• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

LGBT in Pokemon?

Jigglymilk

Night Of The Final Day
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 12, 2016
Equality for the LGBT community has come a long way, and after watching Paranorman, which had a gay character, I began to wonder if Pokemon will ever have one? I know the anime is a stretch, as i'm sure a lot of parents would complain (though i don't see the harm in it). It doesn't even have to be a main plot point, just a character who HAPPENS to be gay. The games seem like they'd POSSIBLY have more of a chance... RPG's are typically tolerant of that kind of thing. I personally would love to see Pokemon, a franchise that I love, shed some light on equality. Would you mind Pokemon promoting the LGBT community, even with just a small background character or trainer in the games?

Years
  • Seen Nov 19, 2013
There really isn't a lot of couples in the games, but a LBGT couple for trainers or in a random house would be fine with me.

Cassiopeiia

Floating
Years
They should change the mechanics of Attract to make it so that certain Pokémon can be infatuated with same-gender Pokémon! ^^

I think it would be cool if there was a gay or lesbian side-character in the next game, but I don't think GF/Nintendo would have the balls...

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
There's a trans trainer in the manga. Not even kidding. In "How I Became a Pokemon Card", a series of one-off chapters that explain how a Pokemon got to be in the position it is on the cards, one of the trainers is biologically female but identifies as male. It actually addresses gender roles too - said trainer is really upset that his parents gave him a Pikachu, because it isn't boyish enough, and runs off because he wanted something cooler. His friend follows him and scolds him, saying he's not acting like a boy or a girl, just pathetic, and then the Pikachu saves his life in the forest and he embraces the idea that Pikachu is cool in its own way. :)

Jigglymilk

Night Of The Final Day
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 12, 2016
There's a trans trainer in the manga. Not even kidding. In "How I Became a Pokemon Card", a series of one-off chapters that explain how a Pokemon got to be in the position it is on the cards, one of the trainers is biologically female but identifies as male. It actually addresses gender roles too - said trainer is really upset that his parents gave him a Pikachu, because it isn't boyish enough, and runs off because he wanted something cooler. His friend follows him and scolds him, saying he's not acting like a boy or a girl, just pathetic, and then the Pikachu saves his life in the forest and he embraces the idea that Pikachu is cool in its own way. :)

WOW! Thats amazing. I don't know if this counts, but I think a cross-dressing male appeared in HG/SS (Not sure if he was on G/S/C). In Janine's gym, where every is dressed like her, there is a boy dressed as her. He also comments "What's wrong with a boy dressing like Janine?" ALSO, thanks to everyone for being so LGBT friendly on this thread :)

Years
In episode 28 of the anime, there's a woman with a very deep voice(at least in the English dub anyways). It's the one where Brock gets Vulpix from the Breeder chick he was attempting to court.

She has a couple lines and Team Rocket takes her Chansey, but they don't go into detail about the trainer and no one pays any mind to her gender or orientation....Team Rocket stealing Pokemon is more of an issue than whats under the dress and the character is spoken to like any other in the series who asks the trio for help.

Years
Oh yes, it would be so nice, if there were more LGBT characters in general, not only in Pokémon.

I totally agree with Cassiopeiia. They should change the may the move Attraction and ability Cute Charm work, so that same-gender Pokémon can be attracted to one another.

Maybe in generation 12, we will finally see a homosexual couple in Pokémon xD

Cassiopeiia

Floating
Years
Wouldn't making Attract work regardless of gender OP the move?

It kind of would, wouldn't it.

I suppose they could make it so that each Pokémon is assigned a random sexual orientation, and Attract would work accordingly.

But that... would be very very silly. *u*
Additionally, your prized Eevee might turn out to be asexual, and refuse to breed, it wouldn't be much fun..

Jigglymilk

Night Of The Final Day
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 12, 2016
It kind of would, wouldn't it.

I suppose they could make it so that each Pokémon is assigned a random sexual orientation, and Attract would work accordingly.

But that... would be very very silly. *u*
Additionally, your prized Eevee might turn out to be asexual, and refuse to breed, it wouldn't be much fun..

I actually love that idea lol! Like next to the pokemons abillity is it's attraction, it could say male, female, both or none. Lots of possibillities... but I don't think we'll see it for a LOOOONG time, if ever :|

Melody

Banned
Years
lol.

On the idea of Attract, they could use the same odds of finding a shiny, that once in a while you'd actually successfully "Attract" or be "Attracted" by a Pokemon of the same gender. I doubt anyone who might find that offensive would notice.

Personally I'd find it nice if they offered a way to "change your outfit" and conveniently didn't restrict your choice of clothing. Perhaps be able to pick a boy or girl, and then your trainer outfit for the entire game out of a pool of all possible trainer outfits. :3

But that might be considered too bold a move. Hard to say if GF or Nintendo would ever do that.

Years
But doing that would make breeding competitive Pokemon even more of a hassle. If you bred a Pokemon with nearly perfect IV's and wanted to continue using it in your chain and it's gay or not attracted to anything, then you're out of luck....unless you force the Pokemon to breed or they add in a Pokemon Artificial Insemenater.

I think it'd be better just to keep attraction out of the game because it'll become too much of a hassle to implement the system....and we could then get rid of the Attract move and make everyone who XP trains against Audinos happy. :D

Somniac

Probably sleeping.
Years
Pretty sure Wallace is highly 'fabulous'.

In all seriousness, I really see no need. Myself I'd rather if people just didn't care about my, or anyone else's sexuality. I see no need for people to hold up a flag on my behalf just to say 'look we except you!'.

lol.

On the idea of Attract, they could use the same odds of finding a shiny, that once in a while you'd actually successfully "Attract" or be "Attracted" by a Pokemon of the same gender. I doubt anyone who might find that offensive would notice.

Personally I'd find it nice if they offered a way to "change your outfit" and conveniently didn't restrict your choice of clothing. Perhaps be able to pick a boy or girl, and then your trainer outfit for the entire game out of a pool of all possible trainer outfits. :3

But that might be considered too bold a move. Hard to say if GF or Nintendo would ever do that.

I'd like that, I usually end up playing as a guy because the girls are always wearing extremely feminine clothes and most of them have either a skirt or dress. A pair of jeans really wouldn't be that much to ask right?

Last edited:
Years
I'd like that, I usually end up playing as a guy because the girls are always wearing extremely feminine clothes and most of them have either a skirt or dress. A pair of jeans really wouldn't be that much to ask right?

Nintendo is already at the point where that is a possibility on the handheld's hardware since Monster Hunter Ultimate allows you to both customize the character and change your armor in 5 categories. We just need Pokemon to make that jump. The 3D models in the new game means that they definitely can implement this in the next series of games, if not sooner.

Also, I want the option of wearing a kilt for men. Nothing more badass than an Irish/Scottish Pokemon Master.

Melody

Banned
Years
Nintendo is already at the point where that is a possibility on the handheld's hardware since Monster Hunter Ultimate allows you to both customize the character and change your armor in 5 categories. We just need Pokemon to make that jump. The 3D models in the new game means that they definitely can implement this in the next series of games, if not sooner.

Also, I want the option of wearing a kilt for men. Nothing more badass than an Irish/Scottish Pokemon Master.

While a kilt would be fun, I think it'd be fine to just go all out and let a male player just go for whatever feminine outfit they want.

Years
I'm assuming that if they allow character customization, they'd do the now standard method of giving a large selection like they do with the Mii's and let you go to town without restricting it to male only and female only selections.

Years
  • Seen Nov 19, 2013

Irish Pokemon master? I'm imagining a big guy in a kilt walking into a pub, chugging a few pints of Guinness, then asking the world to battle. Would be the best character in the series.

As far as LGBT, chances are we will just see characters like Wallace, to avoid any potential backlash.

Back