• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

World of Final Fantasy (Maxima)

Years
Hi! If you're a Pokemon fan and a fan of Final Fantasy, then you might be pleased to hear that there exists a game that's essentially combines the best of both worlds: The RPG elements of both Pokemon and Final Fantasy combined: Introducing the World of Final Fantasy.

The trailer shown here is World of Final Fantasy Maxima, which was shown at Nintendo's E3 when they've showcased all the fancy FF games being ported over to Switch. I feel this game has flown under the radar for a lot of people either simply because of the chibiness, or because it hasn't garnered a ton of fanfare because it's a mere FF spinoff game and not something that would catch anyone's second glance unless you're a hardcore RPG fan or a Final Fantasy fan.

What is WoFF anyway?

To go further into detail, World of Final Fantasy is what happens when you fit in Pokemon creatures in... the world of Final Fantasy. Except this time around, these Pokemon-esque creatures are called Mirages, but the concept is generally similar, if not outright the same -- you weaken mirages before you capture them -- and each mirage has a specific set of conditions that must be met in order to enhance their catch rate, as just throwing a Prismarium (Poke Ball) willy nilly is not going to work.

WoFF however, introduces a new twist to things which is absolutely crucial and plays into whether or not you'll win or lose a battle: stacks. At first I thought this was ridiculous until I played through a bit more of the game and found it kind of endearing and cutesy like the rest of the game. Stacks are exactly what they sound like -- you stack yourself on top of your mirages -- so you're essentially fighting alongside them, but which mirages you stack and whether you'll be in Chibi mode or non-Chibi mode will make a difference in battle. So WoFF does have its strategic elements. Not only that, your stacks can be broken by powerful enemies rendering you incapable of acting for a period of time. In the heat of battle, this can be a big deal.

Not to go into too much detail as to be overwhelming... what are you guys' impressions so far? I've played the original on PS4 and found it awesome, so naturally I'm excited that this game managed to get ported to the Switch, but I kinda want to hear some curious thoughts and whether you'll be interested in picking this one up. :o

Last edited:

CrimsonMajestic

From Dusk to Dawn
Years
I've been trying to find a reason to get into this game ever since my failed attempted at playing the PS4 demo, and hearing as a quasi Pokemon x Final Fantasy crossover may very well coax me into giving this another chance---especially with this version being released on the Switch.

Alyssandra

in Wonderland
Years
Do you play this online or..?

I am a bit skeptical as to whether this appeals to me or not, truthfully. The trailer didn't provide [m]any hooks ): too drama, not enough peppy.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 20, 2023
I haven't played this on PS4/Steam yet so I might pick it up for switch. I have a lot of other games on my wishlist right now so if I do get it it won't be for a while, but it's on my radar for sure

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
too drama, not enough peppy.
The game's basically the opposite of that, funny you should mention. The two leads and the mascot are a bunch of high energy goofballs trapped in a scenario that's bigger than they are, so I can say without a doubt that "peppy" is one of it's more upfront traits.

As for me, I was really glad to see this announced during the direct. I bought this for the PS4 originally and like it a lot, as a monster taming game I think it does a lot of things better than Pokemon does but never really could push through it if only because it was on the PS4 and I've been in a phase for a while where being hooked to the TV also meant I'd lose motivation easily. Circumstances and all that.

The plan *was* to get this for the PC but if they're going to release it on a handheld that'd be more than perfect, few ports fit this system as well as WoFF does and I'd been hoping for a port since I got the system. The extra content's one hell of a cherry on top, too.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
I played this (after some scepticism) and loved it. I believe it originally came out near to FFXV, and in the end I finished this first and enjoyed it mote.

Years
Do you play this online or..?

I am a bit skeptical as to whether this appeals to me or not, truthfully. The trailer didn't provide [m]any hooks ): too drama, not enough peppy.

It's for the Switch, if you own one. :o I believe there's a Maxima version for PS4 as well, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

And I agree with machomuu here... the games make no mistake of emphasizing on the humour aspect of it. In fact, the two main characters constantly drag each other and there are other hilarious and light-hearted moments as well.

Back