• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do I make a rom "No Exp"

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Oct 31, 2018
I've seen a view videos on YouTube that have me interested in making a no exp ROM. I don't really have experience editing HEX but apparently there is a code that gives you exp after every Pokemon. So i guess we have to surgically remove that from the code... I want to add this modification to Pokemon Firered. If anyone could help me I would greatly appreciate it, and plus it might be fun little project for some of you guys!

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Nov 18, 2023
I've seen a view videos on YouTube that have me interested in making a no exp ROM. I don't really have experience editing HEX but apparently there is a code that gives you exp after every Pokemon. So i guess we have to surgically remove that from the code... I want to add this modification to Pokemon Firered. If anyone could help me I would greatly appreciate it, and plus it might be fun little project for some of you guys!

All done! Took me about 10 minutes, patch file linked below.

Basically it was as simple as making an ASM routine that tricks the game into thinking your party is already max level so it wont award any xp. Here is the original research if you are interested.

Patch this file to a clean FireRed v1.0 rom using Lunar IPS and you will not gain any xp the entire game.

Attachments

• noxp.ips
    95 bytes · Views: 947
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Oct 31, 2018
Every time I finish the rival battle at the beginning it seems to just freeze when i would be getting xp :*(. I do remember in one of the videos the guy who made it said something along the lines of taking out the command to give xp. I'm 100% a rookie when it comes to editing Pokemon games though.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Nov 18, 2023
Every time I finish the rival battle at the beginning it seems to just freeze when i would be getting xp :*(. I do remember in one of the videos the guy who made it said something along the lines of taking out the command to give xp. I'm 100% a rookie when it comes to editing Pokemon games though.

Did you apply it to FireRed v1.1 or v1.0? You need 1.0. Otherwise it's quite possible you may have applied it wrong. I've retested the patch and it still works. What emulator are you using?

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Oct 31, 2018
I was using the v1.1! As soon as I went to the 1.0 it worked perfectly, thank you for helping me out!

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Nov 18, 2023
I was using the v1.1! As soon as I went to the 1.0 it worked perfectly, thank you for helping me out!

Glad it works! As a general rule of thumb, most FireRed hacks are to be patched over v1.0. No idea why, but it's a good thing to know for the future.

Have fun with your most-likely-impossible-to-beat hack!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 20, 2018
Heya,

would you be able to make such a patch for emerald as well?

All ways I found to turn off exp alter the ROM so much that it can't be randomised anymore and I would love to try a randomised no exp challenge in emerald.

Thanks!

Years
  • Age 44
  • Seen Jun 3, 2022
Thank you so much, I was finding this patch for a long time, really appreciated ! 👍

Back