• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Research: Expanding the Storage System

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 20, 2016
Yeah, but a hacker who wants to add all that but maintain compatibility would likely try and go the Time Capsule route and filter what heads into the link rooms when connected to a vanilla game. At the very very least, a bunch of hacks keep link functionality so that their player's can link to each other while playing the same hack which the OT thing partially botches. I'm not saying that your solution isn't great and perfect for most people, I'm just saying that those that are worried about compatibility will naturally have workarounds to keep all of the new innovations while maintaining it. Those hackers are probably going to feel that losing OT info is too big a loss.

But like you said, once the knowledge of how to compress, hack the boxes to support the new format, and decompress/regenerate when withdrawn is out there, people can tailor this to their needs. So the point is moot (unless someone somehow magically comes up with a better way to do this that we're just not seeing that preserves more with less).
Has anyone even done that Time Capsule thing though? Also, I'd point out that for compatibility with the same ROM, you aren't even losing that much. You'd lose out on link battles, but that's already dead when you start hacking in stuff like Mega Evolution and other battle script stuff. So we're really only realistically "losing" trade support. And for trade support, all that really changes is that the OTID of the traded Pokemon eventually becomes the new owner's OTID. It doesn't even lose nature, shininess, gender, etc, because that would be correctly calculated the first time it is deposited in the PC. I mean. We could even give up the obedience bit to be a marker for "this was traded from another game." It wouldn't accurately display the original owner's name, but it could still get boosted experience and breed more frequently at the daycare. I don't know. Maybe I care less because 99% of the time I'm playing a ROM Hack, I'm playing on my phone, so I've literally never linked with another game.

thedarkdragon11

New World Pirate
Years
Using the 36 byte per Pokemon I wrote out in my last post would allow for 31 boxes = 930 Pokemon, same as Gen VI. In game trade info would be saved. See my initial post where I discussed original trainer.

I see... Well, that's great and is good for at least a "Gotta Catch 'Em All" Gen. 7 hack...

I hope that would be implemented in the future...

BluRose

blu rass
Years
If this is an outdated thread, sorry for posting, but I would like clarification on whether this routine expands the number of boxes to 31, if you can expand the number past that, and how to insert the routine in the first place. You can delete this if I'm bumping an old thread.
there isn't a routine, this is just a discussion regarding logistics of making a system like it
the aim of the theoretical system would be just the ability to compact more pokemon into the space available in the ram for the boxes
it would require a massive overhaul of how it's currently done, from generation of the mon (in the numerous places it's done) to the mon decrypter/encrypter routines to displaying mon info in the pc to literally everything pokémon data
it would be a massive project and would absolutely shatter compatibility with literally any other rom

EDIT:
and probably all the trading itself, a lot would be broken ahaha

Last edited:
Back