• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sierra's MEGA-HUGE XSE Scripting Tutorial

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Sep 6, 2015
Never mind, i used variables instead of flags now (thanks to Magic for showing me an info post).
This works fine now :)

Also, I have an advance map related question, mind if I ask that too?

If yes, here it is, else I'll remove it in a bit
Whenever I make a new map and insert it, it's called LITTLEROOT TOWN by default, even though when I clicked "Create new map" i gave it the name "Newbore Town" ;O
This means that it can't be renamed without renaming the original LITTLEROOT TOWN too, which is quite annoying haha.

Edit 2:
Do you have steam?
It's easier to talk there :D

Last edited:

qaz015393

pokemon revenge developer
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen today
Thanks for the tut & for still being around. Anyway I ran into an error, I wanted to make a new trainer battle & have him give u a badge & item then move. Then when I tried to debug it I got this error

"Too less parameters on line 27. The correct number is 3"
I don't know what they mean. I'm re-learning how to script.
Anyway here is the script can you/some1 else help me fix it:

Spoiler:

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
Thanks for the tut & for still being around. Anyway I ran into an error, I wanted to make a new trainer battle & have him give u a badge & item then move. Then when I tried to debug it I got this error

I don't know what they mean. I'm re-learning how to script.
Anyway here is the script can you/some1 else help me fix it:

Spoiler:

You forgot what type of message will appear after the player receives the item.
From what I can see, it looks like an NPC will give them player an item, so...
Code:
giveitem 0x147 0x1 [COLOR="Red"]msg_obtain[/COLOR]

qaz015393

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen today
You forgot what type of message will appear after the player receives the item.
From what I can see, it looks like an NPC will give them player an item, so...
Code:
giveitem 0x147 0x1 [COLOR=Red]msg_obtain[/COLOR]

Thanks for the help man. That worked now it works [from what I see. Im not insert it in my rom yet].

Years
  • Seen Dec 25, 2022
I'm sorry if this is the wrong thread, but here it goes...

I'm having problems with the script boxes (you step on the tile and the script happens).

The script (let's call script X) happens with no problems whatsoever in a building, if I put a level script (script Y).

But where there isn't any level script (no script Y), such as cities, when stepping on the tile with the script X, one of the two things happen:
1. The game freezes
2. The script doesn't happen

I've followed the tutorial in levelscripts according to the ones in pokecommunity.

My question is, how to make scripts work without using level scripts?

I think the problem is with setvar, but if you could give me some kind of tutorial, I would be more than happy.

Thanks in advance ;)

qaz015393

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen today
I'm wondering how in the intro for fire red, how i can start off in the home town and make a battle script where the player losses and then after that it fades into another scene in a lab where some story occurs. Then the player walks out [to be clear I wanted to have the player sprite to be hidden then show up when it needs to. Do I need to have the hide sprite near the beginning of the script then have the show sprite later when i want it?].

Now is there something different that needs to happen in the beginning battle script for the player to lose so all that intro story can only happen once.

And how can the hero sprites appear at the right time and be the right gender.

Im asking this bc like in R/E/S when u pick brandon and may is your rival. I wanted to make the same script so when u pick a gender the story is played as that hero and the other 1 is a rival. I would like to know how that works. Is there something else adding so the Ow sprite and trainer sprite is changed when 1 gender is picked.

Years
Total noob here. I cleared out the memory of FR using an external tool. It's supposed to delete all non-essential memory so you can start from scratch on a game and only have the original maps as a reference.

The only problem I've ran into so far is that when I lose a battle, I warp to some weird-ass building and I'm stuck walking around a closed off room. I think it's the top left corner of Safron's gym.

I launched the unedited FR and tested what what happen if I lost. I warped back to what appeared to be the "mom's" house as a death point. What she said didn't match up with anything in the original FR scrips, so I'm very confused and don't have a reference to even see what makes you warp there upon losing a battle. How do I get this back in my hacked ROM, or set another death point?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Feb 27, 2024
Hi. In a lot of pokemon games (such as firered) Your rival just walks up to you and has a battle if you step on a certain spot. How would a script like this look? Could you give me an example of one?

Years
Hey, I've been wondering, I saw a tutorial on Youtube about a year ago, where you could basiclly change the sprite of the hero
The video has been deleted though
The video was on PokeScript, no ASM required, FireRed as base and it was on a script tile
He switched from Red to a Rocket Grunt
The Youtuber was PurpleSonik418
Even if you don't know how to do it, it would be great if you had a Rom base with that
Wiht would truly make my day

AluminiumOxide

Aka Ansirent
Years
Hey i really loved your tutorial. Because of your tutorial one of my friend is now good in scripting. I have also read your tutorial it helped me a lot really thank you.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jul 13, 2014
Much I am really, really new to scripting as well to this whole hacking thing. Much your script tutorial helps and all. There some things I don't quite understand : / Now not sure if this has been explained or not...

For example exactly how do you insert, the script codes. Into Advancemap 1.92 onto like say a Sprite? Like a NPC who will give a regular message or statement...How will I be able to insert it into the game? Cause after putting the script in...and then reopen the NPC script...it disappears. Am I doing something wrong [and sorry, I don't know how to take screen shots off from desktop : / ]

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
Much I am really, really new to scripting as well to this whole hacking thing. Much your script tutorial helps and all. There some things I don't quite understand : / Now not sure if this has been explained or not...

For example exactly how do you insert, the script codes. Into Advancemap 1.92 onto like say a Sprite? Like a NPC who will give a regular message or statement...How will I be able to insert it into the game? Cause after putting the script in...and then reopen the NPC script...it disappears. Am I doing something wrong [and sorry, I don't know how to take screen shots off from desktop : / ]

I have a tutorial for that ~> clicky

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jan 3, 2021
Very helpful indeed. IO have scripted a battle with mew in pallet town as a test, it all worked except when I caught the mew it didn't obey me.

Is there a code for an obeying mew?

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jul 29, 2014
Thanks for the tutorial, very useful however i am getting a problem and i have no idea why

This is my script before compilation:
Code:
#dynamic 0x456776
#org @start
msgbox @1 0x2
end

#org @1
= Hello!\nI used to be a trainer!\Good Times! I wish i could do it again!

And after Compilation:
Code:
'-----------------------
#org 0x456777
msgbox 0x845677F '"Hello!\nI used to be a trainer!!Goo..."
end

'---------
' Strings
'---------
#org 0x45677F
= Hello!\nI used to be a trainer!!Good Times! I wish i could do it again!

I then insert the offset it gives me after compilation into the script offset box of the chubby man person event in pallet town(with 00 before it so it can find it.)

Then, after saving, i run it in virtual boy advance and go to the guy and when clicked it plays the sound *tinkle* then nothing happens and the guy continues walking.

I can't see a problem, please help.

Thanks

Programs:
AdvanceMap
XSE
FSF

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jun 16, 2018
Thanks so much for this!

However, I have a problem. I'm not sure if anybody else who has posted above me has posted this question and/or had it answered, but here it is.
It doesn't let me script Warps.

As this is my first post, I can't post links yet, but it is"
i m g u r . c o m / z p m e Y C i
(without any spaces.)

Last edited:
Years
Thanks for the tutorial, very useful however i am getting a problem and i have no idea why

This is my script before compilation:
Code:
#dynamic 0x456776
#org @start
msgbox @1 0x2
end

#org @1
= Hello!\nI used to be a trainer!\Good Times! I wish i could do it again!

And after Compilation:
Code:
'-----------------------
#org 0x456777
msgbox 0x845677F '"Hello!\nI used to be a trainer!!Goo..."
end

'---------
' Strings
'---------
#org 0x45677F
= Hello!\nI used to be a trainer!!Good Times! I wish i could do it again!

I then insert the offset it gives me after compilation into the script offset box of the chubby man person event in pallet town(with 00 before it so it can find it.)

Then, after saving, i run it in virtual boy advance and go to the guy and when clicked it plays the sound *tinkle* then nothing happens and the guy continues walking.

I can't see a problem, please help.

Thanks

Programs:
AdvanceMap
XSE
FSF

Try this

Spoiler:

It worked fine for me, remember to copy paste the offset you get for @start

Thanks so much for this!

However, I have a problem. I'm not sure if anybody else who has posted above me actually has had it answered yet, but here it is.
It doesn't let me script Warps.

As this is my first post, I can't post links yet, but it is"
i m g u r . c o m / z p m e Y C i
(without any spaces.)

What do you mean? Do you mean adding scripts to wrap tiles? Cause that is impossible, but you can add script tiles before a wrap if you want to write a message or something.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jun 16, 2018
@Fae Bladez
~ It talks about coding the Warps. (In the example, he used warp 0x3 0x0 0x2 0x0 0x0)
- I don't know where to code that.

EDIT: Also, Advance Map also doesn't let me show a trainer for a trainer battle. I can't figure out why...

Last edited:

Sniper

ふゆかい
Years
@Fae Bladez
~ It talks about coding the Warps. (In the example, he used warp 0x3 0x0 0x2 0x0 0x0)
- I don't know where to code that.

EDIT: Also, Advance Map also doesn't let me show a trainer for a trainer battle. I can't figure out why...

Show what? If you're using A-map 1.95 there's no checkbox for trainer, you just have to change its id. If that's what you mean? Cause I don't get it

Back