The PokéCommunity Forums Pokémon Gaming Pokémon Gaming Central
Your favourite generation, and why

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.

View Poll Results: Your favourite gen
Gen I 4 9.09%
Gen II 4 9.09%
Gen III 7 15.91%
Gen IV 10 22.73%
Gen V 13 29.55%
Gen VI 4 9.09%
Gen VII 2 4.55%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 10th, 2017 (2:45 AM).
AIRMAN GA TAOSENAI

Nature: Modest
So this has been something on my mind pretty recently. I haven't really seen a topic about it, or if there is it's probably long dead, so I thought, why not bring it up? The topic in question: what is your favourite generation, and why?

As for me, despite starting in the third generation, I hold Gen V to be amazing. They really went all out with the plot, almost rivalling that of Sun and Moon, and the overall themes to make it feel like a fresh reboot, which is the first time they shook up the formula since the start. There are also some nicely-done areas with some decent backstory, such as the Relic Castle - Chargestone Cave also had some really nice gimmick to it.

GTXV egg swap winner
3DS FC: 5301-2379-3187

IGNs: X: Bowser | AS: Bowser | Moon: Link | Ultra Moon: HeroLinik
My Friend Safari is Water and it contains Octillery, Frogadier and Wartortle.

Watch me on the YouTubes!
Old November 10th, 2017 (3:23 AM). Edited November 10th, 2017 by Powerserge.
The Imminent Victor

Nature: Relaxed
    I've been playing Pokemon since its beginning with Gen 1, but Gen 2 will probably always be my favorite. It just offered SO much in one game, especially with the ability to visit two regions (what happened to that?) and the moving sprites in Crystal. Not to mention some of my favorite Pokemon anime, legendaries, manga, characters, and movies were about Gen 2 as well. Pokemon Stadium 2 helped seal the deal as well, even more so than the first Pokemon Stadium.

Some of the best times of my childhood was during Gen 2, so that definitely helps me make my decision!!!
    Old November 10th, 2017 (6:16 AM).
    press start to play_

Nature: Naive
    I'm not sure. There are things I like about all generations. Except for the first, haha, that is easily the worst one.

Gen 2 is lovely pixly and surprisingly dynamic.
    Gen 3 is so smooth and easy to play, plus it has Hoenn
    Gen 4's Sinnoh games were the ones I've played that felt the most epic and dramatic, and I like how they made use of the touch screen in all the games.
    Gen 5 has maybe the best battle and UI plus I think the sequels was a cool idea.
    Gen 6 made perhaps the best use of the touch screen, plus it had Hoenn.
    Gen 7 is pretty great overall, despite Alola d:
    Old November 11th, 2017 (4:20 AM). Edited November 11th, 2017 by Aslan.
    the pretender

Nature: Modest
    Gen 4! It was the first generation I ever experienced outside of watching my sister play Emerald, and it's the one I have the fondest memories of. I remember making a ton of school friends when I was younger due to the release of DPPt when Pokemon became super popular at school. I would also spend hours of my weekend playing DPPt and HG/SS which I find that I can't do anymore when it comes to Pokemon. I also think Sinnoh has one of the most captivating storylines - in particular, I thought the Distortion World, Team Galactic and even journeying with characters such as Cheryl and Buck made the game stand out for me.
    Old November 11th, 2017 (7:59 PM).

Nature: Quirky
    <p>we stan gen 5 in this section</p><p>I love 3 and 4 as well, but 5 is the gen that really impressed me the most, and interestingly I like it for a lot of the reasons some people dislike it -- it took risks. The fact that BW weren't amazing doesn't bother me much; Game Freak couldn't be expected to get their new formula perfect instantly, and I respect the fact that they were willing to step out of their comfort zone and try some new features a lot more than I'm bothered that some of the features didn't pan out the way they wanted. For what it's worth, I <i>did </i>like most of the changes, and didn't even mind not having any old generation Pokémon the first time around. Nice tilesets, super cute battle sprites, seasons, new interesting characters that were a hell of a lot better written than almost anyone in generations before or after, and a lot more. BW2 was a masterpiece, and BW did a lot right as well. I'm super disappointed that Gen 6 not only didn't improve in a similar way, it actively removed almost all the features that 5 added.</p>
    Old November 11th, 2017 (8:19 PM).
    Hope springs eternal

Nature: Adamant
      Gen 4 has to be my favourite overall. Sinnoh is my preferred region, its geography, mythology, story, and fauna are amazing. Speaking of fauna, I really like many of the Pokémon this gen introduced, and it features some of my top choices, including Piplup, Shinx, Glaceon, and Leafeon. Despite being a young teen at the time, I was still pretty young in character, and consider Pearl to be the last Pokémon game I played as a child. There's just a magic to that.

On the other hand, I got Soul Silver shortly before finishing high school, and it was a powerful experience. I was playing a childhood favourite while taking my first steps into adulthood, I was pretty cheesed about Lyra, but loved everything else about the remakes. It's also at this time that Pokémon was losing its "lame little kid thing" status, and older fans became more common.

I think it also helps that I was in a good enough state throughout the duration of this generation. High school was decent, family life was stable, and I was pretty healthy (both mentally and physically). I also discovered forums not long after Pearl released, and was thus able to talk Pokémon with others and made many great friends. I didn't have all the worries and responsibilities of being an adult, but did have some freedom and independence. So, nostalgia for both the games ,and that time in my life, probably helps Gen 4 shine in my books...

Paired with my BF, CountDVB
      Old November 12th, 2017 (7:07 AM). Edited November 12th, 2017 by BlazingCobaltX.
      big mood. bye

I think maaaybe Gen IV, but mainly because it gave Pokémon the biggest boost it could've gotten: Wi-Fi connectivity. It's kind of the hinge that connects the older and newer games and I think it's one of the mandatory games to have played if you just start out with Pokémon, because it contains the best of both.

Every generation has its good points and I love them all, though.

(This answer changes every time it's asked.)
        Old November 12th, 2017 (1:29 PM).

Nature: Calm
        That's a hard question, but I'd say it's a mix of generations one, four, and five. I love generation one due to it being how I got introduced into Pokemon. Exploring all the locations and executing all the glitches was also pretty fun to 8/9 year old me. (and it still is!). I still also love the simple feel of these games

Generation four were the first modern games I obtained, as Platinum was the most recent game at the time when I got it. I love the soundtrack, locations, and characters of Sinnoh, so it still remains one of my top favorites.

Generation five is also one of my favorites due to its improved story and soundtrack when compared to other Pokemon games. It also introduced my favorite Pokemon, Snivy & Serperior.
        Old November 12th, 2017 (3:47 PM).
        Luck = 0

Nature: Lonely
          Fourth Gen.

I loved the starters/story of D/P/P, and alot of old pokemon got new evolutions. Adding to that it gave us remakes of Gen 2.
          Old November 12th, 2017 (8:41 PM).

Nature: Jolly
          It's honestly a mix between Gen III, IV, and VII. Like, I had the most memories with Gen III, had the most fun with the replayability of Gen IV, and felt Gen VII was a nice breath of fresh air compared to previous generations.
          Old November 12th, 2017 (9:13 PM).

Gen 2, partially due to nostalgia like any pokemon game, but also because I love the new gen 2 pokemon and their designs, and the Johto region and rivals like Silver. Sure new gens have updated graphics, mechanics, new Pokemon and some have better stories but Gen 2 is charming to me. Less competitive focused too.
            Old November 13th, 2017 (3:35 AM).
            Kreeeeeh

Nature: Timid
              Gen IV, there're the best Pokemons ever, in my opinion. (Platinum) Gen V is my second favorite. (B2/W2) The IV/V versions have enjoyable systems, too.
              Old November 13th, 2017 (4:02 AM).
              https://discord.gg/HAXrq78

Nature: Quiet
                I've been playing Pokemon ever since gen1 came out. I miss those days when Pokemon was simple. Now to be any good at Pokemon battles you have to know algebra! I think my favorite generation is gen 1. It was so simple back in those days!
                Old November 20th, 2017 (8:26 PM).

I really like 3, 4 & 6 GEN. They're really great designs and very powerful creatures but I guess the first generation is classic, and reminds me good times playing against the PC.

If I have to make a TOP 3 they would be:

1. 1GEN
                  2. 4GEN
                  3. 3GEN
                  Old November 20th, 2017 (8:36 PM).

Nature: Mild
                    Gen 3, because it's mostly the one I grew up playing.
                    Old November 21st, 2017 (3:43 AM).

Nature: Gentle
                    Yeahhh it’s a tougher question than I figured... I think I adore Gen 4 for the region alone, but when I deeply think about it, all the gens have reasoning for me to become s ‘favourite’. Like Gen 1 has nostalgia, and I think has the most of my favourite Gym Lesders (ie Erika and Misty), Gen 2 has pretty good cities and culture (like the Kimono Girls being like guardians of ho-oh), Gen 3 has great music and pretty good evil teams, Gen 5 also has great music and a developed plot with developed characters like N and Cheren/Bianca. Gen 6 I guess would be for the music too, and Gen 7 has a nice development too. :]
                    Old November 22nd, 2017 (10:14 PM). Edited November 22nd, 2017 by Tom2.

Nature: Relaxed
                      Gen III
                      I've been playing since Gen I and I would have voted for Gen II but I have some major gripes with gen II, particularly with no way to access evolution stones until post game. I never understood how Gen II gave early access to bellsprout and poliwag and never gave you a way to get to their final evolutions until after fighting the elite 4? Why? It annoys me to no end and I wish HG/SS would have fixed this issue more than just random NPC's potentially giving them to you. I did like the early access to elemental punches in Gen II though. Gen III is my favorite because I loved the colors, the layout of Hoenn, the starters, and I liked Aqua/Magma a lot even if they weren't logical villains they were still neat.

I am certainly in the minority but I felt gen IV outside of the Gen II remakes was bland. I just didn't care for any of it and couldn't finish the game due to boredom. No matter how many times I tried by the 5th badge I was pretty much done with the game. Was not a fan of the pokemon designs in that gen either.
                      Old December 2nd, 2017 (12:56 PM).

I really like gen 1
                        Old December 3rd, 2017 (6:25 PM).
                        Hater of ads

Gen4. I mean come on, like my nuzrun says, it’s the real best generation.

Ok, jokes aside, it was really good. Most of the new evos were cool, the games are all amazing, it gave us the Physical/Special split which made a lot of weaker mons better to use, and the show was still decent. Also my first generation.
                          Old December 3rd, 2017 (9:15 PM).

Gen V has:

Best Music
                            Best Gym Leaders Designs and Gym Layouts
                            Best Graphics (Sprites + Animation)
                            Best
                            Best Upgraded Version BW2
                            Beautiful Overworld Layout
                            PWT is my favorite post-game feature
                            Favorite Pokemon Selection, REBOOT for the win!
                            Lilligant, Serperior, Whimsicott, Samurott, Liepard, Leavanny, Volcarona, Galvantula, Mienshao, Hydreigon, Sawsbuck, Mandibuzz, Braviary, Jellicent, Scoliepede, Emolga, Virizion, Chandelure, Musharna, Zebstrika etc.

Cons:
                            No Battle Facility
                            Pokemon Musical and Movie Features....AWFUL
                            No Customization yet
                            Old December 5th, 2017 (1:42 AM).
                            Banned

Nature: Lonely
                              Gen five. Unova was beautiful and had a load of fully evolved pokemon like Tyranitar in the wild. Good memories.

Gen 4/Sinnoh is always really good due to the amazing region and myths involved.
                              Old December 5th, 2017 (8:19 PM).

Nature: Quirky
                              Quote:
                              Originally Posted by Fenneking View Post
                              Pokemon Musical and Movie Features....AWFUL
                              the ease with which you dismiss an almost totally optional part of the game as awful piques my curiosity. from what I recall, about 10 minutes of pokestar studios content was required to progress in the game, and the rest was voluntary. what in particular did you dislike so much about that?
                              Old December 6th, 2017 (10:51 AM).
                              Blathering Fool

Nature: Lax
                                I've been playing Pokemon since the early days of Generation 1, but I definitely can say that Generation 3 was my favorite and most memorable generation that I have ever played with. The game was beautiful for its time. It was colorful, exciting, and had many memorable locations and events within the game. It introduced my favorite generation of Pokemon, with what I believe to be some of the best Pokemon designs I have ever seen. The Pokemon of this generation appeared as tropical as the region suggests. The whole region had a real prominent tropical environment that was constant throughout the entire game and all of the traveling on the open Hoenn ocean was absolutely fun to me and did not feel like too much water travel, despite what many people say.
                                Generation 3 also introduced the single greatest post game ever introduced throughout the series which was the Battle Frontier in Emerald. I had spent more time playing Emerald and its Battle Frontier, than I have any other generation throughout the series. This was also the generation that first taught me what true competitive battling was. I had no understanding of how to play Pokemon competitively until I walked into the Battle Frontier for the first time. After getting absolutely destroyed in the Frontier as a kid, I wanted to o still be a great battler so I read and studied about Pokemon until I was able to breed and build my very first ever competitive team, and it took me months to get this team together due to the limited amount of information about competitive breeding at the time as well as tools and mechanics for breeding during this generation was so incredibly limited. I just invested so much time into this generation, that the most distinct memories I have of playing Pokemon we're from playing Sapphire and Emerald.

"Somewhere off in a distant world, an island exists, where the ocean only meets the sand, where the weather is always warm. An adventure begins, traveling from the vast lands into the deep seas, chasing into the heart of the tropics, where the plants are vibrant and the beasts are fantastic. We will find each other there, chasing the fleeting dreams of a land full of beauty and potential."
                                Old December 6th, 2017 (10:54 AM).

Quote:
                                  Originally Posted by Rainbow View Post
                                  the ease with which you dismiss an almost totally optional part of the game as awful piques my curiosity. from what I recall, about 10 minutes of pokestar studios content was required to progress in the game, and the rest was voluntary. what in particular did you dislike so much about that?
                                  Optional Features are part of what makes a game stand out. Points are added for good features, and points subtracted for poor ones.

Also I never said that I disliked anything about whether it is voluntary or not. Weird question.
                                  Old December 20th, 2017 (12:33 AM).

I'm of the opinion that there are no bad games and that people's favorite is usually their first. I used to dislike 3rd gen games but after Alpha/Omega came out I went back and got the greatest rush of nostalgia. 2nd Gen will always be my favorite though.

Quick Reply