• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Proposal for Available Pokemon in Hacks

Years
  • Seen Apr 26, 2014
In hacks, when people want to put in a Fakemon or a pokemon from a later generation, the question of which pokemon to remove to make room for it usually comes up. It will then undoubtedly piss someone off when their favourite pokemon isn't in the game. How about doing the following instead?

Step 0: Remove Nidoran F/Nidorina if you want (nidoqueen is sterile)
Step 1: Remove incense pre-evolutions like Azurill, and make the incense unobtainable in game.
Step 2: Remove Ditto (this is required for the next steps)
Step 3: Remove as many NFE genderless and all male pokemon as required
Step 4: If more slots are needed, change the gender ratio of pokemon that could plausibly be all male (Eg Alakazam, Machamp) so they are all male, and pokemon that could plausibly be Genderless (eg Probopass) to that, then remove the NFEs
Step 5: If more are needed, make pokemon with forgettable pre-evolutions all male and remove the NFEs.

These steps remove pokemon, but would be unnoticeable in gameplay. Nobody would notice that Wynaut is dummied out, because in game people only care about using Wobbuffett, which will still be obtainable. In most gamers' eyes, Staryu and Starmie are 2 halves of the same pokemon, and Staryu's only purpose is to evolve into starmie. While many people will be upset if they can't obtain Porygon-2 without trading, they won't be upset if you can't find porygon in the wild, even if you can find porygon 2. It also means there are more pokemon to use later in the game, and trainers can have a much larger variety of pokemon used. Furthermore, the pokemon removed would be unobtainable even if they were in the coding (provided ditto is removed), and will stand up to player scrutiny (even though 95% of players won't bother breeding their magnezone in a hack).

Using the above techniques, you could probably "fit" all 649 pokemon into a Gen 4 game.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
Staryu and Starmie are 2 halves of the same pokemon, and Staryu's only purpose is to evolve into starmie.

um what you can say that about every single unevolved pokemon and just get rid of every single NFE. That's not how Pokemon works lol, you're meant to start weak and evolve to get stronger and be awesome.

Why not just use spare slots and/or make your own?

And with your tactic, that's not fitting 649 Pokemon, that's having 493/386 different Pokemon.

Last edited:
Years
I have to agree with Ninja Caterpie here. Removing all/most of the No-Fully-Evolved Pokémon isn't much good in a hack. Starting off weak is the whole point of playing through most hacks out there (ie, if they have a League you need to beat, startingout strong would be... just plain boring).

While I know what you're saying, this seems to be based around you're opinion, and while some other people might share this, I can't really see alot of people agreeing...
These steps remove [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]pokemon[/COLOR][/COLOR], but would be unnoticeable in gameplay. Nobody would notice that Wynaut is dummied out, because in game people only care about using Wobbuffett, which will still be obtainable. In most gamers' eyes, Staryu and Starmie are 2 halves of the same pokemon, and Staryu's only purpose is to evolve into starmie. While many people will be upset if they can't obtain Porygon-2 without trading, they won't be upset if you can't find porygon in the wild, even if you can find porygon 2

This is your opinion, really. That's about it. As I said, some may agree, but I doubt many would.

It also means there are more pokemon to use later in the game, and trainers can have a much larger variety of pokemon used. Furthermore, the pokemon removed would be unobtainable even if they were in the coding (provided ditto is removed), and will stand up to player scrutiny (even though 95% of players won't bother breeding their magnezone in a hack).

This, I guess, is closer to fact. From what I've seen people don't often make use of breeding facilities in hacks (unless they want a particular Pokémon that can only be obtained by breeding). As I said, this is rarely the case.
Although your point of view is interesting... It's be good to have a wide variety of Pokemon later in the game, as opposed to being spammed with dragons and pseudo legends. But your technique... If it involves removing weaker Pokémon, I can't see many people being too happy with it.

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
Hm, this is interesting. While I agree with some of your ideas, I think that getting rid of Ditto would be a very bad maneuver. Ditto is an integral part of any breeder's "arsenal" and breeding is an integral part of the game for many players. So yes, this strategy will free up a lot of possible spaces but you'll be annoying a lot of potential gamers as well. I think that the best proposal would be to cut pokémon that aren't likely to be missed. Of course, people have different favorite pokémon so you can't please everybody all the time but I'm sure you could find a couple pokémon that most gamers wouldn't cry over. And in the end, it's your game so (unless you're aiming to please the masses) you can cut whatever pokémon you want.

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
There is actually another way that involves repointing...

That kinda means that first you must know how to edit evolution & moveset data for pokemon (without a tool of course).
Besides, you have to know where the game points to the locations of evolution & moveset datas and to the start of pointer data.

That way, it would be possible to put 0xFFFF number of pokemons in a hack (or 65535) if there was enough space.

Ivee

Ask me about Trailblazer :3
Years
  • Seen May 22, 2019
I say just use your own judgment on what Pokemon are redundant/useless/you don't like and take it from there. For example, I really don't like the Pidgey line, I find most other normal birds to be way better (especially Spearow), but for some reason Pidgey is a fan favorite. If players are sad that their favorite Pokemon are absent, they can easily download a copy of Advance Map and make their own modification.

To be honest, I am confused by numbers 3 and 4 in the proposal. Why does it matter if certain species are all male or genderless? Gender rarely comes into play during the normal game.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
To be honest, I am confused by numbers 3 and 4 in the proposal. Why does it matter if certain species are all male or genderless? Gender rarely comes into play during the normal game.

So that breeders can't breed those Pokes and go 'wtf where's my preevo'.

Equin

Got it memorized?
Years
  • Seen Dec 14, 2010
I don't agree with you at all.
First of all, making a pre-evolution of a pokemon unobtainable while you can-either directly or not-obtain the final evolution is rather weird, considering as in all games so far, evoluting is a step of gameplay. Likewise, you don't know if certain people want to keep their pokemon from evolving for a while, be it because they want a moveset boost or grown a liking to that certain pokemon. Finally, as the others above me said, breeding is an important gameplay aspect, as competitive battling could also be.

'So, since we eventually grow old, why not stop being young in the first place?'

Practically:
Nobody would notice that Wynaut is dummied out
I would. I love Wynaut, Wobuffet is a muss

In most gamers' eyes, Staryu and Starmie are 2 halves of the same pokemon, and Staryu's only purpose is to evolve into starmie.
'Being two halves of a same pokemon' and 'only purpose is to evolve' at the same time doesn't make sense to me at all

Using the above techniques, you could probably "fit" all 649 pokemon into a Gen 4 game.
You mean about 450, using the above techniques

We can't have everything we want. Having a good variety is one good thing, but messing around with what you mentioned looks worse to me. More importantly, in a hack, available pokemon isn't everything. I could mostly enjoy a hack with a lone Ratatta attached to me the whole time; Identity, for example, gives me that feeling. Having a wide variety of different regions' pokemon by sacrificing the primal aspect of evolution for a lone region or two is plain inadequacy for me. Still, I see how you thought this out, and appreciate the time you gave into it. Thanks for the idea, perhaps somebody else will appreciate it more than I will.

After some thought, I hereby declare that the starter pokemon of my hack will be Farfetch'd and I shall adore it, make it a one-off, and it will own them Gym leaders big time.

Years
I don't really like what your getting at. I mean, I can see wanting to make more room than the 25 extra slots, but people will always want their faves, which a lot of the time are the cuter, less evolved versions. Go ahead and do what you gotta do, but feedback may not be the best for it

metalflygon08

BIG PECKS
Years
  • Seen Jul 31, 2016
So your saying just start out with charizard? Catch Raticates and Pidgeots on Route 1 and Butterfrees, Beedrills, and Raichus in Viridian Forest? just to make room?
and to get rid of the Hitmons because their only male, and making one species male/female only does not free up any more room,

That's lame

Here's some real tips,

If DS hacking, MERGE the Nido Family, so the King/Queen is a gender difference (Had they been introduced at a later date that's how it would have been). Get rid of Legendaries you won't see in the game, get rid of starters you won't see in game, remove event Pokemon you won't see ingame.

It's the best way on the DS due to the DS games losing those 30 somthing slot's after Celebi and before Treecko.

Though in HG/SS you have to edit the OW to so you get 8 times the extra sprite work.

altariaking

Needs NO VMs...
Years
Oh I just caught a wild Salamence somehow, now I'm going to breed it with my other Salamence!
Some time later...
WTF my Salamence gave birth to another Salamence where the hell is my Bagon? Now I'm never gonna complete my Pokedex...

Honestly, I think it's a better idea to instead just find a way to actually expand the Pokedex and amount of Pokemon, although that would take a long time, if possible at all. Hey, it's possible for GBA hacks, so why not DS? Just would be harder is all :\

Back