• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

4th Gen Lugia or Ho-Oh?

Lugia or Ho-Oh?

• Total voters
Years
The old thread was dead, so time for a remake.

This one's easy, do you like the sea-dwelling Psychic/Flying Lugia or the sky guardian Fire/Flying Ho-Oh?

Vote in the poll and give us reasons!

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
Right now I'm liking Lugia much more than Ho-oh. Although I've supported Ho-oh countlessly, Lugia's design has really grown on me, to the point now that I prefer it over Ho-oh. In HGSS, Lugia looked amazing flying behind you! It's got a great design with a intricate stroyline behind it. However, the only think that made me dislike about it was the fact that it' typing is Psychic & Water, not Water & Flying.

Last edited:

Snowdrop

Back and ready to babble!
Years
Even though I bought SoulSilver, honestly I prefer Ho-Oh a little bit more. Sky appeals to me more than sea, and Ho-Oh has some sort of traditional, ancient look to it that makes me really love it.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 26, 2021
Pokemon Silver was my first game I got when the second generation came out pulse Lugia got its own movie. Don't get me wrong though I like Ho-oh as well just not as much as Lugia.

Years
I like both of them for different reasons, but Lugia will always hold a special place in my heart after an epic Lugia vs. Lugia battle with my cousin back on Pokemon Gold. It ended up going so long that one of our Game Boy's batteries died, so I'll always prefer Lugia out of the two.

Affliction

Booted out - don't be like me!
Years
  • Age 46
  • Seen Sep 3, 2016
Ho-Oh will ALWAYS be the best to me. I had both Pokemon Gold and Pokemon Heart Gold, and I liked Ho-Oh very much. I never liked Lugia at all, because of a HORRIBLE design, a HORRIBLE Type Combination, and it is a Defender not an Attacker. In Generation IV, Lugia became even more of a nuisance, because it's Battle Sprite Front is just Terrible. Plus Fire-Types are one of my Favourite Pokemon Types.

Years
I played SoulSilver, so I go with Lugia.

Not to mention it's a Psychic and it has association with Water, which are two of my favorite types.

It's definitely my fave Johto Legendary.

Years
I have SS but don't have HG so Lugia! And mainly because I captured him first before Ho-Oh and I love water types even though Lugia isn't the fact that it was seen in anime swimming and stuff I consider it a water types. I just love the design to!

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

I prefer Lugia, mainly because Ho-oh looks like a mess of colours to me, but I love Lugias design as well, especially its shiny. But, I think Ho-oh is starting to grow on me. I am starting to like it's detailed design more and i'm starting to think that Lugia's design is a bit boring. Typewise, I prefer Ho-oh's typing and moves, but Lugia still gets my vote. :)

Years
  • Age 34
  • UK
  • Seen Jan 29, 2013
Lugia. I'm not sure why, I think it's because of The Power of One. It's odd though, 'cause I do love Fire-types.

Mentalii

Back
Years
Lugia FTW ! SS mascot, graceful, strong ... It's always been my fav since Silver version, I mean, I always prefered it over Ho-Oh, which is still a Pokémon I love anyway.

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
They're both kinda overrated but I'd have to choose Lugia over Ho-Oh. One, Lugia has a bigger move pool and 2 Lugia's design looks a lot cooler.

Is it just me or did you guy's have a problem solving Ho-Oh's puzzle in the Ruin of Alph in Silver the first time you tried. It took me so long to figure it out cuz I never did it before but now can do it with no problems.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Lugia! Tbh I always thought Lugia was either Flying/Dragon or Water/Dragon when I first saw it and even after I found out it wasn't it was still difficult to believe, but I love it nonetheless. It's very cute for a legendary Pokémon and it's a complete badass in battle whereas Ho-Oh seems mainly just for show imo. Moltres will always be the Fire bird legendary in my opinion since raining down firey meteors from the sky seems much cooler than a flying rainbow bird! But yeah, I love Lugia so I'm going with her n.n

Rainbow Arcanine

now known as aslan
Years
This is really difficult for me, I just love them both xD. But if I had to pick one I'd actually said the colourful Ho-oh. The design is colourful and elegant, Ho-oh resembles this huge bird. And since birds are some of my favourite creatures, why not love Ho-oh xD? Honestly, it's a great legendary in my opinion. And since I played HG first, I kinda grew on Ho-oh before encountering Lugia.

Lugia is pretty awesome too, but I prefer Ho-oh.

TheLeetCasualGamer

Hi, I'm strange :3
Years
Ho-oh

-It was one of the first Pokemon Ash saw and holds a lot of symbolism within that scene

-In HG/SS it makes a lot more sense with the Kimono girls

-It was born from the ashes of the burnt tower and also created the 3 legendary felines, Entei/Raikou/Suicune

I still love Lugia and I have a lot of memories from it, but Ho-Oh just beats it in concept, design, and I feel overall usefulness in my opinion.

Back