• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

About gen II spriting...

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen today
Well... I need a good/decent tutorial about how to sprite in gen II style and common mistakes. I've searched tutorials but I can't find any decent.

TaviTurnip

Artist and Streamer | Also a turnip
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Basically, Gen II sprites use "dithering", which is a concept similar to shading properly, except in places where you'd use a lighter color, you criss-cross white + the color. For darker shading, you cross black + the color. In the end it gives the illusion of shading and even of having more than two colors. I personally find it a super tricky concept to work with and am thus terrible at Gen II sprites entirely. You can find numerous examples of what this looks like all over the game though. Look at any Pokémon in it, really :P

You could maybe try practicing it by taking a Gen III sprite and redoing the shading from the bottom up, using just two colors, dithering where the more contrasting shades are. I doubt people will be too judgmental if it's "not perfect" and of course practice makes perfect.

Years
Apart from what TaviTurnip said, I want to highlight the restrictions for Gen 2 spriting which I believe are:

• 56x56 resolution
  • A pure black and a background white which I think is (#F8F8F8) and 2 palette colours.

This means you'll have to be creative with the way you angle/pose the sprite and how you manage the colours and shading. I would also recommend to keep the shading at a low unless your palette works otherwise ie. 2 shades of a colour + f8f8f8 + black.
And as always, use the official sprites as references which is something I often do and how I learned the style. Just looking and studying the sprite can be a guide in itself.

Back