• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you have any Pokemon gaming quirks?

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
Years
For me, I always have to have three females and three males in my team. I also have to have a fire, water, flying and electric type in my team (the next two are usually random types), but I'm not sure if that counts as really a quirk.

Is there anything you do in the games that you find as quirky or unique?

Years
I only like having Pokémon on my team that debuted in whichever region I'm playing. But I do make exceptions for cross-gen evolution's (so Togekiss in HGSS is fine) and Alolan forms.

Sorvete

Novice
Years
I always like to have at least one Pokémon in my team to learn the HM's Fly an Surf. I hate having slaves for those two in particular, and I hate having them in general as well

Just like you said, I also like to have a Water, a Fire and a Grass type in my teams for whatever reason.

It's also worth mentioning that I'm a BIG PP conservator. It's almost annoying how I avoid using moves that'd do great damage in an opponent just to save the PP. It irritates me every time the count gets yellow.

Last edited:

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
Years
I always like to have at least one Pokémon in my team to learn the HM's Fly an Surf. I hate having slaves for those two in particular, and I hate having them in general as well

Yep! I can relate to this, especially since those two happen to be my favorite moves! I usually have a water type to learn surf and a flying type to learn fly.

Years
I hate having multiple party members in my team that share the same weaknesses. I always try and aim for as balanced of a team as possible. :c

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 5, 2021
I like to do themed runs. i did Alpha sapphire with a rotating cast of every fish pokemon, Sun with every bird pokemon, my White 2 team was primary and secondary color-themed, with serperior, azumarill, galvantula, Darmanitan, Liepard and Sigilyph. I've also tried to use all the butterflies/moths (missing mothim and venomoth), I am considering a big cats, foxes or monkeys run for my next Ultra Moon replay and a prehistoric pokemon (either fossils or others like meganium and tropius) run in my next X replay

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
Sometimes I try to catch everything. Not for completion, but I actually find the Pokedex entries to be interesting.

Guest123_x1

Among the various 'quirks' involved with how I play the mainline Pok?mon games are:
*Once I obtain Surf, Fly, and Strength, I almost always make sure that I have Pok?mon that know these moves on my party roster at all times
*The types you will (almost) never see me without at the end of the game (after beating the League Champion) are: Flying, Electric, Water, and Ground.

Last edited:
Years
Another perhaps interesting thing I want to point out is that, for some reason, I rarely include Poison types in my team. It's odd to me because I don't particularly dislike Poison as a type, I just... don't really have most of them on any of my teams. o.o It's weird, I know.

Reyzadren

Arid trainer
Years
I don't include starters into my team of 6 pokemon. This is not quirky, it's about less restriction in team building.

Years
- I try not to evolve my Pokemon on my second playthrough to make things harder for myself, or at least never to their last if its a three tiered thing.

- I try and have an all male team. Chauvinism or not, I just like boys! Don't read too much into that, please.

- Constantly go bust from buying Pokeballs and clothes.

- Never give my Pokemon generic names, like Bob or Pete. It'll always be something witty, random, apt or odd.

- Buy 100,000 revives and 500,000,000 Moo Moo Milks.

- Die. A lot.

That about wraps it up. I'm not too weird, thank you very much.

Years
One quirk that has always restricted my team building a bit is that I always try to have a Fire, Water, and Grass type. I also try not to have types repeat with any of my team members. (Except for Normal, since it is so common and only has one weakness.)

On the weirder side, I also enjoy having a colorful team, for some reason. For example, it would bother me if I had three Pokémon who were mainly red, regardless of how powerful they were. I guess I just like variety!

Years
  • Seen today
I always keep my starter.
I try to catch all of my Pokémon with regular Poké Balls.
I also try to have an all male team (unless the Pokémon is from a species that tends to be female)
I also try to have a Grass, Fire and Water-type Pokémon on my team.
I try to make teams exclusively of Pokémon from the respective generation/region.
I tend to not use legendaries.

Years
I have a strong tendency to assemble my teams based on aesthetics, which sometimes limits me or causes stress, for example when there's a Pokemon I really want but it just won't fit. I truly consider teambuilding an art but sometimes I just wish I didn't. Similarly, I take matching the ball with the Pokemon very seriously.

I cannot used traded Pokemon that have no nickname. Or a stupid one. Needless to say, I nickname every Pokemon I use.

For the longest time I have made it a thing to always end my session with my Pokemon healed and in front of a Pokemon Center.

I always keep my team in order from lowest lv to highest (and then lowest hp to highest) so I always send out the 'weakest' first.

Last edited:
Years
I always aim to use Pokémon I've never use before.

And I use Pokémon in their generation's region - like using only Gen I Pokémon in Kanto, Gen II Pokémon in Johto... (with only exception being various challenges that I do a lot)

And to have Pokémon on the same or higher level that next Gym Leader (or Champion in case of challenging E4) before facing them.

Last edited:

malanaphii

i'm about to monologue, son
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Feb 17, 2023
i always want to use cute pokémon, or pokémon that i like the design of. i won't get a pokémon just because it's cute when i know it's a bad pokémon, but i usually try and find the cutest pokémon of a type i'm looking for. it's been annoying now replaying hgss when i needed a grass type but didn't want oddish or bellsprout lol

Years
I don't know if this counts as a quirk or anything, but I always make sure to talk to nearly every NPC in a given town before proceeding on. I'd hate to have to miss something important because of someone I haven't spoken to.

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
I almost always use one gen 2 pokemon in my playthrough. It's a habit I guess.

I rarely use fire or ice types.

Last edited:
Years
I tend to have the party at the same level, so I rotate the positions so that the lowest level gets to be first in line. Also, I like to have multi typed pokemon in my team, the more unique combos are a bonus.

Back