• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Hack of the Year] Judging Round - 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 30
  • PC
  • Seen Jan 28, 2020

Hack of the Year 2015 - Judging Round

Introduction

This is the third and final round of 2015's Hack of the Year competition. Five judges will play and rate all three hacks out of 10 in four categories, Graphics, Story, Gameplay and General Appeal. The hack with the best overall ratings wins the Hack of the Year award. This thread will remain closed, and only judges will post their ratings and comments on the hacks here.

Eligible Hacks

Judges

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023

Spherical Ice's Pokémon Gaia Version

Graphics: 8
Gaia's graphics are definitely understated compared to many hacks. It utilises the basic FireRed look, with custom tiles to complement and expand on whats already available. Spherical seems to have taken a lot of time choosing and tweaking the new tiles to fit the old. There are also graphical tweaks throughout the usual FR scenes and menu. Whilst the graphics don't feel particularly fresh and new they do feel right - the new additions don't seem out of place, don't distract and suit the Generation 3 style perfectly.

Story: 8
I've really enjoyed the story that Gaia develops. There's an element of mystery that builds as the player explores the region. Despite moving between towns a far bit, the story doesn't require you to constantly backtrack as Spherical lets you quick-travel with NPCs, and uses the multi-junctioned map well.

Gameplay: 9
There are plenty of sidequests and mini-missions to do and it really adds to the whole experience. Minigames such as the Battle Marsh and the Bug Catching contest give you a chance to get some cool prizes - but I was happy with just finding a secret Clefairy not far from the start! With lots of secret areas waiting for you to find the right HMs, Spherical has made sure that this game won't get boring anytime soon.

General Appeal: 8
This game feels like a Pokémon game. Honestly, it's so polished and detailed that its easy to get lost in Orbtus. The dialogue was pitched at the right length, the routes were interesting and no part of the game felt stale. I also found it a bit of a struggle at the beginning, until I realised that all my pokemon had terrible IVs and natures and that might have been why. Overall I really enjoyed playing this game.

Total Score: 33

Aethestode's Pokemon Adventure - Red Chapter

Graphics: 7
The highlight of Adventure Red's graphics are its sprites - such as the custom Mega Sprites. However, I think the tileset graphics are a little grating - being a mixmatch of old tiles, new tiles and some less-than-optimal palettes.

Story: 6
Since Adventure Red is largely true to the manga, I feel like evaluating the story simply as a blow-by-blow events is a little unfair. Instead, I'll focus mainly on how well the story is presented, how it unfolds, and how easy it is to follow - unfortunately Adventure Red does struggle with these issues a fair bit.

I'm not familiar with the manga, but I made sure to read a couple of chapters during my play through to help with the comparison. I found some extra inclusions rather... odd - for example, whilst the Brock tournament was a great idea, the triple geodude was not. Seemed like it was probably a reference to later on in the manga, but quirky tweaks like this really left me confused as a player.

Gameplay: 7
The quests you undertake throughout the game are quite varied - and the sheer amount of content is worthy of applause. There's a sense of light humour (although, not all of it is needed in my opinion).

The idea behind this hack is a winner - and the fans clearly love the idea. However, I think the execution has let it down an awful lot. On the surface, this hack is really desirable and on to a winner but it needs some major tweaks before it is technically perfect.

Total Score: 28

Christos' Pokémon Eclipse Version

Eclipse's graphical style is probably best described as FireRed-ish. Most of the tiles are in keeping with the older graphics, with slight adjustments to common tiles (such as the trees) giving it something a bit different. The custom/edited pokemon overworld sprites look good, you'll see quite a few of them in this hack.

Story: 6
I found that I played a lot of the early game (third town in?) without knowing much of whats going on. I caught the odd mention of some misbehaving legendaries, caught a missing cat and had great fun running around but perhaps more guidance early on would have been nice. Maybe I just missed the subtleties.

Gameplay: 5
Eclipse is the kind of game that you can rattle through - I found that it was the shorter of the hacks, time wise perhaps due to the routes being more straight forward and events being quite easy to comprehend and complete (which is good, really!). At this point in time I feel like Eclipse is a lot more unfinished than the other entries, and therefore I've marked down the overall gameplay experience to account for that - I'm sure with more badges, HMs and Sidequests in the future this game will meet a high standard.

General Appeal: 7
This hack is looking good so far, and whilst a strong contender I think its lacking a spark that makes it stand out of the crowd at this point. I'll be interested to see where Christos takes this next year - and I look forward to playing the later beta releases.

Total Score: 25

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024

Spherical Ice's Pokémon Gaia Version

I've always been a fan of FireRed/LeafGreen-style graphics, and Gaia's usage of the base tiles with minor changes and additions is seamless and looks great throughout the game. Wherever a new sprite has been added, it really looks like it could fit in with the original games just as easily. While the graphics are nothing groundbreaking, they work with the look of the game and serve only to enhance the experience.

Story: 7
The story presented in Gaia is great, full of mystery and constant action — every location you visit moves the story forward in some manner. If it doesn't, then you can always find some small sidequest or attraction to keep you busy. We have yet to see a conclusion to the story, but the way you end up chasing the villains across the region as they capture the Regis is exciting and assuredly building up to a unique finale. I think the only fault I have with the story so far is also one of its best parts — the constant movement. The story keeps you moving throughout the region on small "missions" for the Professor, and because of this it is very easy to just breeze through a lot of areas and miss some of the other stuff that you can find.

Gameplay: 9
Gaia's gameplay is just so… complete. Every single place you go there is something new to do, whether it be finding the secret entrance to a cave (if only it was a bit better hidden) or climbing a tower to gain Mega Evolution. Not only does the game keep you interested, it gets better and better the further you get.

Gaia is great. I know a lot of people say this, but it feels like a legitimate game — it all feels very professional. All the "modern" features like the updated battle system and Mega Evolution are fun but they're just icing on the cake, because even without them the game would be great. It's that well done.

Total Score: 31

Aethestode's Pokémon Adventure - Red Chapter

Graphics: 6
The graphics in Adventure Red are a mixed bag. The overworlds look great and so do a lot of the battle sprites. While the graphics have improved a lot since last year, they still suffer from awkward palettes (the trees are a bit too green and the textbox would be better off without the pink) and mismatched styles.

Story: 7
I like the story of the manga, and Adventure Red does a decent job of implementing it. I've read all the way through the Yellow chapter of the manga, so I knew a bit about what to expect, but I quickly felt myself becoming a bit lost. The main story is rather straightforward, and the cutscenes let you know you're on the right track, but the sidequests are a little less obvious.

Gameplay: 6
The gameplay of Adventure Red is great. It gets you hooked on playing. However, the game suffers from a very steep level curve. Maybe I was not playing it right, but after defeating Brock my poor low-teens level team was horrified to face the level 18 Pokémon of Route 3, and the jump following Misty left me reeling a bit. Still, it wasn't impossible as it is balanced by the stronger moves your team can learn — Pikachu learns Thunder ridiculously early.

The number of different events was impressive — there was more than plenty to do. However, a lot of the events suffered because every time I had a script it always ended with the player being warped around, even for something as simple as a person jumping into the water. It was very jarring being moved around all the time. Additionally, the number of small jokes and breaking of the fourth wall were amusing at times but grew rather stale the further I got in.

General Appeal: 7
A great concept, the hack certainly has widespread appeal, and it's easy to see why so many people love the game. Personally I can be very picky when it comes to gameplay, but it was very easy to overlook the instances of awkward dialog and enjoy the game for what it was.

Total Score: 26

Christos's Pokémon Eclipse Version

Graphics: 8
Eclipse has great graphics. Like Gaia, it has a FireRed/LeafGreen style. However, while Gaia is content to use a number of base graphics Eclipse goes all out, using a number of custom tiles and tweaking even more. And it looks great.

Story: 5
The game is rather short (well, relatively speaking), so maybe we'll have to wait until a later release, but the story did not have much development in this release. Instead, I faced a number of sidequests that kept me moving through the towns that ultimately felt "finished" by the time I had moved on.

Gameplay: 8
Eclipse is a really fun game. Everywhere you go there is some small event going on, and while this did not serve to develop an overall story it certainly was fun. I think my favorite was the cemetery, where you sneak in through the back of a house while an NPC distracts the owner. You never do the same thing twice in Eclipse, so while I didn't really know why I was traveling around all that much, I still wanted to.

General Appeal: 6
Eclipse is a great hack, and definitely deserving of praise. I would recommend anyone looking for a quick Pokémon experience to give it a try. However, that's all it is right now: a quick experience. It has a lot of promise but it's not a complete game yet, and I look forward to seeing where it goes.

Total Score: 27

Blah

Free supporter
Years

Adventure Red

Plus Points:
  • Cool to see updates on your rivals and other significant characters in the story
  • I can really dig the relationships between all the characters. I think this is a case of a hack where it's better to have the main character speaking. In general, playing this hack feels like you're playing as a 3rd person, and just sort of guiding the player through their adventure. That's a perfectly fine and unique experience.
  • Underwater bubbles, I like it!
  • Player's talking is actually done well here.
Neutral Points:
  • After every event script I'm facing downwards. My only guess is that you're warping or using facedown. You can warp facing the old direction too :X
  • These trainer tips signs. "Poison hurts", "Pokemon battle". C'mon...lol.
  • When you're running, the player's eyes (male) turn Red. :D
  • Tiles instead of OWs for Staryu in Vermillion City? Why?
  • BLUE KILLED THE ARBOK. THERE'S BLOOD. WHY BLUE, WHY?!?!?

Minus Points:
  • Wild Pokemon battles using empty trainers. Please use ASM. Please.
  • Intro platform has no one standing on it. But someone somewhere is introducing themselves as the champ.
  • On closer inspection BG2 is a transparent image. I'm not sure if that's intentional, but it looks weird.
  • In the overworld, the player sends out Bulbasaur, but I use a random Pokemon in the battle. A small hack would fix this.
  • Dear lord. The ghetto Follow me that Misty does in the cave is giving me cancer.
  • Lots of recycled maps, with very minor/bad edits. It's very obvious which maps are recycled. I know a lot of people recycle indoor maps, but outdoor maps are really noticeable.

Scoring
Graphics:
The graphics in this hack are definitely not it's strong point. There's some mixing and matching going on with custom tiles closer to HGSS, other tiles which are defaults in FireRed as well as what looks like 8-bit tree tiles. I know this hack is pretty old, but I think going back and revamping the tiles would have great merit in making this hack more visually pleasing. Currently the default OW graphics are a little off, and there is absolutely no custom graphics going on here at all. There are a few things that I did like, for example, Mount Moon and the underwater scene where Poliwhirl evolves was visually great. Notice how both of these are isolated from the graphics which is explored during the gameplay. So please, do consider revamping the graphics.
TL;DR: Graphics lack consistency. Some places graphics are good. No customized graphical stuff. Final Score: 2.

Story:
I haven't read the manga which this hack is supposed to be based off of, so perhaps I cannot truly appreciate the story which Athesdote is trying to represent with his hack. However, I like it. Sure, it's probably not his story, but I don't really care about how the story came to be. I think that it's a good story. The character interactions with the NPCs in the game, as well as the emotional connection you end up feeling while playing this game is second to none. I really have my moments when I'm cheering for a certain character's success and that's generally not something you'd experience playing other hacks. I have absolutely no qualms about the story except for Prof. Oak. The guy sucks. The part where I was supposed to call him on the PC, I walked back to his town and talked to him and he didn't say anything. I'm a little salty about that.
TL;DR: As expected from a manga story, the character development and interactions are incomparably higher than in most other hacks. Final Score: 4.25.

Gameplay:
Gameplay and story are probably the hack's strong suit. Unfortunately the gameplay, which would otherwise be excellent, I feel is dragged down by a few things worth mentioning. The first is that certain features are implemented in a sub optimal way. For example, battles vs wild Pokemon are fairly common in this hack's story. The use of an invisible trainer really really makes me sad (you can't run, you can't capture and you end up facing 2 Pokemon even though there's 1 Pokemon the the overworld - it was the case inside Lavender Town's haunted building. The second thing is the spelling and grammatical mistakes. While they're not as frequent and annoying as most of the others seem to think, I did notice them and they're generally very simple fixes (there were a few typos as well). Please read the minus bullet points if you want to know more about the things that should be changed, and the neutral points are minor things that I thought didn't really fall into plus or minus stuff. For the good things, I liked how the player was updated on the progress of his rivals and such. It's something I don't really see at all in other hacks, and I think it leads to some good character development. The player character talking was also a nice touch for this hack specifically. It really does sort out the feelings of the player's character and the type of relationships he has with the people he meets.
TL;DR: Great gameplay is brought down by a few poorly implemented features and heavily recycled maps (which aren't that great tbh). Final Score: 3.25.

General Appeal:
I think that this hacks is very hit or miss on the more advanced hacking community because it does have a lot of pet peeves in there which most of us don't like. For example, short text on non-major characters (1 line interactions), a few spelling/grammar/typos, graphics are very inconsistent. But to really appreciate that this hack is trying to do and what it is, I think it's really important for the player to numb off these elitist feelings and just play the game for what it is. It would be a real shame if you let yourself lose sight of the things which this hack does well because you can't look past the negatives. It's an experience which is better felt first hand than explained. That's what I ended up doing. At the start I couldn't stand the laziness of the signs. Literally 1 line obvious signs; things like: "Pokemon do damage", "Poison hurts", "Routes have wild grass". After a while, I realized that if you looked at this hack with a more comical viewpoint, the minor character scripts and the signs are comedically clever and well written. They're all 1 line, but they're all funny, with the random feels comment. Also some might find it lazy or a stupid work around, but dammit, I've come to like Martha a lot. That stupid old man has some sort of charm to him and he really opened my eyes to the amusing side of this hack. Long live Martha.
TL;DR: Stop being an elitist and getting bothered by the many negatives and you can have fun playing this hack. Final Score: 3.50 + 0.01 (Martha bonus pts).
Final Score: 13.01

Gaia:

Plus Points:
  • Music! I don't know if this is considered good music since I don't music hack. It does sound pleasant enough for my tastes though, so I will consider this a plus.
  • Lots of mini games and mini features here and there. As an ASM hacker, I'm able to appreciate a lot of the invisible stuff!
  • Consistent Graphics style which complements the hack very well
  • Custom sprites, overworlds (for important characters)
  • Customized battle graphics and battle modes. Cool-ish Battle Marsh I could do better, pfft.
  • Excellent mapping! Really liked the maps. The scripts are OK too, but the maps were the superstar I felt like.
  • Great ASM features. Gaia's ASM hacker is really dangerous. That guy is good.
  • Character dialog is often without grammatical or spelling mistakes!
  • SphericalIce put in tonnes of effort. It's very noticeable, things like the Pokedex expansion was done by hand and graphical reworks of various menus too! (OK, they're mostly recolors, but that's something!)

Neutral Points:
  • One sentence trainers get a little annoying after a while. Literally, "Lets battle!", "Ha I saw you!", .... ect.
  • The sheer amount of trainers you have to battle is kinda a lot for my tastes. I'd like to be able to avoid them at times

Minus Points:
  • I keep getting lost. I find myself not knowing which way/where to go and often have to backtrack and re-explore every area. It's almost never immediately obvious what you needed to do. With the absence of a mission log, pathfinder or something similar it's very important to read all dialog carefully. Even if you do that, in the case you've missed something, there is no second chance to go back and review the missed material. Normally the NPC would say something like, "I'm counting on you /v/h01!" ect.
  • Hero is interfering with evil team's agenda for no good reason other than, "Hey guise lets save the Regis".
  • As you can see, I'm very salty about getting after every few events. It was common place for me :<

Scoring

Graphics:
SphericalIce has worked some magic here. Lots of customized graphical elements in this hack. Things like menus, sprites, overworlds, custom graphics (mail, fossils, tiles and such) have been revisited and redone. Out of all the hacks I've had to play for this year's HOTY competition, in terms of graphics, Gaia is heads and shoulders above everyone else. Not only does it share the consistent styling from Pokemon Eclipse, but it also has many other graphical reworks waiting to be discovered. Unfortunately, there aren't any custom built graphical interactions such as a reworked introduction, the cable car cut scene ect. I'm very much anticipating to see those in the upcoming releases!
TL;DR: Best graphics out of the three. Still room for new additions. Final Score: 4.25.

Story:
This is a little tough. I didn't play past the required 4 Gyms needed in this contest in order to keep fair to hacks like Eclipse which only has 4 Gyms. From what I gathered playing through Gaia, it felt like a solve-that-mystery story in which the young player goes around the region discovering bits and clues about the whereabouts of the Regis. At almost every turn, the player is met with this evil team which is also after our beloved tank trio. The spice of the story is supposed to be this interaction with the player, the evil team, and the Regi researchers who've sent the player on his journey. However, I find the evil team to be rather forcefully injected. As the player, I also didn't find a lot of incentive to be interfering with the evil team, other than for the sake of doing what the prof asked me to do. I just didn't feel very absorbed into the story, and I felt as though the player was lacking any meaningful resolve. I can only hope that it picks up during the latter half of the game, but from the first four badges which I've played, I wasn't quite satisfied by the story.
TL;DR: Evil team is slightly misplaced. Their intentions and the player's resolve is unclear. Final Score: 2.

Gameplay:
First of all, I'd like to open mentioning that I got lost a lot. I got lost a lot and that bothers me. I don't consider myself to be stupid, or bad at these kinds of games. I admittedly did skim through a lot of text, because it was really just a large amount of monologueing and pondering with the important information concealed somewhere inside. Besides getting lost at every turn, I also found the evil team's purpose and the player's interaction with them to be rather forced. The incentive just doesn't feel like it's there to me. Other than these two points, I really enjoyed playing through Gaia. There are lots of things to do, from the battle marsh, bug capturing competition to just exploring ingeneral. I find that a lot of the top class mapper's maps are very fun to navigate through, and definitely don't feel linear while playing. There's a lot of secret items and paths to discover, and it makes it really worthwhile to spend a little time walking around. The battle graphics and engine (to some extent) was well updated and felt as though I was playing a newer game. SphericalIce also does well to keep his game updated to the latest works by the RnD community. From little things like permanent TMs, to cooler things like IV scores, and common things like the BW exp and repel features, he's got it all!
TL;DR: Hard to play game when lost a lot. When not lost, game is fun, as expected. Sort of my fault for getting lost. Final Score: 3.5.

General Appeal:
At the end of the day, without any doubt, if I were to replicate all of these hacks from a clean ROM, remaking Gaia would be the hardest. SphericalIce has put in truck loads of work into this hack. There are many behind the scenes works which most people would go without noticing, and plenty of flashy elements too. Of course, with that amount of work put into it, the hack really lives up to its expectations. That said, did I have fun playing Gaia? If someone asked me to play past these 4 required Gyms, I think I'd be a little hesitant. I really think that the game's story and gameplay direction has some room for improvement. While the ROM is very high-end, I know SphericalIce could definitely improve and do far better.
TL;DR: FBI doesn't like getting lost. Game was enjoyable and has a lot to appreciate. Final Score: 3.5.​

Final Score: 13.25

Eclipse:

Plus Points:
  • Music! I don't know if this is considered good music since I don't music hack. It does sound pleasant enough for my tastes though, so I will consider this a plus.
  • I like fuzzy grass. Sure it's just a few byte changes, but it's so fuzzy and cool :3
  • Christos highlights important texts and objectives with separate coloring in his scripts. This allows you to pay attention to the parts which matter while skipping through the decorative dialog which encapsulates the information.
  • Use of an Overworld to give hints of hidden items in tree trunks ect. I find this pretty cool
  • I like the mapping. The maps are pleasant to explore around and the world seems energetic.
  • The Graphics style is very consistent. Christos has made/used a few custom tiles which aren't in the default ROM to enhance the graphical appeal of his maps
  • Character dialog is often without grammatical or spelling mistakes!
  • Characters have modified and/or customized sprites. It's the little things which add up.

Neutral Points:
  • Intro is 1:1 With default FireRed. The titlescreen image has been updated though
  • Is Coral town's gym leader a ghost? Cause her sprite is pixelated
  • Small inconsistency with text colors. EX: The guy in the library with Kirlia doesn't use colored text, but points the player to the next location.

Minus Points:
  • Titlescreen encorporates BG3, which is flashed and replaced by BG2. Results in a quick 1-10 frame flash of BG3. I doubt that's intentional
  • That wild Pokemon tree in the forest is indistinguishable
  • Guy being attacked by a Wingull. Guy orders around Poochyena that doesn't exist in the overworld. Guy leaves me puzzled.
  • HMs like Rockclimb aren't implemented properly. Only on a script level, so they don't appear from the menu.

Scoring
Graphics:
The game itself, while in the overworld (which makes up a majority of the game) is very aesthetically pleasing. However, a lot of the game's graphics remain unchanged and untapped such as battle graphics (outside of the sprites) and the introduction. There is also very minimal graphical hacks implemented in general. That being said, at no point did I find that to be a hindrance. The general feel of the game is very consistent and it keeps true to its own graphics style while having custom aspects such as overworlds, sprites and some tiles. I do encourage the creator do add more graphical elements in order to receive a boosted score in the next HOTY :)
TL;DR: Very consistent. Final Score: 3

Story:
Eclipse is really cool, in the sense that the story is driven through in a unique way. There doesn't exist the typical "evil team" you'd see in a majority of hacks. Instead, Eclipse utilizes to a great extent the player's Pokemon journey to inject various plot elements. As a result, you're able to explore the beautiful world of Eclipse, while at the same time experiencing a story which makes itself clearer and clearer. There is no sense of forced story injection, it all feels rather natural, and I was impressed at how the story went without needing an evil team appearance early to accelerate things. Sometimes keeping things simple is actually the formula to success.
TL;DR: A unique and successful approach to storytelling. Final Score: 3.5

Gameplay:
Out of the three hacks I've been asked to play, I had the most fun playing Pokemon Eclipse. The level curves were fair for the team which I ran, while throwing out challenges which required some level of strategy to overcome (Drapion, I'm looking at you!). I appreciate the occasional challenge, and was very glad that it was left as an uncommon experience - that really made it special. The mapping and scripting in this game is very high-end as well. The maps were fun to navigate in, never felt inconsistent or frustrating, and there were a lot of treats in every map. I think the scripts were brief and well done. They weren't super fancy, and they didn't need to be. What really stood out to me was the text highlighting. I was finally allowed to skim through text without being heavily reprimanded for not reading carefully! I also have to commend Christos for the little things he's put in here and there such as the pathfinder, fuzzy grass and the "sparkle" effect on certain hidden items. Most of the other features are widespread amongst hacks, such as the MrDS patch, BW exp/repels ect. The one thing which I didn't quite enjoy was a few of the half-assed features (Pokenav, Rockclimb). I realize this game is far from completion, and I expect Christos will polish these up!
TL;DR: It was fun. A lot of features were common place in hacks and some were unique. Final Score: 4

General Appeal:
This is kind of weird. I've given Eclipse somewhat high scores in most categories, but I'm still left with the impression that this game is still very much and incomplete project. We weren't presented with an opportunity in the available beta to experience the entirety or majority of the story in place for us, nor has Christos fully modified a lot of the default elements which he probably should. I'm left feeling like I needed more to really put the nail on the coffin. That said, I realise now that I really had fun playing this game, and just wished I could play more. In the end, that's the most important aspect for me.
TL;DR: Incomplete hack is incomplete. Incomplete hack was fun. Fun is good. Final Score: 4

Final Score: 14.5

Guys these scores are out of 5, not 10. The final score is out of 20, not 40. I did this because I wanted to look like a tough judge and give out low numbers. Also, 10 and 40 is too mainstream. As for why I rated Eclipse so high, it was because I was bribed. I feel like I've failed everyone who counted on me to be a fair judge, but the bribe tactics were very powerful.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023

Pokémon: Gaia

Graphics 9/10
Retaining the FRLG style quite closely here, it's hard to give Gaia points in terms of graphical originality. However new graphics aren't the be all, and end all of a game. The important thing is that a style remains consistent and that the visuals remain utilised effectively. In Gaia, I witnessed some mixture of new tiles and old, mostly old, but all of it felt seamless. It's preferable to see a hack lack innovation and pull a style off, than to see a large clash of different tiles that don't suit one another. For that, I can't fault Gaia. The hack itself improved from last year in terms of graphical fidelity. Adding new overworlds for the player character was a good step in the right direction. However, I can't feel comfortable giving a hack full marks without seeing complete innovation in their art style.

Story 6/10
The good thing about Gaia's story is that is has some intriguing premise. The earthquakes we learn about early in the game, the somewhat mysterious areas supposedly dripping with history and the ever constant desire to learn more about what is actually happening keep this one flowing. With that said, there's not much substance in Gaia's available plot. It remains to stay true to the framework set up by the official games we've been playing for over 20 years. It feels as if the hack would benefit from actually focusing on its story a little more and making gym leaders option. As unlike the official games, the desire to beat and face gyms isn't there. There's very little talk of why you're collecting gym badges, the player apparently isn't given much detail on them. Gyms exist, you can battle them (and must do, to progress) but they merely serve as progress trackers. The hack doesn't give you much reason to face gyms other than "you have to".

Gameplay 8/10
At times I sat there playing Gaia and said "darn, this was well put together". The events that happen in the game feel very well put together, the detail in each cut scene is very well looked into. The new features put into the hack really stand out and are, for the most part, a technical marvel. The addition of an integrated IV checker on the Pokémon Summary screen is very useful, except for the fact that IV's are pretty much useless in a game that has no difficulty modes, no online play, a fairly kind difficulty curve and no real incentive to EV train your Pokémon or breed one with "perfect IV's". Not something worth marking the game down for, but hopefully some of these things will come into play in further iterations of the hack.

Gaia is engaging. There's a decent amount of gameplay content to keep the player interested, and I found myself looking forward to coming home after a long day and playing it. It's certainly one of the most polished hacks I've played. At times I was extremely frustrated however. It became difficult to track what you were due to do at points in the game, when some places were vaguely mentioned yet you were expected to recall that you were meant to meet with a character there. Often these places are quite out of the way and easily forgotten. I felt myself wishing there was more prompts, reminders, or accessibility in terms of picking up from where you left off. There was a point in the game where I actually needed to ask someone who'd finished the game on how to progress. Turns out, it requires the player to Google the answer. Which wouldn't be so bad except it's not even obvious you need to Google it either since it's written in Braille and has a very ambiguous undertone.

Gaia's gameplay goes from being some of the most solid I've ever played, to some of the most jarring.

General Appeal 7.5/10
It may seem like Gaia is a hit and miss hack. Which is true to an extent, except that it's one of the most engaging hacks I've ever played. For the most part it's a solid, well balanced hack that follows the path of the official games quite closely. It brings in some new mechanics and ideas to spice up gameplay. Gaia is great for an unfinished hack, and I'm confident Spherical Ice will improve and expand upon it diligently. It's just unfortunate that in a hack as solid as it is, the blunders are just so noticeable and jarring. Thankfully the issues aren't consistently a problem and could be reworked without too much effort.

Total 30.5/40

Pokémon: Eclipse

Graphics 7.5/10
Attempting to stick to the FR/LG style, Eclipse is presented quite well. Eclipse has a lot of great maps that are aided by the traditional style of tiles. The graphics are mostly consistent, and there are some fairly decent new trainer sprites that bring about some originality and personal touch. However when the hack introduces a new tileset it can fail to impress. At times the tiles can clash from one area to the next, particularly in gyms. Some sprites from newer generations are quite rough, and once again the quality can vary in them.

Eclipse isn't a bad looking game by any means, but it doesn't lack a more meticulous artistic touch.

Story 4/10
Eclipse suffers from lack of explaining itself. There is an ambiguous undertone of Pokémon acting strangely which the player gets roped into rectifying from town to town. A story should always be told in its gameplay, yet in this hack it has failed to shine through very much in the demo. At times there is talk of Oracles and mystical orbs, but once again there seems to be a distinct lack of knowledge given to the player. As of finishing the beta, I don't feel compelled or interested in what's going on. The Pokémon didn't seem to be acting all that strangely, they're untamed beasts attacking trainers. Isn't that what we were told would happen if we entered tall grass?

Eclipse lacks premise, there's no real drive behind the player's desire to delve deeper into its story. So we're left with the singular aim to simply go and collect gym badges. A trope which we've been suffering through for decades now, without a decent story it's difficult to keep trudging through. The entire story felt like a grouping of side-quests strung together with a vague pretence. Perhaps we'll get a better taste of the storyline in future betas.

Gameplay 6/10
What I loved about Eclipse was that it came up with new ideas. It doesn't fail to try and introduce new types of key items, interesting encounters and all sorts of small mechanics to keep things fresh. However despite where it can be original, it can also rely too heavily on tropes too. Often when speaking to an NPC I got the same dialogue I heard in previous Pokémon games, as well as much of the progression in the game being all too similar to the main games in the Pokémon franchise.

The main issue with Eclipse is its difficulty curve and unimaginative gym leader battles. Too often I found myself grinding levels against Pokémon more than ten or fifteen levels below the Gym Leader I was continually losing against. In some cases, the highest level of Pokémon I could face were half that of the local Gym Leader. It's understandable that a difficulty curve in a hack won't be perfect during beta, however this was a glaring issue. When I finally found that my Pokémon were at equal levels to that of the Gym Leaders, I still lost. A lot. Some Gym Leaders rely on infuriating movesets to win, too often I was being put to sleep or flinching every other turn. If a Gym Leader battle has to rely on tactics which prevent you from using yours; it isn't difficult, it's just annoying. A player shouldn't be forced to spend the little money they'll have from losing continually to buy copious amounts of potions and revives.

Eclipse teases the player too often into thinking there's a lot of exploration to be had in its beta. Blockades are a common occurrence in this hack, much of the routes and areas you explore in Eclipse will have seemingly many directions in which you can take to explore. However it quickly becomes apparent that a lot of these locations are locked off and you can't enter them until future iterations of the hack. Which isn't inherently a negative thing, but when there's so many of them it makes your path quite linear when you first enter an area. The same issue appears with some mechanics that just don't seem to be working yet, this is especially evident in Sienna City where you can end up giving all your money away to people for no reason. It seems they're meant to work as a Karma trope - you give them money, they give you a rare item -, but was never finished.

It's not all bad though, Eclipse has some lovely new ideas and the scripts are expertly handled with predominantly good grammar. However it's a roller coaster of good and bad for Eclipse in terms of how it plays.

General Appeal 6/10
With great maps, some sweet new ideas and genuinely charming instances of gameplay and characters; I wanted to love Eclipse. However the hack forgets the fundamentals in being fun and telling a story. It'll be interesting to see it take form in the future, since it is clear there is talent behind its creator.

Total: 23.5

Pokémon Adventure - Red Chapter

Graphics 3.5/10
Unfortunately the effort the creator has gone into inserting new tiles and sprites fall flat. This is primarily due to the fact that the tiles used clash massively and there is no clear attempt to maintain a persistent artistic style.

Mapping in Adventure Red isn't some of the worst I've seen, however it's bland and very loose. There is a lack of attention to detail here which really makes maps and their tile placement quite a chore to look upon and walk through.

The hack fails to stick to a particular style in its sprites, tiles and its mapping conventions. It neither compliments the GameFreak style nor really define one of its own due to its mixture of graphical styles and lack of blending.

Story 3/10
Not all Manga should be made into a game. In fact these are two genres which don't mix very well at all. The hack itself lives very true to the manga. This causes a lot of issues in how the story unfolds, a story should be easy to follow and in games should be aided by the gameplay itself. In Adventure Red it feels as if the hack is doing its best to rush from one plot point in the manga to the next without taking into consideration that not everything written and drawn on paper directly translates to in-game events. It would have been a better idea to adapt the Manga, change elements of it so that they work in a game. The story is told quite badly in Pokémon: Adventure, and fails to translate into a game setting very well.

Gameplay 4/10
I immediately felt thrown into the World without so much as an introduction. This is a hack that should focus on telling a story, yet the first thing that happens after you choose you and your rival's name is that you appear on what feels like a programmer's test map. It's wide, open and dotted with NPC's you only feel compelled to talk to because you're not sure what's actually happening.

The game suffers from a lot of mechanical issues, there is an evident lack of ASM used where it needs to be. The level curve could do with some work, I feel that anyone playing without the speed button would struggle to work their way through the more difficult battles in this hack, and even some wild Pokémon are quite highly levelled.

At times, events in the hack can be well scripted, but ruined by badly composed sentences and typos. It's understandable that hacks aren't going to have perfect punctuation and grammar, however frequent misspelled words, regular use of improper punctuation, typos and so on really held this one back.
The most commendable part of this hack is the sheer volume of work gone into it. You can really tell that the creator has worked hard on making a fun experience. However the use of the player speaking, badly composed jokes and jarring railroading of moving the player around during scripts threw me off more often than not.

General Appeal 2/10
Interesting idea, however it is just one that does not work as a game. The talents of Aethestode are misguided into and impossible project. Pokémon Adventure – Red Chapter is something Manga enthusiasts may enjoy, however it does not translate well as a Pokémon game in this setting. A hack inspired by the manga that adapts many of its ideas may have been a better direction to take. However this hack is not one for those who aren't interested in the Manga and have a keen eye for well-placed details.

Total: 12.5/30

Bela

Banned
Years

Pokémon Gaia by Spherical Ice

Graphics: 8/10

The vanilla FireRed style has grown on me. Coupled with them, there are many custom tiles that compliment the style very well. It all seemed to fit very well together. Also, the heroes are edited now! That's always good to see. I also liked the custom battle graphics a lot, it's definitely something I'll consider for my own hack!

Story: 7/10

The story is still a little of a tease, since we don't get a proper resolution in this release. However, it was very well executed. Gaia's story is fairly tame and well grounded in the Pokemon universe, which is nice to see. No insane inter-dimensional hi-jinks here!

Gameplay: 8/10

Gaia's gameplay is fairly well polished, although I have a bit of a gripe with the early game. While I'm glad I had a dozen Potions on hand for the first Gym Leader, I really wasn't counting on his Level 8 Togepi to give my Level 10-12 team as much trouble as it did. I managed to pull through, but it was a real struggle to do so. I feel like the difficulty spiked a little too much at that point, but it was still managable.

General Appeal: 8/10

Overall, I think Gaia has significantly improved since last year. A lot of work has been put into this, and it really shows. There's lots of goodies and features put in that compliment really solid gameplay. It feels like a real Pokemon game. This has been one of the better hacks I've played, so good job Spherical Ice!

Total: 31/40

Pokémon Adventure - Red Chapter by Aethestode

Graphics: 4/10

I can tell the maps were changed around and made different. Different is not always better, though; the layouts of many maps are somewhat awkward to play through. A lot of the palette choices are questionable for maps, with the trees in Viridian Forest being an eyesore.

As I said in my review of Adventure Red last year, I like the Pokemon Adventures manga. It's great that there's someone who has attempted to use hacks as a medium to portray it. I think there's a lot of untapped potential to make this work well.

Gameplay: 5/10

The actual battles themselves are a real chore to play through. Since this is an RPG and the main combat are Pokemon battles, it's not good to make them all frustratingly difficult to play through. I also can't help but notice significant, recurring spelling and grammar errors throughout. This hack really needed a proofreader.

General Appeal: 6/10

Like I said last year, I like the idea of this hack, and admire it taking priority to tell a story--the manga story in this case. However, it would have done better to address its mistakes as they really do stand out to me.

Total: 22/40

Pokémon Eclipse by Christos

Graphics: 6/10

The game is mostly vanilla FireRed, with very few custom tiles and sprites. There's also lots of 1-tile width gaps with ledges that are a real pet peeve of mine. I did like seeing neat little touches like hidden items in the overworld represented by flashing stars.

I wish I was given more details about what's actually happening in this game. It all felt like a series of unconnected events that I just happened to experience sequentially. That said, it was enjoyable enough. Christos, I hope a future release of Eclipse does more to clarify and focus the story!

Gameplay: 6/10

The level curve needs to be addressed. Level spikes are not fun to play against. I know the Gym Leaders are supposed to be a challenge, but there's a point upon which this starts to become absurd. The events were fun to play through. The text neatly highlighted relevant portions of text, which was a nice touch. There's definitely a lot of creativity on display in Eclipse, it just needs some fine-tuning to get it right for playing.

General Appeal: 7/10

I feel like Eclipse has a lot of potential to be a really unique hack, if more time is invested into focusing the story and properly immersing the player into this world. I hope to see more from this hack!

Total: 26/40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back