• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

3rd Gen Your First Shiny

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 6, 2013
First shiny was, believe it or not, a shiny moltres. Like what the hell? Out of everything possible, I get the moltres. Best luck I've had

Elysieum

Requiescat en pace.
Years
If I remember correctly my first shiny in Gen 3 was a Voltorb. It was blue instead of red, which was pretty badass. Didn't ever use it though.

MarioManH

top kek
Years
Well it was quite an interesting story.

Back in the day when I didn't really know much about shinies and such, I encountered a Shiny Numel. Now, my cousin (Who's a very "hardcore" Pokemon player) was with me at the time. I told him "Woah, a water type Numel, IT'S GONNA DIE) . My cousin was all "Dude what the heck are you talking about? " . He took my game and stared at it for about a minute and told me too catch it. Once I caught it he offered me a Groudon. Now, at that time to me, Legendaries were just A+ material to me, and having a second Groudon just made my jaw drop. Now too this day, even though he cloned it many times over with this Action Replay (During 4th Gen) , he refuses to give me a Numel (Which is now a Camerupt) .

Years
  • Age 40
  • Seen Dec 7, 2013
I've been playing these games on and off since Generation I was released and I have yet to encounter a shiny Pokemon in any generation. Admittedly I haven't played the recent generations as much, which from what I understand it's easier to catch shiny Pokemon in the later generations.

I've recently resumed playing the Gen III series of games. I'll definitely update this post if I catch a shiny Pokemon.

Last edited:
Years
I have found two the first time it was in Ruby. It was a trapinch I didnt know what a shiny was so I thought my cartridge had broke and I reset my system and didnt encounter another shiny untill I caught a shiny heatran i had never seen oneso i just assumed it was normal untill my friend flipped outaboutit. lol

Years
Shiny Aron in Emerald. The funny thing is it was the first Pokemon I encountered in Dewford, I was so happy but I didn't end up using it because it was not a legal Pokemon to use in my fighting monotype...sad times.

Years
  • Seen Dec 4, 2015
I caught my first shiny in my brother's Sapphire game. It was a shiny Lotad. I traded it into my game later, and traded another Lotad in return. I wonder if he ever noticed anything.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2019
To be honest I never got a shiny pokemon before. Even though I had 240 hours on emerald. I even didn't meet Latias/Latios.

Yoshi119

Abbeon
Years
Weedle in Leafgreen :/ My cousin was playing it, and I was in the other room. Then I heard him shouting, "Abby, why is the spike purple!?" and I went and was like "HOLLLLLLYGOSGMRPHINMBNS;RH;NBFS;RH" and I caught it. Not the coolest shiny ever, but I was excited.

SidDays

Professional Lurker
Years
It was a Meowth in LeafGreen. I will always hate myself for forgetting to save, it was the only shiny I've ever encountered :'(

Thief

The Dark One
Years
My first Shiny ever was in Emerald, about 7 or 8 years ago, just outside Fortree to the right in the big patch of grass; a male Poochyena who I nicknamed GOLDWONDER. Trainer was a guy called DACTYL at the time (I used to prefer using the male protag and Aerodactyl was the first thing I thought of to inspire a name at the time xD).

I still have him as a Mightyena, all this time later, as I bring him with me across each gen. <3 Best part is, Mightyena is my favourite Pokémon, and I don't like having female Pokémon. Not to mention there's no such thing as shiny hunting in RSE, it was all down to random encounters. Yet I still got him. <3

Years
  • Seen Jul 21, 2016
My first shiny was a male gulpin I begged my cousin to trade to me from his Ruby version. I still have him, and he currently resides in my copy of HG. I haven't caught any other shiny Pokemon in a gen 3 game, but I did encounter a shiny pidgeotto on one of the sevii islands in LG and accidentally KO'd it...

Years
Ah my first shiny in III gen was a swalot on a ruby a friend had lent me. I thought I was gonna have a heart attack from the emotion. I was also the first "real" shiny I captured( as red gyarados from gold didnt count and I couldnt catch a shiny spinarak back then). I also got a shiny wooper on my firered. It was like 7-8 years ago... nowadays... turns out that I gave my diamond where they were to my nephew, he exchanged the game card and when he got it back...no more shinies... I only cried three days X'''D

Back