• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: Pokémon Sigma Σmerald [v1.914]

Years

1X7M8KG.jpg

ROM Base: Emerald (BPEE)

Pokemon Sigma Emerald is a hack originally created by Tlachtli. It aims to be a game resembling a 3rd Gen remake de-make of the original Emerald, with an unchanged storyline and upgraded mechanics. After a hiatus from mid-2014 to 2015, the development of Sigma Emerald was handed over to me. For a rundown on the project, the original thread can be found here. This topic contains my continuation of Sigma Emerald, which picks up off Tlachtli's last release (Alpha 3).

Features + Engine Changes:
- All 386 Pokemon obtainable in-game
- Physical/Special split
- Reusable TMs
- Fairy type fully implemented
- New moves and abilities from newer generations + updates to existing ones with new mechanics
- Updated learnsets consistent with OR/AS
- Updates to battle mechanics + held item effects
- Updated Pokemon sprites and cries
- New NPCs (Hyper Trainer, EV Checker and more)
- Revised NPC rematches (Rivals, PokeNav, Leader, League Steven etc.)
For the full list of features and changes, click the spoiler
Spoiler:

Possibilities and/or plans for future updates:
- Implement updated battle engine (once pokeemerald is complete)
- TM Expansion
- Cross-gen evolutions
- Updating the Battle Frontier to fit the PSS split + move expansion
- Once all of the above is done, a tileset, sprite, and battle background overhaul (??)

Screenshots:
DPbjjmY.png
qgnciMz.png
8KDSXKX.png
nsU6hUl.gif

6Cmifq0.png
PTLYiTX.png
i2Rooth.png
Zwir4Ns.png

FC3jBuz.png
Qs41Mv1.png
amsBzwt.png
meogCRm.png

z4qATmr.png
4zlnRod.png
HUB0qnV.png
AmFn7wX.png

ngrCAAb.png
6CS8vao.gif
cXZpMh4.png
WSYHUy3.gif

gmREEiT.png
ekVAgn7.png
RNIaVNy.png
zIADSsD.png

CK8IRxX.png
UnYPkYC.png
WDIzZyI.png
DfiNjan.png

Changelog:
Alpha
a4.4 - a7
Spoiler:
v1.82 - v1.914
Spoiler:

Bugs/notes:
- If the player captures a new Pokemon and has any Pokemon level up through capture experience, the PokeDex screen for the newly captured Pokemon will look glitched. This is a temporary graphical glitch, and does not affect gameplay otherwise
- Due to how the mechanics work behind Brick Break, Scrappy Pokemon that use it will still not damage Ghosts. However, it will still break screens (ie. Light Screen and Reflect)
- The animation for Draining Kiss may sometimes delay gameplay when used (possibly emulator dependent)
- New moves cannot be bred onto Pokemon (yet???)

Credits:
- Tlachtli for Sigma Emerald, as well as his credits:
+The RnD section as a whole: For pretty much everything
+HackMew: For probably half of those oh-so-useful tools and several Emerald bug fixes
+Jambo51: A whole lot, especially for BSP, battle script callasm function, setword command, and string loader hack
+Chaos Rush: Info for custom move animations, disabling Poke sprite animations, the DS sprite resource, and Color restoration patch
+DoesntKnowHowToPlay: Emerald Phys/Spec split
+Darthatron: Inspiration for my Phys/Spec icons
+SBird: Help with OAMs
+ipatix: HQ sound mixer
- MrDollSteak, kleenexfeu, Sky High, KDS: A lot, especially resources and mechanic-related assistance
- jirachiwishmker, Le pug, Phenom2122: Resource and documentation
- diegoisawesome, KhaosKnight, tajaros/Shadowraze: Tutorials
- Artemis64, HidoranBlaze, mamamama, DreamEngine, Spherical Ice: custom move animations
- Gamer2020, Hopeless Masquerade, karatekid522, Kurapika, Kyoufu Kawa, LU-HO, thethethethe: Various tools
- MrTien Duc: Sigma Emerald banner

Toss me a PM if I forgot to credit you. And last but not least, Enjoy!

Downloads:
v1.75
v1.82
[url="http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/du9lt8wp8b4lg0v/Sigma%20Emerald%20v1.914.zip?dl=0"]v1.914 (current version)
[/url]

Last edited:

MrDollSteak

Formerly known as 11bayerf1
Years
One thing you could consider doing is re-adding animations (once I'm finished with my Sugimori project), I'll be releasing a patch so that could be useful.

Also I'd definitely recommend adding some more of the new abilities from the ability resource thread. I loved the original Sigma Emerald because it started the boat rolling with Emerald hacking and ability porting, so the more abilities the better!

Years
One thing you could consider doing is re-adding animations (once I'm finished with my Sugimori project), I'll be releasing a patch so that could be useful.

Also I'd definitely recommend adding some more of the new abilities from the ability resource thread. I loved the original Sigma Emerald because it started the boat rolling with Emerald hacking and ability porting, so the more abilities the better!

Wow awesome, I'll definitely be using the patch once it's finished. :)

I actually do want to implement new abilities into the hack, but it's just that I haven't gone around to learning how to insert ASM routines yet. A lot of my focus for now is being put into getting better at scripting.

Chronosplit

I play for keeps!
Years
  • Seen May 3, 2022
I was wondering, could we please get some details on the fix for the glitchy Fortree gym doors? I'd greatly appreciate learning how you dealt with it as I'm having a similar problem myself with my own little projects.

Credit given where due of course if I ever put it out. :P

Last edited:
Years
I was wondering, could we please get some details on the fix for the glitchy Fortree gym doors? I'd greatly appreciate learning how you dealt with it as I'm having a similar problem myself with my own little projects.

Credit given where due of course if I ever put it out. :P

I'll post the fix here for easy reference, so you can definitely go ahead and use it. Just be sure to credit Le pug.

Spoiler:

Years
OP has been updated with Alpha 4.2! :) Nothing too major here other than refinements on palettes and scripts; from the second champion win onward, the event with May and Professor Birch will no longer occur. Instead, Wallace will say something different and proceed straight to the Hall of Fame record room (just like Steven does in ORAS)

EDIT: a4.2 has been re-uploaded upon discovery that I accidentally overwrote something that was stored next to Wallace's original script; fortunately I have several "rollback" copies. Portions of the scripts that have had commands added to it have been assigned to dynamic pointers and then re-inserted into a stable ROM.

Last edited:
Years
This looks good, and I'm glad that someone picked up Sigma Emerald's development, but my goodness are those palette changes in the OW awful.

Seriously, that's the only thing I would change if I were in your shoes. Otherwise, everything looks A-OK.
Thanks for the feedback! The color changes are really more of an experiment to see what I might have been able to do with how the game looks. They can be changed back to the original Emerald palettes with ease :)

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Mar 23, 2024
The location text file says that Aron should appear on B1 of Granite Cave, but according to AdvanceMap, Aron is not set to appear on that floor. It is set to appear on the other floors within Granite Cave that it is supposed to appear, but not on B1.

Years
The location text file says that Aron should appear on B1 of Granite Cave, but according to AdvanceMap, Aron is not set to appear on that floor. It is set to appear on the other floors within Granite Cave that it is supposed to appear, but not on B1.
Huh, that's weird. I don't remember changing any of the encounters in Granite Cave.

Anywho, it's fixed now and will be included in the next update! Thanks for informing me :)

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 3, 2021
will there be any difficulty updates? maybe some music patches with songs from FR/LG? :)

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Mar 23, 2024
Huh, that's weird. I don't remember changing any of the encounters in Granite Cave.

Anywho, it's fixed now and will be included in the next update! Thanks for informing me :)

I think somewhere along the way, possibly even before you started, the text file stopped being 100% accurate. I ran into Marill on Route 112, and Marill isn't even supposed to appear on Route 112, according to the text file.

Last edited:

Tlachtli

Crit happens.
Years
In case there's any question, consider this my blessing for the project {:3}

Looks good so far! I'm glad the sick Lapras is in the screenshots, she was my favorite addition {XD}

Years
Alpha 4.4 is up, once again focused on polishing some minor errors in the game.

will there be any difficulty updates? maybe some music patches with songs from FR/LG? :)
As of right now, no. I think the difficulty is fine as it is, especially with the Gym Leader rematches and the upgraded teams added for the post-credit Pokemon League Challenge. There is still a lot for me to learn before moving onto music hacking, but some of the legendaries in the game do use the FR/LG encounter music (like the legendary bird trio and Clebi) :)

What I'm looking to do next is probably add some ASM routines when I get the time to learn how to insert them into the game. (like the BW repel system) And when MrDollSteak finishes with his patch I'll be taking a stab at re-implementing animated sprites.

Years
Alpha 5 is up! Now includes some ASM stuff :D (at least ones inserted by me)

The Elite Four rematch mugshots have finally been fixed, and some outdated mechanics have been updated, such as Rough Skin damage and the fading of poison status in the overworld. EVs have also been capped to 252 for each stat instead of the original 255 to match the newer games.

Back