• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Best Gen 1 Sprite?

Years
Ghost

latest

Years
If we're talking about the most aesthetically pleasing design(s), then I think Flareon takes the cake here. All of the Gen I eeveelutions do really.

If we're talking about the most hilariously designed Gen 1 sprites, then that honour has to go to Pokemon Green's Charizard sprite. And probably others that are worse off. :x

I think this one is worse than Charizard.

151.png

Link119

The Self-Proclaimed King
Years
  • Age 33
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 4, 2018
I feel like Yellow should be considered different from the other Gen. I games, cause that one sorta solidified the art-style while Blue and international Red/Blue just upped the style with most of them still being pretty bad...

Anyway, using that logic, I've neglected Yellow in my pick:

Nidoking (Blue)...

Ninetales (Green)...

Years
I agree with the comment above. Yellow was such a leap forward visually that you can pick almost any of the sprites, so I'd rather concentrate on the earlier stages.

Blastoise has looked great in almost every game. This imposing Pokemon Green sprite is definitely no exception.

Spr_1g_009.png

Kingler is overlooked. His dynamic claw looks large and in charge as it moves towards the screen. This time the green sprite may be more accurate than Blue.
20081116014059%21Spr_1g_099.png

While it may not be the closest sprite to his style in later games, I can't resist how cute sandshrew is in Pokemon Blue. Look at those feet! He's so expressive also, his eyes stare up at his trainer.

Spr_1b_027.png

My favorite of all however is Arcanine. There is so much detail in his Blue sprite, every flame moves gracefully around his body. I adore this mon, and obviously the game designers did too.

Spr_1b_059.png

Years
I have plenty of favorite sprites from Pokemon Red/Blue. Although many were pretty inaccurate from their official art, there's still something about them which I love.

Squirtle
Spr_1b_007.png
- It's my favorite sprite. (also it's the cutest to me.)

Rhydon, Poliwhirl, Marowak, and Nidoking - These sprites are just cool in general to me.
Spr_1b_112.png
Spr_1b_061.png
Spr_1b_105.png
Spr_1b_034.png

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 19, 2019
Red/Green:

022.png
143.png
(so cute!)

Red/Blue:

018.png

Yellow:

106.png

Knda like Mewtwo's sprite in every version.

Last edited:

Mawa

The typo Queen
Years
I have plenty of favorite sprites from Pokemon Red/Blue. Although many were pretty inaccurate from their official art, there's still something about them which I love.

Squirtle
Spr_1b_007.png
- It's my favorite sprite. (also it's the cutest to me.)

Rhydon, Poliwhirl, Marowak, and Nidoking - These sprites are just cool in general to me.
Spr_1b_112.png
Spr_1b_061.png
Spr_1b_105.png
Spr_1b_034.png

3 of those 4 where in my favorite Pokemon (rhydon, marowak and nidoking).

Also, this cutie
sandshrew.png
and it's evolution
sandslash.png

Back