• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga The Worst

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
What's the worst anime/manga you've ever seen/read, and why?

tbh, Pupa for me....there is so much wrong with that series, I don't even know where to even begin. I honestly don't know Japan gets away with a series like this. Thank god the episodes are only 4 minutes long.

There are others, but this one is the worst.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
Most of the never-ending shonen formulas are series I can't stand. Naruto, One Piece, Bleach, Pokemon, Fairy Tail... but some of the worst things I've ever seen are, no particular order:

Gun x Sword: It's so insanely awful, you'd think it's an intentional parody. I actually used this series as influence to write an intentionally bad fanfic once, based on the writing style of a really moronic ex-friend of mine, who was a mega otaku, and it blended so well.

El Cazador Del La Bruha: They try to bring back ancient Mexican witches to take over the Japanese government. Doesn't that say it all?
Pandering and awful characters, with the little cute mute kid trope thrown on top of it.

Dragonball Super: Literally the worst anime series I have ever seen. When you thought the DBZ fanfics of the 90's couldn't get worse... they made them official.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: I know this series is mega popular, but I hate almost everything about it. The horrendous writing and the even worse character designs; it's quintessential style over substance to me, which is something I greatly dislike in my writing.

pkmin3033

Mahou Shouja Madoka Magica. It's poorly written, relies solely on the shock value of pointless suffering in order to push forward its meagre narrative without bothering to properly explore its themes or develop its awful cast, has an unappealing art style, and is neither a magical girl show nor a deconstruction despite the toxic fanbase pushing both viewpoints on you if you so much as breathe in the general direction of the show. It's another one of those dark and edgy shows that is only popular because it's dark and edgy, and not from any noteworthy quality.

It also started an annoying trend of similar shows. It's like the Ocarina of Time of anime or something.

Years
El Cazador Del La Bruha: They try to bring back ancient Mexican witches to take over the Japanese government. Doesn't that say it all?
Pandering and awful characters, with the little cute mute kid trope thrown on top of it.

Sold. I've seen and really liked other shitty Bee Train girls and guns series. All I really knew of this one was the song about tacos.

Last edited:

Miss Wendighost

Satan's Little Princess
Years
Worst I have encountered yet is High School of the Dead. It had the potential to be decent, but the nonstop sexual content surrounding the main protagonists just got pointless and uncomfortable to watch.

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
Years
Anime De Training! Ex. It's a series of shorts comprised entirely of an anime girl teaching you how to exercise. In order to make it "entertaining," they added a bunch of echii shots. It's pure fan service with nothing else.

Kai

Wayfarer
Years
Bob Epic Team

This trashy show within a show has a terrible plot, bad voice acting, horrendous graphics, and inconsistency between episodes. That said, it's what the creators wanted so all of this is actually a compliment.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
Anime De Training! Ex. It's a series of shorts comprised entirely of an anime girl teaching you how to exercise. In order to make it "entertaining," they added a bunch of echii shots. It's pure fan service with nothing else.

I watched that anime. It was awful. Tbh, all self insert anime are lmfao. I don't know how anyone could feel entertained by self inserts.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jan 26, 2020
Things like "Kanokon" for instance. It was simply over the edge in every category. Someone wanted me to make a review on it. And i did. Unfortunately.

Years
Things like "Kanokon" for instance. It was simply over the edge in every category. Someone wanted me to make a review on it. And i did. Unfortunately.

Ah, yes, one of the numerous harem anime and manga with gratuitous fanservice and a low quality adaptation from an animation and art standpoint from the mid-2000s. A dime a dozen those were.

Commander Saturn

Information Broker
Years
Hyouka. I'm quite biased as a mystery fanatic and I find the tedious and elementary "mysteries" that this anime showcases to be a repulsive addition to the mystery genre. The art is sublime, I'll say that, but the boring (and I do not use this word lightly as things seldom bore me) story, character interactions and "mysteries" completely ruin it. I started episode one, eleven times before I managed to finish it because I was that severely bored. I figured out the first "mystery" in a matter of seconds and the main female character has to be the most annoying individual that I might have ever witnessed real or fiction.
That said, a lot of people love this anime so I wouldn't knock it just on my review.

Years
Hyouka. I'm quite biased as a mystery fanatic and I find the tedious and elementary "mysteries" that this anime showcases to be a repulsive addition to the mystery genre. The art is sublime, I'll say that, but the boring (and I do not use this word lightly as things seldom bore me) story, character interactions and "mysteries" completely ruin it. I started episode one, eleven times before I managed to finish it because I was that severely bored. I figured out the first "mystery" in a matter of seconds and the main female character has to be the most annoying individual that I might have ever witnessed real or fiction.
That said, a lot of people love this anime so I wouldn't knock it just on my review.

I think the problem with Hyouka isn't so much that the anime itself is super bad, it's that it's really over hyped by people because of how good the animation is. So you go in expecting something amazing and when what you get is only middling it's really disappointing.

Years

What it seems to be to me is a slice of life that masquerades and brands itself as a mystery series. Disclaimer: I haven't actually watched it yet despite intending to basically since its release.

Commander Saturn

Information Broker
Years
I think the problem with Hyouka isn't so much that the anime itself is super bad, it's that it's really over hyped by people because of how good the animation is. So you go in expecting something amazing and when what you get is only middling it's really disappointing.

I actually went into it without seeing any of the hype or reviews; I was initially drawn in by the lackadaisical Houtarou Oreki, after seeing his character suggested from a Shikamaru fanpage, and once I realised that he was from a mystery anime I was all in.
It just personally offends me that it is even consider a mystery anime. As a test, I asked a close friend who knew nothing about the series to watch the first episode and he figured out the "mystery" within the first couple of minutes himself despite not having a real knack for such. If people can enjoy it, as a mystery anime, that actually would impress me greatly.

What it seems to be to me is a slice of life that masquerades and brands itself as a mystery series. Disclaimer: I haven't actually watched it yet despite intending to basically since its release.

I tend to love slice of life animes, Barakamon being my personal favourite, but this show was just slow and I didn't feel like I gained anything from watching the series at all. No joy, amusement, etc. If you do happen to watch it at any point, feel free to leave me a wall comment on what you thought about it as I would be most curious (no pun to this anime intended).

Years
Hmm for the long term I would say Final Fantasy Unlimited. For me it took the formulaic storyline that Pokémon got bogged down on during the Johto arc and ratcheted it up to 11.

Find a problem, encounter the creature, fight, get saved by the main mysterious hero, summon a creature to end the fight, continue on.

I can't believe I stuck with the series but I was desperate to see it through.

Recently I would say Assassin's Pride. The anime had an interesting premise and potential but either went to fast or absolutely ignored some of it's better ideas for things like a fetch quest or a tournament arc.

Uragirimono

this profile is embarassing dont look at me
Years
  • Age 19
  • Seen Oct 6, 2023
Maybe JJBA part 3? I hated it so much that I dropped the series for months.
It was so immature and boring at times that I couldn't force myself to read any more.

Back