• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

✿ Petals in the Wind - The Grass-type Fan Club ✿

Status
Not open for further replies.

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
Favorite Grass-type move and why?

Hmmm, so many decisions, 37 of them to be exact. I'll give you a few.

Solar Beam - The first powerful Grass move. It's good in combination with Sunny Day, as Solar Beam will become a 1-turn move instead of 2 turns.

Leech Seed - Saps the enemy's HP and gives it to you

Petal Dance - 2-3 turns of nothing but petals. Confuses your Pokemon afterwards though :/

Spiky Shield - Chesnaught's special move. Keeps him safe from attacks and damages anyone who attacks him

Wood Hammer - Critically powerful move. Unfortunately, the user gets recoil damage.

Any of the moves that cause status changes like sleep and paralysis (Spore, Stun Spore, Sleep Powder, Grass Whistle)

Any of the moves that drain your enemy's HP (Absorb, Mega Drain, Giga Drain, Horn Leech)

Power Whip - Used by Ferrothorn mostly. Powerful striking move

Frenzy Plant - The most powerful Grass move. User can't move next turn though :/

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
I see you have replaced Jumpluff and Sceptile, Slayr. Any particular reason? :D
With this new gen, everyone is going for a more defensive core, so if Sceptile was struggling to break through teams last generation, I don't really want to risk it this generation. It pained me, but I had to get rid of Jumpluff. Flying Gem isn't available in gen 6, and Jumpluff relied on that to have a good first Acrobatics without any boosts. I needed a special wall, and I've always wanted Ludicolo on my team, so I just swapped them. It's worked pretty well so far. Well, I've had one battle against a Bug team and I won. :D

Favorite Grass type move and why?

Hmm... I would probably have to say Giga Drain. I just love being able to regain health with every attack. It goes really well with Tangrowth and fighting teams. They try to break through Tangrowth's defense, and I just keep using Giga Drain to gain back most of the HP. Spore and Leech Seed are also favorites.

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
I like your new grass-type team, CloysterOyster! :3 An all-starter party! How has it been so far?

I totally skimmed past this...sorry. Yeah, I decided to have an all Grass-type starter team, one from each generation, as it only seemed fitting. I have done the same with the Fire and Water starters as well. I have used my full starter Grass team a few times but can't seem to win with them as much. I need to balance out their move sets and give them something to counteract their weaknesses, namely Fire and Ice.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
I totally skimmed past this...sorry. Yeah, I decided to have an all Grass-type starter team, one from each generation, as it only seemed fitting. I have done the same with the Fire and Water starters as well. I have used my full starter Grass team a few times but can't seem to win with them as much. I need to balance out their move sets and give them something to counteract their weaknesses, namely Fire and Ice.
Good luck with those weaknesses. If it's one thing I learned, everything has to go perfectly in order to cover some of those. But, I bet with some practice you'll be able to do it.

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
Years
Looks like you're gonna have quite a time battling with those Fire and Ice weaknesses, Cloyster! :P

Good luck!

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
Good luck with those weaknesses. If it's one thing I learned, everything has to go perfectly in order to cover some of those. But, I bet with some practice you'll be able to do it.

Looks like you're gonna have quite a time battling with those Fire and Ice weaknesses, Cloyster! :P

Good luck!

How do you both suggest I counteract Fire and Ice using my Grass-types? It's hard to keep them from fainting with one shot from either type and I need some moves that can really damage both Fire and Ice. Fighting can damage Ice pretty good, and Rock and Ground moves can damage Fire (unless either are part Flying, then Ground will have no effect). Thing is, only a few of my team members can learn either of those type's moves.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
How do you both suggest I counteract Fire and Ice using my Grass-types? It's hard to keep them from fainting with one shot from either type and I need some moves that can really damage both Fire and Ice. Fighting can damage Ice pretty good, and Rock and Ground moves can damage Fire (unless either are part Flying, then Ground will have no effect). Thing is, only a few of my team members can learn either of those type's moves.
Well, the team you have right now isn't going to do much of anything against teams that resist grass. You have way too many grass type moves on the same pokemon. Here's what I would recommend changing it to:

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Rash Nature
- Giga Drain
- Earthquake
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder
Mega-Venusaur is going to be your best friend against fire and ice teams. With that thick fat ability, it's going to be taking neutral damage from both. Earthquake is there to put some pressure on those fire types that can't fly. Not to mention poison type teams as well.

Meganium @ Light Clay
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 76 SDef / 252 HP / 182 Def
Careful Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Dragon Tail
- Aromatherapy
Meganium is a good support pokemon. With access to both screens, it's going to be a good idea to bring it out early. Meganium isn't that fast, so it's going to have to rely on its bulk to get those screens up. Aromatherapy is also nice for when you want to get rid of some status condition someone was nice enough to give to you. Dragon tail is so Meganium isn't complete taunt bait and is a good idea to spam if you have entry hazards up.

Sceptile @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Drain Punch
- Rock Slide
- Swords Dance
Sceptile is going to act as a physical threat this time. It has a really good physical moveset, but needs that swords dance if it's going to do much at all. I'd say, Sceptile is going to be the pokemon you need to keep alive with fire teams. It's fast, and carries rock slide while also having the fighting move to beat Heatran. I'm not exactly sure how you're going to get the swords dance, but try if you think you can get it. Possibly switch it in with Meganium's screens.

Torterra @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Wood Hammer
- Stone Edge
Torterra is here to set up entry hazards and damage as much as possible. It's going to come in real handy when against poison teams specifically. You have some pretty good coverage here, but don't expect Torterra to last very long, so get those entry hazards up first turn is possible.

Serperior @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Spd / 4 Atk / 252 HP
Jolly Nature
- Coil
- Leaf Blade
- Iron Tail
- Synthesis
Here we have a bulky Serperior set. This one emphasizes its defensive bulk while still being one of the fastest pokemon out there. This set will be really good against fighting teams that rely heavily on physical attacks. With Synthesis, Serperior can regain health reliably.

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Spiky Shield
- Hammer Arm
Chesnaught is here to setup entry hazards as well and prevent others from setting up. With the Taunt and Spiky Shield combo, you can really annoy the physical attackers. Hammer Arm is the STAB of choice because you have plenty of grass moves with the rest of your party.

This team isn't perfect, but I think it will greatly enhance your chances of victory. Sorry if some of the moves are unavailable before Pokebank, but I'm not exactly sure on what's available. Hope this helps a little!

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Favorite Grass type move and why?
Spore would definitely have to be one of my favorites, as it makes your opponent fall asleep instantly. I also like Wood Hammer, since it has a very high base power. Due to the same reason, I also like Leaf Storm. Another of my favorites is Synthesis; it recovers nearly half of your HP with one use. (:

Hyzenthlay

Years
Looks like Slayr has given some great advice there Cloyster, I'd say go for it! I wouldn't go asking me for advice since I don't battle online, nor do I really try and make my Pokemon team top notch.

Have fun! :D

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
Here are all 3 of my Grass teams.

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
I think we need a topic.

Which grass type would you consider the best battler?
Whether it's in-game or competitively, which grass pokemon can you always count on to deal an incredible amount of damage, or just make or opponent rip their hair out in defeat?

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
I think we need a topic.

Whether it's in-game or competitively, which grass pokemon can you always count on to deal an incredible amount of damage, or just make or opponent rip their hair out in defeat?

I once defeated someone's team with a Ludicolo. It was sad but funny. Ferrothorn is good offensively if you use him right. I've battled a few and they are hard to take down when they use Spikes, Toxic Spikes and/or Stealth Rock on you, then hide behind Protect or something. Shaymin in its Sky Form and Abomasnow are tough offensively as well.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
Breloom, Ludicolo, and Jumpluff are some of the most potent sweepers grass has to offer in my opinion. Breloom took a hit this gen, but his priority Mach Punch still hits like a truck. Ludicolo is amazing when it has rain. Dealing out damage with very effective STABs and either healing back up easily or becoming one of the fastest pokemon. Jumpluff has taken a huge hit this gen with the Flying Gem out of commission, but if you can get a Swords Dance up, Acrobatics will still make it a beast.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023

If we take out legendaries, Breloom and Ferrothorn can cope pretty well. Breloom can easily tear through Pokemon with its high attack stat and access to strong STAB moves. Ferrothorn's an absolute tank and can wear down opponents with Iron Barbs + Rocky Helmet. It can also go for pure stall with Leech Seed, Thunder Wave and Protect. Overall they're both really great Pokemon. Most grass types having the Chlorophyll ability are pretty deadly as well with double the speed + access to Solar Beam spam.

In-game, I've truthfully never used too many grass types. I love Venusaur though. It can inflict sleep, makes a great sweeper, is pretty fast and can tank hits well. Mega Venusaur is even better being able to take super effective moves while dishing out damage of its own. And plus, its design is cool. Makes for a generally well-rounded pokemon. :D

Years

Ferrothorn is a no-brainer here. It's one of the best defensive walls in the competitive metagame due to its many resistances and lack of weaknesses. Plus its Iron Barbs + Rocky Helmet combo can be pretty good for wearing down those who rely on using physical attacks, which likely involves it getting it with contact moves.

And Venusaur is one that's also been standing out in recent generations, with Chlorophyll it can wreck a lot of things in the sun, and its Mega got a useful ability in Thick Fat, which automatically removes two of its major weaknesses. It's a good all-rounded attacker which can take hits at the same time.

Hyzenthlay

Years

Looks like I'm too late, everyone's spoken my words for me!

I haven't used many grass-types in my team before (I still love 'em but) so I don't know for sure, but I do know that Breloom is an excellent sweeper and just an altogether great Pokemon!

I hear a lot of positive talk about Ferrothorn so I guess he also makes a great grass-type to have in your party. Iron Barbs + Rocky Helmet sounds sweet. <3

Happy New Year everyone!
Just wanted to say that. :D

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I would say Celebi. Its stats are all-around perfect, and has access to a variety of moves in its arsenal as well. It could be used either offensively and defensively without any sort of issues; it's all up to you! Breloom is also quite useful. As long as it has Spore, Seed Bomb, Substitute, and Focus Punch in its moveset, it would be extremely hard to stop. If it's got Poison Heal ability and holds onto a Toxic Orb, it'd become even more hard. I've used Breloom in the past while battling, and found plenty of success. :]

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
Okay, new topic!

What type do you think is the best secondary type to grass?
What I mean is which additional type on a grass pokemon is the best one to have? Is it water because it relieves the fire and ice weaknesses while adding a STAB that's extremely handy for said fire types? Is it steel because of the added resistances? Discuss!

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
Okay, new topic!

What type do you think is the best secondary type to grass?
What I mean is which additional type on a grass pokemon is the best one to have? Is it water because it relieves the fire and ice weaknesses while adding a STAB that's extremely handy for said fire types? Is it steel because of the added resistances? Discuss!

Water helps take away the Fire and Ice weaknesses for sure. Ludicolo, being both types, makes him quite resistant and using Scald helps fight off the Fire and Ice types. Steel is powerful but one well-placed Fire or Ground move would take a Grass/Steel type quickly.

I was thinking Grass/Ground. Weak to Ice x4 and Flying but helps knock off Fire and Poison types that threaten Grass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back