• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Favourite and Least Favourite Gen 2 Pokémon

Limey-chan

Batzu
Years
Favourites (in no particular order):
Crobat
On a functional level, I really shouldn't like Crobat; it's awful competitively, it can't take a hit and its movepool is dire. And yet it's comfortably one of my favourite Pokemon from any generation. Maybe it's the whole semi-nocturnal thing it has going on, or its sleek design. Who knows, it's awesome though.

Kingdra
Similarly to Crobat, Kingdra is let down badly by its meager movepool. But hey, it's a Dragon, it's one of Generation II's best looking Pokemon, and it has a fantastic typing.

Scizor
A metal Scyther? Yes please.

Umbreon
A bit of a mainstream pick, but Umbreon remains my favourite Eeveelution. The fact it's a Dark type and has the best shiny sprite of any Pokemon only cement its place in my heart.

Heracross
It's everything that Pinsir should have been in Generation I. Finally, a Bug type that can pack a punch.

Honourable mentions: Steelix, Miltank, Lanturn

Least Favourites (again, no particular order)
Delibird
Decent concept, horrendous execution.

Smeargle
Awful in every conceivable way.

All of the Baby Pokemon
Breeding, and the subsequent addition of baby Pokemon, was my least favourite feature of Generation II. It was an arduous, tedious process with no payoff except a weak, pointless pre-evolution of a Generation I Pokemon.

Ledyba/Ledian
Didn't we already have enough Bug/Flying types? All of which significantly better than either of these two.

Schuckle
Utterly pointless.

Sunflora/Corsola
Just plain sh*t.

(Dis)honourable Mentions: Aipom, Qwilfish, Magcargo, Bellossom

Years
Hmm. I enjoy Steelix and Tyranitar but haven't used Stantler or Girafrig. Both of those Pokémon are extremely forgettable.
Wow. Just . . . wow. I completely forgot about Sneasel and that I already posted here. My bad. But I still think that Stantler and Girafrig are forgettable in my opinion ohohoho!

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen today
I love virtually all of Gen 2, if I had to pick a favourite I'd say probably Granbull and if I had to pick a least favourite I guess it'd be Hitmontop

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 19, 2019
My favourites are Dunsparce and Flaaffy. I can't really think of a Pokémon I dislike, but there are many forgettable ones like Stantler and Girafarig...

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
My favorite two Pokemon from Johto are Umbreon and Lugia. I absolutely love their designs, and admit that I have a preference to them due to nostalgia. I have fond memories of raising my first Umbreon in my Silver, and Lugia really grew on me after seeing the second movie when it came out :3

Least favorites are hard, because Johto has my favorite Pokemon designs! I guess I would say Smeargle, Milktank, and Sudowoodo.

Cloche

エスパーレディ
Years
Favorites: Cyndaquil, Quilava, Houndoom, Houndor, Espeon, Umbreon, Misdreavus, Ampharos, Octillary

Least Favorites: Stantler, Ursaring, Steelix, Snubbel

Years
  • Age 28
  • Online now
Yesterday I ranked the Gen 1 Pokemon, now it's time for the Gen 2 Pokemon to be ranked.

S Rank (Absolute favourite):
Spoiler:

A Rank (Love):
Spoiler:

B Rank (Really like):
Spoiler:

C Rank (Like):
Spoiler:

D Rank (Meh):
Spoiler:

E Rank (Dislike):
Spoiler:

F Rank (Hate):
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Also Shuckle. I don't quite realize what the point of it ever was o:

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
Years
My most favorite one is Sneasel. Always has been, is, and will be my favorite Generation II Pok?mon.

As for least favorite... Well, I don't really hate them, but I'm just not so fond of Sentret and Furret.

Years
There was a lot of amazing Pokemon introduced in Gen 2, my favourite is probably Sneasel or Espeon/Umbreon whilst my least favourite is Granbull, I just don't really like its design :/

calenlily

Water trainer with a Rowlet addiction
Years
My single favorite probably has to be Girafarig. A psychic type that's immune to ghost-type moves and has a high-powered dark-type move to take out ghosts and other psychics, as well as all the typical strengths of a psychic type. It doesn't have the sheer speed and special attack stats of the Abra line, sure, but it's way more balanced, and none of its stats are bad. Yeah, it's super weird-looking, but it's the kind of weird I find strangely charming.

I'm also very fond of the Chinchou and Wooper lines; water/electric and water/ground were such fun typings to add, and both lines have movesets that make the typing worthwhile (even if grinding Chinchou to L25 to get Spark is rather annoying).

I don't like the Totodile line. This is a purely petty and shallow dislike, I just think they're ugly. And it annoys me because I usually like to go for the water starter.

Single least favorite is probably Wobuffet. Incredibly obnoxious to fight, but not very useful to have on your team in game.

kitarei

☕ milk tea & 💻 code.
Years
Favorites:
Spr_2s_180.png
Spr_2s_155.png
Spr_2s_251.png

Least Favs:
Spr_2s_210.png
Spr_2s_195.png
Spr_2s_175.png

ToWriteLove

On Her Arms
Years
My favorite Pokemon from Johto are weirdly Wobbuffet and Ho-Oh. Wobbuffet has always been entertaining to me, and was one of my favorites from the TV series when I was a kid. As for Ho-Oh, he is my favorite legendary Pokemon out of all the Gen's, and one of the few that I actually like since I am not a big fan of legendaries. Honestly don't really have one that I really dislike from Johto. I just dislike the missed potential out of Qwilfish, which I feel like could have received a cool evolution.

Last edited:

Svartulv

the black wind howls.
Years
Well, this hits a special place of my heart. My favorite Pokémon from this generation is Typhlosion (also my all-time favorite), because I had Cyndaquil as my first Pokémon ever <3 I loved playing Gold at the time.

Absolitetion

Deemed to be a demon, but an angel inside.
Years
Cyndaquil - Just so cute.
Ariados - I just really love its design. Even though I hate spiders in real life...
Quagsire - I really like its goofy character.
Espeon/Umbreon - Some of the best Eeveelutions.
Tyranitar - For me the most badass pseudo-legendary.

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
Some of my favourites include:

214.png
196.png
197.png
229.png
230.png
181.png
243.png
157.png
176.png
189.png
200.png
154.png
182.png
162.png
241.png
222.png
212.png
184.png
186.png
171.png

And least favourites? Well, I don't really have any least favourites... some pokemon are "meh" like Ursaring and Stantler, but they're also not too bad.

Back