• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Which starter represents G/S/C?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
When someone says Johto starter, which of the three (Cyndaquil, Totodile and Chikorita) do you think of? Which do you think stands out the most in the media & is most representative of the Johto experience G/S/C offers?

Does said Pokemon happen to be your favourite too? Discuss! :)

Years
Totodile almost always comes to my mind and it seems to be used my majority. It is not my favorite one though, that would be Cynda ;p

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 19, 2019
I think Totodile because the rival is more 'known' for having that Pokémon? Could be wrong.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
For me I really think Totodile is the unofficial starter mascot. Mainly because it was HUGE in the anime.... but yet so was Chikorita. So I dunno. I guess Totodile was just cooler :)

I definitely think Cyndaquil isn't... important. :( like honestly I think if it disappeared most people wouldn't notice it's gone which is such a shame.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
I think its a tie between Cyndaquil and Totodile, because people like Typhlosion and Feraligatr. Maybe Totodile a bit more due to the anime.

Sorry Chikorita :[

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Nov 16, 2018
Cyndaquil for sure. Totadile was great but not as memorable and I HATE Chikorita because of Bayleef specifically.

I mean Barrier, Poison Powder, Sythesis, and Razor Leaf?? For real??

AliceBlaze

Shiny Collector
Years
I'd say Cyndaquil because I'm pretty sure every incarnation of Gold/Ethan outside of the games has one.

Years
I'd probably go for Cyndaquil since all of the male protagonist's incarnations own its line. Totodile could also qualify due to its popularity in the anime and marketing. As for Chikorita, it's definitely way too unpopular due to its defensive-oriented style.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I love all three, but honestly? I skip the first stage and think of Quilava when I think about Johto starters. Quilava is one of my favorite Pokemon though, so that might be why ahaha. But I always look forward to when my Cyndaquil evolves...and somewhat dread level 36, even though I like Typhlosion.

Back