game unless you want to tackle the full 801.

Quick Reply