• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Apocalyptic Dawn [M]

Years
Apocalyptic Dawn: Return of the Rockets

A/N: This is an alternate version of what happens in Kanto during the civil war. It's influenced by a combination of my very first fic and all of my other fan-fics.

Disclaimer: This fan-fiction, "Apocalyptic Dawn: Return of the Rockets", is my first alternate Kantonian-based story. The fic is rated M for violence, character deaths and moderate language. Pokémon is © Game Freak and Nintendo, 1995-2009. All other characters are © Kanto Lover.

List of Chapters

Book 1: The Beginning

Prologue
Chapter 1: Preparing for the Adventure
Chapter 2: The First Day
Chapter 3: Onwards to Pewter
Chapter 4: Victory over Brock!
Chapter 5: The Perils of Mt. Moon
Chapter 6: Chaos and the Second Gym Badge (Part 1: The Chosen Gather. Part 2: Teamwork)
Chapter 7: Kingpin's Departure
Chapter 8: Arrival in Vermillion
Chapter 9: Trainers Vs TR – Who will win?
Chapter 10: An Unexpected Teleportation

APOCALYPTIC DAWN: RETURN OF THE ROCKETS​

Summary:

Three years earlier, Kanto was a nation devastated by a revelation. Zapdos had announced to the other legendary birds that he intended to destroy the harmony, that he was leaving Kanto for good. Articuno and Moltres, the Titans of Ice and Fire, as well as Mew and Mewtwo tried to stop him. They were unsuccessful in their attempts, which Zapdos classified as "pitifully pathetic human words".

In the months that followed, it was revealed that Giovanni Walker had retired from Team Rocket and successfully reformed. Many people did not trust the ex-Team Rocket leader, fearing that the organization would once again try to call him back, like they had attempted in Johto. But the black-haired Italian man stayed true and eventually four Kanto Gym Leaders joined him. They formed an elite group known only as the KGL5.

It was around that time that Team Rocket went looking for another leader. They found one in a seventeen-year-old red-haired male. For the first time in their history, the organization now also had Pokémon Admins. The new leader had an insatiable thirst for power and was always guided by his advisor, a mysterious young man with spiky yellow hair…

Prologue:

Viridian City, spring, 2011…

If one was to step down the stairs of the Viridian Pokémon Mart's off limits area without knowing what was held down below, all they would see to their horror was a row of narrow tubes lined up against all four sides of the large underground area. The tubes spawned from the ground to near the ceiling; their contents inside would seem like nothing but dark, lifeless objects huddled in the clear water to minimize their size. Several bubbles would float up from time to time from the oxygen tanks installed down below, and at the very back of the cave, a large monitor attached to the rugged stone would flicker every once in a while with long streams of coded characters running one after the other.

However, for Professor Robert Jones, who knew what the area really held, he would take four certain steps to the left and flick on the switch hidden behind a panel of stone. He would then watch the lights descend down from the ceiling to illuminate the environment below. Sterile equipment, glistening white in the bright light of the room, would lead up to the many laptops sitting innocently on the large counters, their screens black as they hummed in sleep. Thick wires attached to the backs of them would slither over the tabletops to the cylinders against the walls where many Pokémon rested, floating in their drugged sleep, before separating to join up with the main screen at the back of the room.

Beside next to at least five black, thin computer screens rested a silver platter of tools that lay beside each other one by one, as clean as the day they were made. Their metal almost had a malevolent feel to them as they glinted off their reflections under the lamps. Several cabinets stood tight against each other, on both sides of the large screen that served as the main database. Each handle was locked tightly together by small, golden lockets.

Deep in an underground facility, experiments were being conducted and Pokémon were being cloned. Due to the processes involved, they gave off tremendous amounts of gamma radiation, a dangerous kind of wave. It is because of this radiation that the facility had to be located underground. The cloning was normally done at level seven and the average depth was around five thousand, six hundred metres. Professor Robert Jones, the head scientist, was currently working on cloning a Meowth. The process had been successful so far.

He waited for a few minutes and smiled faintly to himself when a Meowth – exactly as he had imagined it – appeared in the cloning tank beside him. The tiny cat, with pale cobalt fur spotted with lavender blotches and a gold trinket on its brow, slept serenely. Its small front legs and huge hind paws were seen underneath it in a curled, foetal position. The cloning tanks themselves were circular glass tubes and connecting the Pokémon to the tanks were thin, flexible wires. Each of the several dozen cloning tanks had a screen in front of them that displayed vital statistics in complex graphs and detailed charts. Percentages flashed across the screen, slowly rising.

Stopping work to have a well needed break, he strolled over to have a look at the work of his colleagues'. In one tank was a sound asleep Growlithe. The small, orange dog also lay in a foetal position. A mane of amethyst hair covered the top of its head, while below its chin was a large beard of the same fur. Black stripes covered its body, giving it a feline look, and the normally fluffy tail was actually two small, ribbon-like tails that swerved by movements known only to them.

Adjusting his glasses, Robert spoke to his colleague. "How is the progress of the Growlithe clone?"

"It's going well, sir," the junior scientist replied, trembling from a little excitement. "Its vital statistics are slow to rise, which is worrying. Other than that, everything is going according to plan."

"Very good," the head scientist answered back, placing a hand on his colleague's shoulder. Dressed in a white laboratory coat and black boots, with the traditional glasses that scientists wore, he had a look of power about him. "It doesn't really matter that its statistics are rising a bit too slowly, as it will reach one hundred percent sooner or later."

Turning away from the junior scientist, he faced the other cloning tanks and observed the rest of the scientists working on the other genetically engineered Pokémon. It looked as though Professor Robert Jones was about to speak, when he was interrupted by a hesitant cough.

Another junior scientist, whose scientific intellect was inferior to that of his superiors, raised his hand in a questioning way. Prone to talk out of turn, he carried on, regardless of the fact that Robert hadn't even turned his cold blue-eyed gaze on him. "Boss, who gave us all of this money in the first place?"

"You imbecile!" Professor Robert Jones started. "We will find that out in due time! For the moment, keep your head down, bottom up and get working!"

Shaking his head in dismay as he walked away, Jones couldn't help thinking. Some of these junior scientists are just not meant to be in the scientific workforce.

An hour later, the scientists had finished their work on the cloned Pokémon. Taking in each of the experiments' features didn't take long, and Professor Robert Jones nodded slowly. "This Treecko," he began, "what's the progress report on it?"

The Treecko was a small bluish-grey reptilian being. Its hands and feet had spikes on them. An outstandingly thick and cumbersome tail, more or less the length of its body, grew from its rear.

"It was one of the last to reach one hundred percent, sir," another scientist answered.

"I see," he replied.

"Sir," the junior scientist started off. "How will we know how strong these Pokémon are?"

"I'm not sure, Blake," Robert responded. "But I hope we find out soon enough."

Later, the ageing Professor Oak was having a conversation with an aide who had just come back from a secret mission. The Professor was old, and the aide young, but Oak still insisted that he was young-spirited.

Oak's greying hair was trimmed neatly, as it came down just short of his ears; whereas the aide's long brown hair came down to his shoulders and he also had the beginning of a goatee. Both Oak and the aide wore long white lab coats, but Oak's fell down to his black boots and the aide's stopped in between the knee and the ankle. The assistant also wore a short-sleeved grey v-neck jumper over a blue business shirt.

"How was everything? Were you able to smuggle a few of them away, Mike?" Professor Oak asked quietly, his voice a bit hoarse.

"It went perfectly," Mike answered. "And yes, I got a few of them with me. But being a double-crosser isn't easy. If they find out, we're history."

Mike paused and drew four gleaming, red and white Poké Balls from his pocket. "The majority of them were Kanto-based creatures, but there were others – from Johto, Hoenn and Sinnoh – who weren't native. The security cameras were malfunctioning as well, so that helped."

"Are these four worthy of being classified as you-know-what?" the researcher questioned, his grey eyes appearing to glint for a moment.

The aide looked at his mentor and nodded silently. He handed the four spheres over to Professor Oak, who placed them in the small dome. Mike looked away briefly, thinking of the scientists he had deceived, but was jerked out of his reverie by an expectant Professor.

"Did you not hear me? I asked which ones they were," the researcher repeated.

"Budew, Growlithe, Barboach and Shinx," the aide answered.

"Thank you for your time," Professor Oak replied, with a genuine smile on his face.

At the same time, he wondered what had been going on in his aide's head before he had had to repeat himself. But for now, the next Pokémon League season was rapidly approaching and that meant he would have to devote time to drafting up trainer cards.

That evening, the sunset cast long shadows over the town of Pallet. As Charles Ryder Harris, blonde-haired husband of Fiona, sat in his wheelchair on the back patio he reflected on how one incident changed his life forever.

All he had been doing was watching the Dratini evolve into Dragonair in the Fuchsia City Safari Zone. He believed he should've kept his eye on the Rhydon herd as well, because all of a sudden there was an explosion. They panicked and started stampeding in his direction. Even to this day he knew he should have gotten out of their way then, but he was still entranced with the evolving Dratini colony and he failed to realize that the herd's speed was deceptive. Because of that, he misjudged his escape time. They loomed ever closer; he tried to get out of their way, but it was too late. The herd steam-rolled over him and that's how he ended up the way he is today.

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
Years
Dratinicolony whut? Dratini are incredibly rare, even in the Safari Zone. It's anime canon that there's only one Dratini and one Dragonair in the Zone.

Anyway, good prologue, although I see little difference to the original, barring the first bit with Zapdos and stuffz.

Years
  • Seen Oct 19, 2013
Well... to comment on the new add-on, a couple of suggestions come to mind:

1. A scene change (***) should have been effected before starting.

2. No matter how much Dragonair pwn, i'd still keep an eye on the giant rock-plated rhino stampede heading my way.

3. Even if I didn't, i'd make it my business to stay out of the way of stampedes, knowing of their frequency in the Safari Zone, and being a 20 year old, somewhat wiser than the average rookie trainer.

Other than that, it was interesting to see you come back yet again with yet another redention of your fic. Your lab scene was much better written this time, i must admit. Again one problem (sorry, i'm full of them): the professor's were studying a Growlithe clone in the prologue, right? unless they had a couple more in say the reject archives for mike to traffick, it'd be rather easier to track a missing pokemon from the labs... unless they were unwittingly careless.

Well, that's it from me for now! Hope your back pains and writer's block go away real soon!

L@er!

Manaphyman

Sevii Trainer
Years
I think I agree with Shiny Mightyena(Air Dragon) in his assertions about the safari zone and Dratini and such. To me though, its just a minor problem that could be remedied with a quick fix in the near future.

I really enjoyed the clonning scene (with Growlithe), although something like vital signs slowly rising should alarm the scientists more. Some parts seemed a bit rushed, the Professor Oak scene could have been alaborated and described a whole lot more, as well as maybe a tiny expansion on the prologue. It ended to fast for me, I felt it was too short, even for a prologue. I liked the sense of impending doom, however.

Mike paused and drew four gleaming, red and white Poké Balls from his pocket. "The majority of them were Kanto-based creatures, but there were others – from Johto, Hoenn and Sinnoh – who weren't native. The security cameras were malfunctioning as well, so that helped."

"Are these four worthy of being classified as you-know-what?" the researcher questioned, his grey eyes appearing to glint for a moment.

The aide looked at his mentor and nodded silently. He handed the four spheres over to Professor Oak, who placed them in the small dome. Mike looked away briefly, thinking of the scientists he had deceived, but was jerked out of his reverie by an expectant Professor.

"Did you not hear me? I asked which ones they were," the researcher repeated.

"Budew, Growlithe, Barboach and Shinx," the aide answered.

"Thank you for your time," Professor Oak replied, with a genuine smile on his face.

This scene was rushed I think. I would have liked to see more face time for Oak and more emotions from him and Mike (great name, btw). Other than that, it looks like you started off on the right track. I'll be reading and reviewing.

Sorry for the short review, next time it'll be longer. :]

Feathing

Water Gym Master
Years
Well, I already read this and I told you already it was good, so I'll straight to the new parts.

I didn't get the Zapdos thing, but I guess you'll unveil all of that at its own time, right?
Besides, I think the paragraph about Charles Harris can be seen as a bit too much, 'cause you already told about Zapdos, about the laboratory and the scientist and about Oak and his aide, so that part could be better seen on the next chapter. Anyway, its your story, Im just giving my opinion.

Leaving all that behind, I liked. Its very descriptive (I will learn tones of new words xD ) and it was good to see that you changed the Pokemon. Budew, Growlithe, Barboach and Shinx are all really cool. I like them all and its evolutions as well.

So, well done and let me know when the next one is out!

delongbi

I C U
Years
I liked the beginning a lot, but I do have a few suggestions.

1. Spell check. I think you typed "foetal" at one point instead of fetal, and there were a few others...

2. I really like most of your description. However, to make the story more interesting, try blending the description in with the action. For instance:

Instead of writing: The girl had long, black hair and was wearing a banana-colored dress. She rushed forward to save the puppy.

Write: A girl with long, black hair rushed forward to save the puppy, despite the banana-colored dress hindering her stride.

That was kind of an extreme example, but hopefully you get the idea...

3. I found the following a bit strange:
At the same time, he wondered what had been going on in his aide's head before he had had to repeat himself. But for now, the next Pokémon League season was rapidly approaching and that meant he would have to devote time to drafting up trainer cards.

That evening, the sunset cast long shadows over the town of Pallet. As Charles Ryder Harris, blonde-haired husband of Fiona, sat in his wheelchair on the back patio he reflected on how one incident changed his life forever.

All he had been doing was watching the Dratini evolve into Dragonair in the Fuchsia City Safari Zone. He believed he should've kept his eye on the Rhydon herd as well, because all of a sudden there was an explosion. They panicked and started stampeding in his direction. Even to this day he knew he should have gotten out of their way then, but he was still entranced with the evolving Dratini colony and he failed to realize that the herd's speed was deceptive. Because of that, he misjudged his escape time. They loomed ever closer; he tried to get out of their way, but it was too late. The herd steam-rolled over him and that's how he ended up the way he is today.

I think you change focuses (or maybe point of views, in a way) a bit randomly. The end bit about why the Charles is in a wheelchair seems out of place to me.

Otherwise, I really enjoyed this writing. Keep up the good work!

Years
  • Seen May 11, 2016
If one was to step down the stairs of the Viridian Pokémon Mart's off limits area without knowing what was held down below, all they would see to their horror was a row of narrow tubes lined up against all four sides of the large underground area.
There should be a set of commas in the bold after 'see' and after 'horror'. If you read it as is, it sounds like you don't take a breath.

As I've said about a million times, this is not a good way to make a transition from one scene to another.

The Professor was old, and the aide young, but Oak still insisted that he was young-spirited.
I don't really see the point to this sentence.

Grammar-wise, you fixed many of the mistakes I've pointed out before (which is why it was so difficult to pick out the mistakes). I gotta wonder how there was a colony of Dratini, though.​

Years
Thus begins my review-replies…

Originally posted by Duskwire
Sounds awesome to me! Can't wait to read more.

Thank you very much for the review, Duskwire. Chapter 1 is being posted today.

Originally posted by Shiny Mightyena
Well... to comment on the new add-on, a couple of suggestions come to mind:
1. A scene change (***) should have been effected before starting.

*grimaces*

What am I supposed to do? You and AdvancedK9 insist on the (***), yet ShinjisLover prefers me not to use them. Do I just put in double spacing or do I do this (*-*-*-*-*)?

2. No matter how much Dragonair pwn, I'd still keep an eye on the giant rock-plated rhino stampede heading my way.

D'ya wanna know what caused them to stampede in the first place? That aside, more will be revealed in regards to that scene later on.

3. Even if I didn't, I'd make it my business to stay out of the way of stampedes, knowing of their frequency in the Safari Zone, and being a 20 year old, somewhat wiser than the average rookie trainer.

Charles is not actually Kantonian-born, but came to Kanto when he was a twelve-year-old. But yeah, you're right. Being in Kanto for 9 years (he was 23 when it happened) at that point in time, he should've remembered one of the basic rules of the Safari Zone.

Other than that, it was interesting to see you come back yet again with yet another rendition of your fic. Your lab scene was much better written this time, i must admit.

Why thank you, AD.

Again one problem (sorry, I'm full of them): the professor's were studying a Growlithe clone in the prologue, right? Unless they had a couple more in say the reject archives for mike to traffick, it'd be rather easier to track a missing Pokémon from the labs... unless they were unwittingly careless.

Yes, they were studying a Growlithe clone in the prologue. And yes, again, they did have a couple more Growlithe rejects.

Well, that's it from me for now! Hope your back pains and writer's block go away real soon!

L@er!

Thankies for the review, AD. Sadly, the ****ing back pains still plague me. However, you'll be pleased to hear that the writers' block has gone away. ^_^

Am looking forward to your review of Chapter 1.

Originally posted by Manaphyman
I think I agree with Shiny Mightyena (Air Dragon) in his assertions about the safari zone and Dratini and such. To me though, it's just a minor problem that could be remedied with a quick fix in the near future.

I really enjoyed the cloning scene (with Growlithe); although something like vital signs slowly rising should alarm the scientists more. Some parts seemed a bit rushed; the Professor Oak scene could have been elaborated and described a whole lot more, as well as maybe a tiny expansion on the prologue. It ended to fast for me; I felt it was too short, even for a prologue. I liked the sense of impending doom, however.

Do you think you could possibly give me some advice on how to improve these parts, MM? And thanks for liking the sense of impending doom.

This scene was rushed I think. I would have liked to see more face time for Oak and more emotions from him and Mike (great name, btw). Other than that, it looks like you started off on the right track. I'll be reading and reviewing.

Sorry for the short review, next time it'll be longer. :]

So you like Aide Mike, d'ya? ^_^

Before ya go saying I took Mike's name from your Mike, I didn't. Back when I was younger, Dad had a New Zealand friend called Mike, who's since gone back to NZ. That's where I got the name from.

Originally posted by Feathing
Well, I already read this and I told you already it was good, so I'll straight to the new parts.

I didn't get the Zapdos thing, but I guess you'll unveil all of that at its own time, right?

Yeppers, the Zapdos issue will reveal itself in due time.

Besides, I think the paragraph about Charles Harris can be seen as a bit too much, 'cause you already told about Zapdos, about the laboratory and the scientist and about Oak and his aide, so that part could be better seen on the next chapter. Anyway, it's your story, Im just giving my opinion.

If it was too much for you, Feathing, then I'm sorry. I'll think about that next time.

Leaving all that behind, I liked. It's very descriptive (I will learn tones of new words xD) and it was good to see that you changed the Pokemon. Budew, Growlithe, Barboach and Shinx are all really cool. I like them all and its evolutions as well.

^_^

I figured you would have been displeased if I'd put the Kanto starters again, so I rapidly scanned my Platinum handbook for two other possible starters. This is how I came up with Budew and Barboach.

So, well done and let me know when the next one is out!

Today, my friend, today!

Originally posted by delongbi
I liked the beginning a lot, but I do have a few suggestions.

1. Spell check. I think you typed "foetal" at one point instead of fetal, and there were a few others...

I seem to get this one a lot. "Foetal" is how we Australians spell it.

2. I really like most of your description. However, to make the story more interesting, try blending the description in with the action. For instance:

Instead of writing: The girl had long, black hair and was wearing a banana-colored dress. She rushed forward to save the puppy.

Write: A girl with long, black hair rushed forward to save the puppy, despite the banana-colored dress hindering her stride.

That was kind of an extreme example, but hopefully you get the idea...

I do, delongbi. Your advice is taken on board. I'll try harder next time.

3. I found the following a bit strange:
Quote:

I think you change focuses (or maybe point of views, in a way) a bit randomly. The end bit about why the Charles is in a wheelchair seems out of place to me.

Otherwise, I really enjoyed this writing. Keep up the good work!

Sorry about that. Maybe I'll implement some sort of scene break.

Originally posted by ShinjisLover
Quote:
If one was to step down the stairs of the Viridian Pokémon Mart's off limits area without knowing what was held down below, all they would see to their horror was a row of narrow tubes lined up against all four sides of the large underground area.
There should be a set of commas in the bold after 'see' and after 'horror'. If you read it as is, it sounds like you don't take a breath.

I'll fix that, don't you worry.

Quote:
As I've said about a million times, this is not a good way to make a transition from one scene to another.

How else, SL, am I sposed to initiate a scene break? Could you see my earlier comment to determine if you like my suggestion?

Quote:
The Professor was old, and the aide young, but Oak still insisted that he was young-spirited.
I don't really see the point to this sentence.

I'll change it then.

Grammar-wise, you fixed many of the mistakes I've pointed out before (which is why it was so difficult to pick out the mistakes). I gotta wonder how there was a colony of Dratini, though.

Thanks for the compliment. That scene was a flashback to when Charles was 23. Shortly after Charles' accident, the Warden shipped out all the Dragonair and left a lone Dratini there.

With out further ado, here's Chapter 1...

Chapter 1: Preparing for the Adventure

Saffron City, autumn, 2012…

In the centre of the Kanto region stands the majestic Saffron City, capital citadel to the region. Nestled deep in the forbidding region's heart and partially concealed by chilly cirrus clouds, this capital's crown jewel was a fantastic castle, not unlike those of fantasy told before. It had been built to replace the old, dilapidated Silph Co. building.

Construction of the brand-new Silph Co., on the eastern side of the metropolis, was set to finish very soon. Standing the test of time, warfare and more, Saffron Castle was the home to the royal family of the land, the Regans, along with their servants and advisors.

With guards and sentries rounding the borders and walkways, it seemed that it would be impossible to enter without permission. The guards who patrolled the walkways were clad in red armour that was representative of the royal military.

"Are you sure there's nothing we can do?" the youngest girl asked from across the large, dining room table. The azure-haired princess looked to the side and at Arthur, waiting for an answer.

Her mother, Eleanor, had no reply. Victoria's uniform had largely the same scheme as her mother's; the only exception was that it was adorned with a pattern invocative of deadly beauty in bright red. It was these crimson clothes that indicated the eleven-year-old's desire to be an officer in the cavalry one day.

"There's nothing you can do," Arthur replied, his fourteen-year-old face creasing in annoyance. It was clear to see he was dressed in navy-blue clothing and an amethyst-coloured cape. An expensive gold chain, the cloak of which was draped over his shoulders, held this together. The truth was plain and simple; he was tired of being bossed around by his sister and parents. He didn't want to do the boring political work they forced upon him. "I want to leave the castle and travel around Kanto."

"It won't be so bad, Arthur," the cerulean-haired Eleanor tried to convince him. She was determined, but not as much as Arthur was. She was dressed in a white long-sleeved uniform adorned with a cold geometric pattern that embellished an R-shape on her front, the collar scraping gently below her rather gaunt jaw. "You can not go on a journey. How many times have I expressed dislike of this idea of yours?"

Arthur had had enough. "No!" He raised his voice as he slammed his fist down on the table. He rose to his feet swiftly, his royal cape flowing around him. The other hand fished a Poké Ball from an inner pocket and he held it close to him. This is it, old friend. It's time, he thought.

Eleanor sat in her chair, upset at Arthur's behaviour. "No worries, Mother," Victoria tried to comfort her mother. "He'll come around eventually." The guards were able to overhear everything that had gone on.

"Out of my way," Arthur commanded firmly, as the guards tried to block him from leaving. "Move or else!"

"I'm sorry, Arthur, but it's our duty to keep you from leaving!" one of the guards shouted as he continued to block Arthur from leaving.

Don't make me resort to using my Pokémon, the royal teen thought.

"Did you hear that?" Eleanor asked Victoria.

Victoria stood up, looking out the window. She watched as the guards tried to stop Arthur from leaving the royal palace. It's all in vain, she thought, he'll get through.

A scream was heard then, but Arthur couldn't be bothered looking back. The guards had tried to stop him, and they had paid the price. Fragments of ice littered the palace's front grounds.

Victoria held back a slight gasp as she recognized the rhombus-shaped patches of emerald-green fur and diamond-shaped ears. He used Iceheart?! That's against palace rules! She frowned and looked down at her brother in annoyance.

"What happened?" Eleanor asked, looking concerned.

Victoria said "Iceheart," and simply walked away from the window. The guards were injured, but she knew it would happen.

A figure clad all in black appeared in the palace room in a flash of blinding light. "Your command, Your Majesty?" the person asked telepathically.

"There's nothing that I can do. Just track him. For now," she replied, looking toward the ground in deep contemplation.

The Psychic nodded, before teleporting away, with "As you wish, Your Highness." fading quickly.

"Mother… will he really be okay?" Victoria questioned, looking up.

Eleanor paused for a moment, before finally speaking up, "… we can only hope."

Pallet, a few minutes later…

The town of Pallet was relatively small in comparison to the other cities and townships in Kanto. Most of the houses were built from wood, with the exception of a row of brick houses on the eastern boundary of town, which belonged to the families with lots of money. The sun rose steadily in the sky, lighting up and warming the town as a small breeze wafted along, drying clothes which were hanging on various clotheslines and rustling leaves on trees.

Professor Oak was one of the most highly regarded Pokémon researchers in the world. He had won the Kanto region's Indigo League – a tournament held every five years at the furthest point north-west in Kanto – twice and had dedicated his life to the study of Pokémon, their habitats, lifestyles and interactions with their trainers. Since he was always known as the most renowned Pokémon expert in the entire world, the citizens of Pallet Town had always considered it an honour that he had continued to work in his home. Visitors felt that Professor Oak's Pokémon laboratory was the only real attraction in the town. It wasn't so much a tourist attraction, but more a place where interesting Pokémon events and discoveries occurred.

Pallet Town was hardly ever bustling except when the newest Pokémon trainers graduated from the magnet school – usually at the age of ten. The school taught the core subjects such as math, science, history, reading language arts, and so on, as well as courses involving studies of Pokémon, which ranged from raising, training, breeding and battling of Pokémon. Their journeys would usually start by travelling north to Viridian City, as it was the closest city to Pallet and the only city accessible by going on foot. Nothing but deep forest lay to the east and west, and the south was a large stretch of water where Cinnabar Island resided.

As the sun rose even higher, shouting was heard from within a house on the eastern boundary of town.

"Josephine! If you don't get out of bed right now and come downstairs, then Eevee will have to go up there and wake you up!" shouted a forty-one year old woman with pale red hair and hazel eyes which burned with fiery impatience. She wore a bright red sleeveless top and blue three-quarter pants. This was Fiona Harris, mother of a Pokémon trainer-to-be. She was a very kind and caring person, but she didn't want her daughter to miss out on one of the most important days of her life.

"Oh well! Eevee, if you don't mind, could you please wake her up so that she's not late for her big adventure?" Fiona asked the creature standing next to her, who happened to be the family pet. The Pokémon was small and fox-like in appearance; his tiny body was brown in colour with creamy coloured neck fur and his face wore a hardened, serious expression. Two long, rabbit-like ears, which emanated from the top of his head, twitched periodically as he listened to the human's request.

<No problem. In fact, I would have done it myself even if you hadn't asked,> replied Eevee. He swiftly sprang up the wooden staircase, bounding down the long hallway, and hurled his small body against a door at the end of the hall. He glanced up at it, rushed inside and grumbled to himself, because even after making that entire racket to come to the girl's room, she still hadn't woken up.

Josephine Harris was born into a rich family as the third child of four. Unlike other children from wealthy families, she wasn't overly spoiled. As with all of the other children in Pallet, she studied at the Pokémon Trainers' Academy. However, instead of beginning her journey at the age of ten – which was the minimum legal age – she chose to hang around Professor Oak's lab for four years, for a variety of reasons. The major one being that she'd studied about the different types of Pokémon and learning more which would, in the end, help her a lot in her upcoming journey.

Three walls of her room were made of brick – which had been painted a light green colour – and were completely devoid of anything, with the exception of a wooden framed unicorn picture on the wall opposite her bed and a painting of a girl feeding some duck-like Pokémon in the country on the right-hand side wall. On the third were posters of her favourite Pokémon. The last wall consisted of a security grill protected sliding door.

It was behind the sliding door that an oddly shaped gray table was positioned with the girl's laptop and story writing material on it. She had only one laptop – but she badly wanted the Internet on it, so she wouldn't have to keep going down to the local library. A reasonable sized TV and DVD/VCR combo rested near the printer she owned, with two Nintendo DS consoles sitting on top of a spare old-styled school desk.

<Forgive me for this, Ho-oh, but I've got a lazy person who won't even get off her behind. Bloody hell, Josephine, wake up!> Eevee said loudly.

Seeing that he got no reaction, Eevee's eyes narrowed and an evil sort of smirk appeared on his face, as he said <Sorry, kid, you asked for it!>

After saying that, the Pokémon jumped onto the girl's bed and tore off the covers with his paws. He then placed his fluffy brown tail in front of the girl's nose and proceeded to tickle the olfactory. Moments later, a loud sneeze ripped through the air, as Josephine sat up and wondered what sort of pollen had drifted through her open window.

Seeing the brown coloured fox sitting on her bed with his tail curled around his body, she asked "Why did you do that?" seemingly appearing to forget that today she was to leave Pallet to begin her journey.

<We have to get downstairs and you need to get ready for your journey. Remember?> the fox-like Pokémon gently reminded the girl.

"You make it sound like the Pokémon Trainers' Academy. But I know that this journey is going to be a lot better. Okay, let's go," Josephine answered, smiling at the family pet.

She moved Eevee off her and jumped out bed, as she headed towards her ensuite. The red-haired girl opened the door, closing it upon entering and then turned on the water.

After showering herself, Josephine proceeded to dry off her thin frame of medium height and build. She then rubbed the moisture out of her hair, allowing the wet strands to fall to her shoulders, and then dried and brushed it until it was in a suitable enough position for her to wrap a hair tie around it, creating a pony-tail look.

She went over to her closet and removed two hangers, one of which held a bright red sleeveless top, with the other holding a sky-blue miniskirt. The teen dressed herself, before slipping her feet into a pair of brown boots, and casually placed her black sunglasses over her hazel coloured eyes. In the past, she had received criticism from her peers as they wondered why she had come to classes with her sunglasses on, but she ignored them, as it was just a strange mannerism of hers to do that.

Placing her digital watch on the wrist of her left arm, she headed down the hall.

Heading into the reasonably large kitchen and preparing herself a bowl of cereal, she spotted her mother relaxing on the cyan sofa. After eating, she then checked to ensure that her bright yellow backpack with the imprint of a Poké Ball on the side was packed. Finding out that everything was in there, she placed the breakfast bowl in the sink, ran some water in it and headed to the door.

"Honey, wait," the voices of Josephine's parents spoke up. The girl's mother rose from the sofa as her father wheeled himself into the room. The masculine toned voice had come from Charles, Fiona's husband.

Saying goodbye was going to be difficult and sad.

"Yeah?" the teen turned and looked at her parents as tears started to form in her eyes.

"It's good to see that you are finally ready. Professor Oak rang and said he wants you to meet him at his lab," Fiona told her, apprehensive that her daughter was finally setting off. She was worried that what had happened to her husband could possibly happen to Josephine as well. Her expression showed narrowed eyes and a slight frown.

Josephine stood there with a puzzled look on her face, wondering what the researcher needed to give her, but then it clicked. "Of course!" Josephine mentally slapped herself for forgetting such a simple thing.

As she was about to run to the lab, she remembered that this would be the last time she saw her parents before she left. She turned around and looked at them. "Mum, Dad… this is goodbye for now. I'll miss you."

Her father stared desperately at her, while her mother placed a hand on her shoulder and answered, "Yes, we'll miss you, too. You have grown up incredibly fast, Josephine, and we understand that you want to go on this journey."

"All right, I'll see you later, guys."

"Goodbye, dear. Know that whatever happens, I'll always think of you as a Pokémon Master, because you went and attempted to accomplish your dream," Fiona said, as she smiled at her daughter. Charles manoeuvred his wheelchair backwards, determined to talk to Fiona in private once Josephine had left.

Just before Josephine set off, she gave her mother one last farewell hug, allowing the tears to freely flow down her cheeks.

Wiping away the tears, Josephine started walking towards the research facility that was run by Professor Oak.

After trudging along for about ten minutes, she finally arrived at the location of the building. The lab's foundations were on top of a hill that was accessible by a long stairway, which took one to the entrance of the lab. It was a two-story ivory edifice that had a maroon roof, which, from the top, allowed one to view the landscape as far as the eye could see.

There was a lake to the east of the hill and to the south was an untamed forest with no paths. The forest was cut short by an open range, which was met in the north by rocks and boulders. There were Pokémon scattered all over the landscape.

Josephine rang the doorbell and waited, because she knew that Professor Oak wouldn't be able to rush to answer the door. The wooden door opened a few minutes later.

"Ah, Josephine! Come to collect your Pokémon, Pokédex and Poké Balls, have you?" Professor Oak questioned.

"Yes, Professor," she replied.

"Right this way, then," he answered, as he turned and led the red-haired girl into the lab. The first thing that was seen when entering was an array of bookshelves that were stacked against the wall, stretching from one corner of the room to the other.

To the right were small computers that blinked with all sorts of dazzling lights, with the monitors scrolling down with data that she could only guess was the research that Professor Oak and his assistants had compiled.

In the middle, between the computers, was a rather large door. It was used to go out to care for or to study the Pokémon that were kept at the lab.

To the left was a very large storage room in which the Poké Balls that contained the Pokémon were kept. One could only guess how many were amassed there.

At the top of the staircase to the right of the Poké Ball storage room, the upper level was desolate except for three bookshelves that were lined up against the left wall; an enormous computer that took up the entire southern wall and finally, a small dome which was the place where the Poké Balls were kept.

"Professor, there you are! We have everyone here, sir," one of Oak's aides appeared when they entered the large room which contained the small dome.

"Very good, John. Any news of the others?"

"Rachel Savina has already been and gone, collecting her Pokémon, Pokédex and Poké Balls along the way. You already know about Paul's hasty departure," John answered.

"Good. Now, Josephine, I have a few important things to give you. They are your Pokémon, Pokédex and Poké Balls."

Taking a deep breath and trying not to become too excited, she asked "Can... can I look at it? Properly, I mean?"

Picking up the last red and white sphere, Professor Oak issued a command. "Go, Shinx!"

Emerging from the Poké Ball was a creature covered in blue fuzz called Shinx. Her stout feline body and short azure fur shivered from the wind, which was coming from the open windows. While her tail and ears glowed bright yellow, useful in dark places, it was hardly noticeable once they were outside. Hissing, the Shinx leaned down on her front legs, her yellow bands gleaming in the sunlight.

Then, the researcher handed her a large red electronic device, which looked like a calculator and five small balls. The Professor allowed Josephine the time to register her partner's data into her Pokédex.

"Shinx, the Flash Pokémon – a Pokémon of the Electric type. Shinx's forelegs have a muscle-based system of generating electricity. Their bodies shine if endangered," the device reported in a monotonous voice.

"Let me explain what I handed to you before," Professor Oak began, just as the newbie trainer recalled her starter.

"The large red device that you hold in your hands is what I call a Pokédex. A lot of research by my colleagues and I was done and we were finally able to release a small hand-held device. It will record information about any wild Pokémon, including its type and special attacks. Thus, its pages will be filled."

He then pointed to the five small balls.

"These are crucial to capturing Pokémon, so please pay close attention. If you fail to capture a Pokémon with the same ball five times, it will break. Also, note that you can only carry around six Pokémon with you at any given time."

"How much do these items cost?" Josephine asked.

"About two hundred Pokédollars for each sphere… and I think the Potions are a little dearer," the researcher answered.

"I'll keep that in mind," the fourteen-year-old red-haired girl answered. "I won't let you down, Professor. I've never been more ready for anything else."

"Very good…" he replied.

She walked back through the building and out the front door, waving goodbye to Professor Oak as she did so. Then, she looked up as she began to walk down the road, away from her house. The sun was now in plain view, almost blinding from where she was standing and the grass was glimmering as the dew dropped from each blade.

Josephine's Pokémon journey, as well as the day, was just beginning. She had her first Pokémon, and already knew where she was to go next – Viridian City. Now with determination in her hazel eyes, she continued to look at the sky. As an official trainer, she then looked down at the orb which contained her partner.

"Shinx, you are my key to becoming one of the best," the teen murmured, smiling proudly.

Feathing

Water Gym Master
Years
I think that I have read this before, but you made some changes didn't you?
And I'm still wondering what Pokemon does Arthur have xD

Anyway, I can only say keep writing. I won't say anything about grammar and that stuff 'cause I think you write very well, besides I don't know that much about grammar xD

The description on Pallet Town was very good to me, is exactly what I imagine on the little town ^^

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
Years
I'm really enjoying this fic so far. :D You have a very compelling style of writing, and your characters are interesting, as is the developing plot. ^^

Years
Thanks for the review, Citrinin. I will be going back eventually and aligning the cities' names in accordance with my RP.

Here's Chapter 2...

Chapter 2: The First Day

Charles turned his wheelchair around so that it faced Fiona. "Let us hope that she does not make the same mistakes as her brother," he stated, trying to keep his voice from shaking.

Fiona placed a hand on her husband's shoulder. Rowan had been a trainer before his younger sister had and, unfortunately for him, had distanced himself from the family. He hadn't been heard from since. She wanted to believe that Josephine would not get mixed up in whatever had happened to Rowan, but couldn't be sure.

"How long has Rowan been gone now, Mum?" Natalie asked in a high-pitched voice, as she ran into the room. The nearly ten-year-old Nat – as Josephine called her – was the youngest Harris and often wore a purple short-sleeved polo shirt and red skirt. Being just short of the minimum legal age, she was too young to receive a starter Pokémon at the moment, but would be able to start her journey soon.

"Too long," Charles cut in.

"We last heard from him three years ago," Fiona answered, sighing thoughtfully as she turned to look out the window.

Not that long after Josephine had left Pallet Town, her Pokédex began to vibrate, indicating an incoming video message. She quickly fished it out of her pocket and peered at the sender's number in the video-messaging list. The word 'mum' flashed on and off with an unopened envelope next to it. Pressing the play button, the teen waited.

Her mother's familiar face filled the screen, with Eevee curled up on top of her head.

"Hello, dear," the image on screen said.

"Hey, Mum," the redhead answered.

"Rachel rang me the very minute you left. She said that she'd gotten in touch with Paul, and that both of them will wait for you in the Volfrost City Pokémon Centre. Both of them also have one extra partner, so try to at least catch another Pokémon yourself, okay?"

The teen sighed heavily. "I'll try, Mum. Don't worry, okay?"

Fiona smiled. "Okay. Oh, that must be the postman. I have to go now, dear. Take care!" The message then cut out, leaving the red-haired girl wondering what her mother could be so excited about.

As Josephine continued walking down the path to Volfrost City, the morning air was warming up and a flock of Pidgey was still twittering the dawn chorus in their melodious way. Half an hour later, after disappearing into the tall grass of Route 1 because she was getting more and more irritated at not being able to find any Pokémon, the red haired teen decided to stop and rest.

Her impatience got the better of her and she swore. "This just ****ing sucks! Why haven't I found anything yet?!" Josephine muttered out loud, as she shook her head angrily. "Where are they…?" she added, as she reached into her bright yellow backpack for the book her mother had most likely placed there. Just as she arrived at the part on Pokémon capturing, the lone Poké Ball on her belt wriggled and burst open.

The light alighted on terra firma to materialize into Josephine's first ever Pokémon.

"I need your help, Shinx," Josephine murmured, while stroking the lion-cub's soft fur.

"Shii?" The Electric type asked, saying "Me?" in her language.

The fourteen-year-old redhead looked at her starter oddly. "Did you understand me? Or is it that I can't understand you?"

"Shinx Shii!" The female Shinx answered, happy that the teen had worked out that they needed to bond and be friends before the Pokémon could be understood.

Oh well, that's one problem that's been sorted out, Josephine thought. "Can you find some wild Pokémon for me?" she asked politely, though her eyes betrayed her anxiety.

"Shii!" Shinx growled, telling the red-haired teen that she was not a sniffer dog and would not degrade herself by doing something that was meant for them. To show her irritation, she spat and hissed madly.

Josephine crouched down and put one hand on the side of the female lion-cub's face. "Please, Riley? For me?"

Josephine's sincerity was genuine enough it threw the Shinx's tantrum out the window. The Pokémon even recognized that the trainer had given her a nickname. Riley hesitated, murmuring "Shii…" as she did so.

Josephine opened her mouth to speak, but stopped upon noticing a Pokémon stumble into her line of sight. It was a small yellow and white shrew, which was visibly trembling. The Ground type had black eyes, a short inward curving tail and stubby, pointed ears. As it uttered drawn out, squeaky cries of "Shrew!" Josephine noticed that the poor creature was distracted and had no idea its path had brought it to a trainer.

"That's a Sandshrew!" Josephine spoke softly while referring to her Pokédex. "According to the Pokédex, they're not even supposed to be on Route 1." She flicked the device closed and glanced at the Sandshrew, before turning to her Pokémon with a firm expression on her enthusiastic face. "We can't just leave it here. We should try and capture it and take it to the Pokémon Centre in Volfrost City for a health check."

The Sandshrew heard Josephine. Glaring at Riley indifferently as if to say <You aren't worth my time.>, he nevertheless straightened his posture and held up his claws, before lunging at the Shinx.

That's a Scratch attack, the red-haired girl thought. "Riley, dodge and then use Tackle!"

<I can't let them have perished for nothing. I must remain free,> the shrew thought.

Riley agilely circumvented the emotion-spurred attack. The Electric type ran forward, with her claws outstretched. She then delivered a single strike to Sandshrew's chest. Shrugging off the Tackle attack, as if it hadn't struck him at all, the clearly troubled shrew charged forward once more. It was at this moment that Josephine realized that it was more than just emotion that had goaded the Ground type into action. She knew that he would fight to the death to uphold more than just his honour.

"Shinx, Shii! Shinx, Shirar!" Riley's speech was once again out of character for the cheeky, Kantonian-born Sinnoh Pokémon. The Electric type's speech had fulfilled its intended purpose, however. His anger rising, the emotional Sandshrew leaped up and fell onto Riley, forcing her to use her claws to defend herself.

Jeez, that's gotta hurt, Josephine shook her head slightly and winced at the sight of her Pokémon crashing into a nearby tree.

"Shin!" Riley said, winded, before recovering enough to rise to her clawed paws. Sandshrew had survived the 'crash landing' as he had curled up into a ball before impact. Uncurling himself, he marched over to where Riley was and thrust a clawed paw at the Electric feline's throat, who froze at the action.

Relatively uncommunicative as he was, his lone sentence that day would be what stood out in the Shinx's mind for many a day to come. <Don't… insult… shrews.> Sandshrew's breathing was laboured and raspy, as if just saying those three words hurt that badly.

Oh-kay, I think it's time I kicked it up a notch, Josephine believed it was time to rack up a capture and be on her way to Volfrost. "All right, Riley! Let's go! Give it all you've got!" the fourteen-year-old girl yelled, before Sandshrew could muster up a counter-attack.

"Shii!" The Electric feline replied decisively. The Shinx let out a frustrated cry and let loose a ferocious lunge attack that completely caught the Ground type off guard. Riley barrelled into the sandy coloured shrew and fastened her minute fangs on his throat. Clamping down, a bit of blood spurted out.

Wha-? Whoa! I didn't think Riley had it in her! Josephine looked shocked.

<You'll pay for that,> the shrew vowed mentally, as he looked himself over after pushing the cat Pokémon away. One paw defiantly wiped away a tiny amount of blood and he was starting to weaken, thanks to the throat bite. He tensed, his arms raising his sharp claws as he prepared for another attack.

Bugger, what now? The red-haired trainer thought, panicking slightly. That Sandshrew is still going strong, he's not slowing down at all! I suppose I could make use of Scratch, but still…

"Riley! Here's what we're gonna do! Dodge Sandshrew's current attack and counter with a Tackle and Leer combination!" Josephine yelled out.

"Shirar," the female feline answered.

For what she hoped was the last time today, Riley took a step forward and widened her yellow eyes. The Sandshrew opened his mouth in a silent gasp as the effects of the Leer attack seized him and he shivered involuntarily. Then, as the shrew struggled to regain his composure, Riley rushed in and, with a few well-placed bodily shoves, managed to reduce his energy even more.

<I've failed them,> was the shrew's last thought before falling to the grassy ground. One paw was all that was supporting him as he breathed arduously.

Josephine heaved an empty Poké Ball at the yellow and white being that was doubled over on the ground. After several seconds of struggling, Sandshrew finally resigned himself to capture.

"YEAH! WE CAUGHT SANDSHREW!" Josephine cheered, reaching for her newest Pokémon's containment device and smiling widely.

At that exact moment, as if it had delayed responding on purpose, Josephine's Pokédex switched itself on and recorded Sandshrew's information. "Sandshrew, the Mouse Pokémon – a Pokémon of the Ground type. To protect itself from attackers, Sandshrew curls up into a ball. They live in arid regions with minimal rainfall."

"Shrii?" Riley asked, just as Josephine face faulted.

"SERIOUSLY, PEOPLE!" the teen screamed in annoyance. "Why the hell didn't my Pokédex tell me that before I tried to catch Sandshrew?!"

As the trainer and partner Pokémon continued on down the path towards Volfrost, neither of them noticed the lifeless, bloodied bodies of two Sandslash. In an exceptionally thick patch of Route 1's tall grass, a hulking figure watched their departure.

<She could be trouble,> he thought. <I'd better warn Lord R…>

"You're such a cutie!" Josephine squealed, not even stopping to think about how Professor Oak had obtained her Shinx.

Crouching down, the red-haired teen gently rubbed the feline on her head; in response, the female Shinx purred happily and nuzzled in closer against the girl's soft touch. This moment of happy bonding continued for some time, until Josephine looked at her digital watch and exclaimed in surprise. "Look at the time! I suppose we better keep heading towards Volfrost City. I don't wanna keep Rachel and Paul waiting too long."

In holding up the red and white sphere in front of her partner's face, the unspoken question of 'did she want to go back inside?' was raised. Shinx shook her head, indicating that she didn't want to return to its confines at the moment.

"Mission status, Zenas?" a low voice emanated from a walkie-talkie.

A tall young man with spiky yellow hair swiftly answered. "Preparations are nearly complete. An ex-student of Koga's will move in and carry out his assigned task tonight," he responded. His voice was husky and he spoke in a hushed tone as he nonchalantly leaned against a wall.

"Excellent job, well done," the other man replied, before moving onto specifics. "Start wrapping things up and come back to HQ. Besides that, where are you?"

"I'm leaning on a wall of Professor Oak's laboratory in Pallet Town."

"Just hurry up. I'll check back for your status later."

With the last command given, the walkie-talkie went silent.

At the Volfrost City Police Station, two police-trained Rapidash were tethered to a railing. Their fine white coats glistened in the afternoon sunlight. But what caught the eye more were the flames, seemingly leaping off of the Pokémons' haunches, from the tip of their tails to the top of their heads. The heads were held high, with the fine-tipped horns pointed straight for the heavens, while enshrouded with the tremendous manes of fire.

One of the equine Pokémon, a quiet-natured stallion, turned his majestic head and spoke rapidly to the mare in Spanish. <Tan oyó usted las noticias de nuestros dueños? El rumor lo tiene ese Cohete de Equipo ha tenido una resurrección. ¡Cómo horrorizar! A semejanza de miradas habrá mucho más patrulla de ahora en adelante.>

<Damn it, Rodrigo! Speak English, for hoof's sake!> The mare snapped back, rolling her eyes in frustration.

<As you wish, la dama Penelope,> Rodrigo replied, using his Spanish charm to get the mare to look at him. <I said, "So did you hear the news from our owners? Rumour has it that Team Rocket has had a resurrection. How horrifying! Looks like there'll be a lot more patrols from now on.">

<Indeed, there will be more patrols,> Lady Penelope countered, her irritation slowly fading. Raising her head slightly, she recognized the figures of their owners walking briskly out of the station. <Look sharp, Rodrigo!> she snorted.

"Ready the units, Officer Prius!" A feminine-toned voice commanded as the two officers mounted their chargers, after untying them.

"Yes, ma'm!" A young male answered back, in the same sharp, crisp tone befitting a member of the police force.

"You will be in charge of the Volfrost and Leavane units. Failure is not tolerated!" The woman, clearly of a higher rank than the newly enlisted policeman, ordered.

"Understood, ma'm!" Officer Prius shouted, before convincing Rodrigo to set off with a flick of the reins.

Hiding behind a cedar tree was a shadowy figure. He continued to observe the red-haired teen as he crept closer and closer.

"Shirar!" the female Shinx's cry was urgent, as her trainer heard a twig break and jerked herself around to be confronted by a man. Sporting black hair, he appeared to be of foreign descent. Snugly fitted on his face was a pair of black-rimmed reading glasses. He wore a long sleeved gray striped business shirt and blue denim shorts, with the whitest of white sandshoes covering his feet.

"Who are you?" Josephine asked suspiciously. "And why are you stalking me?"

"Shii," Riley uttered a drawn-out growl as she expressed her intense dislike for this man. Something about him seemed familiar, but she couldn't quite place it.

"My name not important to you," the man replied. "Neither is reason why I stalk you. But what you know anyway? You just young girl who not know anything."

Like hell your name is important! Josephine thought angrily, as her hazel eyes widened to hear how disrespectfully the foreigner spoke to her.

"Riley, Juri – get ready!" the redhead instructed, finally giving her Sandshrew a nickname. "How DARE you speak to me like that?! I'll have you know that I graduated second in my class and I could easily thrash you, you noob!" Having been insulted by the stranger, Josephine was really riled up. One hand was in a clawing position, and the other had been thrust upon her hip.

<He's in for it now…> Riley thought, tensing her muscles in readiness for battle. Weakened as he was, it appeared as though Juri had regained a small amount of strength as he burst out of the Poké Ball and took his place beside the female Shinx.

"You two, it is go time!"

Both Pokémon stepped up next to their trainer, with Riley having small sparks of electricity shoot from her azure fur as she bared her teeth.

"You want battle, hey?" the man taunted Josephine, before releasing the only two Pokémon he possessed.

A flash of red energy revealed a bipedal, tapir-shaped creature with a lazy face and appearance. It waved its four fingered hands around in a circular motion, making the air distort slightly. The bottom half of its body, other than its toes, was black and the rest of it was golden.

The other Pokémon was a black dog-like being with a tan muzzle. It snapped and barked loudly, showing sharp white teeth with drool dripping from them. Upon seeing that its opponents were the diminutive Shinx and Sandshrew, the Houndour prepared for a battle.

"The name Jin, by the way," the man finally publicized his name.

"A pleasure, I'm sure," Josephine replied sarcastically.

"Get them!" Jin commanded his two Pokémon.

"Riley, Juri – Bite and Scratch!"

The female Shinx ran towards the Drowzee and bit into his flesh firmly, while the male Sandshrew lunged at the Houndour, scratching the Dark and Fire type canine several times before a small storm of embers forced him to back away.

Drowzee's black eyes widened upon feeling Riley bite him and the Psychic type retaliated with a blue blast of mental energy that is the technique known as Confusion. The move sent the Electric type flying backwards, but her hind paws dug into the soil, which slowed her movements and prevented her from crashing into an oak tree.

"Tackle and Scratch! Keep it up, you two! You're going great!" Josephine congratulated her partners.

The redhead's two Pokémon swapped targets. As Riley rammed her head into Houndour's side, it caused the small canine to become winded. He lay on all fours, trying to get his breath back.

"Quick, Riley! Thunder Fang Houndour!" the teen instructed, not wanting to lose the advantage she had.

The female Shinx wasn't about to let that happen and she bit into the thick black fur, releasing electricity into the dog's nervous system. A choked gasp came from Houndour's mouth as an electric shock flowed through his body. Having recovered from the earlier attack, Houndour retaliated with an Ember firestorm. Riley tried to dodge it, but she ended up taking a glancing blow. She responded by unleashing another Thunder Fang on Houndour, which proved to be the final straw for the Dark and Fire type. He fainted in front of Riley, his energy completely spent.

Working as a team, albeit Juri was a bit unwilling, Riley and the male Sandshrew now advanced on Drowzee. The Psychic type was proving to be particularly difficult in defeating.

Feinting to the left, Riley was able to trick Drowzee and she quickly lunged in from the right. She used Bite on the Psychic type's arm once again, while Juri madly scratched his opponent until his eyes rolled backwards in his head and he collapsed on his back.

"WHOOHOO!" Josephine screamed happily. "I won!" she declared proudly.

Realizing Jin wouldn't give her any prize money, she continued a little way down the path. She stopped and looked back at him, as he was sitting on the side of the path, defeated. "Don't ever underestimate a Pokémon trainer on a mission," she said to him, feeling really proud of herself.

Continuing on down the path a bit more, Josephine heard a clip-clopping sound. Before she could even wonder about who Jin really was, a Rapidash came into sight, carrying a policewoman.

Dressed in a suit, which showed off various shades of blue, the woman dismounted her steed. "Good day to you. I'm Superintendent Tyler from the Volfrost City Police Station. I heard that there was a suspicious person in the area. Could you tell me where they may have gone?"

Suspicious person? Josephine thought. I've merely battled one person today and… of course! Jin! "I'm only a beginner trainer, but I battled a stranger who seemed very suspicious. I left him just back there," she replied, pointing behind her.

Remounting her Rapidash, the policewoman questioned the teen for her name and the red-haired girl readily gave it. Superintendent Tyler then thanked Josephine for her help and asked that she pass on a message to Paul. The message being that Tyler wanted Josephine to tell Paul, who she revealed as her son, that she would visit him soon. After Josephine agreed to be the message-bearer, the woman rode off.

An hour later, Josephine was thankfully nearing Volfrost City – her already-meagre supplies were running low. She sighed when she saw the city and its lights. Josephine decided to spend the night at the Pokémon Centre and buy her supplies in the morning. The red-haired girl caught a glimpse of a building with a crimson roof and quickly ducked inside. The teen stood inside, pausing to catch her breath.

Looking around, she noticed Rachel lying on one of the red sofas, with Paul on the Internet. Who knows what he's looking up, Josephine thought.

A nurse behind the counter spoke up. She had pink hair and wore a white nurses' uniform with pink lacing. "This is the Volfrost City Pokémon Centre. How may I help you?"

Walking hurriedly over to the desk, she handed the two occupied spheres to the pink-haired woman who was Nurse Joy. "I'm Josephine. I'm a beginning Pokémon trainer. Could you please examine my Pokémon? My Sandshrew needs some extra care," the teen explained, and Joy nodded, before taking the two orbs out to the back room.

Hearing Josephine's voice made Rachel jump slightly. "Huh? Oh hey, it's Josephine!" She got off the sofa and hurried over to her friend. The tall girl walked forward, her long lavender-coloured hair flowing behind her. She looked relaxed and comfortable in her outfit – a bright red zip-up skin-tight jumper and navy blue shorts.

"What took so long?" the lavender-haired girl asked.

"Ah, I got caught up in some adventures." Josephine answered.

"What sort of adventures?" Paul questioned, coming over from getting off the Internet. The boy was of an average height and he had spiky, auburn-coloured hair. He wore a grey shirt and baggy purple pants. On each of his wrists was a purple sweatband and cupped in his right hand were two red and white spheres.

"They were exciting enough, I'll put it that way," the red-haired teen responded, not going into too much detail.

Paul raised an eyebrow, but said nothing more.

Nurse Joy then spoke up in her trademark soft voice. "Your Pokémon are ready, Josephine."

"Thanks," she answered, taking her Poké Balls and attaching them to her belt. Yawning, Josephine turned to Nurse Joy and asked if there were any spare rooms available. At this, Paul and Rachel went to their own rooms. Upon receiving an affirmative response, Josephine struggled upstairs to room B625. She unlocked the door and the exhausted trainer merely crawled into the bed that was available, falling asleep almost straight away.

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
Years
Kanto Lover said:
Josephine's sincerity was genuine enough it threw the Shinx's tantrum out the window.
This seemed a bit odd to me, as if to say there's some threshold other than total sincerity that the Shinx would accept. I would change it to something along the lines of "Shinx could see Josephine's sincerity, which through his tantrum out the window."

Kanto Lover said:
"All right, Riley! Let's go! Give it all you've got!" the fourteen-year-old girl yelled, before Sandshrew could muster up a counter-attack.
You've already established that she's fourteen years old in this chapter, so the sentence seems a bit redundant/awkward. :s

But apart from that, I enjoyed this chapter, particularly your battle description. ^^ Keep it up. :D

Back