• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Google reveals the Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL

Years
All I have to say is... that notch though.

What do you think, guys? I guess Google has a reason for the huge notch: it basically houses the two dual-cameras as well as a speaker grill for two of the front-facing speakers of the phone but.... I dunno. I guess whether that justifies the huge notch depends on the individual, at the end of the day.

2018 has been a really... interesting year for phones, in a way. Interesting in the sense that they've all decided to copy the notch because it's The Popular and Hip thing to do. .-. I hope 2019 will bring about something better.

Last edited:
Years
i saw the pixel 3 in a leaked screenshot months before and at first i didn't believe it would be the official thing. then i saw the #madebygoogle trend in twitter and I noticed how Google doesn't really show the screen of the Pixel so i genuinely expected that that "leak" was unofficial or google changed the design last minute

but nope, it's there, the huge notch is there and i am disappointed :( i hope notches won't be a trend on phones next year. still waiting for the time that the notch would be so popular they'd put it on laptops too

Years
I suppose for those who aren't a huge fan of the notch can opt for the Pixel 3 since it doesn't have one. But if you're a big phone person, you're kind of losing out here since most larger phones bar Samsung devices sport a notch these days.

But yeah, a part of me was kinda hoping that Google was just massively trolling people who were "leaking" the design and come out with a "HA, you didn't really think we'd put a notch, did you??" but that would be giving them too much credit.

Also, having a OnePlus phone, I can't imagine most phones having anything below like... 5/6 GB of RAM these days. Perhaps 4 GB is... fine by smartphone standards for casual use, I suppose? I dunno, perhaps I'm just spoiled in that regard, but the oddly low amount (to me) of RAM is immediately what stuck out to me.

Top Shot seems pretty interesting and I can see people making some use out of that. The call thing where it uses Google Duplex to shoo away call scammers is nice. And the camera is supposedly better than the Pixel 2's, especially when it comes to low-light photography.

I feel like, ultimately, if you have a Pixel 2 or Pixel 2 XL, there's very little compelling reason to upgrade, here. It's more of a sell to people who haven't owned a Pixel phone because it's mostly the software that truly shines and not really the hardware experience aside from the build quality which according to some tech reviewers (like Dave 2D and MK8HD) feels pretty premium.

It's a shame because I was genuinely considering switching devices to a Pixel 3 assuming there would be some significant changes, but nah.

Last edited:

FlameChrome

[color=#7fffd4]IDK what to put here[/color]
Years
honestly, i dont mind the notch per say, as long as the phone performs wells and does what i want it to do. And i really want a google pixel, but sadly its only with verizion and i dont have that carrier. (thats a cell service in america, for those nonamericans)

Robert_Porter

Banned
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Oct 30, 2018
As it is disappointed with this regular model of Google Pixel, when compared with competitors

Years
MKBHD (one of the big tech reviewers on YT) put it quite nicely in his Pixel 3 XL review that this will be a phone defined by its notch, even despite the other good qualities of the phone like the camera, screen, overall performance, etc.

Let's hope Google does better on the Pixel 4, I suppose. Should've kinda seen this coming considering 2018 is the year of the notch, but alas.

Back