• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Born and Raised Challenge

Tek

Years
---------------------------------------
The Born and Raised Challenge

"Welcome to the ranch, stranger! 'Stables is this way."

(You're a newly hired farm-hand who has just arrived at a state of the art, multi-facility Pokemon Ranch. You've come here to earn a wage, save up some cash, and pursue your dream of being a Trainer... and maybe even the League Champion.)

"Lock the gates back after yeh close 'em. Yer gear's over there."

(You've arrived at your assigned building, after a none-too-short trek through the mud. The place didn't look so grimy from far away... You question your desire to get away from the noise and lights, and garbage cans, and Febreze of urban living. But you've heard that ranch hands that do well are sometimes rewarded with Pokemon eggs to keep.)

"Well, before we get to rollin', lets talk business."

(The old-timer produces a rather long contract and a pen.)

-------

Rules:

-------

I)

-- You must choose a farming department and play until the credits roll for the first time using only pokemon that are from your chosen department. All games that feature the breeding mechanics and a 'final challenge' (pokemon league, etc) are valid.

Clarifications:
  • You may catch pokemon from any department for breeding purposes, and you are allowed to use HM buddies. However, these pokemon are not to participate in any battles other than those against non-legendary wild pokemon. It is OK to give any pokemon an Exp Share or Exp All at any time during the playthrough.
  • Games in which you can't breed until after beating the Elite Four (e.g. LG/FR) have special completion requirements. You must beat the Elite Four again after breeding two pokemon from your department (four pokemon must be bred in Expert mode). These pokemon must be in your team when you challenge the Elite Four.

--The pokemon in each department are listed below, in alphabetical order.

Grass:
Spoiler:

Freshwater:
Spoiler:

Ocean:
Spoiler:

Bug:
Spoiler:

Bird:
Spoiler:

Field:
Spoiler:

Mineral:
Spoiler:

Dragon:
Spoiler:

Monster:
Spoiler:

Fairy:
Spoiler:

Humanesk:
Spoiler:

Genderless
Spoiler:

Amorphous:
Spoiler:

II)

-- You may trade/hack to obtain one pokemon. Said pokemon may know egg moves (moves that it can only learn thru breeding) only if it is traded in to the game.

--You may also trade/hack to obtain one Ditto, in addition to the above-mentioned pokemon. This is in meant to facilitate breeding in games in which ditto is unobtainable, or unavailable until late game.

-- You can choose to play without trading/hacking a pokemon. In this case, as soon as you are able to obtain a pokemon from your department, you must catch and use it. You must use only your starter and HM carrier until you are able to obtain a pokemon from your chosen department.

III)

--By the end of the challenge, at least half of your team must be pokemon obtained through breeding, and one or more of those pokemon must have at least one egg move. These pokemon must be in your team during the final battle of the challenge.

--The egg move must be a move that the pokemon cannot learn via level-up. TM/HM moves and move tutor moves are acceptable as long as they were passed down from a parent.

IV)

-- You may use cheats and trading to obtain any and all breeding related items. Specifically, this includes:
  • Power Weight
  • Power Bracer
  • Power Belt
  • Power Anklet
  • Power Band
  • Power Lens
  • Everstone
  • Destiny Knot

V)

-- Have fun and take your time if you wish! Breeding is a long process, but, in my estimation, the rewards are well worth the effort.

There is an optional challenge mode for those who wish to take breeding TO THE EXTREME!

Please excuse me for shouting. Additional rules for the Expert mode are as follows:

VI)

-- By the end of the game, all pokemon on your team must be obtained through breeding, and all must have at least one egg move that could not be learned via level-up. These pokemon must be in your team during the final battle. Again, TM/HM moves and move tutor moves will fill the egg move requirement, as long as they are passed down through breeding.

--This modifies rule III.

VII)

-- No trading or hacking is allowed, except for those playing R/S/E, B/W, or B2/W2 that have chosen the genderless department. These players may hack/trade to obtain one Ditto and still qualify for Expert.

--As soon as you are able to obtain a pokemon from your department, you must catch and use it. You must use only your starter and HM carrier until you are able to obtain a pokemon from your chosen department.

--This nullifies rules II and IV.

You can revert to regular mode at any time and finish the challenge without starting over.

Can't get enough of dirty stables and pokemon eggs? You might be a Breeding Extraordinaire! To qualify, you must:

• Finish the challenge in six different regions using the same department, or
  • Finish the challenge with six different departments in a single region, or
  • Finish the challenge ten times. All ten runs must have different region/department combinations from each other.

If you are playing G/S/C or HG/SS, you can get two regions completed towards your Extraordinaire qualification. To do so, you must:
  • Have six pokemon in your team obtained through breeding, and two of them must know at least one egg move, passed down from a parent, that can't be learned via level-up.
  • Defeat the Pokemon League a second time after obtaining all of the Kanto badges.
  • You must also defeat Red at Mt. Silver.

A successful Extraordinaire run that is played from start to finish in Expert mode qualifies you as an Expert Breeding Extraordinaire. This means that if you complete an Expert Born and Raised challenge, and then complete a non-expert Born and Raised challenge, your Expert Extraordinaire qualification starts over.

Username:

Game:

Department:

If you are playing a hack, please specify the name of the region in which the game takes place. Please also specify whether you are playing in expert mode.

Ranch Hands:
Spoiler:

Breeders:
Spoiler:

Expert Breeders:
Spoiler:

Breeding Extraordinaires:
Spoiler:

Expert Breeding Extraordinaires:
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Tek

Years
Ok I'm signing up, but because I want to, not because I have to.

Username: YZN
Game: Emerald
Department: Humanesk

Well, I started an Expert challenge an made it to Dewford, but apparently I overwrote that save file, so....

Starting a new challenge in which I will hack in a Hitmonchan to replace my starter. Hitmonchan is my home dog.

Edit: First update.
Spoiler:

Second update:
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Back