• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Spinoff/Mobile Niantic applies interaction distance nerf in Pokémon GO

Niantic applies interaction distance nerf in Pokémon GO

Niantic applies interaction distance nerf in Pokémon GO

The pandemic continues, but you’ll still have to get closer to that PokéStop now.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I was sitting on the idea of writing about it, but yesterday seeing htem actually go through with it in NZ prompted me to actually... well, write it. Needs the attention.

Sorry to players in NZ and soon the US for the downgrade in playability.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 9, 2024
I really do think it's stupid and shows they don't pay attention to the worldly news. But the other issue is its not going to stop people from playing either.

Years
Definitely upset about this since US daily case counts are so high right now. It's less about the distance and more about how poor the timing is, especially when one of the two countries that are having their distance removed first are doing so poorly with COVID atm. Fortunately I'm only in the US for a few more days before we move abroad, but does stink knowing it'll be reverted back to the old distance globally soon enough. /:

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
I can see why so many people are angry about this. I haven't played Go since the pandemic started, and now this makes me want to play less since I don't really go outside right now. =/

Diarkia124

The Jack Master
Years
I didn't think the distance nerf would be noticeable but it seems a little significant.

I've also seen some complaints about the distance nerf and how poorly timed it is given how rampant the delta variant is but part of me thinks that some are so spoiled to literally live or work on top of PokeStops and that they really are too afraid to take a few steps outside of the house to hit a stop. My nearest stop is about 3/4 of a mile from my house and my work has no stops since it's on private roads.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Article updated a second time - Niantic have now reversed the decision for the US, effective immediately. More to be heard on this from their task force 1st September still.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 9, 2024
It's about time they finally listened to us. Who knows what they'll have to say on the 1st.

Back