• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] What do you think about getting the Shiny Charm early?

Years
If you are willing to give shiny charm earlier in the game, wouldn't be better to just rise the chance of shiny enconter?

Reactions: FL

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
I see no problem. There fangames who reduce a lot the shiny chance (even to 1 in 256).

These design differences helps for making each game more unique.

Last edited:

BadSamaritan

Gone Fishin'
Years
  • Seen Jun 8, 2023
Obviously whether it's a good or bad thing depends what kind of game it is, but I would say in terms of the usual 8 gym/E4 style structure, giving it out early is ill advised.

Namely because shiny Pokemon as a mechanic are meant to be a little extra side feature. And if you give out a shiny charm early on, it encourages people to stop what they're doing in-game and start shiny hunting, instead of finishing the main game first.

In addition, I don't think I'd be wrong in saying that 9 times out of 10, people who are shiny hunting are also looking for High IVs and or Egg moves. And of course those are that are hard(er) to obtain when you're only 2 gyms into the game, as opposed to post-game where you can fly anywhere, catch anything, and get helpful items like "Power" line of hold items that pass on IVs.

Bowlstir

Media Arts and Game Development
Years
I'm all for the reduced rate like 1 in 1000. 1 in 8000 is too rough. I usually just set the number in the script.

Back