• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga How do you read manga?

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
Well, I try to buy what I can, so I have a few on paperback. But considering not many things are licensed in my country (and buying Yen-Press or VIZ stuff is pretty expensive, with shipping and all), I am forced to read digitally.

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
Years
As expensive as it is, I prefer reading it physically. There's something so nice about holding a book in your hands.

Years
I've only ever read physical copies. I'm not big on reading stories online, it just isn't the same experience and I find that my eyes get rather sore after staring at a screen for too long.

Besides, I like reading as a means of unwinding and distancing myself from technology.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
Paperback if I can but often I just end up reading it digitally, on my phone. It's more convenient when on public transport etc. :D

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
Years
i dont read manga as often as i used to but i tend to read it physically. rarely i read it on my phone though, tend to be doing that more often as the library near me has garbage manga selection.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
I have never been able to read manga on my computer screen. I dunno why, but I just... can't. So for years and years I'd have to buy paperback copies which... was fine, I guess, since it meant I was buying it officially and not reading scanlations, but it also meant I just didn't really read any manga.

But for some reason reading it on my phone via kindle works great and doesn't bug me at all, so I basically buy all my manga there now. I mostly read in Japanese now because ultra weeb and god it's so cheap there!!! Only like ¥450 per volume and occasional discounts when you buy the entire series. *_* So basically that's how I read all my manga now and it's absolutely wonderful.

Years
Digitally. The scans are rubbish a lot of the time and it can hurt my eyes, but obtaining paperbacks would be expensive and effortful. Besides, hardbacks is where it's at. Hardback manga + Sucker for Pain + a hidden forest grotto = heaven unrivalled.

Greenbacks are nothing to be sneezed at, though.

Years
Digitally. I'd lovelove to read and own paperback, but shipping is slow and translations into English even slower. Going to consider buying digital chapters when they're translated on my phone though, or perhaps a kindle if I buy one! The desire to have a bookshelf full of manga is real.......

GanguEevee

~Calamity Trigger~
Years
I like reading manga physically and on a soft cover. I don't really liked hard covers on books that much, especially on manga. TBH, I think of softcover when I think of comics, graphic novels and manga.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 30, 2020
Physical media all the way unless digital is literally my only option. Softcover, hardcover, I'm not terribly picky either way, though I buy softcover because it's either my only option, or even when I have other optons, it's usually cheaper.

Though I might decide to go harcover for certain volumes of a series I'd like to read because some of the old hardcover editions are slighly cheaper while containing the same amount of content as the current softcover editions.

So really, I can go either way. Not picky, but I'll go with whatever is friendlier to my wallet.

Back