• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Roam Free (Hunting roaming legendaries)

Years
The legendary dogs were the original roamers. Travelling from route to route, rather than remaining stationary unlike previous legendaries, reclusive Pokemon who will attempt to flee a battle rather than stay and attack you. Did you catch any of these pokemon in HG SS or others (of which there were many) that gen 4 games had to offer? If so what were your strategies? Share your war stories, you can even share your pain if they managed to escape.

Years
I remember in first SS file, I saw an entei at full health so I chucked a premier ball at it. I caught it to my surprise. That's all I caught in those games.

Although in platinum I did manage to catch all the roaming legendaries using a gengar with mean look.

-Nonsense-

Luck = 0
Years
Unwanted Flashbacks of constantly switching Routes and checking my Pokedex to catch Latios in Ruby. : (

That moment when you remember that 4th gen......

I mean flashbacks of being Roared away by the legendary beast when thinking they were cornered.

Switching Routes for Cresselia and Mespirit were at least better thanks to the Poketch.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
At least Roar didn't make them disappear like Suicune in FrLg :P

Yeah I always get obsessed with the Apricorn pokéballs so have to get Raikou and Latias in Fast Balls, Suicune in a Dive Ball because it looks really nice, and Entei in whatever I have on hand (I've always been a fan of the Heavy Ball so often will use that).

In Sinnoh though having multiples irritated me - I thought Cresselia would work even better as a Darkrai counterpart if it stayed on its' island - just make it super strong like Heatran.

-Nonsense-

Luck = 0
Years
At least Roar didn't make them disappear like Suicune in FrLg :P

Yeah I always get obsessed with the Apricorn pokéballs so have to get Raikou and Latias in Fast Balls, Suicune in a Dive Ball because it looks really nice, and Entei in whatever I have on hand (I've always been a fan of the Heavy Ball so often will use that).

In Sinnoh though having multiples irritated me - I thought Cresselia would work even better as a Darkrai counterpart if it stayed on its' island - just make it super strong like Heatran.

Are you the type to get obsessed with what ball all your mons are in? Nowadays I have to make sure that Raikoubor Zapdos are caught in a either an ultra ball or a quick ball.

Sucks that along with roaming she didn't even have the legendary encounter music either. : /

Luxray Master

Main Head for the Starlight Team
Years
  • Age 41
  • Seen Jul 7, 2017
I caught an Entai with a gastly with mean look, it took many attempts, since it was so weak I usually wouldn't use it first, but I was lucky and was able to catch it sooner or later, with a Luxury ball. I tried many times in PT to catch Uxie, but I never thought of using Mean Look.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
Are you the type to get obsessed with what ball all your mons are in? Nowadays I have to make sure that Raikoubor Zapdos are caught in a either an ultra ball or a quick ball.

Sucks that along with roaming she didn't even have the legendary encounter music either. : /

Yup. Right now I'm playing Pokémon Emerald - I have three team members and know my fourth and fifth will be Milotic and Salamence - but I won't even try and capture a Feebas until I can get access to Dive Balls. I also refuse to catch anything in non-Hoenn poké balls other than the original poké balls. I generally make an exception for Sinnoh because I don't like Heal Balls except for a very few pink pokémon, and because it doesn't have a company that obviously makes them so I feel like Sinnoh and Unova have just kinda imported them all so they all fit.

-Nonsense-

Luck = 0
Years
Yup. Right now I'm playing Pokémon Emerald - I have three team members and know my fourth and fifth will be Milotic and Salamence - but I won't even try and capture a Feebas until I can get access to Dive Balls. I also refuse to catch anything in non-Hoenn poké balls other than the original poké balls. I generally make an exception for Sinnoh because I don't like Heal Balls except for a very few pink pokémon, and because it doesn't have a company that obviously makes them so I feel like Sinnoh and Unova have just kinda imported them all so they all fit.

Sounds way to annoying to avoid the use of an Ultra Ball. What about when you get to a legendary encounter?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
Sounds way to annoying to avoid the use of an Ultra Ball. What about when you get to a legendary encounter?

They take absolutely forever no matter what, so what difference does it make? Quite a few of them are found in caves in Gen IV plus I tend to play late at night - although like I said I tend to make an exception in Sinnoh. In Gen III I have Timer Balls (Hoenn) or just use Ultra Balls (Kanto).

Pretty random but you know the little pun the site tries to make with your name? Well mine says "Amore is love. Amore is life.". Kinda funny considering Amore means love in Italian.

Last edited:

-Nonsense-

Luck = 0
Years
They take absolutely forever no matter what, so what difference does it make? Quite a few of them are found in caves in Gen IV plus I tend to play late at night - although like I said I tend to make an exception in Sinnoh. In Gen III I have Timer Balls (Hoenn) or just use Ultra Balls (Kanto).

Pretty random but you know the little pun the site tries to make with your name? Well mine says "Amore is love. Amore is life.". Kinda funny considering Amore means love in Italian.

Because of the duskballs right? Almost got confused for a second. I just meant through your emerald playthrough. I guess I would just find it annoying using a ball that takes more turns to get a better catching chance.

Lol, nice and redundant.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
Because of the duskballs right? Almost got confused for a second. I just meant through your emerald playthrough. I guess I would just find it annoying using a ball that takes more turns to get a better catching chance.

Lol, nice and redundant.

Yeah because of the Dusk Balls. I tend to raise a really strong Breloom for captures in Emerald so when I'm constantly having to put the legendary back to sleep again (or in Rayquaza's case, wait for it to wake up from Rest, then put it to sleep) it soon drags on. Combine that with the fact that for some reason I always find myself getting hit harder by legendaries in Emerald (probably because in Gen IV I usually end up with a Steel-type whereas in Emerald the best one is available post-game) and have to use a lot of Revives and Timer Balls are powered up before you would even realise.

ChaddyCFC

Veteran PokéNerd
Years
Get on the border two short routes, both with grass on them and move back and forth between each, checking the map for the change of location of the Pokemon and keep a Pokemon with Mean Look to stop them running away. Works every time for me.

Back