• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Worst Rival Awards

TaviTurnip

Artist and Streamer | Also a turnip
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Mar 21, 2024
Having only played Gens I-V, I feel like RSE sadly are the lacking ones regarding rivals. I appreciate that Brendan is an idiot who didn't know girls could fight but I don't think either he or May actually "matter" in the game at all. They just sort of occur occasionally. Wally is the same. He doesn't actually do anything to/for the player. The rivals in every other game (even Black/White!) are very willing to engage you for their own purposes, but in RSE it's just "hey, remember us?" :(

Resolve

I have it
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Apr 2, 2020
Nothing's worse than those three friends in Gen 6 who are poor excuses of the term "Rival".

Last edited:

Miss Wendighost

Satan's Little Princess
Years
No offense to Alola fans, but I don't think Hau was a good rival. Unlike other rivals which try to halt your progress by defeating you, Hau just lets himself lose. Hope Gamefreak makes a better rival in the next generation.

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
Years
X and Y rivals were completely lacking and mostly just bored me. They're forgettable and didn't contribute either. :(

Mawa

The typo Queen
Years
I love gen 6, but I have to admit the rivals sucks. First, there is 3 of them. I don't know, but I think that's too much. I don't understand why they did not focus on one character and make it a good one.

I like Hau as a character. As a rival, not so much. We can't say he's a good rival? He picked the weak starter against you, like, come on that is not a rival. Gladion feels more like a rival for me.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Nov 1, 2023
Definitely have to be the gen 6 rivals.

Everyone complains about May/Brendan and I agree that fight sucks, but that's mostly due to poor game design. Early in the game they put up a good fight.

Hugh is pretty standard by rival standards. I don't see why people hate him as he's just basic. He gets the job done.

I actually like Hau. I like how's he's friendly to you and not everyone in the planet wants to battle you seriously. Plus, I saw Gladion as our proper rival anyway considering he had the Sivally that changed depending on your starter.

The gen 6 rivals are complete trash. I'll be fair to the "friend" characters as they aren't technically rivals. They still suck as they barely put up a fight. But I'll only focus on Selena/Calem. They suck. They suck hard. They barely catch up in levels to you, they're the most boring people imaginable, the writers try to force this rivalry on you, but it comes off as so forced. It's awful. Every time I fought them, I was so disatisfied and that grew with my recent playthrough of Y. To make matters worse the character gets worse every time you see them. They get more frustrated with you and are clearly mad about losing, but....they never address this point? Ever? And then your rival acts so nice to you after the climax of the story...what? It's just terrible.

Say what you want about the other character's but I'd rather have bland writing that writing that makes me want to pull my hair out.

Back